[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>hurr people who use fast travel are casuals XD This is so

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 2

File: Oblivion 4 - The Elder Scrolls.jpg (51KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Oblivion 4 - The Elder Scrolls.jpg
51KB, 640x360px
>hurr people who use fast travel are casuals XD

This is so retarded.

So right now I'm working on the Thieves Guild quest in which you get Heironymous Lex assigned to Anvil so he won't be a threat to the guild.

You get the quest in Bravil. Then you have to go to Anvil to steal the recommendation letter and forge a new one. Then you go to the Imperial City to steal the Imperial Guard's Seal. Then you go back to Anvil to deliver the letter to the Countess. Then you go back to the Imperial city in order to give Lex the letter yourself.

Do you see that? You have to travel between cities back and fourth four goddamn times. What kind of joyless loser would make that trip that many times (not a short trip either) based on some misguided belief that being willing to walk more makes them hardcore? How stupid can you get.
>>
>>386491374
The quests shouldn't make you back track so much then.
>>
>>386491374
I used fast travel myself, but I can definitely see the appeal in avoiding it to improve immersion. Buy a horse?
>>
>>386491532
It's almost like they intended you to use the fast travel.
>>
>>386491374
>XD
fuck off
>>
>>386491532
This, if the game wasn't designed around fast travel which is it obviously is you wouldn't need to do that kind of traveling but this is Bethesda they would make you do it anyway.
>>
>>386491374

Not that I agree with the whole fast travel is always bad, but there is a reason for the argument.

First, it makes a quest actually feel like a quest. Whenever I fast travel too much I end up feeling like the quests in games are more chores than adventures.

And second, the adventure part. You miss out on a lot of things by fast traveling. Now this only applies if the devs took the time to put cool stuff in the whole world as opposed to mindless caves and city hubs. But it's one of the best parts of open world games to stumble onto a cool new quest or unique location without actually aiming for it.
>>
>>386491374
Quests should be more designed around the locality and temporality of the world.

It should really only make you do stuff between cities that's incredibly important, leading to narrative decisions like where you want to invest your time traveling next rather than just teleporting around.

Upon entering a town you should resolve your existing business, then explore town, pick up on plots and engage with or deal with them, finding larger ones that give you suggestions of where to go next.
You should feel like you've engaged with all levels of a town you want before you leave.

If you're forced to return, there should be some sense of temporal weight to the choices you made in the town before.
The narratives you engaged should have progressed or developed.

That's a real fuckin adventure.
Teleporting around is gay.
>>
>>386491374
Do multiple quests at a time or gradually do that quest over a few hours of gameplay? I'd just fast travel myself, especially if it was directions previously visited.
>>
>>386491374
The problem is the game design. It's designed around casual fast travel. Good games with good quest design make it to that you should never fast travel during a quest
>>
>>386491532
>>386491874
Clearly you are too retarded to remember Morrowind. There was no fast travel and walking everywhere took fucking forever. If you manage to find a bunch of tiny rocks that are extremely difficult to find, you get some wind waker tier warping.

Fuck man. Half the time I used the boots of blinding speed only to find I had accidently passed the crooked tree with a red dot on its bottom left root and had to start all over because I was now lost.

Life before fast travel was fucking awful and the fags who defend it should fuck off or kill themselves. Either one works.
>>
The games of The Elder Scrolls series can be played just fine by fast traveling, but don't think for a second that you aren't missing out on most of the game. There's nothing wrong with fast traveling once you have thoroughly explored the areas. When starting out the game, use the quests as excuses to wander off the beaten path to see what you can find. The Elder Scrolls games are really fun for the gamer who enjoys free exploring because there is so much variety to be found for the curious gamer.
>>
>>386492469
Morrowind has fast travel though.

It just does it in a superior and marginally more atmospheric fashion of paying for commercial transport.
>>
Skyrim was better anyways.
>>
>>386491374
I installed a modpack a few years ago that completely disables fast travel, and I have yet to find the source.

I kinda just got used to walking everywhere. I'm completing the game at a snail's pace, but I really do enjoy all of the travelling thanks to the OST and night sky visuals
>>
Use fast travel all you want, I just prefer making the trip myself. Discovering locations, seeing NPCs' shenanigans (on PC with the travelers mod, of course), getting sidetracked into some other quest or collectible, finding new gear along the way, etc. Way more fun than just going through a bunch of menus and loading screens.
>>
>>386492469
>was fucking awful
Maybe for you disgusting milenial.
>>
>>386492889
Do NOT reply to me
>>
>>386492469
git gud
>>
>>386492958
Shut the fuck up Pete.
>>
>>386491374
>Do you see that? You have to travel between cities back and fourth four goddamn times.
The game was designed for fast travel, dummy.
>>
When it comes to fast travel its obviously a useful tool but its a double edged sword. I rather the game give me the option of turning it off before I start if I so choose, as part of a "hardcore" mode or something.

Reasons I would want fast travel off are pretty simple but they have to come with some caveats like..

>interesting open world where you can encounter many things when traveling from point A to B
>ingame fast travel options to bring you between certain cities, fast travel isnt always bad and things like Airships in FFXI made traveling feel real and immersive
>needing money to fast travel, like the previous point, adds more challenge and management to the game
>horses or other forms of quicker non fast travel, which can open up many more possibilities with better variants of these things, more to do and build towards
>In game items which let you fast travel that either cost money/skill to create and have limited charges

TES has/had several if not basically all of these things at some point in time in their games. I really enjoy that because while I'm not forced to walk on foot all the time, I am some of the time which can lead to fun game experiences if your games world is interesting and sporadic.

Fast travel is best done in these ways that bring it into the game world through immersive means and make it make sense.
>>
>>386492741

Damn I was just thinking I would love some sort of mod like this that permanently disabled it from the start and didn't let me turn it back on forcing me to utilize the games worlds options of traveling more/walking.
>>
>>386491374
It has nothing to do with being casual. The reason that people detest fast travel is because it encouraged sloppy design that you just experienced. Without fast travel, that kind of gameplay would be condensed into a much smaller area, or would have other requirements that would keep you in those other places for far longer then to just go to them on a fetch quest. But because they could count on your travel back and forth from those places wouldn't take more then a second, they could send you to a far off place with the quest as an excuse. It's the same trick that MMOs use to theme park you, rather then rely on any actual narrative structure and personal motivation for visiting places.
>>
>>386491374
>not increasing your speed through enchantments
>>
>>386492469
>being blinded by the boots of blinding speed

EKSDEE
>>
>>386492469
honestly morrowind has way better fast travel options. You have silt striders for the major areas and boats for coastal towns. Then if that's not enough you can just teleport everywhere. It's nice being able to just poof out of a dungeon instead of having to run all the way out.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.