[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I'm at the iron mine, I've cleared the Kobold Fort,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: bgeelogo_icon.png (186KB, 449x350px) Image search: [Google]
bgeelogo_icon.png
186KB, 449x350px
So I'm at the iron mine, I've cleared the Kobold Fort, and the gameplay is all pretty shit. Does it get better, or has the game just aged like milk? I'm looking at all the classes and none of them really have any gameplay.

I really want to like this game because i like newer crpgs, but its so hard
>>
gets worse. the exploration is the best part. I always lose motivation when you get to baldur's gate.
>>
>>386714079
The game has aged fine. You're just a faggot.
>>
What don't you like about the gameplay? If it's the difficulty; the starting areas are very difficult and the game starts to go more smoothly once you hit level three or four or so. I think the game has aged well and I still play it every couple of years.
>>
If you want to try an RPG that's a similar style, but has much more momentum behind it, you should try Icewind Dale. Back in the day, it took me a few tries to get into Baldur's Gate but Icewind Dale hooked me from the get-go. I think the difficulty curve is fairer, too. It's entirely linear, unlike BG, but the world is so varied and interesting that you still feel the satisfaction of exploration. The encounter design and art direction are both unarguably superior, as well, so the game is also more interesting from both a gameplay and world-building perspective.
>>
>>386714297
Combat is easy as fuck, there's no character abilities, and there's not a lot of player interaction. Spellcasters are the only ones you need to micro or imput commands for, and at most, other classes would have one or two per rest abilities.

I read the pdf, I've played some dnd before as well, so I minmaxed a paladin, and made it my goal to get my entire frontline in platemail asap. At the Mine I've got my entire frontline in plate with 1k gold to spare. Combat is absolutely trivial with the high AC. I absolutely steamrolled the Gnolls no contest at all.

Compared to more modern crpgs, this feels more tabletop than video game, and I can kinda feel it struggling due to that.

>>386714612
I'll give it a shot.
>>
>>386714612
I don't know about IWD2, but IWD1 was trash.

>enter an area
>there are three varieties of enemies
>every encounter in that area involves either a mixture of the three or just a giant ass pack of one
>every encounter is just using turn undead or spamming area of effect spells
>the enemies don't do anything interesting, it is just a pure slog
>there isn't really anything to do besides killing giant packs of monsters
>>
>>386714079
Baldur's Gate was the first waifu simulator, now there is literally no reason to play it.
>>
>>386714079
>the gameplay is all pretty shit. Does it get better, or has the game just aged like milk?

no, you are just a casual faggot.

get good or don't play it bitch.
>>
>>386714730
The fights don't really get "hard" in BG1 until at least after Cloakwood, up until then it's mostly just a slog of bandits, kobolds, hobgoblins, gnolls, etc.
BG2 does the difficulty spread a bit better because there's more shit the enemies can do at earlier points in the game. Just one of the many advantages 2 has over 1.
>>
>>386715316

He didn't say he was having trouble with the gameplay. How is he a casual if he is steamrolling everything?
>>
>>386714730
So you found it too easy? Most people have the opposite problem. Try turning the difficulty up; if you're playing the Enhanced Editions, the Normal setting is easier than the Core rules that ran BG when it first came out. If you need MORE player interaction than BG, you may not like Icewind Dale; myself, I find it kind of relieving that it totally dropped so much of the BG world and instead focused on combat (which I found much more fun in IWD than in BG, though that's not usually my thing).

If neither BG nor IWD are doing it for you, and you're still struggling with the desire for a classic RPG, I'd recommend Divine Divinity or Avenum: Escape the from the Pit. The former is like Diablo with much more world-interaction and the latter is a turn-based RPG made by one guy that's similar to the 90s classics of the genre (and is, by the way, a non-linear, fuck-huge world.)
>>
>>386715534
He probably misinterpreted the "it's so hard" at the end and thought he was talking about the difficulty rather than liking the game
>>
>>386714079
>millenniums
>>
>>386714079
>I'm looking at all the classes and none of them really have any gameplay.

The gameplay is managing an entire party of 6. Its frankly for the best that many of the classes have very few abilities beyond hitting the enemy; having to micromanage your entire party's actions every round would be a huge pain in the ass.
>>
>>386715557
Yeah, I am on EE normal, that probably has some impact on the gameplay.

I just want more gameplay, rather than the 'watch my guy do the wiggle waggle with his sword until the bad guy dies', cause I feel like I'm watching that more than I'm playing the game.

And I do enjoy the genre, I just really find BG's overall gameplay to be too slow. I'm so used to so much more mechanical depth.

>>386715819
>having to micromanage your entire party's actions every round would be a huge pain in the ass.
But that's why I like Pillars of Eternity on normal or higher. Its got so much shit going on you have to frequently pause like every half second to micro.
>>
>>386714730
> there's no character abilities, and there's not a lot of player interaction. Spellcasters are the only ones you need to micro or imput commands for, and at most, other classes would have one or two per rest abilities.
welcome to dungeons and dragons. they finally fixed that shit in 4th edition, but then people complained so they backpedaled on it for 5th edition.
>>
>>386716031
You and I have had the opposite experience. I felt like Baldur's Gate was the game that actually took some thought to play, whereas Pillars of Eternity was a video-game simulator, or a let's play with a host I could stand. Have you thought of trying a turn-based game or an action RPG? Alternatively, people praise the combat of Dragon Age: Origins, but I've honestly never got into it (I found BG superior, though).
>>
>>386716031
I'd argue you don't need to do that in pillars either. Paladin/Fighter/Chanter all basically have abilities you can only use once or twice each encounter. The only difference is the per-rest system and well BG2's high level abilities shit on anything pillars has in terms of micromanagement once you get to that point.
>>
>>386714079
cRPGs are all trash.
>>
>>386716993
>once you get to that point
That's a damn large chunk of hours before that starts happening though. My level 6 party in PoE was forcing me to pause every couple seconds at least.

At what point do you start unlocking more micro focused play?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.