[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are D&D games so damn comfy? Just finished KOTOR 2 and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 5nsmz56.jpg (53KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
5nsmz56.jpg
53KB, 1920x1080px
Why are D&D games so damn comfy? Just finished KOTOR 2 and started playing NWN Diamond. Any other games that use the same mechanics?
>>
>>386538596
Planescape Torment
>>
>comfy buzzword
>praising shitty games that use RTWP combat and an awful tabletop ruleset

Bad thread.
>>
>tfw you've played them all
>>
>>386539015
>RTWP
They aren't real time you mongoloid.
>>
>>386538596
Witcher 1
>>
Icewind Dale and Baldurs Gate series are the most obvious
>>
File: Capture.png (643KB, 713x637px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
643KB, 713x637px
>>386539128
>>
Well, time to play NWN again. I really love everything going on in that game. I recommend playing community modules or jumping into a RP world if you are into that.
>>
>>386539128

Literally all of them are real time because someone thought it'd be just fucking great to have a turn based rule set used for real time combat. Fuck Baldurs Gate and fuck RPG codex.
>>
I miss good party based D&D style games.

Especially multiplayer ones, why did the RPG genre have to die and get replaced with jap shit and action-adventure games with RPG elements?
>>
please tell me how to enjoy these. i tried to get into baldurs gate so many times i can pretty much recite the intro but once i get to the combat i quit every time without fail. its so bad it makes me recoil in pain.
>>
>>386538981
Came here for this

Baldur's Gate 1/2
Icewind Dale

If you want more modern, there's Dragon Age: Origins, Pillars of Torment or something, Tyranny.
>>
>>386539902
Because they're D&D games, if you're playing them for combat alone you should go play an action adventure game instead.

Its what I say about why people hated 4th edition D&D, which was pretty much an MMO on paper, people play D&D for the dungeons -and- the dragons, not just the dragons fights.
>>
>>386539826

It never died. You just don't like the new ones because you can't regress to the age of 10 and play them like a child again
>>
>>386539902
Ignore /v/ and ignore BG. I personally never liked it. It's really about creating a cool character and going on adventures. That's the mindset. Customize your people and their interactions in the world, where your skills have an effect.

Maybe if BG is too much too quickly, try something that simplifies it: Kotor 1/2, Dragon Age: origins. And then you can move to maybe Neverwinter Nights or BG2.
>>
>>386540089
No I play the newer ones.

Im just saying there is not a whole lot of them these days, im waiting for Divinity OS 2 to make new custom campaigns with their D&D mode.

I mean considering the direction shitty modern MMOs went in these days (Dungeon blitz) im suprised there aren't more online dungeon crawlers that cut out the MMO fat.
>>
>>386540042
i play dnd 4th edition every week and even there the combat is miles better then baldurs gate but i see your point. maybe ill take >>386540134 s advice and try some babby mode dnd games first
>>
>>386539902
If you dont like dnd then you will hardly enjoy these games.

What you need to understand is that back in the day there was a huge overlap between dnd players and "gamers" (back then that tag didnt exist, we were just called nerds). It was expected for most people that played PC games to also have played dnd before.
>>
>>386540042
I'd argue that the MMO on paper argument doesn't work if the mechanics were the same ones D&D has always had, with the exception of encounters and just overall layout, but it's a tired discussion. Oh, and skill challenges, which blew.

That said, I wish we got a 4e video game. All we got was a great comic.
>>
>>386540467
but i do play dnd, the combat in the video game is still ass. in fact the combat in the tabletop game dnd is also shit but this isnt an excuse nor a fix.
>>
>>386540608
4th Edition isn't really the D&D experience people grew up with, its why 5th edition dropped almost everything 4th edition did.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.