[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UNDERRAIL: I really want to get into this game but I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 9

File: we wuz mind controllaz.jpg (424KB, 1194x1024px) Image search: [Google]
we wuz mind controllaz.jpg
424KB, 1194x1024px
UNDERRAIL:
I really want to get into this game but I've heard a lot of mixed things like it's just insanely unbalanced and you can ruin your character if not min/maxed etc etc.

I've played about an hour in and I've focused mainly on guns / psi... so far seems cool.. anyone care to offer a more in-depth opinion on this game?

Also fuckin' sci-fi rpg recommendations pls, no fallout or deus-ex etc.
>>
I wouldn't know, because all games like this where you have to control the merchants gold when trading trigger me instantly and I click un-install.
>>
File: earbuds.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
earbuds.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
Bump because I have the same question.
>>
File: urail.jpg (654KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
urail.jpg
654KB, 1920x1080px
It seems like too much of an early fallout wannabe, that's these newer "retro" game's problems(axiom verge, etc). They take obvious inspiration from their predecessors, but instead of creating a new spin on a great idea, they just end up creating a poor clone that's not as good as the original, in all aspects.
>>
Pro-Tip: Discard any opinion of Underrail which compares it to Fallout
>>
>>386711309
I played underrail before fallout 1 so it was all so original to me.
>>
You don't need to min-max hard, but you can definitely spread yourself too thin. If you're putting points in almost every skill, you've got a problem.
Underrail's strengths are combat and exploration. With the exception of one pretty infamous build, the game remains a really nicely balanced challenge right through to the end. Personally Underrail completely flipped my opinions on what makes for good turn based combat.
>>
>>386711947
It could easily be a mod for Fallout 1. You're an idiot if you don't think they're similar.
>>
>>386712072
You're definitely the minority here, and just like in real life you don't matter
>>
>>386711947
It has very similar atmosphere and game structure to Fallout 1. Comparing these 2 is absolutely valid.
>>
>>386712240
>>386712448
Surface level similarities which don't hold as the game unfolds, anyone who played even up to Junkyard would know that it plays almost nothing like Fallout, at least as far as isometric turn based combat goes.
It's frustrating to me that people mentally retard their abilities to develop analysis of a game because they spend all their thoughts on comparing it to another game rather than appreciating it on its own.
We should ban all RPGs and make gaming in public illegal
>>
>>386712695
they're similar as in bloodborne is similar to the souls games.

Like I said, it's so similar it could be a mod of Fallout 1. There's nothing wrong with it, but it's obviously true. They're two different games but are based on the same platform.

Quit being butthurt, it's not necessarily a bad thing that the game is similar. Why is it triggering you so hard?
>>
>>386713035
They are nowhere near that similar. See what you've done? You've fucked it. Your insistence on Fallout Comparison. Piece of shit.
>>
File: The Edge.png (435KB, 1019x765px) Image search: [Google]
The Edge.png
435KB, 1019x765px
>that warehouse
>>
>>386712695
>it plays almost nothing like Fallout, at least as far as isometric turn based combat goes
Yes. It has different game system under the hood and plays differently in that aspect, but when people compare it to Fallout 1 they usually focus on RP in RPG. It has similar story structure - help your "home" and get caught in some bigger shit while doing so. Gameplay wise Underrail also, just like Fallout 1, focuses on your character alone. No companion bullshit from F2 or other "classic" RPG. The whole setting is also reminiscence of F1. Factions striving for power, where none of them can be considered as "good" or "bad" just different shades of gray.
Frankly getting buttmad at people comparing it to original Fallout is for me giveaway sign of autism.
>>
File: nominal.jpg (61KB, 704x588px) Image search: [Google]
nominal.jpg
61KB, 704x588px
>>386713234

If they're not similar why does everyone compare them? Why does it trigger people like you so much? If someone compared mario 64 and crash bandicoot, noone would care, because they're not similar at all.

It only angers you so much because it's true.
>>
>>386713393
Love that moment.
>>
File: Cleaning Up Filth.png (864KB, 1276x952px) Image search: [Google]
Cleaning Up Filth.png
864KB, 1276x952px
>>386710731
>guns / psi
As I played, I regretted the points I put into guns as PSIboi, while falling into the trap of feeling as if I needed to keep leveling the skill just in so that I had a secondary IF anything really went wrong. I never had enough guns to actually use them, but I still walked around with a gun.
>>
>>386713587
Smelly Fallout Comparer! Smelly Fallout Comparrer! Smelly Fallout Comparer! Blomp! Blump! Blerp! Fallout! Fallout! Fallout! Whrharhr!! wahrawr! Momdog! Fallout! Brhehr.
>>
File: cwc.jpg (84KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
cwc.jpg
84KB, 900x900px
>>386713807
>Runs into gamestop and screams "I DEMAND YOU TO STOP COMPARING UNDERRAIL TO FALLOUT"
>>
Only played for about 2 hours. I think I stopped after being unable to get past the robots.
Gonna try again, actually. The game is really solid but nothing in it has caught my interest fully yet.
>>
>>386713934
UNDERRAIL HAS SQUARE TILES!!!
>>
>>386713981
It took me three tries. I only gave it that many tries because /v/ threads said "it gets good"
When it finally clicked, it stole a week and a half of my life. My life became work-underrail-sleep
>>
>>386713652

Yeah, I did just a complete blind start and I always go for more of an aesthetic / roleplay build than for balance / stats. It usually backfires on me but I just thought it'd be so cool to be a gunslinging mind-controller
>>
>>386710731
game is unforgiving and hard as fuck. definitely try to take a few skills and max them. Jack of all trades wont work. be sure to savescum a lot.

Other than that, great game with somewhat interesting story. Atmosphere is top notch and the art style works perfectly here. Too bad you never get companions. Feels lonely at times.

Also, its fascinating how deep some mechanics go. You wouldn't expect that from a game like this today.

Definitely worth a playthrough but not for the light hearted. Especially if you don't look up guides
>>
File: STEM Wins Again.png (1MB, 1279x719px) Image search: [Google]
STEM Wins Again.png
1MB, 1279x719px
>>386714101
For the future we know that one or the other is better...except for that one part
>>
>>386714175
I think the lonely feeling works perfectly.
When I first started Underrail, I missed having a party, but as I got further into it and took on stronger enemy groups, I found that the quality of combat was so far above any recent party-based RPGs I'd played that I want more one man RPGs now.
>>
File: Melee Fags.png (841KB, 1278x721px) Image search: [Google]
Melee Fags.png
841KB, 1278x721px
>>386714308
>I want more one man RPGs now
Same feeling. I played Shadowrun Dragonfall and HK after Underrail and although I enjoyed all the experiences, a system that allows for a single character to develop along different specs that will still make him viable, while providing the single use and crafting skills to shore up their weaknesses/save them when their primary damage method no-long works was satisfying. It's the problem solving aspect that it demands of you. A properly built full party equips you with the one guy or girl that can, say, do stealth. It feels like more of an accomplishment to succeed at things you're not specced in through the careful use of items and equipment.

And one man crowd control is awfully empowering too.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.