[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here's some backstory if you want to know why they rebooted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

File: 1502283486327[1].jpg (746KB, 950x1185px) Image search: [Google]
1502283486327[1].jpg
746KB, 950x1185px
Here's some backstory if you want to know why they rebooted DMC of of all games.

You'd think Capcom would be happy with the 2-3 million sales of DMC games. You're wrong. God of War games sell like 8 million copies. That's what Capcom wanted. Keiji Inafune got the idea to appeal more to a Western audience for more sales. This is how "Shadow of Rome" (2005) was made. The idea was to make a Devil May Cry action style game, but was give it a Western setting to appeal to Westerners. It got good reviews, but middling sales. SoR was made by the Japanese and merely aped Western settings. As Exec Producer, he cancelled the planned sequel and put the team to work on Dead Rising.

Inafune then continues to rise in the company, until he rose to head of R&D and head of production making him one of the most powerful people in the company by 2010. In 2009, he decided that Western games were the future, and that Japanese games were dead. So he went back to the idea of a Westernized Devil May Cry game but this time, he would have a Western studio produce the next Devil May Cry game. So Inafune blocked plans for DMC4:SE and DMC5, and him and his Right Hand Man Ben "It's better than nothing" Judd found Ninja Theory and they were hired. Ninja Theory then suggested a full reboot rather than a sequel. Inafune left Capcom in Oct. 2010, just 1 month after DmC was announced. So he didn't oversee the game itself, but he put everything in motion.

This was just one game out of several where Inafune pushed Western devs in the time period of 2009-2013. Lost Planet 3, Dead Rising 3-4, Bionic Commando were all done by Western Studios. Bionic Commando was a 20 million dollar bomb, that led to Ben Judd, then a promising new Producer at Capcom to be ousted from the company. He would then move to DDM, an agency company where he would continue his crimes against gaming. He was the brainchild behind Scalebound, and Mighty Number 9 and Bloodstained's kickstarter campaigns.
>>
>>386706787
>That's what Capcom wanted.
So they hired the studio that made Heavenly Sword, which sold 1.6 million copies? That sounds like a smart business strategy.
>>
>>386706787
this game doesn't appeal to western audiences who the fuck did they seek guidance from? the fucking twilight movies?
>>
how about the fact it called out jew overlords demons so it got panned
>>
File: 1499723349257.png (253KB, 800x803px) Image search: [Google]
1499723349257.png
253KB, 800x803px
>oh man guys Jap games totally suck the West makes the best games
>oh man let me hire Ninja Theory to make the next Devil May Cry game without actually doing any research on them and not discover that they didn't actually write their first two games
>oh man I hate how Japan constantly recycles the same tired games over and over. Here let me make a Megaman clone
>>
You know what I'm bother by most? It's not even the reboot. It's the combat. If they fucking fine tuned it more. It'd be pretty decent for a Western game. But look at that new game they just released. The combat looks they threw away everything they learned from the reboot and made the most simple unsatisfying combat this gen. Like dude why? You had something good going for you.
>>
>>386707069
NT games get good reviews because they're the exact kind of short, easy, pretentious, and surface-deep games that """""professional""""" game journalists like, so even if their games sell like shit they can always say they're "critically acclaimed" to vie for more production deals
>>
File: Western Anime.jpg (139KB, 754x661px) Image search: [Google]
Western Anime.jpg
139KB, 754x661px
>"DMC is too anime"
>DmC is literally anime
>>
File: ninja theory strawmen.jpg (524KB, 1531x797px) Image search: [Google]
ninja theory strawmen.jpg
524KB, 1531x797px
>>386707204
>>386707069

I'm not saying the strategy worked, I'm just explaining Capcom's thinking. Inafune-san seems to think that Westerners had some magic touch that resulted in huge sales. He seems to be ignoring that Western devs range some shit to great just like Japanese devs, with NT falling right into the boring middle mediocre ground.

Here are some Ninja Theory slides explaining their aesthetic choices. It's all late 90's early 2000's films they're referencing, which ironically heavily dates the game. They also cherry pick probably Dante's worst and most outlandish outfit, which he only has for one weapon, in one game, and try to compare it with gay cowboys, hair metal. The Deep Irony, is that DMC has always been a heavily Western looking, grounded and "cool" series. Dante is American, set in either American cities, or European castles with European architecture. DMC was never some outlandish "anime" series with modern anime art styles and so forth. DmC doesn't look THAT different. And anything outlandish DMC did, DmC also did.

And I bet NT never bothered to play or look at any game besides 4. 1 is even more subdued, and grounded.

Now, DMC does have anime/manga influencs, but these series are old as shit and avoid most of the modern failings of anime that make them niche. Dante is heavily inspired by Cobra from Space Adventure Cobra. Who is in turn, heavily inspired by Han Solo. So it's not like Cobra is this super "Japanese" character whom Westerners can't get.
>>
>>386708315
Because the meagre combat that was in DmC wasn't entirely done by NT. Capcom interfered in the last minute and did wuay they can to salvage the gameplay as best they can. Same shit happened for DR2 as well.
>>
>>386708602
And I thought DMC4 was ripping off Bleach hard.
>>
File: 1316650001572.png (188KB, 424x470px) Image search: [Google]
1316650001572.png
188KB, 424x470px
>>386706787
>Lost Planet 3
The problem with this wasn't the choice of a western developer. The problem is that he chose a shovelware dev like Spark Unlimited. They work cheap, but make shit.
>>
>>386706787
They should have hired Itagaki to lead the next devil may cry. Ninja Gaiden black is a DMC clone that is better than DMC itself.
>>
>>386708615
I think we all saw and laughed at those here. Tameem's incoherent concept of "cool" still baffles to this day.
>>
>>386709019
>Tameem's incoherent concept of "cool" still baffles to this day.

I get it. Tameem and the rest of Ninja theory were teens in the late 90's, and they thought Fight Club was the shit. They like dirty punks and edgy teens. This is just their aesthetic preferences. They're fine for having it, but it's not some magic potion for sales. That look is itself heavily dated, so it's ironic that they tried to make DMC more modern and Western by making it look like 20 year old movies.
>>
proofs?
>>
>>386709019

The best story was the one guy who was brought on to help with Enslaved and was baffled that the team thought a scene where the main character murders an innocent escaping slave was super badass instead of fucking psychotic
>>
>>386709019
>Tameem's incoherent concept of "cool" still baffles to this day.

Anyone have the Tameem reboot series of images? It's the idea of Tameem reboot various series like Crash, Mario, Sonic, etc. The idea being making them all more "grounded" by making them dirty smoking punks.
>>
>>386708816
Ninja theory Bleach game when?
>>
File: 1448327882527.png (77KB, 617x1481px) Image search: [Google]
1448327882527.png
77KB, 617x1481px
>>386710218
All I have is a MGS one but here.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.