[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that DmC flopped ...just because of Dantes hair color?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 223
Thread images: 47

Is it true that DmC flopped ...just because of Dantes hair color?

I kinda prefer DmCs gameplay and the game doesnt look like a gay ass anime anymore.
>>
>>386643405

could be because he looks like a average edge lord faggot ... the kind you see anywhere
>>
>>386643405
>>386643987
It flopped because it tried to pander to the wrong crowd of people

It's thematically speaking an incredibly niche game yet the gameplay itself is casualized to pander to said casuals who in turn won't enjoy the game due to niche artstyle/music/themes

The core audience for "normal" DmC entries clearly felt dismayed at the thought of a different protagonist and having Tameem act like Shakespeare shitting all over their favorite franchise didn't help the cause
>>
>>386643405
>I kinda prefer DmCs gameplay
Bait. DmC's combat is literally and objectively worse in every single aspect than DMC4's.
>>
Fuck you
>>
the gameplay is fundamentally dumbed down and casualized. While the bosses are visually interesting, at least a few of them, none of them are fun to fight. What the fuck was that Vergil fight? You can blame the black hair all you want but the actual combat, what makes the series so celebrated, was dogshit.
>>
>characters are shit
>combat is shit
>story is shit
>dialogue is shit
>"platforming" is shit
>SSS is as easy as picking your nose
gee I don't know fuck you
>>
To this day i still can't believe why they decided to reboot DMC of all games.
DMC4 sold more than the first 3 together, was well received by critics and fans, updated the battle system again and with Nero and Vergil teasing they had easy storylines for multiple sequels.
I mean really? Rebooting Devil May Cry? There are more fucking Uncharted games than DMC ones. What the fuvck were they thinking?
>>
>>386645190
literally blame con-man, he rused Capcom into doing this "lets export our key IP to western devs" thing.
>>
>>386645004
Its better than 1 and 3 by a fucking mile though.
>>
>>386643405
>and the game doesnt look like a gay ass anime anymore.
Are you 12 years old or literally tameem
>>
>>386645316
Oops meant 1 and 2.
>>
>>386645316
>>386645386
>not liking DMC1
Who am I kidding, you didn't play it
>>
File: Western Anime.jpg (139KB, 754x661px) Image search: [Google]
Western Anime.jpg
139KB, 754x661px
>>386643405
>doesnt look like a gay ass anime anymore
>The Vergil DLC was so anime it was even more anime than DMC
>>
>>386645190
Not to mention DMC4 was made with pixie dust and virgin blood, it ran perfectly on my fucking toaster that could barely run anything else from the time.
>>
>>386645707
it's the superiorty of mt framework
>>
Test
>>
>>386643405
totally bro
>>
>I know there's criticism of GAME, but didn't bother to listen to it, so i'll brush it off as "silly arguements"
>>
>>386645907
>Capcom offered the DMC 4 engine to Ninja Theory
>Tamamo Adonlades turned them down, and boasted to journalists about how he would be using the "superior" Unreal Engine instead
>>
>>386643405

Obvious transparent bait. Donte acts like a smug jerk. The type that has anarchist symbols and thinks he knows everything but is really a dumbass.

>>386645121
>While the bosses are visually interesting,

I feel that's all NT can do right. Someone should hire them to do some 3D assets, and then have the Japanese actually program and design the game. Best of both worlds.
>>
File: emomaygay.png (285KB, 448x480px) Image search: [Google]
emomaygay.png
285KB, 448x480px
>>386643405
Nope. It was because of the edgy character and shitty story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHxi3fhRmFs

And yes Donte does like like an emo fag unlike the real Dante.
>>
File: 1502184516394.png (265KB, 376x438px) Image search: [Google]
1502184516394.png
265KB, 376x438px
>the round the clock DmC threads will never come back
>>
>>386646870
At least we got god-tier memes from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bSgQzIs3Zk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyUArTDYYVc
>>
>>386647114
>Mexican Donte
>anything but forced unfunny shit

I swear NT themselves forced that shit meme.
>>
>>386647114
And I actually believed the leaks too. By that point a vorgulsaurus and feeding mundus his diced up kids sounded dangerously plausible
>>
I keep reading about some super edgy scene with a pregnant woman, what was that about?
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (70KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
70KB, 1280x720px
>>386645190
>To this day i still can't believe why they decided to reboot DMC of all games.

Blame Keiji Inafune. He's always been a "Westaboo". He got the idea to appeal more to a Western audience. This is how "Shadow of Rome" (2005) was made. The idea was to make a Devil May Cry action style game, but was given a Western setting to appeal to Westerners. It got good reviews, but middling sales. As Exec Producer, he cancelled the planned sequel and put the team to work on Dead Rising.

Inafune then continues to rise in the company, until he rose to head of R&D and head of production. Inafune was one of the more important people at Capcom. In 2009, he decided that Weestern games were the future, and that Japanese games were dead. So he went back to the idea of a Westernized Devil May Cry game, after the abortive Shadow of Rome efforts. SoR was made by the Japanese and merely aped Western settings. This time, he would have a Western studio produce the next Devil May Cry game.

So Inafune blocked DMC4:SE and DMC5, and got to work on a Western sequel. Him and his Right Hand Man Ben "It's better than nothing" Judd found Ninja Theory and they were hired. Ninja Theory then suggested a full reboot rather than a sequel. Inafune left Capcom in Oct. 2010, just 1 month after DmC was announced. So he didn't oversee the game itself, but he put everything in motion.

This was just one game out of several where Inafune pushed Western devs. Sequels for big new Capcom series like Lost Planet, Dead Rising, Bionic Commando were all given to Western devs. BC's failure forced Ben Judd to leave Capcom. The game cost 20 million dollars and Judd was a rising producer at the time, and the first American as well.

It took several years for the projects Inafune started to be completed and for Capcom to recover from Inafune's Western studio blunders.
>>
>>386647339
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TUB9GM45t0
>>
>>386645190

>DMC4 sold more than the first 3 together,

Here's the overall sales figures:

>Devil May Cry 4 - 3.0
>Devil May Cry - 2.16
>DmC Devil May Cry - 1.9
>Devil May Cry 2 -1.7
>Devil May Cry 3 - 1.3
>Devil May Cry HD Collection - 1.1
>Devil May Cry 3 Special Edition - 1.0

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
>>
>>386647381
>mfw the only good thing Comcept has ever worked on was Soul Sacrifice
>>
File: Comcept games.jpg (291KB, 1665x692px) Image search: [Google]
Comcept games.jpg
291KB, 1665x692px
>>386647649

Inafune and Judd are complete buffoons who are totally out of their element. Inafune should have stayed a fucking middle tier artists.

Kitamura and Fujiwara should have never left Capcom. If they had stayed, they would have taken Inafune's place and rose in the company, but they were geniuses and could have done good.

>>mfw the only good thing Comcept has ever worked on was Soul Sacrifice

Their track record is pretty much shit or outright dumpster fires. Ohara Shinsaku jumped ship in 2013, and everyone else with some sense should have done the same.
>>
>>386647381

Good things did came out of it tho.

DR and Lost Planet were both awesome and I even enjoyed BC.
>>
File: Bro Sacrifice.jpg (212KB, 1100x670px) Image search: [Google]
Bro Sacrifice.jpg
212KB, 1100x670px
>>386647927
>Marvy AQL and Sony Japan also worked on Soul Sacrifice

Neat, no wonder the game was so damn amazing, those two make great games.

>Kaio
>Mighty Blunder 9
>Red Ash
>Mobile game

Jesus.
>>
>>386643405

Shitty story and terrible dialog. There's just something about it, something about Dante and Vergil, that reminds me of those terrible early 2000's teen movies - like She's All That or American Pie.

Here's a video of Dante and Vergil fighting over Kat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-AZlh-imms
>>
>>386645596

The Vergil DLC was a bit better in terms of difficulty and combat mechanics, but it was still a very bare-bones hack-n-slash.
>>
>>386647381
Among the western devs they could pick, they picked Ninja Theory. A company that makes cinematic action games rather than action games.
>>
>>386648210
>DR and Lost Planet were both awesome

DR and Lost Planet were good, but I was referring to the disastrous sequels which were developed by Western studios. I was writing quickly and didn't make it clear.

>and I even enjoyed BC.

Cost 20 million, only sold a few hundred thousand. One of the bigger Bombs at Capcom. Ben Judd was forced out because of it. Including the Bionic Commando guy in McC3 didn't improve sales.

>>386648449
>Shitty story and terrible dialog. There's just something about it, something about Dante and Vergil, that reminds me of those terrible early 2000's teen movies - like She's All That or American Pie.

I noticed this too. The people making these games grew up in the late 90's and early 2000's and this is the media they emulate. Fight Club was a big influence on them. This is a huge irony since DmC was supposed to be a "modernized" reboot, but it ends up looking and sounding like a movie from 1997-2004. Oh and some rip off from They Live as well. Yeah, we've all seen that movie and we all love it Tameem.
>>
>>386645190
I'm personally baffled by Ninja Theory's incredibly high normalfag power level. They legitimately didn't understand that DMC didn't take itself that seriously and thought all the cheeky antics were meant to be 100% too cool for school. I mean, they were cool, but not without it being all in good fun.
>>
>>386647381
On the flip side, if not for Infaune and his western obsession, we could not get Dragon's Dogma.
>>
>>386647649
Vanilla Soul Sacrifice was definitely barebones as fuck. If it never got Delta, it'd be remembered as shit.
>>
File: 1436914155374.png (323KB, 578x507px) Image search: [Google]
1436914155374.png
323KB, 578x507px
What's going on with Capcom right now? I know people aren't too hot about SFV and MvCI, but MH seems to be doing well. What about their other stuff?
>>
>>386649580
Delta is a literal MonHun clone though. SS was all about magic, SSD nerfed almost every single form of ranged magic and then buffed armors and weapons like mad and introduced missions and gameplay modes that encouraged armors and weapons.
>>
>>386643405
What a clusterfuck this board will be if DMC5 ever comes out.
>>
I thought DMC was pretty fun. I think most people missed the fact that DMC Dante was overly edgy because he was supposed to be a young rebellious teen.
>>
>>386650289
I remember we got quite random sticky on DMC4:SE announcement.
>>
>>386650415
DMC3 Dante did teenager better. Not edgy, but just a guy that tried to play cool (and often failed).
>>
>>386650415

We're supposed to see Donte as cool and look up to him. He turns out to be 100% right about everything too. He's just a fantasy insert for Tameem where he fights The System.

Oh fuck, I just remembered there's a Bill O'Reilly boss. No DMC game should have Fox News parodies ever. It's so out of place.
>>
>>386650641
>often failed

dude he surfed a rocket
>>
>>386650646
Bob was the best part of the game though.
>>
>>386650768
Yeah, but he also got trapped by the very sturdy doors, got tricked by a clown and got shot in the head by the lady he saved.
>>
>>386647381

Oh forgot to mention. The reason Capcom was so unahppy with DMC's 2-3 million sales is because of God of War. That series sold way more. And it explains why Capcom would make a game set in Rome. They partly misunderstood the appeal of the series, since the setting is kind of irrelevant. Kratos is the perfect angsty male teen fantasy figure.

So Capcom sees 3 million DMC4 sales and they should "Why isn't it selling like God of War? You're off the case Itsuno. Time to hire Western Devs, who will give us the sales we want!"
>>
>>386650646
then again, the entirety if that section up to his boss fight was the best part of the game, hands down
people like to praise Lilith's night club but it was all flash and no substance, just a bunch of forked colorful corridors over and over that ultimately took you to the same places
at least the approach they had when parodying Fox was consistent with the game's universe being solely focused on slandering Dante instead of shoehorning politics or religion in Bob's speeches
>>
File: dante2.jpg (72KB, 530x377px) Image search: [Google]
dante2.jpg
72KB, 530x377px
Let's not forget how Tameem took a huge steaming shit all over the previous DMC games and mocked both them and their fans.
>>
>>
File: l_51556bb27a7a2.jpg (50KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
l_51556bb27a7a2.jpg
50KB, 640x426px
>>
File: mOX7iKY.jpg (52KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
mOX7iKY.jpg
52KB, 640x426px
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>
>Buying or playing any Ninja Theory game
The best they ever got with me was Enslaved and i dropped the game halfway through because better shit came out. They're the second worst company at making action games after From just because From set the pinnacle of shit with Ninja Blade.
>>
>>386648549
And hows that relevant to the point anon is making?
>>
>>386643405
DMC1 is one of my favorite games, and I disliked how they were shitting on all the old DMC fans but I still wanted to keep an open mind and give the game a chance. The color coded enemies were boring, boss fights were easier than the levels themselves, platforming wasn't great, etc. I only played it once but I remember thinking it was just an okay game that was driven by controversy instead of its own merits.

Also I've been playing DMC3 again but I've died to Cerberus a few times. Is it just me or are the bosses in DMC3 cheaper? The random paw swipes, headbutts, and falling ice that you can't see when trying to back up make the Cerberus fight feel cheap. I also remember the Beowulf fight having 'unreadable' attacks and the final Vergil fight having AI prediction that made it feel cheap too. I've beaten DMC1 on DMD with no items but I'm not enjoying DMC3 as much now, feels like the bosses in DMC1 were just as challenging but more fair.
>>
Have you ever noticed it takes being an entitled fanboy to hate the game though? If you just love video games then there's nothing wrong with DmC. The major 2 points seem to be:
>the gameplay is dumbed down
That may be but it's still plenty versatile
>the story and donte's personality are too edgy
I guess? I am 35 and not into "edgy" things and I like the story and Donte both. In contrast, I've tried playing DMC4 and Dante seems to be anime michaelangelo the ninja turtle.
>>
File: 1481968785717.jpg (60KB, 796x712px) Image search: [Google]
1481968785717.jpg
60KB, 796x712px
>tfw Vorgilsaurus wasn't real
>>
>>386653840
>hurr only fanbois get angry at things I don't care either way so nyah
>>
>>386653840
>If you just love video games then there's nothing wrong with DmC.
>admits the gameplay is dumbed down
It's okay for a game on its own but compared to the rest, it's a big deal for fans of the series.
>>
>>386652571
most reboot defenders think like this too, they are simply catering to the potential new fanbase that likes the gameplay style but disliked DMC's anime-ness, the potential for high level gameplay and overall difficulty.
they knew it wasn't going to please the existing fanbase so they went all-out tryig to distance themselves from the source material.
same thing is happening to God of War now. you can always find in most discussions many complains about it, how the gameplay has grown stale after so many sequels, how they hated Kratos as a character, how they disliked the premise of just breaking stuff and killing things over and over and how ultimately they never liked or played the old games so this reboot is a breath of fresh air and NOW they are interested and will have their first try
>>
>>386649914
>SSD nerfed almost every single form of ranged magic
How in the world are you supposed to fight something like the chariot or the wyvern gargoyle thing then? The things have massive attacks that deal insane amounts of damage and they're always in melee range with dodging barely helping you get anywhere.
>>
File: 1357423120240.jpg (46KB, 428x491px) Image search: [Google]
1357423120240.jpg
46KB, 428x491px
>>386653913
The only good thing to come out ot his pile of shit. So glad it crashed and burned as it deserved.
>>
>>386653396
Not him, but the dlc was made by Capcom.
>>
>>386654364
The Spanish dub was pretty funny, too.
>>
>>386643405
The only thing good about DmC is was the level design and transformations, desu. The gameplay was really awful too
>>
>>386653840
>lets make a game based on a series taking away evrything that make it awesome in the frist place
>Also lets make fun an alienate the hard core fans that made the game popular
>fans didint like it? WELL TO BAD ENTITLED FANBOY HAHAHA
>BUT PLEASE BUY THE GAME, IT WASNT SUPOSED TUO FLOP LIKE THIIS REEEEEEEEEEEEE
Kek. You sound like one of those retard feminist cunts crying about the ghost busters reboot and blaming the evil white males for not wanting to watch that shit, buy hey if you like shit who i am to say anything about it.
>>
File: 1501892018971.jpg (11KB, 203x414px) Image search: [Google]
1501892018971.jpg
11KB, 203x414px
>>386653840
why are you guys falling for this 2012 bait?
>>
>>386654793
Because is 2017 you fuck, and no one remembers that shit anyway
>>
>>386652571
>Let's not forget how Tameem took a huge steaming shit all over the previous DMC games and mocked both them and their fans.

And let's not forget DmC is the worst selling DMC game by far. Capcom expected God of War 8 million sales. Got 1.17 sales instead. In a final insult, DMC:HD, a cheap reporting of the original games, sold 1 million, just below DmC.
>>
>>386643405
Tameem you have to leave, no one wants you here.
>>
>>386647381
This.
He also ruined Ninja Gaiden with Yaiba.
>>
>>386649670
the RE7 DLCs were pretty good, there's that at least
>>
>>386655134
You forget that Devil may cry 4 SE sold incredibly well and shit on DmC too.
>>
>>386646791
This image is so goddamn fucking stupid.

He's looking at a mirror. At a fucking mirror.

DID THEY JUST FEEL LIKE MAKING REVERSE GRAFFITI??

Even this game's art was fucking dumb.
>>
File: 9075832.jpg (20KB, 348x247px) Image search: [Google]
9075832.jpg
20KB, 348x247px
>>386655134
What the fuck are you talking about? DmC never broke over 1 million sales, and DMC HD collection sold more than DmC
>>
>>386652571
honestley hes not wrong. The old DMC games are kinda gay fashion wise.

youre lying if you dont think Donte is /fa/ as fuck

wouldnt expect /v/ to have any taste though if you tards are this protective over an overrated ps2 game
>>
>>386652571

The entire attitude of Tameem and NT did nothing but alienate potential buyers. The old DMC fans should be the base you appeal to first. Instead he shit on them. He proudly said he "didn't care" about what they thought. Well, DMC fans didn't care about your game either you fucking fruit.

>>386654024
>but disliked DMC's anime-ness,

I'd never heard anyone call DMC "anime" until DmC came around. It doesn't have a giant eye at style, and is pretty gritty, grounded look. In fact, DmC and DMC doesn't really look terribly different. Nu-Dante has different clothing but that's about it.

Now, DMC does draw from anime/manga sources, but these sources are so old, they lack the typical "anime" style and tropes we imagine "anime games" to have. DMC draws heavily from Space Adventure Cobra, especially the character of Dante. Red color theme, and Dante's character is pretty close to Cobra.
>>
File: DmC in a nutshell.png (374KB, 1030x2432px) Image search: [Google]
DmC in a nutshell.png
374KB, 1030x2432px
Reminder
>>
File: 1476332692906.jpg (23KB, 358x361px) Image search: [Google]
1476332692906.jpg
23KB, 358x361px
>>386656017
go home tameem
>>
>>386655964
>What the fuck are you talking about? DmC never broke over 1 million sales, and DMC HD collection sold more than DmC

Capcom posts sales figures for all over 1 million selling games. They're real gents about that. DmC sold 1.9 million. DMC:HD sold 1.1 million. The re-release of DmC doesn't appear on the list, so it didn't sell over 1 million.

http://www.capcom.co.jp/ir/english/finance/million.html
>>
>>386656017
I know you're not the real Boco because your name isn't capitalized.
>>
>>386656126
you are telling me you think Dantes leather bra strap and red assless chaps are better looking than something that could actually be worn in public?
>>
>>386643405
>I kinda prefer DmCs gameplay
I can't even interpret this statement.
Goodbye, /v/. Time to jerk off again and go eat breakfast.
>>
>>386643405
the gameplay was shit
>color coded enemies
>>
>>386656356
Compared to DmC, yes
>>
>>386656356
Considering I've seen both of those things worn in public in real life many times, yes. Of course your sheltered basement ass wouldn't know anything about the real world. Also if I wanted to pkay something where an alcoholic grunge band member was the star I'd wait for a Linkin Park game to be made.
>>
>>386656590
Will the main character hang himself for the ending too?
>>
>>386656691
All of the band members would, as the finale of their final live performance. And that would be the good ending.
>>
>>386645475
I like DMC1 but DmC is mechanically superior.
>>
File: dumbass.gif (763KB, 338x200px) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.gif
763KB, 338x200px
>>386658719
>>
>>386656590
>play something where an alcoholic grunge band member was the star
Play Shadows of the Damned. You drink a lot in that game to regain health, you look like some gay mexican emo punk band member
>>
File: all smiles.jpg (26KB, 280x330px) Image search: [Google]
all smiles.jpg
26KB, 280x330px
>>386643405

Nice b8 NinjaTam.
>>
>>386653840
>That may be but it's still plenty versatile
DMC fags are as autistic as FGG fags.
You might as well say others to lower their standards and that is never a good way to shill/promote/encourage others to play a game.
>edgy
Both are fucking retarded. It's a joke like mr. Not Important.
>>
>>386658719
For the last time, DMC1 gameplay is entirely different from the rest. It pretty much was Resident Evil: the Beat 'Em Up.
>>
File: 1387528918796.jpg (102KB, 600x480px) Image search: [Google]
1387528918796.jpg
102KB, 600x480px
>>386643405
>be TaMeme
>come onto /v/ to shill Hellbladeâ„¢ yet another day since release
>still salty about DmC© being a pile of shit
>make this thread

FUCK OFF
>>
>>386643405
FUCK YOU
>>
>>386659660
>Resident Evil: the Beat 'Em Up.
So, Resident Evil 6?
>>
>>386659594
It's a good thing we have the angry opinions of someone who doesn't even like the series in this discussion..
>>
>>386656017
>>386656356
Fuck off you 5'5" potato man.
>>
>die a few times and use items
>still get SSS at the end of the stage
>>
>>386643405
So, why were journalists sucking DmC's dick so much? I get the Mass Effect 3 dick sucking since it was an AAA game published by EA, but the way they white knighted for DMC was incredibly weird to me.
>>
File: 1304140217619.jpg (42KB, 313x700px) Image search: [Google]
1304140217619.jpg
42KB, 313x700px
>people unironically responded to this extremely obvious bait thread
>>
>>386660568
Because "gamers" hated it. Also everything Japanese is shit so westacucks reboot are automatically better in their eyes.
>>
>>386660686
We just wanted to shit on DmC more, what's wrong with that?
>>
It's been 6 years, shut the fuck up.
>>
>>386660796
>merely pretending
>>
File: Parfitt.png (201KB, 658x580px) Image search: [Google]
Parfitt.png
201KB, 658x580px
>tfw vindictive fanbase caused the best game in the series to flop just because they didn't like Dante's hair
I am shaking my head family
>>
>>386643405

It flopped because they told fans of the franchise that the franchise was stupid, they were stupid for liking it and that they can go fuck themselves.
>>
>>386646791
>anarchy makes sense

That gave me a good chuckle
>>
File: 1488790463122.jpg (158KB, 835x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1488790463122.jpg
158KB, 835x1024px
>>386647381
>>386655434
Fucking westaboo faggotry ought to be outlawed.
>>
>>386643405

You can't have three games with the weeb version of Dante and then suddenly Americanize him; people don't like change, especially vidya players.

I liked it, 7.5/10.
>>
>>386663614
>weeb
When is this shit getting wordfiltered
>>
>>386663614
>>386663614
>You can't have three games with the weeb version of Dante and then suddenly Americanize him; people don't like change, especially vidya players.

The differences aren't even that drastic. It's not like DMC was Persona, or some other heavily "anime" series. DMC always had a pretty gritty, urban, realistic art style.
>>
This whole thing reminds me of MN9 and how Dina shitted on the fans and then the game flopped and was complete shit.

Has there ever been a game where the developers shit on its fanbase (with insults, not actions) that it sold well?
>>
>>386660686
>>386661362
Okay, kids, back to school.
>>
>>386664579
Except nu-Dante has Auschwitz mode turned on and dresses like a slob. Classic Dante had a weird style to his anime aestethics, and he actually knows how to make a joke
>>
>>386643405
is this the real cover?

he really looks like the guy with the apple stuff in his bedroom and his drawing
>>
As someone who never grew up with the DMC series, Im about to finish 1 and what to know what everybody else thinks about 2 and 3
I intend on playing them all by the way
>>
>>386666869
2 tried to change for the better but ended shitting the bed, hard.
3 has the best bosses of the franchise and the combat is only a speck inferior to 4's
>>
>>386666869

2 is a total mess. It's the worst game in the series by far. It's ugly, slow and just terrible. Skip.

3 is great. Essential.

4 is incomplete but a good game.

DmC is skippable.
>>
Its also a bad game, just try the demo
>>
>>386643405
oh sure, just let me just forget everything i've observed
>>
>>386666869
2 is bad, dull and unbalanced with one or two interesting ideas sprinkled around that ultimately don't save it, but play it for context of the series. 3 is a glorious return to form and widely considered the best in the series, though it has less of a focus of the survival horror-esque origins of 1 the combat is incredible.
>>
>>386643405
>just because of Dantes hair color?
No. Not even a little bit.
That's just what the people who liked it keep saying along with a list of complaints about the original.
The game failed because of a whole lot of things.
First, and provably most significant, it had the worst PR in any game I've ever seen. Add to it that the studio blamed the fans and the director was an ass for a lot of it. The wised up about 2/3s of the way but by then the damage was done and the tempo had been cemented.
The game is glitches galore, specially upon release.
It was completely unbalanced and personally I couldn't stand to play it twice.
The story is such garbage and full of infantile writing it just couldn't recover.
Same for the characters.
The DLC was much better but with the main game not doing so hot I don't know how many people got to it.

There is an entire laundry list of why this game is so pandered on a level by level basis and as much as people nagged about the original being garbage in THEIR eyes this one couldn't stand up on it's own for very long.
>>
>>386654660
You couldn't have been more wrong about who I am. Thanks for the keks though.
>>
>>386654023
No, I don't admit the gameplay was dumbed down. I admit it may have been. That's it. But I'm not a big fan of the series to begin with, so I'm not going to argue the point with fanboys and autists.
>>
>>386654889
I find it funny that you think it was bait from 2012 when I just wrote it. Probably because it was as true in 2012 as it is now.
>>
>>386666869
A lot of people will tell you to avoid 2 and depending on your stomach for 'emo' bullshit I might tell you to skip it too.

It isn't the strongest gameplay wise either.

3 is one of the best video games ever made.
>>
>>386667886
>The story is such garbage and full of infantile writing it just couldn't recover.

Remember Dante and Vergil arguing about who had a bigger dick? If they're identical twins wouldn't they be the same size?
>>
>>386667886
stop being a fanboy
you want dante's cock
devil may cry was shit from the beggining and you are pissed because you can't relate, are not a teenager anymore
the game is now for teenagers of today
move on
>>
>>386668692
>devil may cry
>best anything
how exactly a auto combo crap is a best anything?

devil may cry fans are the most retarded closet homosexuals of all
>>
>>386668815
>>386668973
no
>>
Stop shilling your games Ninja Theory
>>
>>386668815
If the game is teenagers of today you're all a bunch of fags and tryhards.
It's a power fantasy of the most uncreative verity.
The original defined and created a genre while this one can't even sell and the only place you still hear about it is here.
>>
>>386669276
>The original defined and created a genre while this one can't even sell and the only place you still hear about it is here.
nothing of value was lost
>>
>>386643405
i actually played this game all the way through

it wasnt that edgy and donte wasnt an emo faggot like some anons were claiming, but there was a fundamental misunderstanding from tameem and NT about why the original series was liked and who the market for it was. when it was first revealed the core audience fucking hated it, so instead of seeing that and adjusting, tameem fucking doubled down on it and basically told everyone who didnt like it they were entitled without understanding that he was trying to sell a fucking product and nobody was obligated to buy or like it.

when creating something youre trying to sell, there are two sides of the spectrum: create the product you want with your own artistic integrity and hope people like it, or appeal to the masses and the lowest common denominator and hope enough average joes eat it up to please the suits. to be truly successful you need to find a balance, and that isnt what tameem did. the series wasnt popular enough to pull the cod numbers that suits wanted, so the next best bet was to appeal to the audience that already existed that could have made it a moderate success, but they were already turned off by what they saw, so the last thing he had to appeal to was his ego, and thats what we got
>>
File: 1502226332317.png (73KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1502226332317.png
73KB, 184x184px
>People who don't like DmC have listed off tons of reasons why DmC isn't good.
>N-No! It's because you don't like the hair!

Tameem is a fucking genius with "Cool hip people play DmC" approach. It clearly fucking worked.
>>
>>386643987
>implying original Dante isn't an Edge Lord faggot
>>
>>386669687
His idea of advertising it was comparing original Dante to gay cowboys and stating he'd be laughed out of every British pub for dressing how he did, and that was BEFORE the avalanche of criticism covered him.
>>
>>386669687
>the series wasnt popular enough to pull the cod numbers that suits wanted,

They wanted God of War numbers. It's why the first experimentation with a "Western" Devil May Cry was Shadow of Rome for the PS2.
>>
>>386669687
also this
>>386667886
>>
>>386669893
i was using cod more as an example but youre right god of war was the one i was looking for
>>
>>386670087

I posted a bit about the backstory to DmC here: >>386647381

Short version is that though Inafune was not at Capcom while the majority of DmC was developed, he was the brainchild of the project.
>>
>>386643405
No the hair color thing is just something journalists used to attack the series fans when they didn't like DmC.

DmC is okay but a bit too shallow gameplay wise. Not as bad as 2.
>>
File: 1490397439360.jpg (41KB, 498x341px) Image search: [Google]
1490397439360.jpg
41KB, 498x341px
No other game has triggered me so hard. Even now, I get angry just thinking about it all.
>>
>>386670239
It still amazes me how lucky that little shithead was throughout his life. Fucker went from just being a mediocre artist to the top of capcom on seniority alone.
>>
>>386669865
Actually, that part was never meant to be seen by the public. It was a private thing but, yeah, it was them finding the most embarrassing looking aspects of Japanese culture and said, this is what DMC is, while looking for some iconic images of punk music and other not so silly things and saying this is DmC. The classic method of pushing your product by mocking the competition.

The whole Brokeback thing was, according to the guy who did the presentation when it was shown online, supposed to compare it to a western, which everyone immediately saw as bullshit because Brokeback is iconically gay, now western, The Good the Bad and the Ugly is Iconic western, Unforgiven is iconic western. Brokeback was definitely them calling the old Dante gay. Didn't win them any points.
>>
Reminder that next Dante will be a black man
>>
>>386670552
I just laugh. It was a crime what they did to DMC but their sad attempts to shill it was some of the funniest shit I've ever seen.
>>
It lacked mechanical depth and was 30 frames per second.
>>
>>386668591

You wanna dance bitch? Let's dance.

>Gameplay is still versatile

SSS is changed from skill to be purely damage based, you could SSS bosses by hitting them four times with the axe. Lock on was removed. Every enemy could be infinitely juggled. Weapons were locked depending on what type of enemy you were fighting - you had to use Angelic for Angel enemies and Demonic for demon enemies. Less combos. Easier to execute all combos.

The only thing that DmC Remastered fixed was that it added lock on and didn't arbitrarily force you to use specific weapons.

>Story and donte are too edgy

"I'm your prom date you ugly sack of shit," and a three minute sequence of them saying "fuck you" is pretty edgy my dude. Also the story was literally just Occupy Wall Street after Occupy failed. It's 'the maaaaaan is keeping us down with corporations and stuff duuuude'. It's really boring and trite, and was done much better in film then it was by DmC.

Also, Donte is an edgy motherfucker. The best moments in the game are when he isn't being an edgy cunt and acts like a normal person.
>>
>>386670693
Blade!? I would pay for a DMC style Blade game! No Joke.
>>
>>386670602
>It still amazes me how lucky that little shithead was throughout his life. Fucker went from just being a mediocre artist to the top of capcom on seniority alone.

Not just seniority. First, the people above him in the mega man franchise left. First Kitamura, then Fujiwara. That left an obvious hole, since someone needed to be producer for the Mega man series. Might as well be this guy who was part of the original team. Seems reasonable right? Then he just kept getting promoted. Then his games he was producer for sold, so might as well promote him. Buy 2010, he was one of the big-wigs. Inafune's departure seems REALLY god damn weird. He's promote then he quits? There had to have been some kind of disagreement between Inafune and the top brass.

I don't blame them, he's a frog looking piece of shit. He heavily self-promotes which is why everyone knows him, but he's a fraud.
>>
>>386671218

>A blade game by Kamiya or Itsuno

I never realized I needed this.
>>
File: 1390500459467.jpg (26KB, 403x312px) Image search: [Google]
1390500459467.jpg
26KB, 403x312px
>>386670693
>>386671218
Yeah, We've had Blade since the 70's or 80's.
>>
>>386671218
Same, it'd be like a great mixture of DMC and VtMB.
>>
File: 1473294369364.jpg (9KB, 335x208px) Image search: [Google]
1473294369364.jpg
9KB, 335x208px
>>386672126
>>386671218
>>386671427
>New blade game.
>They make him white.
>>
The time has come, and so have I
>>
File: 256px-DMC1FrontCover[1].jpg (26KB, 256x364px) Image search: [Google]
256px-DMC1FrontCover[1].jpg
26KB, 256x364px
>>386672418
There's a reason the best soundtrack had no lyrics
>>
>>386670683
>while looking for some iconic images of punk music and other not so silly things

They certainly failed with that, because whiny British grunge music is equally as silly as anything Japan's done and Tameem's self-righteous "THIS is how Dante SHOULD be because I know what's best!" idiocy didn't help him or his game.

Also, have you seen what British men wear in pubs? Dante would fit right in.
>>
>>386672709
>Tameem's self-righteous "THIS is how Dante SHOULD be because I know what's best!"
I think Tameem was actually insecure and just wanted people to like him. So he tried to degrade Dante and self-inserted with Donte, and and he thought when everyone loved Donte they would read about the guy who created him and see that he's similar and love him too. It's kind of sad, really.
>>
>>386673236
>self-inserted with Donte

God I remember that phase. Had his same haircut and clothes and everything.
>>
Glad we will never see this kind of shit ever AGAIN.
>>
>>386673429
Yeah it was pretty strange and infuriating at the time considering how he was treating old fans of the series, but now it just feels kind of sad like he was just seeking approval.
>>
File: IMG_0139.jpg (449KB, 2023x1449px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0139.jpg
449KB, 2023x1449px
>>386643405
>>
Why did journalists shill and defend this game so hard up to release? It was absolutely surreal seeing the disconnect between "critics" and fans, I don't think I've ever seen anything like it.
>>
>>386673793
They could've been shills or just trying to be a voice of moderation. A lot of people were howling about how awful the game is already as soon as they saw the hair change. I thought it was silly too but I at least wanted to know how the game actually played.

it played badly
>>
File: tameem.jpg (60KB, 608x358px) Image search: [Google]
tameem.jpg
60KB, 608x358px
Kek,I still remember this "coincidence".
>>
File: 1500448415645.png (25KB, 474x380px) Image search: [Google]
1500448415645.png
25KB, 474x380px
>>386647381
>that time Inafune said Japan's gaming industry basically had no creativity left, was stagnant and should look to the west for inspiration etc.
>mighty number 9, basically a shit mega man game rehash happens

Amazing.
>>
I'll never stop finding it hilarious how NT and DmC fans talk about the game as though it's some sort of gift bestowed so generously unto each and every one of us, how the original fanbase hated it out of spite and are self-entitled pricks because of it. It's a fucking product you dumb shits, maybe instead of shitting on your potential customers by calling them losers and gays you should just focus on making something people actually want to buy. The gameplay was mediocre as fuck, the weapons and base costume lacked any sort of visual style aside from being grey and bland, they completely misunderstood how the style system and overall level score was supposed to work, environments were often huge spaces with a handful of the same enemies thrown in at random and the list goes on. DmC was a reboot made more than 10 years after the first game but somehow managed to be mechanically inferior. NT, their fans and journos can scream till their heads explode claiming that it was just due to their hair color change but that wasn't the case.
>>
File: 1500401114100.webm (3MB, 426x240px) Image search: [Google]
1500401114100.webm
3MB, 426x240px
>plays bad (no lock-on)
>colored enemies
>trivial style system
>bosses are a joke
>dodge button
>poorly paced missions (some take a few minutes, others 20 minutes)
>platforming sections
>edgy as fuck (sniper rifle abortions)

I loved the visuals and the presentation. The music was also alright but everything else was a fucking trainwreck.
>>
>>386656270
The numbers for DmC are also inflated by the fact capcom constantly puts it on sale for dirt cheap or part of humble bundles like for example the last humble bundle capcom did had DmC as a $1 tier.
>>
File: 1370484787584[1].gif (124KB, 590x333px) Image search: [Google]
1370484787584[1].gif
124KB, 590x333px
>>386673684

>Dante went from cool to some smelly looking rapist guy with bad hair
>>
>>386673793
>>386673948
>that article claiming 60fps is something only losers care about
>that article painting TamTam as the 'Saviour' of DMC (ironic, considering DMC4's villain and sales)
>that article claiming the game flopped due to hair change
>NT thanking that review for a 'genuine' 9/10 despite the article not being uploaded yet
Lmao
>>
File: smiling inafune.jpg (171KB, 400x403px) Image search: [Google]
smiling inafune.jpg
171KB, 400x403px
>>386674274

>oh man guys Jap games totally suck the West makes the best games
>oh man let me hire Ninja Theory to make the next Devil May Cry game without actually doing any research on them and not discover that they didn't actually write their first two games
>oh man I hate how Japan constantly recycles the same tired games over and over. Here let me make a Megaman clone
>>
>>386643405
Donte's hair still progressively turns white while usind Devil trigger.
It's funny how his design stalled more and more until release.
>>
I will never understand how Ninja Theory were even considered to make a game like DMC. They couldn't even make a good God of War clone.
>>
>>386674701

Gaming mags have Publisher cock rammed far up their asses. The Publishers tell them to jump, they jump. Capcom told them the narrative to push, and they did. All these guys are buddies by the way.

>>that article painting TamTam as the 'Saviour' of DMC (ironic, considering DMC4's villain and sales)

Narrative being that the series needed saving to begin with. Success should be measured relatively. The series sales were growing. That's not a problem. But Capcom got greedy and wanted God of War numbers so they considered it a failure. They should have been greatful for what they had.
>>
>>386643405
>I kinda prefer DmCs gameplay and the game doesnt look like a gay ass anime anymore.
opinion discarded, you somehow are dumb enough to actually enjoy this shitstain
>>
>>386647381
DMC didn't exactly feel like it was a Japanese game though, at least for me, which might be why it worked better. Most of the game had western influences already and I guess if you looked at Dante long enough you would see some Japanese influences but not enough to make you say "yeah that's definitely a character made by someone from Japan".

DMC was made from LIGHT
DmC was made from hate
>>
I legitimately enjoyed DmC and have very few criticisms of it. I even bought the re-release. Too bad I'll never get to play the sequel. I might have preferred the gameplay of 4 but I preferred the story/world of DmC by a longshot. It's not brilliant by any means but it was still far more engaging than some kid running around screaming KYRIE at some damsel in distress prop of a character.
>>
File: hardest secret mission ever.webm (628KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
hardest secret mission ever.webm
628KB, 640x360px
DmCfags will defend this
>>
>>386675367

Inafune and Ben Judd are morons who know nothing about gameplay. Simple as that.

>>386675419

The thinking is that there's some magic that Westerners had tapped into with God of War, and if only Capcom could tap into that, they'd have a game that sold 8 million copies instead of 3. DMC therefore, must be too Japanese.
>>
>>386675367
I'll never understand how after the success of the first game they hired someone else to make the second one. Kamiya even said he was surprised and disappointed by that. I think DMC3 was okay but still not as good as the first, and only half of DMC4 was good. Wish they would've shown him some appreciation and kept him working on the sequels.
>>
>>386675549

Wait, do they have a "classic" costume?
>>
File: mQm85vO4_400x400.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
mQm85vO4_400x400.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
WHAT IS DIS NIGGER DOING NOWADAYS

JUST ANNOUNCE YOUR FUCKING GAME REEEE
>>
File: 1389507682853.jpg (382KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1389507682853.jpg
382KB, 1920x1080px
>>386675649
>>
>>386675592

I think Capcom wanted to rush out a sequel. The unknown original director though botched it. I had always found it strange that Itsuno made 2 and then 3. Then I found out that actually, the unknown director of 2 was fired, and Itsuno was brought in near the end to salvage as much as he could.
>>
>>386675649
Yeah as part of DmC:Apology edition on PS4/XBone they had classic costumes, gives lock on and removed blue/red enemies
>>
File: 1497357293851.jpg (125KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
1497357293851.jpg
125KB, 1200x899px
>>386675649
>>386675782
>>
>>386675860

Is DmC Apology edition on Steam?
>>
>>386669687
I fucking hate faggots like you that think that the fact that companies trying to make us buy shit based on numbers and marketing is in some way "ok" and "the good think to do" for shit like this.

You and people like you are whats wrong with gaming nowadays, super mario bros, tetris, metroid etc etc werent planed to be a "product planed to be successful and popular enough to pull cod numbers" those where made with pasion love and inovation in mind, so fuck off with your fucking consumer/trending slave point of view.

Also I (and i bet alot of people in here) played the game "all the way through" what a big deal, that does not change the fact that the game is just an average beat them up and a really shitty DMC.
>>
>>386675798
>Itsuno was brought in near the end to salvage as much as he could.
His career is wasted by being a semen slurping corporate slave. Itsuno should've grown some balls and leave Capcom just like Mikami and Kamiya. It is sad to see his clear talent rotting away in a company like Capcom, and hearing "DmC is 30fps but PLAYS LIKE 60fps believe us guys, we babbysit Team Ninja so much that DmC will be good." coming from his mouth
>>
>>386646237
>struggles to make it to 30fps on consoles
>>
>>386675915
>those "new features" were moded in the game first
>>
>>386676031
>but it FEELS like 60fps
>>
>>386643405
>doesn't look like a gay ass anime anymore
it just looks straight up metrosexual gay now
>>
>>386675910

He's so hilariously Derpy. His stance is wrong too. He just sorta stands awkwardly. Awkward is how I'd describe this. Like someone copying a human but not getting it.
>>
>>386675372

What makes me sad is seeing lots of good games in the fighting genre get overshadowed by Capcom half-assed efforts only due to money and their games getting crammed down people's throats at every turn. Gotta get that e-sports money.
>>
I'll never get over the insane amount of horseshit and strawmanning that came from reviewers during the period this game came out. There was so much shit talking and claims of entitlement and childishness and whatever other bullshit from so many pathetic fuckers. No matter what kind of legitimate arguments you levied about gameplay and style you would see a million headlines titled "little bitch baby gamers angry about Dante not having white hair."

It was fucking unreal and I cannot accept that this wasn't an instance where a lot of checks were being handed out under the table. It was too absurd and would be way too big of a mass lapse in judgement to be legit.
>>
>>386676026

There's benefits and negatives. Capcom is a big company, Platinum is a small one. Could Platinum raise the cash for a really big game like Capcom could?
>>
File: Dante_dmc_2010.jpg (301KB, 850x1197px) Image search: [Google]
Dante_dmc_2010.jpg
301KB, 850x1197px
DmC flopped because of the fucking terrible publicity and marketing.

If Capcom had just set the record straight and said that Itsuno wanted a break from the franchise and that they were gonna try a different interpretation then this whole fiasco could've been mostly avoided. What they did instead was release a CGI trailer that looked absolutely nothing like DMC and then just said "THIS IS DMC NOW" and fans understandably got pissed. Which resulted in Ninja Theory being fucking retards and picking a fight with its costumers, which just made people angrier.

DmC could've been remembered as this casual but weird experimental title in the franchise, possibly even exist along side it. But since it was presented as a replacement with Ninja Theory doubling down on the FUCK YOOOOOOOU attitude it just completely put off anyone who previously cared about the franchise.

DmC is a case study in how to not market your game.
>>
>>386676026
Ninja Theory anon. Team Ninja made Ninja Gaiden and DOA.
>>
>>386675910
>no talent left
>outsource
>mvc models still look like hot shit
>>
>>386676252
>Could Platinum raise the cash for a really big game like Capcom could?

Capcock hasn't really released a big budget AAA game since RE6 debacle. They're budget companies with asset reuse, or have to be Sony's bitchbaby (for SFV) and Disney's bitchbaby (for MVCI). Monster Hunter still uses some PSP models for fuck sake.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (39KB, 635x394px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
39KB, 635x394px
>>386675562
GoW probably sold more than DMC because it was less subtle. Not that DMC is really subtle but it's more subtle than GoW in name and story which might make it harder for people to appreciate. I played DMC a lot when I was younger and just recently played it again and began to appreciate a little bit of the symbolism more that I didn't pick up on back then. When I played the mission where Dante had to get the heart pumping again after defeating the nightmare it gave me goosebumps.
>>
File: 1474521377366.png (679KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1474521377366.png
679KB, 800x800px
>>386676343
And because it's a shit game.
>>
File: 1467033800983.jpg (49KB, 512x403px) Image search: [Google]
1467033800983.jpg
49KB, 512x403px
>hear about the wig cutscene
>think it's some hidden easter egg where Donte is scrounging around some dump heap and a mop falls on his head and he looks into a mirror, saying "not in a million years" with a disgusted look as he quickly knocks it away
>think it might actually be humerous
>instead it happens randomly with shit just flying around, with a literal white wig just landing on his head for no reason
>music pauses, and Donte looks right at the audience and says his line as if to say "fuck you"

Wew, Tameem, really showed 'em there.
>>
>>386643405
>complains about something being anome on an anime forum
>>
>>386676753
I love how the updated version got rid of the fedora.
>>
>>386676771
>DLC costumes gives you the 'classic' Dante with white hair
Their desperation to pander post-release was fucking hilarious.
>>
>>386676771
Don't forget
>he gets white hair in "Devil Trigger" and at the end of the game anyway
>>
>white wig falls on him
>never in a million years
LOL HE JUST RIPPED THE FAGGY DANTE A NEW ONE HAHAHA
RETARDED ASS DANTE FANS BTFO
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (10KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
10KB, 480x360px
>>386676397
Welp my bad
>>
>>386677167
don't worry. I've seen EVERYONE make that mistake at least once.
>>
>>386677232
It's been made like 3 times per thread in the last few days because for some reason this game and hell blade kept getting brought
>>
>>386677084
>D Trigger is white hair red coat
Oh the Ironing.
Thread posts: 223
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.