[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Story 2 = 3 > 1 > 4 > literal shit > 5 >Writing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 18

File: 81II6I1r5gL._AC_SL1477_.jpg (290KB, 1158x1477px) Image search: [Google]
81II6I1r5gL._AC_SL1477_.jpg
290KB, 1158x1477px
>Story
2 = 3 > 1 > 4 > literal shit > 5

>Writing
1 > 4 > 3 = 2 > literal shit > 5

>Characters
4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > literal shit > 5

>Gameplay
3 = 2 > 4 > 1 > 5

>Boss Fights
4 >>> 2 > 3 > 1 > literal shit > 5

>Music
2 > 3 =1 > 4 > literal shit > 5

(Keep in mind I absolutely love all of these games but 5, which absolutely sucked, and the distinctions are minor. If you would like for me to explain some of these opinions, go ahead)

Give me your list, pals.
>>
File: smug 2.jpg (115KB, 1039x1300px) Image search: [Google]
smug 2.jpg
115KB, 1039x1300px
Expect for music, which I would say 1>2>4>3>who cares I agree
>>
>>386526632
>bossfights
>4

Nice try.

1-3 all have infinitely better boss fights with better gimmicks.
>>
>>386526632
Never played 5, but why the hate?
>>
>>386526632
>4's writing is 2nd best
>4's Boss Fights are Best
>4's Characters are best

Nigga you'd best explain yourself.
>>
>MGS4
>above anything
jesus christ
>>
Mostly agree. Gotta love MGS2's music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvEDSkK3GQU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=613kHZZ-grE
>>
File: 1444728393017.jpg (31KB, 240x388px) Image search: [Google]
1444728393017.jpg
31KB, 240x388px
>Story
3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > PW > 5

>Writing
3 = 2 = 1 > PW > 5 > 4

>Characters
1 > 3 > 2 > PW > 5 > 4

>Gameplay
5 > PW
3 > 4
2 > 1

>Boss fights
3 > 2 > 1 > PW > 4 > 5

>Music
3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > PW > 5
>>
>>386526730
>expect
stupid phone poster
>>
Story:
PO>MGS1>MGS3>MGS2>everything else>>>>>>>PW

Writing
PO>>MGS2>MGS1>MGS3>everything else>>>>>PW

gunplay
MGSV>MGS4>MGS3>MGS2>everything else>>>>>>PW>PO

Stealth
MGSV>MGS3>MGS4>everything else>>>>>>PO>PW

personal favorites:
PO>MGS3>MGS5>MGS2>MGS4>MGS1>PW
>>
>>386526632
why is snake in the boxart in place of Big Boss
>>
>>386526790
It's the least metal gear like game in the series.

Story is massively deemphasized and a huge chunk of it is stuck in audio logs, and it doesn't really fill anything in in between peace walker and mg 1.

Gameplay is staggered stages like peace walker, with heavy repitition and lots of missions that are filler.
>>
File: above average.jpg (109KB, 1000x699px) Image search: [Google]
above average.jpg
109KB, 1000x699px
>>386526898
I dont post on a phone, those touchscreens p[iss me off. Dont ever assume that again you carnivorous nigger slasher.
>>
>>386527030
>>
File: Iroquois.Pliskin.full.1030090.jpg (185KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
Iroquois.Pliskin.full.1030090.jpg
185KB, 700x525px
>Story
2 = 3 > 1 > 4 > PW > V

>Writing
1 > 3 = 2 > PW > 4 > V

>Characters
> 4 > 2 > 1 > 3 > literal shit > V
I agree with this OP ^

>Gameplay
3 = 4 (personally) > V > 2 > 1 = PW

>Boss Fights
1 = 3 > 2 > 3 > 1 > V > PW

>Music
3 > 4 = 2 = 1 > PW = V
>>
>>386526730
4 has a special place in my heart for music just because of the Snake Ocelot fight at the end that plays every boss theme from the entire series in one fight. That is by far my favorite musical piece in the series. But the rest of the music in 4 is pretty meh.

The music in 2, especially the intro, is iconic as fuck and that is what makes it my favorite.

3 has some iconic songs as well, but unlike 4, the rest of the music is generally okay.

1 has good music, and its very atmospheric and fitting, but other than the alert theme, none of it is all that memorable for me compared to the other games.

>>386526790
It's basically not even a Metal Gear Solid game. Everything about it blows major cock, aside from the gameplay which is nothing like a Metal Gear Solid game.

>>386526791
>>386526806
4's writing is amazing because of the way all of these characters, who have changed immensely over the past 10 years since the last game happened, are able to reconnect emotionally with each other in such a realistic way that is paced appropriately. Aside from some of the corny Beauty and the Beast lines, the writing is perfect for the characters in my opinion.

4's boss fights also take all the iconic boss fights from 1, but improve them and push them to their extreme because of the improved technical capabilities of the PS3. The Crying Wolf fight is an extremely better version of Sniper Wolf. Laughing Octopus is a perfect representation of what a boss fight with Decoy Octopus would have been like in 1. All of the boss fights improve on the iconic boss fights from 1 and push them to their extreme.

The argument for 4's characters mostly is explained in the writing as well. You finally get Snake back but not in the way you expect, and this is the same for basically all the returning characters. It keeps them familiar and makes you care about them, but keeps you guessing as to what has changed about them and keeps them going.
>>
>>386527030

I laughed so hard at this.
>>
>>386527129
>>386526891
>>386526632
come on niggers, I know I'm alone in living PO so much but it IS canon. At least rate it for God's sake.
>>
>>386527226
loving*
>>
>>386526632
>Story
1 > 3 > 2 > 4 > V

>Writing
3 > 2 > 1 > 4 > V

>Characters
3 > 1 > 2 > 4 > V

>Gameplay
4 > 3 > V > 2 > 1

>Boss Fights
3 > 1 > 2 > 4 > My Asshole > OP's Asshole > V

>Music
3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > V
>>
>>386527226
Gene was cool I guess
>>
>>386526632
>writing
>1
it's a b movie writing at best
and how does story and writing differ?
>>
File: 1501804538207.png (3MB, 1362x10000px) Image search: [Google]
1501804538207.png
3MB, 1362x10000px
Why is OP and everyone else pretending like Peace Walker does not exist? It's as canon as all the other number entries.

>>386527160
>4's writing is amazing
>reconnect emotionally with each other in such a realistic way
>PACED APPROPRIATELY
Oh wait, you're serious. Let me laugh even harder.

Maybe the bosses are better than MGS1. I'll give you that.
>>
>>386526632
>No peace walker
lol
>>
Since you posted the Vita version of MGS HD, anyone know how that version of the collection is?
>>
>>386527460
>>386527435
PW was absolute shit. At least PO had a good plot and likable characters
>>
>>386527481
It's great.

Runs really well, looks much better than the ps2 games.

Only issue is the lack of l2/r2 and no pressure sensitive buttons, but the touch item swapping actually works super well.
>>
>>386527481
not 60fps iirc
load times suck
touchscreen to change item/weapon
xbox holdup

MGS2 AND 3 ON THE GO IT'S A MIRACLE
>>
>>386526632
I can agree for the most part
but I don't think you can really compare 1-4 altogether for gameplay, it should be just 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4
and for that, I would say 2>1 and 4>3

I don't really have a strong opinion about the boss fights, I think 1-4 were all pretty good, then there's literal shit, followed by V
>>
5's gameplay blows everything else out of the water what in the fuck are you on?
>>
>>386526790
Basically: looooooads of filler, shit unfinished story, bland environments, lack of real boss fights
>>
>>386526632
>>Boss Fights
>4
Absolute shit taste desu
>>
>Story
3=2>1>4=PO>Peace Walker>5

>Writing
Same order as above.

>Characters
2>3>4>1>PO>PW>5

>Gameplay
5>4>2>3>PW>1>PO

>Boss Fights
3>2>4>1>PO>PW>5

>Music
>2=3>4>1>PW (though heavens divide is god tier)>PO>5
>>
>>386527660
2 and 3 are extremely comparable.

I think even a strong case can be made that 3's gameplay is just an overcomplication of 2's gameplay.

Agree that everything after 3 shouldn't be related to them, though.
>>
>>386527543
So? We're still counting MGS4
>>
>>386527396
At least to me, story concerns the things that actually happen. Like the literal events. Whereas the writing is the way they are presented from the point of view of the characters via dialogue.

>>386527349
>>386527435
I'm curious as to why everyone dislikes the writing in 4 so much. I think it's very engaging and interesting and almost nostalgic to see characters split apart by 10 years be able to reconnect with each other in a way that is so natural and fluid. The interactions between Snake and Meryl, or Snake and Naomi, or Snake and Ocelot feel extremely appropriate and natural given how the characters, while still being the same people, have changed immensely but still are able to "get" each other as if nothing has changed.

Sure, a lot of the dialogue of the bosses is very corny and edgy, but there isn't very much of that at all and I don't think it's enough to discredit the greatness of what they did with the interactions between the main characters of the game.

>>386527660
Personally for me, 4 was a little bit to action based for me which made me put it a bit lower on the list, and I probably should have put 2 = 3 because I think I do like 2 more because 2 took the good things about 1, distilled them, and separated them from the shit parts about 1. 3 had a lot of things I considered tedious and the backtracking in that game was insane compared to all the other games.

Now that I think about it my gameplay rating would probably be 2 > 3 > 4 > 1 > 5

>>386527782
See >>386527160 for my explanation on why 4 has the best boss fights.

>>386527674
Copy pasted filler missions, tedious shit like recruitment that you are literally forced to do to complete some story missions, loads of boring bland empty copy pasted word you have to run around through on horseback

Yeah man really fun and amazing and epic!!
>>
>>386527814
I never played portable ops, was it good? Or should I just look up all the cutscenes and story shit
What preceeds it and suceeds it in terms of timeline?
>>
>>386527620
Not 60fps all the time, but mostly. Some areas drop to 30, like they did on the ps2.
>>
>>386527814
>>Characters
>2
Way too many meh characters like Rose, Fatman, E.E., Fortune and Peter. Solidus and Colonel's AI are 11/10 though.
>>
>>386527674
It's another "I'm really fucking asshurt my movie game decided to focus on gameplay for once" thread. Just ignore the plebs, they'll move on to another VN soon.
>>
>Story
3 > 2 > 1 > V > PW >>> 4

>Writing
2 > 1 > 3 >>> PW > 4 > V

>Characters
3 > 1 >>> 2 > 4 > V > PW

>Gameplay
V >>> 3 > 4 > 2 > PW > 1

>Boss Fights
2 > 3 > 1 > 4 >>> V > PW

>Music
2 > V > 3 > 1 > 4 > PW
>>
>>386526785
This.

Jesus christ OP what are you smoking? Boss fights in 2 were shit.
>>
>>386527958
It's worth a playthrough, but it is clunky because it was built for psp controls before it was refined into peacewalker.

Now you can play it on an emulator, or a vita I guess, with a second stick mapped to the face buttons so you can force two stick control, and it's better.
>>
>>386527931
>At least to me, story concerns the things that actually happen. Like the literal events. Whereas the writing is the way they are presented from the point of view of the characters via dialogue.
as far as story goes 1 and 3 are most cohesive
writing is for 2
>>
>>386527674
>>386528037

5 has good control, but shit level design/mission design so it goes to waste.

Not to mention cqc isn't as good as 3.
>>
>>386528029
Fortune and fatman were neat, and it had GREAT ocelot, but looking back I think I meant to put 3 first but fucked up.
>>
>>386528037
I guess it's too much to ask that we get both good gameplay and good everything else.

Every other aspect of the games was a huge step backwards for the series.
>>
>>386527931
I can agree with 4 being a little too action based, it could've used more quiet sneaking sections
I just love it so much because of all the different little details in the gameplay, I'm a little too lazy to list some of my favorite stuff but I just felt like a little kid finding out all the cool shit you could do
>>
>>386527931
>I'm curious as to why everyone dislikes the writing in 4 so much.
You could give the wall of text I posted a go. If you must, begin with the paragraph that starts with,
>"To be blunt; our ability to enjoy (or at least not be repulsed by) Metal Gear Solid 4's characters is shot in the head due to how fucking easy we find it to fry a fucking egg in the real world." Scroll about 2/3rds way down to find it.
>>
>>386526730
Nah, 2>1 in music. Jazzy groovey sneaky music, spooky arsenal music, boss fight music. 1 was good but wasn't very memorable
>>
whats the point of metal gears anyways? In the grand scheme of things, all tthey exist for is to be blown up.
>>
>>386528452
'missing link' between man and infantry

-granin
>>
>>386528367
iirc there's stealth options through every non boss/scripted action sequence in 4.
>>
4 is the best game in the series.
>>
>>386528452
And launching nukes. That was their main draw. Except Rays
>>
>>386528037
>focus on gameplay

The """"""gameplay"""""" is 99% copy pasted filler mission crap in a 90% copy pasted environment. It's absolute garbage. The character controls well and moves around well himself, but the design of literally every other aspect of the gameplay is the worst shit in the series by far. You're just retarded.

>>386528053
Again, read my post here >>386527160 about why 4 has the best boss fights. I think 2 has the second best boss fights because I personally really enjoyed the Solidus and Vamp and MG Ray boss fights.

>>386528029
Rose is by far the worst character in the series but Raiden in 2 was very complex and interesting and a nice contrast from Snake in the Tanker mission. Fatman and Fortune were also very well written and emotionally/motivationally complex characters, and the Colonel/his AI was the best part of the game.

The defining thing about 2 that makes it my favorite game overall is the fact that you never know if what you are being told by anyone or if any of your orders are 100% true or if it's all a simulation or if you are becoming shell shocked from all the trauma Raiden experiences. It's a very good example of open ended story telling.

>>386528395
Not seeing that paragraph anywhere, you might need to repost it.

>>386528508
Yes but those areas weren't designed for that, making the stealth approach much less satisfying or intuitive.

>>386528452
Basically just a mobile mega infantry unit with the capability of launching nukes.
>>
>>386528093
> with a second stick mapped to the face buttons so you can force two stick control, and it's better.

hehe, thats what i do. amazing
>>
>>386528093
my vita's right stick broke so I guess I'll try to emulate it
they really should've included this shit on the HD or legacy collection
>>
>>386528603
But... they were designed for that.

They were open ended so that you had options to do stealth or combat, the same as literally every other metal gear.

The only people who don't think stealth was viable or accounted for in mgs4 are people who were either bad at it or didn't explore/experiment enough.
>>
>>386528809
Kojima for some reason kinda disowned portable ops.

Which I think is dumb as hell.
>>
>>386528814
> didn't explore/experiment enough
You shouldn't have to explore or experiment to experience the stealth approach to the missions though.

You can't make the statement that "Yes they were in fact designed to cater to both gameplay styles" and then later say "well you just had to look really hard to find the other way to play it"

MGS4 had an overwhelming amount of sections of unavoidable Call of Duty tier action sequences, more than any of the other games combined.

The idea that the other Metal Gears Solids were designed to allow you to play combat or stealth is absolutely the most retarded thing I have ever heard. In all of the games if you decide to play like you're Rambo, you will face unlimited waves of spawned enemies that will chase you from area to area and the only way to ever escape, is with stealth. You know, the way the game was intended to be played.

In every single of the first three games, at the very start of the game right before you take control of your character, you are explicitly told "This is a stealth mission, do not let anyone know of your presence at all costs." These games were in no way designed to be played in a guns blazing style and don't even allow you to in 99% of cases aside from the scripted ones.
>>
>>386527160
You're easily impressed by ideas on paper over actual execution.
>he Crying Wolf fight is an extremely better version of Sniper Wolf
MGS 1 has very weak boss fights so giving them generic 3rd person controls doesn't make them the best in the series, Crying Wolf is nothing to write home about compared to 2 and 3's boss fights even if she's the least lame of the BBs.
All of the BB units are defeated by just shooting them with little to no thought involved unlike 2 and 3 in where you need to tackle them in different ways (compare Vamp to Fatman or The Fear with the pain)
Laughing Octopus is cool on paper but the tricks she uses are so fucking obvious almost no one will fall for them(also you can just use the solid eye, which is a solution so obvious it doesn't count as the critical thinking you can use the defeat previous bosses with more ease like shooting lights vs vamp). When you remove this weak gimmick from Octopus' boss fight you have a run of the mill tps bullet sponge, at least if you use googles vs the Fear he had a stage in which finding cover from his attacks was harder, his movement way more agile and the place was full of traps you had to watch out for, with octopus you just hunt her from corners and then go back behind another corner.

Raging Raven, Mantis(after using the syringe) and Vamp(his boss fight in 2 was a masterpiece compared to this garbage) are all beaten by just shooting at them like crazy(mgs 1 mantis lead to a very different boss fight to any other in the game after changing controller ports), and the most important part, don't have any tactic that rewards critical thinking which is what made some boss fights in 2 and 3 so amazing. You can throw smoke to scare bees, poison the fear with food, shoot out the water pipes vs the fury to quench flames and so on. MGS 4 boss fights are garbage.
>>
>>386528868
Maybe it has something to do with him not really being involved in working on it
>>
>>386528147
>Fortune
>Bawww my misery
>repeat this every cutscene she's in
Nigga please she was garbage
>>
>>386529302
u would make her ur slave and have her call u massa tho
>>
>>386529107
>You shouldn't have to explore or experiment to experience the stealth approach to the missions though.

You had to explore and experiment in literally every metal gear game to discover all your options.

You act like this is unique to 4, but it just makes you look like you haven't played any of these.

>MGS4 had an overwhelming amount of sections of unavoidable Call of Duty tier action sequences

The frogs fight, the bike chase, and boss fights.

Wow, an overwhelming amount.
>>
>>386528603
>Fatman and Fortune were also very well written and emotionally/motivationally complex characters
Fatman was just a delusional maniac, his only saving grace was how absurd he was(which is more so dumb its hilarious instead of a genuine interesting character) and that he was a secret agent of the patriots all along. He has way too much screen time for something so uninteresting unlike other simplistic bosses that don't overstay their welcome.
And Fortune was always whining over how tragic she was, how much she hated Snake and suicidal bs, there was nothing complex or intriguing about her.
>>
>>386529610
>The frogs fight, the bike chase, and boss fights.
Not that anon but you're forgetting the chase in act 2 and the vs geckos segments in Shadow Moses . The game was cluttered with shitty setpieces, previous games only save those for the climax.
>>
File: GamingBritShow2.jpg (91KB, 1306x886px) Image search: [Google]
GamingBritShow2.jpg
91KB, 1306x886px
>>386526632
>4 that high for everything
>V that low for everything
Why do you keep spamming these threads Charlie?
>>
>>386529357
Would send her to receive some mental help first desu.
>>
>>386530029
Are you seriously just going to come to every mgs thread "wow u like 4 and didn't like V? ur TGBS" instead of making actual arguments?
I wonder what would happen if I looked up that images filename on an archive site, I really hope you don't do this that much
>>
>>386529214
While I like Fatman as a character, I don't really think he's any less of a bullet sponge because once every two minutes you take 10 seconds to use coolant on a bomb, although I do think it's a cool concept and probably my favorite boss fight in the game.

I think my main point is that gimmicks or little tricks aren't what make boss fights good or interesting. Crying Wolf is like this intense 1v1 hunt where you are constantly trying to find each other as if you are two hunters. I liked that none of the boss fights for the most part had dumb little gimmicks that trivialized the fights.

>>386529610
You never had to explore or experiment in any of the other games to understand you were forced to use stealth. Are you retarded? Not only are you told from the very start and pretty much for the entire game that getting caught is not an option, aside from the shitty set pieces, there is literally no way to play the game guns blazing that doesn't end in death or having to use stealth to get out of it.

There are no aggressive combat options to explore for in any of the other games. Go try to play through 1, 2, or 3, running and gunning your entire way through the entire game and you will not get very far because those games were specifically designed for stealth and heavily focused on that aspect of the gameplay more than anything else.

>>386529668
I liked Fatman because he was a delusional maniac that didn't seem to think anything mattered and presented that aspect of his personality in a humorous way. It was completely different than anything that had come before it and was totally unique. I loved Fatman.

>Fortune was always whining over how tragic she was
Dude the entire series is nothing but whining over how tragic the entire world is. Again, I liked her because she was unique and she didn't have some lust for power or ulterior motive, she just wanted it to be over, which again was something unique at that time.
>>
>>386530029
>>386530096
Okay nvm, this is only your third time doing this
Still pretty pathetic, you should stop now
>>
>>386526632

yes, lets act like anything past the tanker part in 2 is worth a fucking mention in any way. IM still convinced some genius did the tanker part and kojima was like, scrap that shit we need more teenage girl b8 in it oh and have you ehard of this funny tv show supernatural? fuck this game fuck you for listing it above anything but dogshite
>>
>>386526632
>everyone hating on mgsv music
>literally the best music of the 80's
5 is best for the music
>>
>>386530096
This is about all the argument you need for why MGS4 is irredeemable elephant manure.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD3St2PLtp8

But if you insist
>Codec team from MGS3 is the Illuminati
>Naomi is now a world class computer scientist
>Patriots experimenting on Raiden despite having the technology already as seen in 2
>EVA now the surrogate mother for Les Enfant Terribles
>Big Boss, despite being burned alive, was reconstructed from Liquid and Solidus by nano machines
>Vamp's entire schtick was just nano machines
>Dr. Madnar is alive despite being killed on screen in MG2
>Only two chapters of worthwhile gameplay
>Chapter 3 is a walking simulator followed by on an on rails shooting section when chapter 2 ended on one
>Chapter 5 has pretty much no gameplay
>Worst bosses in the entire series
Anyone who thinks 4 is better than V is a victim of Stockholm Syndrome, 4 completely undid all the good that the past three games had going for them and barely had any gameplay. It's a sequel to a game whose surface level plot is not important yet here Kojima is trying to wrap everything up and to no one's surprise it is pure unadulterated shlock.
>>
>>386526632
>vita port
Absolutely disgusting. I'd rather play the 3DS port over it provided I have a CPP.
>>
>>386526632
On board with most of this but why in the fuck do you think 4 has the best bosses
>>
>>386530481

reported for having cp on your 3ds.
>>
File: 1466122688270.gif (4MB, 250x259px) Image search: [Google]
1466122688270.gif
4MB, 250x259px
>>386530370
Well then it's not MGS music is it?
>>
>>386530481
Yeah, why play the port that runs well and looks fine when you can play the one with the worst controls, worst visuals, and a framerate that hovers in the teens often enough that it's on the sex offender registry.
>>
File: liquid.png (614KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
liquid.png
614KB, 1280x720px
>>386530568
Pure vidya kino desu.
>>
File: 81jC4JV6V-L._SL1500_.jpg (178KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
81jC4JV6V-L._SL1500_.jpg
178KB, 1500x1500px
>>386530629
>worst controls
Did you not catch CPP? Because the vita forces you to use the touch screen for items which is cumbersome as fuck due to not having two triggers. As well as not having crouch walk. And the vita's bad sticks in general.
>>
>>386530302
What part of struggling to separate reality from insanity from people using you because of ulterior motives screams teenage girl shit to you? That is the main theme of the game.

I don't think anyone disagrees that Rose is by far the worst part of the game, but Raiden is undeniably a much deeper and more complex character than Snake even if you only consider the fact that he struggles with his identity as a bred soldier while also being a father, and disregard every other complex part of his character.

>>386530419
Nothing even matters in 5 because the gameplay, while on its own in a vacuum is fun and very freeing, the execution of it via the copy pasted boring missions in an empty wasteland where only a handful of actual missions feel like they weren't randomly generated. The characters are absolutely boring as fuck. The writing was borderline cringey. The plot shit with the virus is 100x worse than the nanomachine stuff in 4.

Metal Gear Solid 5 is not even a Metal Gear Solid game and seems more like Kojima tried really really hard to copy a Witcher game as quickly as he could.

>>386530568
See these posts for my opinions on why I enjoy MGS4 boss fights the most. >>386530195
>>386527160
>>
>>386530768
Crouch walk dumbs the game way down, and the game still runs and looks like total ass.

The touch item switching on vita was actually faster than using the shoulder buttons was.

It's the worst version of 3.
>>
>>386530841
>The writing was borderline cringey.
How can you watch that scene with Johnny and Meryl and then proceed to criticize another game for being cringey? Metal Gear games have always been corny with a bit of self awareness but MGS4 is taking itself pretty seriously the whole time and it's all genuinely awful.
>>
>>386530841

I dont think raiden is badly written, i just cant stand that fucker. knowing that ill be bound playing him for the next 20 hours just gives me premonitions of forthcoming brain tumor. ivegrown up playing snake, i always placed snake i cant play girly fapb8 im just too stereotypical but no, raiden is a mary sue his depth comes purely through actions of others, its like that kawaii desu ugu anime girl that happens to trip over the wildest adventures, hes nothing more than that while looking like a BITCH and acting like one too. cant stand that fucker
>>
>>386530979
That was literally one scene that was bad, along with some of the Beauty and Beast writing being a bit edgy.

Compared to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB0SlwIoT6o The entire pacing of the dialogue and barebones at best character progression is awful.

Skullface sounds like he was written by a 15 year old trying to create the edgiest most fedora character possible.

It's a shame you don't get more cringeworthy Skullface lines because 90% of the game is Kaz telling you to go do random filler missions that have nothing to do with the story and impact it in no way and might as well have been randomly generated.
>>
>>386530921
>The touch item switching on vita was actually faster than using the shoulder buttons was.
It's really not. You have to move your thumbs off of the sticks or face buttons which makes it much more awkward and unnatural than simply having your index fingers right there and can to the unequip/equip much faster than your thumbs can.
>>
>>386531172
The game pauses when you open items anyway, it's like just reaching for another button. Reach, slide, release, done. One motion.
>>
>>386531156
>That was literally one scene that was bad
Pretty much every scene in MGS4 is bad which is problematic when it makes up 80% of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA1ELctlon8

Skullface being a bad villain does not invalidate 4's story and writing being fan fiction tier.
>>
>>386530419
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/text/%3Ecodec%20team%20from%20mgs3%20is%20the%20illuminati/
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHA HE'S BEEN DOING THIS FOR ALMOST A YEAR
It's not even pasta he's memorized each of these points and brings them up over and over
There's still more of a compelling story here than MGSV and certainly more quality gameplay
Go through this thread or the last one to learn why :)
Most of this is just you nitpicking retcons, you can do this for V as well
>>
Why is this series so boring? I slogged through MGS1 and MGS2 seems like more of the same. Terrible combat and awful controls.
>>
>>386531141
the whole game is a deconstruction of expectations, raidens character design is a part of that.
>>
>>386526632
I've honestly never seen a shittier opinion in my entire life.
>>
>>386530481
I will never willingly play a metal gear game that thinks 20fps is a good stable framerate again.

It's soooooo chunky.
>>
>>386531380
>MGS2 seems like more of the same
That is literally the point
>>
>>386530195
>I don't really think he's any less of a bullet sponge because once every two minutes you take 10 seconds to use coolant on a bomb
He isn't a bullet sponge since there's a nice degree of decision making on how you attack him(or decide to go for the bombs instead), you can shoot him like crazy to knock him over without too much effort or place a careful shot on his roller skates to make him trip in 1 shot but it requires careful and quick aiming.
With most of 4 bosses just puking bullets is already one of the most effective methods to deal damage and most of their attack patterns are hitscan that just require you to hide behind a wall, unlike the wildly different attacks of the bosses in 2 and 3, also they barely change their attack patterns or how aggressive they are in higher difficulties which was one of the best parts of battling the bosses in 2 and 3(albeit to a lesser degree but 3 has more ways to tackle them and rewards stealth approaches so they still hold up). The main issue with the boss fights in 4 is how samey they are despite the crazy ideas behind the bosses' designs, something that previous games did way better.
>I liked that none of the boss fights for the most part had dumb little gimmicks that trivialized the fights.
Those "dumb gimmicks" can be used to ease challenge(a good thing since not everyone's expecting an actiony boss fight in a stealth game) ignored to experience the proper challenge or give you different options and strategies against the boss, but most importantly every boss fight was wildly different unlike most in 4. Wolf was the best of the BB's but still had cheap ways to cheese it that don't require too much thinking like hiding below the truck, Snake's arsenal and camo are more op than ever so the cat and mouse element is castrated since the lie down-2-win camo + infinite array of silencers and powerful weapons with infinite ammo(fuck drebin) let you just snipe every soldier with ease while remaining well hidden.
>>
>>386526891
>gameplay
>PW that high
>>
>>386531380
3 and 4 are different and 4 has much better controls
if you really can't stand it though idk why you would keep putting yourself through it though
>>
File: g9ke6Pi.jpg (25KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
g9ke6Pi.jpg
25KB, 500x375px
>>386531524
>'If I pretend like Peace Walker is bad I'll fit in right!'
>>
>>386527931
Why don't you write a book, compadre?
>>
>>386531412
>the point of the sequel is to be derivative
Wow. Amazing. What a genius Kojima is.
>>
how the fuck you gonna say 4 has the best boss fights

>laughing octopus

find her with solid eye and then shoot her a lot

>raging raven

shoot her a lot

>crying wolf

probably the only decent boss because you actually use stealth, and have to constantly dynamically adjust your position relative to both the boss and the frogs

>screaming mantis

inject yourself then shoot her a lot

>vamp

shoot him a lot then inject him

>ocelot

not really a boss fight and more of an interactive story segment, great music and callbacks to old games but gameplay-wise kinda finnicky and awkward
>>
>>386531618
You have to be 18+ to post here.
>>
>>386531618
Did you beat 2?

There's a very key story element here as to why the similarities exist.
>>
>>386531589
I thought it might get better.

>>386531664
Not an argument.
>>
>>386531387
>its intended to be shit

I could tell. He met the second badly written fucker only 5 minutes in, vamp. Tanker is where the game endet
>>
>>386527460
Peace walker was fuckin shite m8. For people that don't actually want to play a metal gear game.
>>
>>386527884
Miles ahead of PW by virtue of being an actual metal gear game
>>
>>386531141
Did you just miss his entire struggle with determining his sanity or his relationship to his authority figures or the fact that as the game goes on he progressively questions everything he is told?

This is the exact opposite kind of character that Snake is where Snake and his entire team are straight shooter good guys. Kojima has said himself that MGS2 was literally intended to be a breakaway from expectations of the game generated by fans of MGS1. It did that perfectly while also delivering on the main theme of the game being the passing of information from one generation to the next.

>>386531324
What exactly is wrong with this writing? It is emotionally and tonally coherent with the situation in the context of the lead up to that situation and the context of the previous games. It also furthers the idea that MGS4 was meant to be a game of closure because Kojima was basically at his breaking point with the series at this point.

>>386531508
How is figuring out you can hide under a truck to avoid a boss or using a doll to have the frogs assist you more cheesy or stupid that the trick with the smoke grenades with the bee in the fight with The Pain or the fact that you can literally just use heat vision and bullet sponge The End. Or that you have 15 minutes to shoot water pipes to stop the flames against The Fury before he does anything?
>>
>>386531626
>>ocelot
>not really a boss fight and more of an interactive story segment, great music and callbacks to old games but gameplay-wise kinda finnicky and awkward
Raiden vs Solidus was way better as a 1 on 1 duel gameplay-wise in my opinion.
>>
>>386531906
We were never going to get some grandiose battle like that for snake vs ocelot. It was two men in their 70's (or advanced clone aging equivalent) fistfighting after one got microwaved and another was actively dying.

The fight was all about the emotion, and that was okay.
>>
>>386531626
>Sahelanthropus
shoot it a lot

>MGS1 liquid
not really a boss fight and more of an interactive story segment, great music but gameplay-wise kinda finnicky and awkward

>Fatman
freeze bombs and shoot him a lot

>MGS1 mantis
change controller port and shoot him a lot

See? I can do it too
Did you seriously write this shit and think "haha I have btfo all mgs4 boss fights"? These aren't actual arguments, you can do this for like any boss fight in the series
>>
>>386526632

sorry,bro.

but MGS5 has the best gameplay.
>>
>>386531891
It's a contrivance that only exists to force some sort of emotion out of the player, Otacon and Naomi had no contact before MGS4 and are now all of a sudden romantically linked after a few days? I don't think so, it's literally just an excuse to have Otacon cry his ass off again as if we didn't get enough of that with Sniper Wolf and Emma's deaths.
>>
>>386531720
I think you would like 4 a lot if you didn't like the gameplay so far
>>
I wish they'd find a way to port all the other games to PC. I'd buy all of them in a second.
>>
File: image.png (604KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
604KB, 1136x640px
>>386531609
>if i pretend that this handheld game where i cannot crawl, the bossess are boring mechs with bloated health bars and i get to imagine running a fantasy base with HR resource style gameplay, i will fit in with the autists on /v/ who mistake "shit nobody actually enjoys" with "casual filters"

It's no meme anon, PW is a shockingly dull MGS game and Kojima admitted he didn't even want to make it an MGS game. Sorry, looking at numbers and graphs and pretending im building an army with stats is some neck beard autist level of fantasy gaming. Tragic and boring.
>>
>>386532142
emulate if you're okay with it being stretched
a ps3 and legacy collection would be cheap tho
>>
>>386526790
metal gear fangays know more about a Kojima game than Kojima knows himself
>>
>>386528603
what? it's right there >>386527435
>>
>>386532069
>It's a contrivance that only exists to force some sort of emotion out of the player,
>What is all fiction.jpg
> Otacon and Naomi had no contact before MGS4 and are now all of a sudden romantically linked after a few days?
She manipulated him. They made this expressly blatant.
>>
>>386531695
No, I haven't beat it. I'm about 7 hours in.
>>
>>386532157
>Implying PW isn't a casual filter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QedZhKPrlAM
>>
>>386532408
You should probably make an effort to finish a story before bitching about how the story is or isn't something.

Hell, by now you should have already seen the beginnings of the deconstruction.
>>
>>386532069
The entire (blantantly so, even) arc between Otacon and Naomi was that she manipulated him into basically falling in love with her.

It's like you skipped all the cutscenes or something.
>>
>>386527226
I liked PO more than PW and V combined.
>>
Has anyone seen the digital graphic novels? What are those like?
>>
File: pcsx2 2017-08-07 23-43-13-63.jpg (82KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pcsx2 2017-08-07 23-43-13-63.jpg
82KB, 1920x1080px
>>386532142
I've emulated the games so much it wouldn't even phase me if they got ported.

Though I'd play 4 again.
>>
>>386532629
man you guys are making it sound pretty good, I definitely want to give it a chance now
really wish they had a proper port of it to consoles though
>>
>>386532442
>flash game tier quality QTE

Truly pathetic
>>
File: dOtbSVC.png (132KB, 1262x206px) Image search: [Google]
dOtbSVC.png
132KB, 1262x206px
>>386532754
>play
>>
>>386531891
>How is figuring out you can hide under a truck to avoid a boss
You barely figure it out, the truck is just right there almost begging you to hide there.
>or using a doll to have the frogs assist you more cheesy or stupid that the trick with the smoke grenades with the bee
The doll is pretty much just there to end the boss fight, throwing smoke grenades let's you handle the boss differently if you don't have a shotgun or ammo for it, it also makes sense in real life(rewarding critical thinking) since smoke scares bees irl. Also, this is about gameplay options for the player, not about how "cheesy or stupid" this is.
>you can literally just use heat vision and bullet sponge The End
He's going to hit you easily if you don't hide well even with those equipped, the jungle is dense enough to make him kinda hard to spot even with those on so it's not like the boss fight gets ruined by using googles.
>Or that you have 15 minutes to shoot water pipes to stop the flames against The Fury before he does anything?
You can quench flames covering important areas quickly if you're in a bad spot, pretty quicly if you use an assault rifle too.
>>386531998
It succeeds in that department but its still quite uninteresting gameplay wise.
>>
>>386532545
I'm just past Fatman. I didn't bitch about the story being the same, I bitched about the gameplay.
>>
>>386532771
It's alright. Emulate it, there's a 60fps code.
>>
>>386532831
Woah anon, guess we never need play any game again because they are all edited down into movies on youtube! I aure LOVE videogames! Cannot wait to "play" ARMA III" on my tablet! It's the same!
>>
>>386532923
I mean, you're wrong there, too. MGS2 had a lot of gameplay improvements vs 1 that should be obvertly obvious.

The similarities are still also deeply tied to the story that you are like, 1/3 through.
>>
>>386532442
I kinda wanna go finish PW now
also
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ClqraARqMg0
>he's laughing in the jap version
>>
>>386531524
I'm comparing PW and 5, not putting them above the others. They're kind of way too different to categorise them together.

But I did enjoy the co-op, it was very stupid.
>>
>>386533335
fuckin cardboard tank
>>
If you seriously believe 4 has a better story than V you might be legally retarded.

V has its fair share of dumb shit like the parasite plot but at least it tackles some interesting subjects like the hypocrisy of being a "heroic war dog" and our disturbing obsession with villains being likeable in a fucked up way.

4 has fucking nothing unless you deliberately view it as some kind of meta jab at idiots who wanted a direct sequel to MGS2, and even then that's still a deliberately shit game.
>>
>>386532027
>freeze bombs and shoot him a lot
That's way more involved than the boss fights in 4, last time I checked you didn't have a timer or look for the hidden places when injecting vamp in 4 or using a syringe against screaming mantis.
>change controller port and shoot him a lot
You can't just shoot him like crazy due to how his attack pattern works. He has invincibility frames during some attacks so you have to avoid his attacks first before shooting back.
It's funny how you have to pick boss fights from different games while with 4 you can just add almost every single one and add it to the "shoot to win" list.
>>
File: image.jpg (21KB, 289x280px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
21KB, 289x280px
MGS2 is post modern masterpiece and should be in a museum.

Everything else is mindless trash, especially MGS3 and MGS5.
>>
>>386530419
>>Patriots experimenting on Raiden despite having the technology already as seen in 2
Pretty sure cyborg ninjas in 1/2 were only exoskeletons
>>
>>386532442
All MGS Torture QTEs were fun.
This was not. at all.
>>
File: TPPSkull5.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
TPPSkull5.webm
2MB, 640x360px
MOVE ASIDE PLEBEIANS

>Story
1 > V > 3 > 2 > PW > 4

>Writing
V = 2 > 1 > 3 > PW > 4

>Characters
3 > 1 > PW > 2> 4 > V

>Gameplay
V > 3 > 4 > 2 > PW > 1

Boss Fights
3 > 1 > 4 > 2 > V > PW

Music
3 > 1 > 2 > V >4 >PW
>>
>>386534464
MGS 2 belongs to the trashcan of a museum maybe.
>>
File: such lust.jpg (30KB, 288x432px) Image search: [Google]
such lust.jpg
30KB, 288x432px
I very often get the impression that the people butthurt about Meryl and Johnny had Meryl as their vidya waifu, which they find a lot of sentimental value in because of the nostalgia for MGS1.
Basically they feel cucked because Snake(the player) doesn't get to be with the girl despite it making sense in a story context, and in turn they spout 'muh joke character' at a fairly harmless romantic subplot.

Am I on to something?
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.