[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will it actually come out? I'm doubting it will at this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

File: Half-Life-3.jpg (30KB, 615x410px) Image search: [Google]
Half-Life-3.jpg
30KB, 615x410px
Will it actually come out? I'm doubting it will at this point. Valve doesn't seem to care anymore, just rake in money from steam and skin sales from csgo, dota2 and tf2 and call it a day. What a shame.
>>
This conclusion was reached by every other person on earth in 2015. A positive waste of a thread
>>
File: 1495085171963.jpg (647KB, 2696x2232px) Image search: [Google]
1495085171963.jpg
647KB, 2696x2232px
>>386696526
I abandoned all hope around 2014

The sooner you come to terms with it, the less it hurts. the pain never leaves however
>>
>yfw it's a fucking card game
>>
2months and it will be 10th anniversary for HL2:Ep2
>>
>>386696526
No, it won't. The original writers are gone and Valve has absolutely no financial incentive to make it.

All releasing it now would do is incite countless people to rave about how it wasn't worth the ridiculously long wait.
>>
no. One thing I never see people mention is that valve's employees own stock in valve, so they profit off of big money making games.

portal 2 proved that single player and co-op focused stuff won't make as much money as multiplayer cash shops. Therefore no one there wants to make another portal or HL. There will never ever be another one, unless valve licenses/sells the IPs. There's no special stories on why they won't come out, it's simply greed. End of story.
>>
>>386696526
The writers all left, if they could finally accept it wasn't ever happening, so should you.
>>
Left 4 Dead was released on the tenth anniversary of Half Life. Face it, Zombies are the 10's, Aliens are the 00's, and Dinos are the 90's.
>>
All the talent behind Half Life and Portal have left Valve because they are no longer a game dev. Nu-Valve exists as a manager of the Steam marketplace and to put up some cash grab no effort content AKA skins and DOTA card game.
>>
>>386696526
how many times per day you make this stupid thread?
>>
>>386699134
Where does all the money go? What does Gabe do with it?
>>
>>386698658
Pretty much this
>>386698618
and this

They probably won't even bother farming it out to another developer as it would just be a guaranteed disaster, a PR nightmare even worse than artifact.

Valve as a game developer is dead, and it has been dead since they finished Portal 2, and realized after how it went irrelevant after less than a year, despite all the work spent on it, and how they can simply just hand Counter Strike to Turtle Rock and monetize the shit out of items in that and Dota 2, and pretty much make billions off of that shit instead of sinking millions into a game that probably won't even make back it's budget for all eternity. The valve that actually put care and effort into making games is dead, the current valve just bullshit "monetize counter strike and dota forever", you're never going to get Half Life 3, and even if you do, it will be a bigger fucking disaster than Duke Nukem Forever and every other over hyped game combined
>>
>>386696526
I've made this comment before but here goes:
I don't want Half-Life 3 to come out, ever. The amount of time that's passed since HL2e2 (which was an above average shooter at best) means that there is no possible way HL2e3/HL3 could ever live up to the hype. It's replaced Duke Nukem Forever at this point.
I just want them to release a comic series, or a 30-45min long SFM movie, or EVEN have Gabe release a series of tweets of the basic plot outline of HL2e3/HL3. It's been so long I don't even want a game anymore, I just want an ending.
>>
>>386699737
Laidlaw has long retired, there won't be a true ending
>>
File: bigus.jpg (101KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
bigus.jpg
101KB, 900x900px
>>386696526
>I'm doubting it will at this point
>at this point
>>
>>386699563
It just goes into their paychecks, Gabe has well over a 4 billion dollar worth. Gabe isn't as jewish as some CEOs, he actually gives his employees a good pay considering they work at the most profitable company per employee on the face of the Earth, but no one actually works on anything worth while.
>>
>another tech demo with a paper-thin excuse for a plot
>crossover with Portal nonsense
Why would you want HL3 after the schizophrenic physics fest of HL2? Just play the original again, fuck sake
Stop whining and crying about Valve being a for-profit corporation
>>
>>386700242
That's part of the problem though. Since Valve employees are so well paid and Valve does profit sharing, they want to only work on shitty low effort cash shop shit too. The ones that have a conscious moved on, like the writers.
>>
>E3 2019
>Gabe drives on stage on a mobility scooter
>huge 3 appears on screen
>people start cheering like mad
>the title appears
>HALF LIFE 3
>the arena explodes in joy
>THE CARD GAME
>>
face it though, even if it came out it wouldn't live up to the hype because valve rushed it after waiting a long time after episode 2 to begin development
>>
>>386696526
No other AAA company makes single players that aren't open world shit anymore, why do people expect Valve to?
>>
>>386700914
Because Valve are the good guys.
>>
The episodes were meant to be a trilogy and that trilogy has been abandoned, so the episodes should be treated as an unfinished game and therefore disregarded completely in terms of canon.

The Half-Life series ends with Gordon Freeman being put back into stasis, which is a much less painful cliffhanger than the one at the "end" of the two-thirds finished three-part game, so just learn to live with it.
>>
>>386701010
Valve's last single player game was Portal 2, and that was 6 years ago, and they sure as hell aren't going to start doing it again now, unless it's some bullshit walking simulator that only lasts 5 minutes
>>
>>386701568
You mean like The Lab?
>>
>>386701097
My head canon is that Gordon dies after getting brain trauma from the Advisors during the events of Ep2, and thus Gordon Freeman's journey is over
>>
Valve is the one who started this meme.

>They announce they are working on it
>It doesn't come out, no trailer or anything
>People ask if they are still working on it
>They respond "We can't answer that question at this time."

WHAT??

Why can't they just say no? Are they still working on it or not ?
>>
>>386701649
>Another fucking VR tech demo
Seriously, VR is not going to catch on if all the shit is just going to be pretty tech demos that you stand around for, and the only interesting shit is just a dumb add on for FPS games that you don't really need
>>
>>386701097
That's bullshit, if a TV show ends without a finale it's not entirely disregarded, faggot
>>
HL3 doesn't make sense right now because as a game that will primarily be played on PC there is the very real danger that Valve will be shut out of a large chunk of the market by Microsoft with the upcoming Windows 10 S release which will disable the users ability to install Steam, and Valve's own efforts to get users to switch to a more open platform have so far been fruitless despite the statements of Valve management several times that HL3 would only make sense once Linux use on Steam reaches 3%.

A card game on the other hand will be a good test of Source 2's ability to deliver content to mobile devices, and possibly the web like several other modern engines that support output to WASM/WebGL. Platforms that Valve is unlikely to ever be completely shut out of in the way Microsoft is threatening to do to Valve.

If you still use Steam on Windows, this is the future you chose.
>>
>>386701750
They want to avoid a backlash, and their strategy is to simply make people forget.
>>
>>386701961
>Windows 10 S release which will disable the users ability to install Steam
what?
>>
>>386701825

It is to me. Unfinished stories are trash. That's why I don't watch a TV show if it's clear that the writers want the show to go on forever (i.e. deliberately leaving the story unfinished until the show is cancelled).

If a TV show doesn't end on the writer's terms, you wasted your time watching it.
>>
>>386701750

They probably just think it's hilarious because, actually, they never really announced Half-Life 3, but people keep asking about it.

The next game in the series was announced to be Episode Three and that was definitively canceled. And when it became clear that Episode Three was never coming out, people assumed with no evidence that its failed development was magically replaced by the development of Half-Life 3, which was never the case.
>>
>>386701961
>I have no clue what I am talking about
>>
>>386702209
Its a new version of Windows 10 which is launching soon, primarily aimed at the low-end laptop market (the majority of new Windows devices) which will disable the users ability to install or run any software other than UWPs obtained from the Windows Store. Microsoft is going to heavily incentivize OEMs to ship 10 S on their hardware instead of 10, and OEMs will jump at the chance since it shifts the cost burden for Windows and a number of Windows features into DLC the end user will have to purchase instead.

The majority of new Steam installs are from users on low end laptops, this will seriously tank Steam's growth, possibly even threaten its existing user base. The same is almost certainly true of the other third-party developers with their own stores on Windows.

In short this is a threat to PC gaming as we know it, and its unsurprising that Valve are currently spending their money on Linux developers rather than game developers.
>>
>>386701961
>the upcoming Windows 10 S release which will disable the users ability to install Steam

I almost hope this is true. I hope Microsoft is this stupid. Steam is too big and this would be the final nail in the coffin for Windows 10 as a viable gaming platform. Everyone would pirate Windows 7 or finally switch to Linux.
>>
>>386702814
Isn't Windows 10 S only for surface tablets?
>>
Serious question: who gives a fuck about hype? I just want another half life shooter. An evolution of the formula in any regard will be enjoyed extremely by me, whether it's better physics, graphics, animations, weapons, expanded level design, etc. Have most of that without losing what hl 1 and 2 offered and I'll be an extremely happy customer
>>
>>386702851

I don't know. Ask this dude >>386702775
>>
>>386702814
You're an uninformed dumbass. Nothing will ever take away your ability to run regular windows applications on a regular windows 10 desktop OS. It will literally never happen
>>
Now that Grimoire has been released, gaming has officially begun it's incline. Expect HL3 soon, and expect it to be amazing.
>>
>>386702851
No, that's just the first hardware its launching on. Microsoft intends for S to be the replacement for Home.
It wouldn't even be surprising if it replaces Pro with a version that prompts users to download the Pro DLC on the first boot rather than OEMs paying for the more license.
>>
>>386702995

I never said I really believed it.

A man can dream, though.
>>
>>386696526
would you even want this new valve to make HL3? all the people who made the series great left the company, and anyway it'd probably be microtransaction filled shit with an unsatifying ending.

and even if the original team came back and did it, and the game was great, it still really wouldn't be worth the wait and it'd just be a disappointment.

this timeline is better for everyone - just accept that some stories don't get to end the way they were supposed to.
>>
>>386702995

Also, why are you calling me a dumbass when I'm not the one making the apparently false claim? I just commented on it. If you want to dispute the claim, reply to the other guy.
>>
>>386702995
On your existing install, probably not. Its highly unlikely that Microsoft would uninstall the Win32 compatibility layer as part of one of the rolling release updates.

On new installs in a few years however its anyone's guess as to whether you'll have to download DLC (for $50 according to current reports), or if that will even remain an option.
When Microsoft removed the DOS compatibility layer it happened relatively quickly, in part because of the maturity of third party solutions like DOSbox.
>>
File: 1501291876614.jpg (64KB, 760x570px) Image search: [Google]
1501291876614.jpg
64KB, 760x570px
The third box with HL3, F-STOP, L4D 3 will be announced on Half-Life 2: Episode 2's ten anniversary, October 10th, 2017.

Screenshot this post.
>>
>>386696526
it will come out the day valve figures out how to add microtransactions and loot boxes to a single player game
>>
File: windows_store_only.png (100KB, 501x468px) Image search: [Google]
windows_store_only.png
100KB, 501x468px
>>386703717
I want to believe

But January 14th 2020 (the Windows 7 EOL date) seems much more likely.
Valve are going to need to start the post-Windows era with a bang.
>>
All the writers left

valve decided portal 2 was a failed experiment because nobody bought the robot hats

seriously

lol
>>
I wouldn't mind an Episode 3 made on the source engine. Just have the same look as Half life 2 did. Only it can be as long as Episode 1. It will provide an ending.
>>
>>386700437
Not that I don't want HL3, but you have to admit your description of Valve is basically the perfect business model.
>>
>2017
>still believes HL3 could happen
kek
>>
>>386696526
>Valve doesn't seem to care anymore, just rake in money from steam and skin sales from csgo, dota2 and tf2 and call it a day. What a shame.

yeah fuckin hot take dude
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.