[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are mages always overpowered in every game? why is this allowed.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 8

File: 373a99827f9ad166ab43efb6745107ca.jpg (603KB, 1024x1000px) Image search: [Google]
373a99827f9ad166ab43efb6745107ca.jpg
603KB, 1024x1000px
Why are mages always overpowered in every game? why is this allowed. Even in card games (D&D/Hearthstone) they're overpowered and better than other classes. If they aren't the best class they're tied first with another, it's bullshit.

Fuck you mage fags
>>
>unlimited power available with magic
>vs some dude with a sharp stick, or some dude with little sharp flying sticks

gee, I wonder why mages are the best?
>>
>>386717242
because their gameplay is mostly shit. so they give them a 'wide range' of things to work with which is just cc and different colored nukes most of the time.
>>
>>386717242
D&D is not a card game.

Also, they're not always broken, but it's a case of linear warriors and quadratic wizards.
>>
File: thalia.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
thalia.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>386717242
Mages, shoo.
>>
>>386717242
Git gud & play a mage.
>>
>>386719379
this.
and this.
>>
>>386717242
>Thinking mages are the strongest
>The strongest mages rely on magic to subdue monsters to do their bidding because they really don't want to fight a warrior in direct combat

They are the strongest in terms of utility, but there is a reason why magic casters rely on dungeons and mazes so much.
>>
>Why are mages always overpowered in every game?

They usually aren't, unless you have infinite mp turned on. Otherwise you gotta make sure you don't blow your load on something that didn't actually warrant it, so that you aren't next to useless when the real threat shows up.
>>
>>386717665
so why can't sharp stick man also be fueled by magic. why can't the sharp flying sticks be influenced and effected by magic?
>>
It's the "you'll all be working for me when we grow up" thing, for people who grew up and became game designers and aren't employing their high school bully.
>>
Play more Atlus games, usually magic sucks compared to physical attacks.
>>
>>386719705
>casters rely on dungeons and mazes so much
So that my living regent dispensers can roam and feed until I need to extract some of their essence for magic components or alchemical ingredients.

What, you think I put them there for you?
I know you were probably the top pig fucker in your shit heap village, and everybody knew it, but the world does not revolve around you.
>>
>>386719962
If that was the case you would make a monster farm instead of a maze or dungeon. Fucking tsundere ass casters.
>>
File: Arcanum Shitpost.png (233KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Arcanum Shitpost.png
233KB, 800x600px
>>386719809
>so why can't sharp stick man also be fueled by magic
He can if he's smart enough to multi-class. Waste of time if you ask me though when you can summon and bind a greater fighter than most mortal opponents you'll find.
>>
>>386720060
>+constitution
>Not +agility or +Cha
>>
>>386720054
Dealing with merchants would take too much time away from my books and circles.
The ratfolk tend to the dungeons underlying mechanics in exchange for my allowing them to habitat it's upper levels and I only care to supply myself or barter on and individual level.
The slimes? Yes, well, I just think they're adorable.
>>
>>386719809
There are plenty of games that do this.
>>
>>386719809
This is my problem with some of these games. Mages get tons of spells but warriors only get to attack, and usually they don't get any special skills so they're stuck using their normal attack forever.
>>
>>386720369
>Dumb adventures not bringing oil flasks and torches to deal with Slimes.

They diverse to lose their weapons and armor and be slapped to death by the gelatinous cube.
>>
>>386720447
Play better games then.
>>
>>386720060
but WHY is a wizard allowed to summon and bind a greater fighter, how come this legendary fighter isn't nearly immune to magic?
>>
Also, are there any games that let me play as an armored brute of a mage?
Something that sacrifices the normal utility and mobility for pure survivability/combat power, and perhaps some terrain based CC.
>>
>>386717242
Because they die in one hit and have finite resources.

Fighters get to work all day long, never losing effectiveness, never slowing down. Rogues get to assassinate, steal, and talk their way out of any situation before it comes to combat. Wizards get to destroy everything from afar, but if anything touches them they fall over.

It's a balancing act. When the wizard is protected well, he's the most valuable player on any team. When he isn't protected, he's a third-rate loser.
>>
>>386717665
>vs some dude with a sharp stick, or some dude with little sharp flying sticks
This has always bothered me in games. When a mage gets stronger their magic improves and they can do inhuman things through their magic. When a warrior gets stronger somehow they can do inhuman things through... physical strength?

How does this make sense? Why don't games make warriors also use magic, just a different kind. They buff themselves and create barriers and what not.
>>
File: fc,550x550,royal_blue.jpg (72KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,royal_blue.jpg
72KB, 550x550px
>>386720950
>why
Normally I charge people to hear me lecture them on the principles of planar tethering and soul binding.

>immune to magic
The summoned creature operates on a different set of principles and values than we on the mortal plane. Lets take a Solar for example. A gilded soldier of light who fights against damnation. My magic is such that I might draw him into our world, but actual service is more of a negotiation at that point. A lesser creature I might magically dominate, but not a Solar...yet. The solar desires the destruction of the unholy, the infernal and the abyssal. To be borrowed from his duties on a higher plane, I might convince him of my cause' worthiness or offer a token that equals his service. Say, a blessed weapon or an artifact they might uncorrupt.
>legendary
Legends? No, most would kill me or damn me for trying. They're probably immune to magic too. A martial suddenly endowed with magic might attempt this, but most wizards are smart.
>>
File: download (1).jpg (80KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
80KB, 600x448px
>>386720369
>This pleb still lives in the physical world and his lol2spooky tower instead of attaining ascendancy and living in a created world of pure arcane energy

You should be ashamed to call yourself a mage, you're cauldron-stirrer as fuck mate.
>>
>>386720950
>but WHY is a wizard allowed to summon and bind a greater fighter, how come this legendary fighter isn't nearly immune to magic?
Why would a fighter be immune to magic? He doesn't know magic, so I don't see how he could be immune to it.
>>
>>386721095
*casts contingency*
>>
File: 1423331228534.jpg (45KB, 336x425px) Image search: [Google]
1423331228534.jpg
45KB, 336x425px
>>386717242
>magic should be as powerful as any other knowledge or craft
why bother then?
>>
>>386721434
In most games, magic is something that's studied, warriors don't study magic. That said, one thing that always bugged me is that the typical warrior/fighter is always made to be a slow guy. If they're fit, wouldn't they be at least decently fast?
>>
Mages are underpowered in WoW.
>>
>>386721607
>In most games, magic is something that's studied
Sorcerers would like a word with you.

Warriors can call their magic "ki" or whatever. It's basically still the same thing. They just use it differently.
>>
>>386721507
>but most wizards are smart
fagic users ACTUALLY believe this
>>
>>386719809
If a mage can toss a mountain with magic, a warrior should be able to suplex it back towards the mage with pure muscle.
If he cant, i know the game / system is shit.
>>
>>386721527
The mortal plane is comfy as fuck and I'd rather keep my portal to the nexus of reality outside of my personal dimension.

>pure arcane energy
It's like you're begging to get your shit fucked with.
>>
File: 1472427402623.png (221KB, 720x1368px) Image search: [Google]
1472427402623.png
221KB, 720x1368px
just get it over with
>>
>>386719809
In Diablo 3 all heroes are fueled by the magic of the nephalen, so even the warrior types are "magical".
>>
>>386721776
Smart, but not necessarily wise. That's gay ass druid shit.
>>
Mages are pretty shit in Skyrim.
>>
>>386722000
That's how it should be.

>>386721885
That's retarded.
>>
>>386722509
He's not wrong. If one class is demonstrably superior to the others in every way, why even bother with the others?
>>
>>386722678
>He's not wrong. If one class is demonstrably superior to the others in every way, why even bother with the others?
Because it's not demonstrably superior. Their power operates on different dimensions. Your wizard is not going to do shit when he's being pummeled by a fighter at that time.
>>
>>386721581
Great, you've got a little barrier or you teleport away. You run away, or you die a little slower.
>>
>>386723052
>*stands his ground*
>*dies*
I'll name one of my homonculi after you
>>
>>386721574
because it's fantasy, and to make things balanced, you have to actually have things of equal level be about equally strong. Maybe like a sorcerer his magic is more innate than studied and it manifests as protection and resistance from common threats such as burning, slashing, stabbing, and beating or it empowers his tissues to heal faster and his muscles to work better.
>>
>>386722825
so a wizard can throw mountains with magic, but somehow a fighter who cannot throw mountains is supposed to get close enough to him to pummel him to death.

when a wizard can do things such as scry, teleport, fly, create barriers, summon creatures, ect. and a fighter cannot, what chance does he have?
>>
>>386723791
That's actually how ancient legends handled it, anyone that was a hero had some sort of supernatural mojo going on. If you were a regular ass human you weren't out slaying monsters, you were running an inn, or raising livestock, or some other thing that didn't require you to be superhuman in any way.
>>
>>386717242
Because developers have no idea how to balance anymore.

Mages should either be so frail that even a cough kills them, or have so many drawbacks when casting any strong spell that players are forced to think when to use those.

Putting absurd prices on their items and making their components absurdly rare is also a must.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.