[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Want to play a horror game with fun gameplay mechanics or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 6

File: Layers-of-Fear.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Layers-of-Fear.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>Want to play a horror game with fun gameplay mechanics or good puzzles
>Get walking simulators with collectibles or "HERE'S THE ANSWER, NOW PLUG IT IN MONKEY" puzzles.

What the fuck /v/? Where the hell are my immersive, fun, stimulating, horror games?

I just played and beat Layers of Fear in a goddamn hour.

One hour.

And I found the game fucking -tedious- in that small window of time. By the end of it I didn't even give a fuck what was going around me, I just ran through doors until I found a locked one which forced me to look for a nearby key.

Where are the good horror games at?
>>
>Resident Evil 1-3
>Gregory Horror
>Silent Hill 1-3
That's it. Penumbra sucks.
>>
>walk into room
>stuff starts flying about or the room changes a bit
I stopped after the dozenth time that happened in that game

RE7 is literally the only one i've seen do the FPS horror thing right (recently)
>>
>>386527009
I bought that on release. Yeah...
>>
>>386527139
>Penumbra sucks.

I enjoyed the first one, and actually just beat the second one (made a post about how I'm pretty sure Philip made the right call on trying to get someone to come and kill the Tuurnigate recently).

Third one though I went through two-three rooms before I just couldn't keep going anymore.

I really like the robust feel of the physics in Frictional Games though, which is part of the reason why I thought Layers of Fear would pique my interest.

If you had to recommend a single game out of the selection you gave, which should I try looking at first?
>>
>>386527368
nigger play silent hill if you haven't, 1 then 2 then 3
>>
>>386527249
>I bought that on release. Yeah...

Ouch.

I was lucky to pick it up when it was in free early access, just never properly got around to playing it until now. I have no clue how they justify $20 for an hour long game.
>>
>>386527426
I took my time. But still only took me a few hours.
Then they had the nerve to bring dlc. LOL
>>
>>386527157
>I stopped after the dozenth time that happened in that game

I actually started chuckling at some of the "scares" in the game.

Like doll abuse was pretty fucking common and I found the the increasing insanity of the interior design pretty amusing. Not to mention scenes like the baby room where your character gets stuck with the mechanical music box, the window slamming and the doll beating its head against the crib started creating an actually pretty compelling beat to the backdrop of the tinny song.
>>
>>386527487
>Then they had the nerve to bring dlc. LOL

Yeah, definitely not touching that.

>Make a 1-2 hour long game
>"Alright, this looks like a completed product, but you know what it needs?"
>"DLC."
>>
>>386527425
How well have the games aged, by the way?
>>
>>386527779
depends on your taste really, they're a little clunky but no other horror games come close
>>
File: 6696_front.jpg (69KB, 640x652px) Image search: [Google]
6696_front.jpg
69KB, 640x652px
>>386527368
Resident Evil for the Sony PlayStation, Director's Cut, No Dualshock.
>>
>>386527908
>they're a little clunky but no other horror games come close

Ah well, if they have some good puzzles and a compelling story I'm game.

Thanks /v/irgin, I'll check them out.
>>
>>386527713
Yep. Whats the name of these devs again? Gotta remember to avoid them.
>>
>>386528096
Bloober Team SA.
>>
>>386527990
Silent Hill 1 2 and 3 all have puzzle difficulty and game difficulty options. Also, play on original hardware or emulate. Do NOT touch the HD collection. They fucked it up something fierce.
>>
>>386527982
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kcF7E69C6Q
horrifying
>>
alien isolation is good
>>
>>386527009
>good puzzles
Sounds like SH games are for you. Best puzzles I've seen, honestly.
>>
>>386527009
>horror game
>puzzles
Is that the only way to create compelling horror games? Forcing the player to run around like an idiot checking all the rooms for the next puzzle piece?
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>386527779
>>386527990
>How well have the games aged, by the way?
Brilliantly. They're STILL the very cream of the entire survival horror-genre. Play in release order.

Here's the often posted SH PC Guide + links:

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" is a all-in-one fix, that works as a no-cd crack as well. It is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW fix mentioned in the guide, you can use the sh2proxy's EXE as the no-cd crack!

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

SH2-4 do not support Xinput gamepads. Either use Xpadder, a DirectInput pad, or just play with KB+M.
You can now see some decent emulator settings for SH1 as well in the guide. If the image of the game does NOT fill your entire screen in fullscreen mode, check your plugin AND GPU control panel's image scaling settings!
Also give the new PGXP emulator a shot for a lot less wobbly PS1 graphics.

>Protips
-never play below Normal difficulty.
-replays are VERY recommended!
-turn down in-game Brightness, crank up volume.
-Don't try to kill everything that moves, especially outdoors.
-Turn OFF the flashlight. It helps often!
>>
Fatal Frame is neat, great atmosphere and a nice convoluted mansion to explore. 2 was alright too but too easy and the maps were boring.
>>
File: sh1 giant fan.gif (2MB, 350x269px) Image search: [Google]
sh1 giant fan.gif
2MB, 350x269px
>>386527009
>Where are the good horror games at?
In 1996-2004, mostly on Playstations.

Resident Evil REmake is great too, and now available on PC.
>>
File: classic vs modern RESI games.png (34KB, 1000x500px) Image search: [Google]
classic vs modern RESI games.png
34KB, 1000x500px
>>386527009
>What the fuck /v/? Where the hell are my immersive, fun, stimulating, horror games?
Protip: if the game is in first-person, consists mostly of walking, has no way to defend yourself, and appears to run on scripted set pieces... it's most likely trash.
Check out them Silent Hills and REmake if you somehow haven't yet. Learn to love the tank controls.
>>
>>386532817
Left is RE1, right is every RE after
>>
>>386533217
I don't recall enemies ever spewing out loot in RE2-CV. Not to mention if you're playing the games on "easy", you're doing it wrong.
>>
File: sh3 the bookstore.jpg (182KB, 1024x780px) Image search: [Google]
sh3 the bookstore.jpg
182KB, 1024x780px
>>386531687
These, OP.
Hope you know Shakespeare.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.