[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"I hope people don't get their expectations up too

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 276
Thread images: 26

File: masuda jun.png (754KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
masuda jun.png
754KB, 1080x1920px
"I hope people don't get their expectations up too high. We'll do our best." on pokémon switch game

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/junichi-masuda-talks-about-the-future-for-pokemon-on-nintendo-switch/
>>
Dont worry GF nobody expects anything from you anymore
>>
>used to love pokemon as a child
>can't stand it anymore
It wasn't that bad, was it?
>>
>pokemon will never be free from the clutches of gamefreak
why, bros
>>
JUST
>>
>>386568318
Yamauchi pussied out of a complete hostile takeover
>>
3D Pokemon was a mistake
>>
>>386567617
So the dream is dead ?
>>
I think he is saying not to expect an MMO which is all westernfags can talk about
Just make Colosseum 2 and Ill be happy
>>
>>386567617
I MEAN, IT'S NOT LIKE WE GAVE HAD 21 YEARS TO MAKE A FULLY 3D CONSOLE POKEMON OR ANYTHING. jesus.
>>
>>386567617
>"I hope people don't get their expectations up too high. We'll do our best."

Translation: 360p, 15 fps, no upscaling when connected to the TV, and ps2 graphics.
>>
File: DBpNGe_XgAQgcl3.jpg (371KB, 2000x1000px)
DBpNGe_XgAQgcl3.jpg
371KB, 2000x1000px
>how will we meet their expectations?
>put the bar as low as possible with a shitty rehash before it
>>
>>386568593
Every pokemon fan: BUT IT'S OKAY WHEN GAMEFREAK DOES IT!
>>
>we will do our best
>to make a 3ds game on switch like we have done for the last 4 or 5 years
>please understand and give us your money
>btw, new switch game is actually a remake of Diamonds and Pearls(raughs)
>>
>>386567617
He's referring to the fags who want you to visit every single region in one game or to have battles be like a 3D version of Pokken.
>>
>>386568782
Why not, the company is worth BILLIONS and it's their ONLY franchise.
>>
>>386567617
>I hope people don't get their expectations up too high

in other words:
>we arent gonna do an actual pokemon game like the handhelds. we are just gonna keep doing spinoffs.
>expect to just see another pokemon stadium type game.
>>
I quite frankly just want a mainline Pokemon on the Switch.
I am fine with the 3DS visuals. Put that on the Switch instead of the 3DS. I'll love it.

It's not as if I ever actually expected a couple hundreds of Pokken level pokemon models or anything.
Like just do the 3DS thing. Reuse assets. And improve the resolution and fix the aliasing.

I am sure people will be fine with it too. Or at the very least I'd be surprised if they weren't.
>>
No mega flygon then?
>>
>>386568868
GF prefers to stay small so they can share the humongous profits among themselves
Nintendo cant do anything about it like forcing them to get big and do a proper AAA pokemon game

Its pretty funny
>>
Translation: It's not going to be a real Pokemon game. It's going to be like Colosseum or Gale of Darkness.
>>
>>386569104
So it will be good then?
>>
>>386569104
But that's a high expecation
>>
>>386568979
People like you are the reason why pokemon died
>>
Motherfuckers talking about Switch but yet they don't tell us shit about the next Pokemon games coming out IN FOUR MONTHS.
>>
>>386569354
because no one cares about third version rehash shit
>>
>>386568979
The Pokemon models from Gens 6 and 7 are actually very high-poly. Pokemon Go uses the same ones, just with better textures. They clearly made them with the intention of re-using them in the future (although them being so high poly was the reason the 3DS games ran like shit).
>>
>>386568257

I used to love the Ninja Turtles. That's what happens when you actually let your tastes develop as you get older.
>>
>>386567617
So this is code for "we're just going to continue making the 3DS games, but they'll be on Switch and probably have fewer features since we can use 'but it's new hardware, we're just figuring things out!' as an excuse", right?
>>
It's funny the way he said it: "I hope people don't get their expectations up too high", I can think of a hundred ways of saying that without making it sound like the game we're developing is a piece of shit.
>>
>>386569302
Graphics fags wasting all of the development resources and hardware speccs on visuals. As opposed to making more complex, involved, and or grander scale games. Each new generation. Are why the industry has gone to shit.

I keep expecting actually better games. But instead each new year is just even more hyper realism and the big new thing is just that you can now see the very pores in the characters' skin as opposed to being able to have more objects on screen at once or whatever.
>>
People who want something extravagant need to get a clue.

Pokemon fans buy pokemon games. Twice as much detail with twice as much content with twice the mechanical depth won't amount to even 10% more sales.

Pokemon company/ GF isn't concerned about expanding pokemon. They're concerned about preserving the success they already have. And raining costs and fan expectations astronomically for almost no gain isn't how they plan to preserve pokemon's success.
>>
>>386569302
>Died
>X&Y + S&M sold some of the highest numbers in pokemon history and are rated the highest as well (X&Y are the highest rated pokemon games on metacritic. Period.)

Stay bitter you stupid cunt. I'll keep buying the games and enjoying the fuck out of them while you keep crying that they're not to your liking for years to come.
>>
File: mb.gif (989KB, 300x205px)
mb.gif
989KB, 300x205px
>>386568434
If only they hired the people who did the last good 3d pokemon game...
>>
>>386569413
i do because i didn't buy sumo because of all the shit i heard about it
>>
>>386568940
>I am retarded and I don't know Game Freak only does mainline
>>
>>386567617
Is this not just typical Japanese businessman extreme modesty? It's the same shit Yoko Taro does, where he shit talks himself and his game and tells everyone he's sorry they have to play such a poor game. It's a pretty standard thing with Japanese devs, since humility and modesty are so important in the Japanese business culture.
>>
>>386567617
>I hope people don't get their expectations up too high.

After Gen 6 I learned my lesson
>>
>>386567617
They should just pull a botw and throw everythin so far out the window and design an actual good an innovative game with pokemon in it. I would like to see them go back to the original pokemon designs as well but i don't see that happening so maybe just take the best 150 - 200 pokemon out of the lot and throw those in there.
>>
I mean, he is probably talking about the ones who want a massive 7 regions full catchable dex game.
>>
They know they're going to disappoint people
>>
>>386570050
absolutely horrendous level scaling and gameplace/story pace
>good
shoo
>>
>>386569078
Being small does not give them a free pass to be mediocre, they had 3 games on the 3DS to optimize the shit out of it, yet it looks like the game runs at a progressively worse performance, there are fps dips gallore.
>>
>>386570318
>horrendous level scaling
The fuck? You can go from start to finish no problem if you're not a retard, please, elaborate in this.
>gameplace/story pace
Better than sun moon retarded long-ass tutorial, long-ass first totem fights to just do everything fast togheter in the end.
>>
They don't want people to think Pokemon Switch will be SUPER GLORIOUS HD GIANT MASSIVE EPIC GENRE DEFINING game like BotW or Mario Odyssey.

They want people to remember that it will still be a Pokemon game. AKA a game for children
>>
>There will NEVER be an ambitious Pokemon game again because GFs creativity peaked with gen 2 and now they are so creativly bankrupt they just reheat the same formula they've had since gen 3 and tell fans to expect less

Feels bad bros
>>
>>386570919
What the fuck are you talking about?
Gen 3 was way more innovative than gen 2 was
>>
>>386570919
Good.
I don't want an 'ambitious' game that ruins the experience like so many other games have. That's why we have dog shit resident evil games now, because they got 'ambitious'.
I want a very similar pokemon experience in each of my games, just with new pokemon and fortunately for me that's exactly what GF is providing.
>>
>>386570919
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
>>
ITT: Things that should happen but Gamefreak current incompetence will fail to achieve:
Solid 60 fps
Stadium-like features, this will count as a home console game (Minigames, Tournaments, Battle Tower, etc)
Good rpg mode, not just try to make a stadium game.

One can dream
>>
File: SkylaTiddies.png (304KB, 636x900px)
SkylaTiddies.png
304KB, 636x900px
>>386570808

>AKA a game for children

anon
>>
How would you 'evolve' the core of the pokemon series? Instead of going around beating 8 gyms and collecting badges and then beating the league, what else could you do?
>>
File: 1501117529734.png (671KB, 1000x1000px)
1501117529734.png
671KB, 1000x1000px
>>386571606
>stadium mode
>you can rent any of the 700 fucking something Pokemon and battle with your friends just like in Stadium (each uses a joycon obviously)
>basically Pokemon Showdown but in an actual game

But that's too much work for ShitFreak
>>
>>386568776
>>
>>386567617
Kusoge confirmed.

Good to know, I won't have to bother with the Switch now.
>>
>>386571775
I dont really care i they stick to the old formula, as long as they give me the option to bump the difficulty, give the enemies hold items, more moves, comboes, anything that makes every battle a challenge instead of just a bunch of pushovers. For fucks sake they dont even need to make it hard by default so as to not scare the casuals, just give me a challenge for once FOR FUCKS SAKE
>>
>>386571875
Rentals balance was fucking weird, Kadabra with Psychic while Alakazam with Confusion, If they ever do this I hope they don't have this kind of bullshit again.
>>
>>386570224
why wouldn't they do this though? imagine, all regions all pokemon mmo
I'd buy a switch right now, but since nintendo hates money they wont even attempt to do this
>>
>>386570919
GSC were literally just an expansion pack to Gen 1. They were the complete opposite of ambitious.
>>
>>386571606
>Solid 60 fps
Its a turn-based game
>>
>>386568045
The GF stands for girlfriend right?
>>
BW2 was a legit good game. Nice overworld/battle sprites. Good music. Lots of endgame content.

They should've continued using sprites no matter what people said. The XY models are washed out garbage, ruining my bro Archeops.
>>
>>386569302
I'm petty sure it died because of Japanese housewives sending hatemail because their children got lost in DPPt
>>
>>386571661
don't know childrens sexualize the characters
>>
>>386570919
Sounds lame to me, I just want Pokemon. Having better level design than fucking SM and scaling the plot and atmosphere back to GSC level with some story sidequests for those who want more would be great though.
>>
>>386567617
Have they confirmed that it is open world?
>>
>>386572596
archeops is a faggot not a bro
>>
>People thinking it's going to be main series
>It'll be a shitty spin off
>>
>>386568715
Said no one ever.
>>
>>386570919
>creatively bankrupt
They don't need to put any effort in their games. When all games sell solely on brand appeal and nothing else, why put in effort? Better to torture fans than give them what they want because if you give them what they want and then release a game that's shit again; they'll latch on to that game you released prior

These people make shit ton of money too
>>
>>386567617

Reboot Pokémon.
>>
>>386573134
>open world
>famefreak
LaughingMasuda.jpg
>>
File: rickle pick.png (2MB, 2560x1440px)
rickle pick.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>still playing Pokemon as a grown adult

You deserve to get shit on.
>>
So probably a port of 3DS game or simultaneous release.
That said 3DS Pokemon games have such high-poly models in battle they should look just fine.
>>
>>386568868
You mean it's their only profitable IP, unless you're trying to say that Tembo, Harmoknight, Pulseman, Drill dozer and Giga Wrecker don't exist. There's a few others but I don't care enough to remember.
>>
>>386572474
They couldn't do solid 30fps on the fucking 3DS while game likes Smash (60fps) and Resident Evil (30fps) on the same system and pokemon look a lot worse than those 2.
>>
>>386568257
>It wasn't that bad, was it?
No, it wasn't. They fucked up the franchise by making it more kiddy friendly and changing the artstyle
>>
"I hope people don't get their expectations up too high."
Translation: We're gonna make the exact same game again and not take advantage of being on a home console at all.

Honestly kinda expected this. Gamefreak is infamously terrible at programming. They've only gotten worse the more advanced systems get. Nintendo Handhelds being so dated was the only reason they could keep making games. Now that they're on a console more advanced than a PS1, it's gonna be an absolute shit show of buggyness, crappy effects, poor optimization, and really ugly graphics.
>>
>>386572286
I think starting over with Kanto would be a route to take.
Making the game too big adds lots of room for empty fluff. We should want them to aim for a game size of reasonable size.
>>
>>386574475
Ah yeah, I remember when Pokémon wasn't kid-friendly. Lots of sex and gore in the early games.
>>
>>386573295
>Game Freak
>Anything other than mainline game
Are you retarded ?
>>
>>386567617
dumb phoneposter.
>>
>>386573295

>"Core Pokemon title"
>Made by gamefreak, who only makes the mainline games, not the spinoffs

Don't talk out of your ass if you don't know shit
>>
The only difference between this game and their older ones is higher resolution and shit like that. They've always said they'll make the same games and they have no reason to change it, they make bank with all their games.
>>
>>386568940
>>expect to just see another pokemon stadium type game.
I've wanted another stadium game since the disappointment of PBR
>>
>>386569104
I fucking wish.
>>
>>386574654
>making it more kiddy friendly
>more kiddy friendly
>more
Can you not read? Are your ancestors african american by chance?
>>
>Game Freak will never limit themselves to game design and leave programming to Level-5
>we'll never get a competently programmed Pokémon game
>the first Yokai Watch on 3DS will look and run miles better than Pokémon on Switch
>>
>>386568715
>Every pokemon fan: BUT IT'S OKAY WHEN GAMEFREAK DOES IT!

You never met a pokemon fan right? gamefreak gets trashed regularly because they are incompetent fucks
>>
>>386574931
Define "more". Because gen 5 still stands as the least kid friendly game and I stress least.
>>
>>386575120
and gen 5 flopped
>>
>>386567617

And?

Nice shitpost thread.
>>
Someone who has never played a Pokémon game before here.
Can you fill out all the Pokédex entries by just scanning random QR codes or is it just specific Pokémons?
I like the idea, but it seems a bit grindy to find new QR codes.
>>
File: 1489717932497.jpg (69KB, 587x627px)
1489717932497.jpg
69KB, 587x627px
>>386569582
>not still loving Ninja Tutles
>>
>>386575243
>flopped
Are you being retarded on purpose?
Anything over 10m can never be considered a flop especially for a series as cheap as pokemon.
>>
>>386575484
>far from outselling gen 4
>gen 6 outsold it
Flop
>>
>>386575542
So you are a retard.
>>
>>386575662
>no argument
:)
>>
>>386575120
We're not on gen 5 though, are we?
Both this gen and the previous one were absolute brain dead kiddy shit.
>>
>>386575542
Using that logic every game that isn't red and blue flopped too. See how fucking dumb you sound?
>>
Nintendo needs to force GF to hire a support company until they figure out 3D, call in someone like Atlus to assist.
>>
File: 1327980514932.png (384KB, 800x600px)
1327980514932.png
384KB, 800x600px
>>386567617
What was your peak, /v/?
Mine was HG & SS
>tfw never explore around with your Pokebro following behind.
>>
>>386567617
It's going to be pokemon fucking go with trainer battles and no story mode.
>>
>>386575813
>tfw all those data miners found out that every single pokemon has a running and walking animation
>might not even be used
>>
>>386575738
Gen 6 also has a man either stuck with a broken body under a ton of rocks for all eternity or a man that willingly killed himself.
Gen 7 has a ton of child and pokemon abuse along with manipulation and a story of someone getting munched by an ultra beast.

They still aren't anywhere near as kid friendly as say gens 1 and 2.
>>
>>386575919
>no story mode

count me in

story in pokemon games is shit and just a way to railroad the player
>>
>>386575813
Same. Literally everyone in my highschool was also playing it or had those pokewalkers on them, it was a really magical few months.
>>
>>386576002
>muh plot defines the tone of the game
>not the music, artstyle and dialogue
kys yourself my man
>>
>>386575813
Platinum and HGSS.
Gen 5 was average and the magic was starting to go away.
Gen 6 was pretty much terrible and killed my interest in the series.

I'm willing to give USUM a shot.
>>
>>386576384
>not the music, artstyle and dialogue
First two haven't changed a bit last one as I've just shown you has been getting less child friendly over the years
>>
>>386576002
i don't think he was talking about backstory that children are too lazy or stupid to know

i think that he was referring to the fact that games are far more hand-holdy than they were in earlier games. s&m is basically half tutorial and half cutscene.

also lavender town was in gen1 and that outspooks anything else in these games.
>>
>>386576527
>the music and artstyle haven't changed
>plot = dialogue
Am I being rused? Not even reddit can be this stupid.
>>
>>386575813
Tie between HG/SS and B&W2.
>>
>>386572286
Because that's a ludicrous amount of effort for something that only a small number of people who will never be satisfied want

>MMO

Fuck off

A company doesn't hate money when they're content to make easy games that sell millions of copies rather than spend several times as much on muh MMO only to get back slightly more money than usual, if even that.
>>
>>386572519
GameFreak, the Pokemon dev.
>>
>>386576562
>i think that he was referring to the fact that games are far more hand-holdy than they were in earlier games. s&m is basically half tutorial and half cutscene.
That's not entirely true. Pokemon has always had that level of handholding the difference now is that trainers have less pokemon.

Also you were sucked in by the creepypasta
>>
>>386571875
You just know the rentals would all be preset and you wouldn't be able to customize their stats, ability, nature, or moves if they did something like that.
>>
>>386576648
Have you actually played a pokemon game? Because the music and artstyle has been kiddy since inception.
Also you do realise that the plot has to be conveyed through dialogue right?
>>
>>386570050
>GameCube games
>Good
I sure love a luckluster, poorly-paced story complete with a shit selection of Pokemon, big empty cities/towns with no routes to seperate them and extremely short enemy bases that have more fights in them than mainline bases that are at least twice as big.
>>
This means it probably won't be any different from the current games. It's not going to happen but my dream has been a 3D, full open world type game for Pokemon.
>>
>>386575331
In Sun and Moon you can scan QR codes to add Pokemon to your dex, but it only adds them as "Seen" rather than "Caught" I believe. And every species has its own unique QR code, it isn't like the game generates a random pokemon into your dex when you scan any old QR code. You need that Pokemon's QR code.
>>
>>386577116
Shhh, let the nostalgia blind you like it does everyone else.
>>
File: pokemon directors.jpg (598KB, 1262x2220px)
pokemon directors.jpg
598KB, 1262x2220px
Reminder.
>>
>>386577058
>Because the music and artstyle has been kiddy since inception.
but never as kiddy as now, that's my point, cockmuncher.
>>
>>386577404
>but never as kiddy as now
Are you being serious.
It has always been kiddy you idiot.
>>
>>386577058
Plot is conveyed in part, not exclusively, through dialogue, yes, and the dialogue in Pokemon games is for children. There's a difference between just summarizing and spelling out some events that happen in the game, and how that's conveyed to the player.

Though I don't think Pokemon is any more kiddy in this department than it's ever been, the big bad cartoonishly evil villain with a saturday morning cartoon goal being """"killed"""" in the way he is in Y is not mature subject matter.
>>
>>386576873
>Also you were sucked in by the creepypasta
haven't read any on lavender town specifically.

lavender town is scary because

>perfect music
>entire town and npcs focus on death
>rival is visting his head pokemon
>you encounter what you think are actual ghosts, which every single pokemon is completely frightened by, even things like gyarados
>plot about mother dying to protect her child

you actually experience these things in the game, as opposed to pokedex entries that talk about how x pokemon steals kids in the night that are as real in the game as superstitions in real life

>That's not entirely true. Pokemon has always had that level of handholding the difference now is that trainers have less pokemon.
you admit that the games have become easier? so you agree with me, then?
>>
>>386577572
not an argument
>>
>>386577404
You were a kid when you played the older games and you're older now, no shit the newer games seem kiddier, because you aren't a fucking kid, and because kids' taste has changed over the years, you can't just look back and compare it to what you liked as a kid to get perspective on the matter.

Pokemon has literally always been for children. The art, the music, and the story, have always been simple affairs that five year olds can enjoy. The dialogue has never been any more mature or complex than it is right now.
>>
>>386577642
SM has stuff like the old woman being carried by a Machamp in a graveyard telling you they're visiting the grave of her husband who died in an accident and the Machamp always despairs for being unable to save him. The games have by no means got any more kid-friendly.
>>
>>386568318
Play Pokemon Go :^)
>>
>>386568257

Everyone's first experience with Pokemon is 10/10 great. But then, every other game is just the same.

Having played Pokemon Blue, I can't say if the series has been constantly getting easier, or if I've just played the same game more and more to a point where everything is just flat and expected.

GameFreak are shit developers. Mystery Dungeon is where Pokemon shines now.
>>
>>386577589
>is not mature subject matter.
No one said it was mature anon. That being said the goal of Lysandre was to kill everyone that he didn't personally choose and while it was poorly written it's hardly on the same tier as team rocket in terms of child friendliness.
>>
>>386567617
Yeah good. After Sun/Moon I'm not expecting any better than another load of shit.
Other than the rock dog I genuinely cannot think of a single positive thing about that game.
>>
>>386578406
what? did i miss something? pls explain
>>
>>386578157
>while it was poorly written
It was good in Pokespe so at least the concept didn't get entirely wasted.
>>
>>386572286
>all regions mmo
>when Iwata had to singlehandedly fix GS just to get Kanto
>>
>>386578012
Eh when I was younger it was more novel, or else maybe the additional features were better. But it hit a wall in that consoles got good enough that innovation could no longer come from overcoming technical limitations and suddenly it stopped being a worthwhile series because none of the "innovations" justified the new games. Especially since they're STILL referencing the fucking original dex and game in the newer ones.

I mean I played Red first and Silver was leagues ahead of that.

Also am I remembering correctly (only played till 5th gen and barely at that point) but was Gold/Silver generation the hardest not counting those endless gauntlet areas with hax or is it just my memory?
>>
File: 1481750842704.jpg (591KB, 1610x1616px)
1481750842704.jpg
591KB, 1610x1616px
>>386578476
It gave us Mimikyu.
>>
>>386578157
They are on the same level. Lysandre's goals are portrayed as safely as possible and not one bit of what he plans comes to fruition. I'm not saying Team Rocket is MORE mature, they're also for kids, but they're yakuza-inspired goons with a penchant for animal cruelty, and you see them do the bad things even though the things are less bad. The big evil plan being bigger in scope doesn't make him more mature, how fucking ludicrous and fictional his plan is almost makes it harder to give a shit. What he wants to do is so cartoonishly evil you KNOW he won't do it and you'll save the day and everything will be just fine.
>>
>>386578619
>but was Gold/Silver generation the hardest not counting those endless gauntlet areas with hax or is it just my memory?
I'd bet on memory, it was tedious because of the scaling but never hard.
>>
>>386578619
Gold and Silver had a more unforgiving level curve at times.
>>
>>386578854
>Lysandre's goals are portrayed as safely as possible
Define "safely".
>>
>>386578912
>but never hard.
The two are hardly mutually exclusive considering the series we're talking about.
>>
>>386568434
This. BW/2 sprites were kino
>>
>>386578854
And this is why you never argue with a genwunner. Not only is he downplaying how obnoxious the stupidity and childishness of TR was but he's also downplaying the dualouge of later games which are clearly done in a way to emphasise how serious the nature of the plot is.
>>
>>386579286
The scaling looked like dogshit though.
>>
>>386568257
No

It just ironically never evolved much. Neckbeards from /vp/ will tell you otherwise though.
>>
>>386578998
>Lysandre's goals are portrayed as safely as possible
he says he's going to basically murder 90% of the people in the world yet he never murders anyone at all.

team rocket are just there to do illegal shit. they steal, they murder pokemon, they mutilate pokemon, they take over casinos, etc. etc.

lysandre does NOTHING
>>
>>386570483

He's likely thinking of Colo's level scaling.
>>
>>386572117

It was to make you import your own Pokemon. Making fully evolved rentals have shit moves was their way of doing that. That and their shit stats.
>>
>>386577372
Man Shigeru ohmri is seriously disappointing, hes all style, no substance.
>>
>>386567617
My expectations were permanently set low when Masuda claimed Pokemon Snap on Wii U wouldn't be interesting. Using the gamepad as a camera is like the most stupidly obvious thing ever, these guys are just mindblowingly uncreative nowadays
>>
>>386579497
>lysandre does NOTHING
Play the game anon.
>>
>>386568593
>15 fps
that's generous for gamefreak
>>
File: 1454114721987.gif (2MB, 277x342px)
1454114721987.gif
2MB, 277x342px
>>386573865
>Drill Dozer will NEVER get the focus Pokemon does by its own developer
>Drill Dozer sequel on Switch NEVER
>>
>>386579929
>Play the game anon.
yeah he activates a doomsday weapon that doesn't end up hurting anyone.

can you give me an example of lysandre or team flare killing anyone on their quest to kill EVERYONE because i admit i don't remember any.
>>
>>386569582
Go watch new movies
It's literally ninja turtles from our childhood
And that's fucking great
>>
>>386567617
>I hope people don't get their expectations up too high.
After gen 5 I learned my lesson
>>
>>386580372
That you clearly have shit taste?
>>
>>386568257
>>386574475
Red and Blue are fucking unplayable, glitchy messes.
>>
I dont get why people buy both editions of a pokemon game that come out. theyre the same game yeah?
>>
>>386580601
Yes, and?
>>
>>386577372
And who is the director of the new game?
>>
>>386580678
in the past it was more justifiable, no online and a good chance of no friends to play with because of the random stigma against it in middle-high school. Now its just nonsense, trade with others if you need the other stuff.
>>
>>386580678
>>386582067
If a mainline pokemon game is on the Switch, that'll mean you have to pay to trade or battle online now though.
>>
>>386568257
Pokemon was never really all that great and you were a child which are easily satisfied.
>>
>>386582256
>that'll mean you have to pay to trade or battle online now though.
i'm okay with this since it's based nintendo
>>
>>386580601
>unplayable
Bugged as fuck sure. Somewhat archaic in this day and age, yeah.
But it's easily playable and can be completed. Some of these glitches you have to go out of your way to do
>>
>>386582712
Focus Energy literally lowers your crit rate.
Wrap, Bind, and Sleep, while not glitches, are implemented terribly.
Toxic and Leech Seed run off the same counter and boost each others' damage. This wouldn't be a problem if every Grass Pokemon wasn't part Poison.

There's a lot more, but it's pretty bad. Current Pokemon is objectively leagues better, battle system-wise.
>>
>>386582993
>There's a lot more, but it's pretty bad. Current Pokemon is objectively leagues better, battle system-wise.
No shit that was my point man. Shit's buggy but it's not unplayable/unbeatable for the most part.
Granted the focus energy thing slipped my mind.
>>
PvP was a mistake and is holding the series back
>>
>>386572474
Which means it is even more sad that they can't deliver 60fps then. There is no excuses for such incompetence.
>>
>>386572117
They did this because if they didn't there would be no real reason to use the pre-evolutions. Also >>386579786
>>
>>386567617
>I hope people don't get their expectations up too high
*brutal pokemon direct before E3 flashbacks*
>>
>>386577372
>Origin/Cannot Properly Manage A Project To Save His Life Tier: Tajiri
>Somebody Stop Him Already Tier: Masuda
>Should Make The Games Tier: Morimoto, Kawachimaru, Unno
>Hit The Ground Falling, Keeps On Dropping Tier: Ohmori
>>
>>386578476
They removed HMs which fans wanted to happen for a long time. Why do people forget this?
>>
>>386570050
>can't turn animations off
>mandatory double battles

it's shit
>>
Its going to be like Pokemon XD . Everyone expected a game on the same scale as the gameboy games but it was a lot more simple and smaller.
>>
>>386578628
>Pikachu rehash
Oh, great.
>>
>>386567617
If people ever expect anything out of GF, they are retarded. Sun/Moon sucked donkey dick.
>>
>>386583904
People still complained because you can't please Pokefags.
>>
Pokemon Stadium Switch. Is so blatantly obvious.
>>
>>386567617
Well, that's a bit ominous. I didn't expect much from them in the first place but that makes it sound like they aren't even going to try.
>>
>>386583673
I've been saying this for the longest. When gen 1 came along it never seemed to me that people were obsessed with the battling like you see with the modern games on this site. I always assumed most preferred the single player and trading aspects. At least that is what I noticed in my school. I don't think most did a ton of battling. It was all about catching them and learning about what we all came to understand to be myths about the games.
>>
>>386574562
>starting over with Kanto

Kill yourself. We just got Kanto shilling garbage wank fests in Sun & Moon.
>>
>>386584352
Pokemon's formula will never change much due to how heavy the competitive aspect is, and how the only fights ingame are single battles. They just want to rush you through the game into Battle Spot fights, which aren't fun in the slightest.

I just want to use a team of pokemon i like and play through a game that's decent in its own right, not use one of four flavors of Tapus and do the same boring battles online.
>>
>>386582256
>that'll mean you have to pay to trade or battle online now though.
Or you could just do it locally. That's a thing that still exists on Nintendo platforms.
>>
>>386584628
Don't forget how gen 6 was a kanto wankfest, complete with a 4 episode long charizard ad
>>
>>386584194
why would they try when you're going to buy it anyway
>>
>>386576665
they'd hav eto fuck up collosally to make a pokemon MMO not profitable
>>
>>386584671
So, buy two switches and two copies of the game like in

>>386582067
>>
>>386584924
Or have friends.
Like the majority of people who play pokemon.
>>
>>386570919
I just want to play pokemon. Sun/Moon robs you of that experience by throwing Kukui and Lillie in your face.
>>
>>386579440
If you're interested enough to look at metagames pokemon has changed a ton, every gen from 1 through 6 has a radically different metagame.
Change is slowing down though, and sun/moon didn't really cause any structural changes to how gen 6 was played, it just added a few new toys.

But the games themselves are completely samefag because you don't need to worry about mechanics or stats and also way too easy for anybody over the age of 12 to derive any challenge from
>>
I hate the shit out of the gateway waifu that is Lillie. She doesn't even do anything at all, but the game revolves around her
>>
>>386568434
Fuck off Stadium, and Colosseum were great.

>>386568529
Does GoD not count as Colosseum 2

>>386569354
Pokken DX comes out in like two months though
>>
>>386584656
Me too but I also do understand that I've grown up and cannot always be the target audience for this series. It may just be because I have such a strong nostalgia for the old games but they always seemed to be much more adventurous to me then what I read of these newer games and how people seem to want to enjoy them. One other thing I forgot to mention is there used to be cool discussions at school about the glitches and tons of urban legends about missingno.

None of this seems to exist with the games after I dropped it. With the 3rd gen being my last gen. I hear they even got rid of secret bases when that was such a neat feature of R/S. What a shame if that is true.
>>
>>386585614
It's not even about getting older. I can still go back and play older games like 4 and 5 and still have fun. 7's just a shitheap with a region nearly as bad as kanto. There's just no exploration and there's far too much focus on a story nobody cares about.
>>
File: 1453488598508.png (114KB, 368x298px)
1453488598508.png
114KB, 368x298px
>>386567617
Hoping for a Colosseum style game that isn't bogged down with the same beat 8 bosses and the e4 formula. Wonder what they feel like. On one hand they make kids pretty happy the world over and handle one of the most popular franchises for vidya ever. On the other people hate their guts.
I liked Sun and Moon a lot though, stellar Pokemon designs outside of the occasional stinker like Lycanroc.
>>
>>386568257
I tried playing Sun after not playing Pokemon for 7 years and there's so much story that I stopped playing
>>
>>386585459
She ruined the whole experience for me.
>>
>>386585167
or play on ds where you can play with an enormous amount of people for free

nah i have no need for that
>>
>>386585941
Literally all she does is walk around with a fartcloud that turns into a lion. God forbid she get a starter from the professor to help protect said fartcloud. How many fucking times was "get back in the bag" uttered by her?
>>
>>386585459
I get what they were trying to do with her, but the game was too small to form a cohesive narrative for that style.
What she was intended to function as is main character for the plot in order to not take the personal feeling away from the player character but still let the writers make a story revolving around set characters. But the story was too barebones, either go all the way or none at all. No half done ones like the end result.
>>
>>386570405
it's like they get a little tiny tiny bit used to it and optimise it the minimal amount and say, "hey we should change it all completely and become incompetent again"
they stepped away from doing chibi models and went to better models in gen 7 but now they're moving to HD, baring in mind Aonuma made his team work on Wind Waker HD to get used to HD, before moving onto BotW, when they're a competent team
imagine how fucking Game Freak is going to take to working on a HD game
>>
>>386568593

No you idiot. There are people out there expecting World of Warcraft but with Pokemon. Technical specs isn't the problem.
>>
>>386585969
>or play on ds where you can play with an enormous amount of people for free
DS WiFi is dead anon. And no one plays on 3ds anymore but hackers and dumb kids.
>>
>>386568257
Pokemon is genuinely only good and engaging the first time you play it as a child
If you play any more of them after you're old enough to drive a car, it becomes really apparent how formulaic and bland the actual gameplay is, and how autistic the competitive scene is if you think that will make it fun
>>
pmd is better anyways
>>
>>386573002
this.
fuckinghell anon, I was excited to find cool caves in Sun and Moon to only find that the one with Guzzlord in was like 2 floors?
The game had nothing spectacular to offer just like Gen 6
Gen 5 felt like an absolute peak for me in the series in Black and White 2
so much content
nothing like a second region, but it was filled with good shit
they best be doing these shitty games and pushing a tiny bit of gay lore in there to build up to something otherwise I'm being scammed into buying them and I'm not going to do anything about it
>>
>>386567617
Where did all go wrong bros?

It was clearly Generation 5
>>
>>386586061
She gets away with that because she's a helpless loli who is desperately pushed onto the MC every step of the way. I'm just really hoping that there are no Lillie-type characters in the next game.
>>
>>386569851
This desu
All Gamefreak needs to do is come up with ~100 new designs and a new crop of female character designs for people to make porn of for each generation, and Pokemon will sustain itself forever
>>
>>386567617
What the fuck? What expectations? The appeal of Pokemon on Switch is finally being able to play it on a tv, so it actually looks good. That's it. What expectations are they thinking people have that are "too high"? Is it "too high" to expect the game to have actual graphics now that its on a stronger system then the 3DS? Is it "too high" to expect a proper core Pokemon RPG, like handhelds have been getting for years, on the Switch instead of another spinoff?

They really don't seem confident at all about this. Maybe its because, after the Wii U, they fear making a proper Pokemon game for a console with a unknown future? Is the Switch's future really that hard to see right now? I mean, after christmas of this year, pretty much everyone will know right away if its another Wii U in sales or not.
>>
>>386587094
She wouldn't be helpless if she grabbed the one starter that was left.
>>
>>386586367
With 60 million 3DS's I'm sure you can find some normies with them, think about how many college kids got them for x and y
>>
>>386586916
That was the best generation, though.
>>
>>386587240
Eh it was ok
>>
>>386586916
Well you aren't wrong. GF made the best gen to date and it sold the least do they went back to gen 4 tiers of trash.
>>
>>386569582
>I used to love the Ninja Turtles. That's what happens when you actually let your tastes develop as you get older.

You sound like you got bitter, not older.
>>
File: 1467465645501.png (89KB, 399x382px)
1467465645501.png
89KB, 399x382px
>>386587160
>WHAT EXPECTATIONS COULD THEY MEAN!?
>lists expectations
>WE JUST DON'T KNOW!
>>
>>386567617
As long as they make more designs as good as gen 7 I don't care. They brought back bug with some great stuff like Buzzwole and Golisopod after nearly nothing in gen 6.
>>
File: 38448229.png (100KB, 522x515px)
38448229.png
100KB, 522x515px
>>386577372
I hope they keep Ohmori way the fuck away from any future games.
>>
>But no one cares about exploration
>But no one cares about attempting to balance the game
>But no one cares about Battle Frontier
Fuck Game Freak and their lazy asses. They can't even make good city designs, and it was a confusing mess the one time they tried to make an actual large city (Lumios City) that somehow made it through testing despite having a bug that could fuck up your save file (fixed soon after release though).
>>
File: 1500870093070.jpg (571KB, 666x894px)
1500870093070.jpg
571KB, 666x894px
>>386568257
I only play it for the lolis.
>>
>>386581361
The only lead we have is that it MIGHT be Takao Unno from some stuff a few weeks ago. Otherwise no idea.
>>
>>386588304
I legitimately could not figure out Lumios City. There were no landmarks to let you know where you were. You wanted to visit a certain cafe? Go down every street until you find it.
>>
>>386586916
>gamefreak wants to make their games more linear starting with gen 5
>at the same time they make remakes of generation 3 and no one complains about how Hoenn is a rather open region
Really makes you think don't it?
>>
>>386568257
No, its just that the games are so similar that it ends up feeling bland because you've caught yourself a party, level grinded then beat up people until the credits sequence before.
>>
After Sun/Moon fooling me with no post game worth giving a fuck about, I'm fucking done with Game Freak.

I want to believe they are capable of more, they've shown it. B/W2 were an amazing achievement that boasted greatness and it all went downhill when they went 3D and switched directors.

Fuck Game Freak.
>>
>>386587160
They're probably talking about the people that want a Pokemon MMO or some other open world shit.
>>
>>386587558
I'm the opposite. I can totally understand why I used to appreciate certain anime I watched a decade ago and am enjoying them much more a second or third watch
>>
>>386590735
>fooling me with no post game worth giving a fuck about
If they never promised such a thing from the get-go, the only way you got fooled was to do the wrong thing and assume what would be in the game with no basis for justification.
>>
>>386570318
>>386577116
>>386583962
I haven't been here in 2 or so years and it's amazing how drasticly of a shift it has taken. You underage faggots are so embarassing.
>>
As usual the Pokemon fanbase will be expecting an open world mainline game with 300+ new Pokemon and all regions
>>
>>386568045
/thread fpbp upvoted second encore ding zimbabwe
>>
>>386577372
>Masudas fucking resume.

Holy fuck who thought it was a good idea to take away pokemon from that man ?
>>
>>386567617
fucking hack, it's already probably shit
>>
File: Lusaminetop.gif (865KB, 522x512px)
Lusaminetop.gif
865KB, 522x512px
>>386575943
>Those threads on /VP/
it was hilarious
>>
>people are expecting an open world pokemon like the gameboy games but with better graphics since the n64
>they never did it because...
>i-i hope the expectations arent too high
You deserve it.avi
>>
>>386568257
Gen 1 was bugged as fuck but has one of the best designed world maps and some of the best progression and pacing of any RPG ever. Also had better writing (partially because it was more subdued and allowed to be just a tad edgier, implicitly).
Gen 2 had a super polished battle system, lots of cool goodies and played incredibly well, but its overworld and progression sucked balls.
Gen 3 was kinda in the middle.
Gen 5 was a return to form and similar to Gen 3.

The rest are mediocre games, and the fact that the story never really evolves or does anything new combined with the mostly stagnant battle system means that it gets tiring after a while.

Or, in short, would you play Dragon Quest 7 times if every single one had the exact same story and gameplay but added a few new monsters and called it a day?
>>
>>386596236
>Or, in short, would you play Dragon Quest 7 times if every single one had the exact same story and gameplay but added a few new monsters and called it a day?
Isn't that the entire appeal of DQ?
>>
>>386583840
>The guys who only have to revise a flawed game do better than the guy who has to make a completely new gen from scratch.

Really makes you think.
>>
>>386596612
>lock yourself in your house for 15 days and some good LSD carpet
>?????
>quality writting (pokemons in this case)
Really does.
>>
File: 1481173171293.gif (204KB, 417x379px)
1481173171293.gif
204KB, 417x379px
>>386595567
>>
>>386567617
Can't they just uh, ask Nintendo to help? You know, actual people with talent?
>>
>>386596861
Why bother? They can make millions by just half-assing it
>>
>>386596807
>>
File: terriblejoke.gif (2MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
terriblejoke.gif
2MB, 500x281px
>>386596861
>nintendo
>talent
They managed to make mario 25, but still.
>>
>>386596556
No. Every DQ is a big overhaul in some way, shape or form. That's why Horii is a celebrated director/designer.

II went from a simple one player romp to a three player party and a world that's about 3x bigger (in terms of content, not land mass). III added an entire class system, had a pretty damn ambitious story for its time, customizable party, a game 2x bigger than II and way better, and tons of extra shit.

IV is a HUGE leap forward in game scenario writing, taking on a picaresque form and experimenting with a multitude of pre-set character classes and a story where you don't even get the protag until the halfway point. V introduces an entire monster taming system and several other neat touches and takes on the form of a Victorian Tragedy until twist in the last few hours of the game.

VI...is kinda shit. But it did reintroduce the class system with an even greater degree of customization and complexity than the likes of FFV.

VII is one of the biggest RPGs ever created and is an exercise in creating a living, breathing world in a single player experience and is just fucking HUGE in scope. It also introduced the party chat feature for tons of context. VIII is an attempt towards open world design in 3D way before it became a meme, introduced skill trees before THAT was a meme too, went back towards strongly defined characters but with a much smaller and tighter cast than any since II, and took a leap towards tackling cinematic storytelling while also having some of the best designed locales ever seen in a 3D RPG. Seriously, they make such good use of the space, it's crazy.

IX's a weird experiment into multiplayer, X is another weird MMO experiment, and XI is the logical conclusion of what VIII was trying to do.

So no.
They keep a similar battle system that keeps iterating upon itself, but in design and storytelling they constantly change.
>>
File: lily3.gif (2MB, 461x519px)
lily3.gif
2MB, 461x519px
>>
>>386596807
That tail looks painful
>>
>>386586417
This. It's charming when you were young and still imagined the world and videogames more naively and excessively (especially upcoming ones), but you eventually get older and trade those wild thoughts away for something more grounded. Or not, like a few friends I had who played them into their 20s, and also remained children in their minds.

The concept of pokemon, at a distance, is just cool as hell. Now, the games themselves, from a grounded perspective, are a bunch of really low-level turn based tactics thing with a bunch of wandering in-between, more low level than most JRPGs. They suck ass, in fact.

The concept is still really amusing, having so many potential fighting parties is cool, it's a wonderful idea for a world, etc. When little kids play it, the game simply seems like so much more than it really is, which brings that concept even more to life. I don't know if aspies that play it into adulthood are the same way, if anything they suffer from always lacking that childish capacity.

Kids know how to stick their imaginations into things to a fault, though adults discard way too much of it and become "jaded". The aspies that play it into adulthood are just clinging to a safe-zone, and you can see that same attitude in the rest of their lives.
>>
>>386577372
Who directed the gamecube games?
>>
>>386578012
>Mystery dungeon is where pokemon shines now
Ah yes because Super "Never ending tutorial" Mystery Dungeon was so fantastic.
>>
>>386567617
Unfortunately Gamefreak's best is worse than anyone else's average.
>>
File: 1494002191460.png (172KB, 304x369px)
1494002191460.png
172KB, 304x369px
>>386597358
An actual anon that knows what hes talking about, I'm pretty happy.

Have played almost every DQ and am playing DQ7 right now, I agree with everything you say, just can't confirm about 7 yet, but I'm loving every second I play it.

Thanks based DQ anon.
>>
>>386568593
>no upscaling when connected to the TV
So it's a 360p image in the center of your TV with black borders?
>>
>>386598426
Someone at GeniusSonority, which is not GameFreak.

Colosseum is a piece of shit.

>>386598564
GeniusSonority's best makes GameFreak's worst look like gold.
>>
>tfw genuinely liked ORAS
>People were butthurt because no battle frontier or game corner and wont appreciate everything else the game had
>>
>>386599006
Why don't you tell us the good things it did have then?
>>
>>386597176
requesting the one of Mohn doing the hitmontop animation
>>
>>386598661
I'd personally recommend popping the PS1 version of 7 into an emulator just to play the opening. The 3DS version gutted the initial puzzles to hell and it sucks. Otherwise it's an absolutely fantastic remake that bumped 7 from a mid-tier entry to one of my favorites.

It's a shame that people miss out on the subtle things because of Toriyama's sameface and Horii's minimalist writing style.
>>
>>386567617

How is this series still popular again?
>>
>>386599291
Contests
Framerate didnt suck a dick like SM
The story was a better retelling of the originals that incorporated mega evolution
Dexnav
Flying on latios/latias
Tons of legendaries to catch
All of the gyms were changed to have new puzzles
Hard mode elite 4 after you beat it the first time
Dexnav again because it was literally the best feature in this series and they took it away
>>
>>386599006
I feel that way about all of the 3DS Pokemon titles
>>
>>386593674
Look at the last two games of the list
>x/y
>>
I can kind of get people who liked, say, Gen 1-4 and dislike 5 onwards, but I don't understand how anyone can say with a straight face that Gen 5 was their favorite and 6 onwards killed the series. It was the beginning of complete linearity, gym leaders with 3 mons, and E4s with 4 mons, all points that are used as negatives for the later gens.
>>
>>386588961

That's what the cabs are for.
>>
>>386600073
Shit region design and balance.
Good everything else.
>>
>>386589715
>no one complains about how Hoenn is a rather open region

Anon where do you think the "TOO MUCH SURFING" meme came from? The requiring surfing is incredibly simple but people are dumb and get lost easily once you take away the invisible rails so they got angry.
>>
File: JUSTSonority.png (55KB, 642x488px)
JUSTSonority.png
55KB, 642x488px
Reminder that Genius Sonority got sent to the mobile game dungeon for failing.
>>
>>386600906
>Make a bad RPG
>Make a slightly less bad RPG
>Make a pretty good puzzle game, saving your company from dissolution.
>Make a bad Pokemon Stadium some-fucking-how.
>Make a mediocre Dragon Quest game.
>Get sent to the shovelware farm for a few years to learn a lesson.
>Make a shit 3DS shop game.
>Make a shit sequel on a fraction of the budget.
>Make it a third time on almost no budget.
>Make a F2P version as a last ditch effort and STILL fail.

They deserve it.
Trozei is literally the only good thing they've ever done.
>>
>>386596556
I was gonna say something but >>386597358 said it 100 times better.

Think of of a wall. And someone asks you to do something nice to the wall. DQ goes and finds materials and rebuilds the wall, as sturdy as before, but with now there's a nice tiling on the wall. Meanwhile all Pokemon does to the wall is to put a new coat of paint and call it a day. And then this happens the next day and DQ goes and makes a colorful collage on the wall, while Pokemon goes and does the same thing again, a new coat of paint over the old coat. It's still a wall, but there's a clear difference in the amount of love and effort put on how the wall will look and feel even if it's still gonna be just a wall.
>>
>>386600343
that's just because surfing roads are boring. There's no variety to them.
Thread posts: 276
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.