[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was wondering, now that CDProjekt are a well-established company

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 3

File: gog-galaxy.jpg (19KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
gog-galaxy.jpg
19KB, 256x256px
I was wondering, now that CDProjekt are a well-established company among almost all video games consumers, including normies, couldn't release their upcoming projects only on Gog ?
I think Witcher 3's success could emancipate them from Steam, and they could establish Gog as a serious concurrent for it. What do you think ?
>>
some people don't want their games pirates with no effort
>>
>>386630982
But Gwent is GOG only and seems it will stay that way.
Too bad it's a shit game.
>>
Even if they don't "need" to sell on steam, selling on steam would result in making more money because they would get a lot more sales.
>>
I was actually thinking they might pull this with W3 as their HL2 of a sort to force people into getting galaxy. somehow the slavs seem too nice to do that though. We'll wait and see how cyberpunk turns out
>>
Hell no. We aren't console cucks. Exclusivity is a marketing ruse peasants fell for long time ago and now they think it's to their benefit or something.

PC gaming has traditionally laughed at and ignored any attempt of platform or market exclusivity. Look at UPlay and that other shite trying to peddle their trash and see how successful they are. Now compare that to steam.
>>
>>386631438
>PC gaming has traditionally laughed at and ignored any attempt of platform or market exclusivity.
Except for Steam.
>>
>>386631438
>Epic, Bethesda, and other developers are trying to pull this shit

I'm not in favor of enforced monopolies or anything but solo developers doing this can fuck off

R6 Siege did make me keep uplay around so I'm kinda spineless if the game is good enough, aren't I?
>>
>>386631492
Steam doesn't require exclusivity at all. You can sell your game on Steam but also sell it on your own personal website, and on gog, etc.

There are a lot of steam exclusive games but for the most part that's only because it's really easy and convenient for small publishers to use and it works as an easy kind of DRM
>>
>>386630982
and drop DRM?
if you buy something like wildlands on steam it has steamworks, uplay, denuvo and EAC
1 drm layer isnt enough, drm free is unthinkable
>>
>>386630982
What do you mean, "emancipate" themselves. Steam doesn't lock a developer into their platform. And what's wrong with steam anyway? Is this a meme?
>>
>>386631810
Avoid the Volvo cut, I'd guess
>>
>>386631810
Well since everyone knows them now, they don't have to rely on Steam to get decent sales, and could use their own platform, which would make it grow and increase their profit because Valve wouldn't get any percentage of their sales.
>>
>>386631712
all CDPR games are DRM free anon, even the steam releases
>>
>astroturfer thinks gog is popular or liked
lol
>>
>>386631941
srry, didnt read well the OP
anyway, they can get big only if they get all AAA releases on board, which they wont with their drm free policy
>>
>>386630982
>We sell pirated games
>You buy them
PC Mustard Race
>>
>>386630982
I'm a huge GOG fanboy, but I don't want this at all. This is not what GOG is about. It is better for the consumer if the games are available on both platforms. I want GOG to succeed, but even if Gabe is a massive jew and Steam is garbage you don't want to drop down to that level.
>>
>>386631810
People are (justifiably) upset that steam is a bit too dominant right now as a digital distribution platform for videogames. It pretty much has a monopoly. The only people who can sell their games without giving Valve their cut these days are Blizzard. Even companies that try to have their own digital distribution platform like uPlay or that bethesda one still sell on Steam and just make you use both (which sucks ass)
>>
>>386630982
steam is too big
>>
>>386632108
fellow slav lover here, not a fan of the push away from standalone .exe s from the website to ones that auto-launch galaxy unless you go out of your way to disable it. It's supposed to be a wholly optional client.
>>
>>386631712
>1 drm layer isnt enough, drm free is unthinkable

DRM free is unthinkable, true but what if one platform have DRM and the other doesn't ? and they both co-exist the same time and place. Some are just lazy as fuck and hopes the client does all the updates and shit to stay connected and socialized. One just wanna play the game and keep it for future without trouble popping it out and play again.

Some games right now are selling both on steam and GOG and they both have different versions and they still sell well.
>>
>>386632221
Yeah, I don't like that either. Also not a fan of how Galaxy is forced for the multiplayer of many games nowadays.
>>
>>386632303
for the multiplayer I can understand, I will often choose the steam version of a multiplayer game because I know it will work. It's a lot more hassle to have to hunt down individual servers to join for old games that often don't have a browser and manual patching is a little annoying for newer stuff (plus it seems in my experience gog gets the shaft with DLC or other updates either not getting it at all or really late)
>>
>>386631161
Closed beta rollback when?
Fucking firing of the morons when?
>>
>>386630982
>couldn't release their upcoming projects only on Gog ?
Ahaha can you imagine the tears if Cyberpunk 2077 is only on GOG.
Not that there will be any tears.I mean you just make an account and directly buy from the site.
>>
>>386633280
Gwent is a failure and will be dead soon just like that stupid Mobile MOBA
>>
>>386630982
gog only sells CDPR games and old games right now, it's not an actual competition to steam
>>
>>386636080
There are new titles on it but mostly Kickstarter/Indie.
Forget about anything AA or AAA though. People would never release their games on a DRM-Free platform.
>>
>>386631598
It's not as if there is shit loads of other new games you can play, it's ok to make compromises.
>>
>>386632486
What old game are you playing that doesn't have a server browser?
>>
>>386630982
>couldn't release their upcoming projects only on Gog ?
I wish they would so that they would die and fuck off with their shitty action games.
>>
>>386636485
> he's still salty about the 2015 GOTY awards
>>
>>386636563
He's right though. CDPR might have pro-customer practices but fuck they are the most unoriginal studio out there. Their games are just copies of the most popular trends.
>>
>>386636632
> Their games are just copies of the most popular trends.

out of all the retarded shit i've heard about CDPR in this disaster zone of bad opinions this is a new height. faggot live you deserve to rot with EA/ubisoft and japanese garbage
>>
>>386631941
>all CDPR games are DRM free anon, even the steam releases

You can play the Steam version without steam installed?
>>
>>386631095
All CDProjekt games are on GOG and can be very easily pirated. OP is asking if they would release their PC games on GOG exclusively in the future.
>>
>>386636563
>he's still salty his shit potatogame will never reach the heights of critical acclaim and popularity in the genre as Skyrim
>>
File: 1496217710239.webm (3MB, 768x480px) Image search: [Google]
1496217710239.webm
3MB, 768x480px
>>386636767
i don't want your games todd
>>
>>386636632

Is this bitch stupid?
>>
File: 1499080330707.webm (3MB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1499080330707.webm
3MB, 320x200px
>>386636632
>Their games are just copies of the most popular trends.
The problem is that they can't even copy anything right. Witcher 3 could have the perfect Skyrim killer, but it was such a shit, broken game with such horrible combat that even the ultimate normie bait formula (story driven open-world action game with sandbox elements) could not carry them to the top. CDPR have managed to objectively make a worse game than Bethesda, that's impressive in its own right.
>>
The thing is that I have TW3 on Steam and if GOG was the only option I would have shamelessly piprated it. And I know I'm not the only one.
>>
>>386637773
>The thing is that I have TW3 on Steam and if GOG was the only option I would have shamelessly piprated it.
This. Point is, when pirating shit is so easy, you have to lure in customers with something more than just giving them the game without too much hassle. Steam is the biggest social gaming platform, it offers normies a lot more than just the game itself while GoG offers literally nothing than just the game. GoG is literally in a no-win scenario: if they try to stay nothing more than just a distribution service, they will be forever dwarfed by Steam, because Steam offers normies a social platform. If GoG tries to become Steam-like, it will be forever dwarfed by Steam simply because Steam a lot more users, features and is vastly more popular and people are not very keen on changing services, especially ditching a service where most of their gaming friends are.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.