[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of getting Morrowind, I've played it before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0312.jpg (137KB, 800x530px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0312.jpg
137KB, 800x530px
I'm thinking of getting Morrowind, I've played it before on Xbox but I want to start modding it. Any tips? What are some essential mods? The nexus seems empty
>>
MGE XE, Morrowind Code Patch and the official plug-ins are the only thing you need.
>>
>>386481505
I want stuff that will make it more realistic (not just graphics) to role play in.
>>
>>386481328
Morrowind Sound and Graphics Overhaul (MSGO) is what you'll want to start with, it's the top file on Morrowind Nexus
it's a really comprehensive package to give you things like the Script Extender, the Code Patch, the Graphics Extender, and it even edits the .exe file to work with all of those natively (so you can just hit Play on Steam and it works)

From there, install literally whatever you want and enable/disable the .esm file from the launcher. If you want more realistic stuff, you're still limited to the DnD-esque engine, since all actions are dice rolls no matter what. Since the MSGO installs several mods at once, you'll probably need to fuck around with Load Order if you crash with more mods.

When in doubt, backup your saves and do a fresh install.
>>
>>386481579
Then play a different game retard. Morrowind's greatest charm is its high fantasy and very alien aesthetic

>>386481705
>MGSO
disregard this post
>>
>>386481801
>disregard this post
why? I installed it a few weeks ago and have had literally zero problems
>>
>>386481705
I don't mind the combat system, I like it better than skyrim I mean more role playing. Like let's say it's essential to sleep and eat you know?
>>
>>386481579
True Lights and Darkness.
There's Neccesities of Morrowind, which makes you need to eat, sleep, and drink, and modifies towns to accommodate this, but I've never used it.
>>
>>386482003
Sounds good, any websites? Like I said nexus seems empty I remember planet elder scrolls had a lot but that doesn't seem to work anymore
>>
>>386482130
http://mw.modhistory.com/download-53-12114
This site tries to archive a lot of the old mods, since planet went down.
>>
>>386481854
Breaks tons of mods, especially new ones since MGSO is no longer being updated and many actual modders avoid making patches for it. If you DESPERATELY need "muh grafix" you're better off getting specific replacers yourself.

>Morrowind Code Patch
>MGE XE
>Unofficial Patch Project
That's all you NEED to play the game perfectly fine. Play a run like that first, before doing ANY additional modding. When you are a bit more familiar with the game, then you can start altering shit. And once you get to that point there are fucking thousands of great mods for Morrowind, and it still has an active modding scene that is currently better than ever. But I'll say again, play lightly patched vanilla first, you won't regret it.
>>
>>386482740
don't try and tell me how to mod a game I've been playing for 10+ years
I recently bought it on Steam and installed (by far) the easiest complete mod package for Morrowind, MSGO

Also, fuck you I like Better Bodies and Better Faces
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (217KB, 1980x1020px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
217KB, 1980x1020px
Woah... so this is the legendary Morrowind.
>>
>>386482130
Everything is on Nexus, Fliggerty, modhistory, or on a metric shitload of spaced out posts all over various forums and websites.
Like for real it gets hard to keep track of all this shit, various fixes and patches for certain mods, compatibility patches for obscure ass things that you'll have to get really get at googlefu to find. All kinds of things. But that should all be saved for after your play a fair bit of vanilla first.

And for your request of "realism mods" you do have options, but I will say they do more harm than good for the most part. Things like Necessities of Morrowind I found were way too intrusive and did nothing but add tedium, it's not like the Skyrim survival mods that have some actual mechanics, it's just "eat/drink/sleep" on a scheduled timer or suffer consequences if you miss the times

>>386482991
14 years here lad, and if you've been "modding" it for 10 years then you of all people should know MGSO is trash. it is vastly better to just get the code patch and mgexe and do everything yourself
>steam version
something tells me you're just making things up, GOG version is definitive and comes with the construction set. literally zero reason to get the steam version. I have multiple plugin profiles that have like 600+ plugins each and run 100% stable. Also, have you seen that new "Races Redone" thing? I think it was called that at least. It's one of the only comprehensive overhauls I can recommend if you want body and head replacers
>>
OpenMW with multiplayer if you have friends
>>
>>386483889
I've already played vanilla on Xbox that's why I wanna mod it at the start
>>
>>386484415
Then knock yourself out. You can really find most anything you could ever want on those sites I named. Just be sure you do plenty of reading up to know about incompatibilities. And like has been mentioned, install and run Morrowind Code Patch, MGEXE, and Unofficial Patch Project before doing anything else. Run your game to make sure everything's good, then you're free to mod to your heart's content.
Tools that will be VERY useful to you are mlox, wrye mash, bsa register tool, and the exe optimizer. do your reading on how and when to use all of those, and you'll have very minimal issues. have you ever modded a Bethesda game before?
>>
>>386483889
stop listening to this poster OP, his head is so far up his own ass that all advice he gives will be useless to you
>>
>>386481328
morrowind code patch

literally nothing else
>>
Skyrim is better in every single way.

Ignore nostalgia fags and go for Skyrim.
>>
>>386486128
>worst post-morrowind tes

no thanks
>>
>>386485262
Also forgot to mention that when using Morrowind Code Patch, there are very many options for a huge variety of things. some of those options are VITAL for some mods to work, so after you do the initial patch with MCP before installing anything else you may find a mod you want that will say it requires a certain Code Patch option, and for that, you will have to generate a new patch with that option selected that the mod required. not hard to do, but if you don't do it some mods will break the fuck out of your game.
Also forgot to mention that if you bought the Steam version, you'll want to find a copy of the Construction Set or the Morrowind Enchanted Editor, very very very useful for solving small incompatibilities yourself. like for instance I once completely broke my ingame minimap by doing something in Wrye Mash that I shouldn't have, and that is IMPOSSIBLE to fix because the map has some weird tie to the Morrowind exe itself or some shit. Enchanted Editor is what I used to fix it by completely resetting my game's minimap (which sucked since it reset EVERY MAP MARKER, but it's better than no map)

so yes, be careful and READ ALWAYS FUCKING READ THOROUGHLY BEFORE DOING ANYTHING UNTIL YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH HOW THINGS WORK

>>386486070
Are you really this upset that I said to avoid MGSO? For real? I've been nothing but helpful here, and yet you're being a dick because I am trying to steer him away from a fucking massively outdated "overhaul".
>>
>>386486648
>Are you really this upset that I said to avoid MGSO? For real? I've been nothing but helpful here, and yet you're being a dick because I am trying to steer him away from a fucking massively outdated "overhaul".

?

why are you replying to me?
>>
>>386486648
second quote meant for
>>386485853
>>
>>386485262
No I've never modded a game, I never really played on PC
>>
>>386486920
Then you'll have a fair bit on your plate. I suppose before all else just make sure you know how to extract things into your Morrowind directory and data files, those are where pretty much every single thing will go. Not trying to be patronizing or anything, it's just a lot of people can't even get that far.
There are tons of guides and such you can follow to get the gist of things, it's not hard to learn all of this stuff, just takes some repetition and guidance.

Though of course if you simply do not care about modding outside of 1 or 2 things you can ignore most of what I've said in this thread so far since you won't be needing most of it.
>>
>>386481328
>>386486648
Listen to this poster, OP. MGSO really is ugly, outdated, buggy garbage.

This guide: https://pastebin.com/7gF2VLaf
or the STEP Project guide are much better.
>>
File: 1502057031502m.jpg (79KB, 430x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1502057031502m.jpg
79KB, 430x1024px
Question
If I go for high speed and athletics at character creation do I get eventually fucked for it? I always take athletics anyway but I'm more worried about not taking Mage birthsign because to have high speed I'd need to take Steed sign.
>>
>>386481328

Don't listen to these fags just play the game on Xbox with a controller. feels great
>>
>>386487646
No, Morrowind doesn't require any minmax shit like Oblivion can.
Literally do whatever you want, just know the limitations and struggles you'll have if you purposely gimp yourself
ie picking no combat stats at all and trying to be a warrior or something
>>
>>386487646
The only problem with taking athletics or acrobatics as a major or minor skill is that it will inflate your character level just from running around the world. It will only be a bother to you if you're trying to powerlevel your character, which isn't really necessary in Morrowind. A better idea is to leave athletics and acrobatics out of your key skills and pay for training in them when you have the gold to spare.
>>
>>386488174
I'm the one that's been giving all the modding advice, and I agree with this.
There's no Morrowind like vanilla Morrowind.

I bought this damn game when it came out on xbox, and I didn't even own an xbox. Played the shit out of it at my friend's house though. Wasn't until like late 2004 that I was able to get a computer to play it on
>>
>>386481328
Just get the Overhaul m8, ignore all the autism.
>>
>>386488174

No.

Just play it Vanilla on PC with unofficial patches. The Xbox version has horrendous load times and is ugly as fuck.
>>
>>386488480
I've already played through it on my Xbox I said this in my original post
>>
>>386487646
>If I go for high speed and athletics at character creation do I get eventually fucked for it?
Don't do either. Taking Atheletics as a Major or Minor skill makes efficient leveling really hard because you'll always be gaining levels in Atheletics as you run, or simply swim, thus wasting Speed points when you level up. Yes, you'll level up faster, but they'll be empty levels, and there's other Speed skills. Increase Speed is a fairly common effect as well, if you just want to move around quickly.
>not taking Mage birthsign because to have high speed I'd need to take Steed sign.
Mage gives you permanently increased max Magicka, which you can only do via Race or Birthsign bonuses. Like I said above, Fortify Speed on the other hand is very common, and you can even craft permanently-enchanted armor with it.
>>
>>386488540
I didn't notice any problem with loading, took maximum like 15 seconds
>>
>>386488540

OP don't listen to this bourgeoisie fuckboi go pick up a CRT and play it on xbox let that static fuzz warm your soul
>>
>>386487646
While going in blind is great, one of the first thing people that have already played morrrowind do when they start a new character is rush for boots of blinding speed because character movement is extremely slow. You might want to look up how to get them if nothing else.

That would solve all of your worries about movement speed.
>>
>>386488443
I forget, do minor skills contribute to your level or only major ones?
>>
>>386488561
I know lad, I'm just reminiscing. Are you making any progress finding stuff, or what are you trying to do? Even if you don't want to do heavy or much modding at all yet, try to keep in mind some of the things I've said. Will help in the long run, because once you start getting into modding and organizing and testing and resolving issues it's hard to stop. Almost as fun as the game itself.

>>386488535
Calm down friend, we can all discuss things here. I know this is /v/eddit, but we can still have nice threads if we really try to.
>>
>>386489145
Ten levels of major or minor skills equates to a character level. Unassigned skills do not, however they still contribute to the stat level bonuses you get on levelup. Instead of taking athletics as a major or minor, it's better to leave it unassigned and pay for training before resting when you get a character level. That way you can buy 10 athletics levels at a time and always get +5 to your speed on level up without ridiculously inflating your character level.
>>
>>386489290
I haven't even bought the game yet, I ain't spending $20 on it I'm waiting for a sale
>>
>>386490152
Ah. I mean you could just pirate the GOG version if you wanted to play it now and potentially try to familiarize yourself with mods. Unless you're dead set on lining Gaben's pockets or something
>>
>>386490775
I don't know how to do that I'm retarded with computers every time I try my ant virus says there's something, on the bit torrent or whatever
>>
File: you_n'wah_.jpg (39KB, 345x345px) Image search: [Google]
you_n'wah_.jpg
39KB, 345x345px
Morrowind is my favorite game. I played it since its release. I've played through it at least a dozen times and I find new things on every playthrough. I have it installed on this pc. I recommend installing the Morrowind Sound & Graphics Overhaul v3.0. I also recommend installing Galsiah's Character Development Lean. And I highly recommend that you follow this video - https://youtu.be/FVvSiiEbtuQ
>>
>>386483889
>steam version
>something tells me you're just making things up, GOG version is definitive and comes with the construction set. literally zero reason to get the steam version.

Why the fuck would anyone buy the game on a less popular games client? Unless you're a modder, you have no use for the construction set. Mod users will be fine without it.
>>
>>386493489
Construction set is used for fixing all kinds of issues, literally anything pretty much. Not just for mod authors to use. And you could just download it elsewhere, but why not just save the time and get the GOG version, unless like i said above, you really desperately feel the need to give Gaben more money

>less popular
sure, though that's wholly irrelevant for 15 year old single player games. but you're delusional if you think steam is good for old games. almost ALL of them need various fixes and patches because they don't get updates and are left broken on modern systems. whereas GOG doesn't have that problem
>>
>>386494006
>shilling GOG this hard

not that anon but the steam version runs just fine, who the fuck cares
>>
>>386494331
>shilling GOG
I literally told the guy to pirate the GOG version. I don't give a single fuck about your brand loyalty bullshit
Calm the fuck down lol, you can love Gabe all you want, I do not care. I simply told the guy the optimal way to obtain the game, given he said he was computer illiterate I figured I'd help him out.

polite sage since the thread is over anyways
>>
>>386494630
>>386494006
>>386494331
Guys let's stop fighting and just discuss morrowind please
>>
>>386481579
Being completely honest, Necessities of Morrowind is very nice as it adds a lot of stuff and many people take it into account for their mods, but it's still janky. You could get good roleplay without sacrificing much with small mods, like that Backpack one that uses one pauldron slot I think, and any of the tent mods.
That and lights will help. The game is already pretty good in that sense.
>>
Male Dark Elf
Atronach Birthsign

Specialization: Magic
Favored Attributes: Luck, Endurance

Major Skills:
Enchant
Heavy Armor
Spear
Mercantile
Sneak

Minor Skills:
Unarmored
Restoration
Mysticism
Marksman
Short Blade

How did I do? Should I minmax?
>>
>>386491890
>Galsiah
I'veheard good things about it, but it tends to force my character into the skills I use the most, which may sound great until you realize you'd rather not use the shit skills and just train them.
For gameplay I really recommend the BTB mod. It changes many things like birthsigns, alchemy, growth rates etc. and thankfully comes in segments, if you don't like some things (such as completely blocking growth in misc skills, which was done so you don't cheese the fuck out of the game through meta).
One problem is that ingredients have different effects, so you can't follow that alchemy book or online guides, but you can look it up in his documentation if you really care. I didn't have trouble with this because, strangely enough, ingredients and effects were more intuitive than vanilla.
The mod also stops the ridiculous sea of loot you can get with Daedra, without making money hard to come by in earlygame.
>>
>>386496101
Yeah the backpack one sounds neat and the tents, is carry weight something easily changeable without mods? I don't like the idea of my guy carrying a dozen swords out of a dungeon
>>
>>386496319
Merchantile is a meme skill that I'd only take as a minor even in merchant RP characters. Get speechcraft if you want to be the silvertongue gentleman that gets out of trouble. It also affects merchant disposition, by the way.
Otherwise it's solid. You can get away with partial armors for /fa/ and many ways to fight.
mysticism is OP and if you want to be in as many actions as possible you have to take it
>>
>>386496924
There's a Hlaalu quest that, if bugged correctly, gives you -100 encumbrance. Stupidly good for thief characters.
I'd recommend the backpack because it gives you 80 points in feather, but I don't know if there are bigger backpacks. If you really care, you can modify that mod in the construction set so the packs give even more feather. Learning to do this takes a little time but it's very easy: I know nothing about programming and I can do it!
>>
>>386496958
yeah, I just want more gold but speechcraft sounds good in its place

I'm planning on using enchant for basically everything so I probably don't actually need restoration or mysticism.
>>
>>386497191
Mysticism gives you the most versatility, to the point you may feel it's cheating, since you can attack, fast travel and other bullshit. It's useful for enchanting, however, so you can simply not buy the other spells.
The thing with merchantile is that unless you avoid dungeons, collect weapons and have some hardcore economy mod installed, you will get lots of money. Sometimes you'll find no merchant is rich enough to buy your shit so you'll sell them truckloads of cheap stuff that you can then trade for a single dagger.
>>
>>386497561
>it's useful for enchanting, however, so you can simply not buy the other spells

What do you mean?
>>
>>386498023
Soultrap gives you the gems that you use to fuel enchantments
you charm a mob, smash it (with empty gems in the inv) and then use that to enchant
>>
>>386481328
You can totally mod it on the xbox, I shit you not
>>
>>386498319
yeah, but I can just make a enchant that does that instead of relying on spell casting at all. That way I don't have to worry about cast chance or mana cost or proficiency in any particular school of magic.

The idea is initially use alchemy to boost intelligent enough to consistently make a couple enchantments that fortify intelligent by x amount for a few seconds, each. From there I can stack cast those at the same time any time I need to make another enchantment.
>>
>>386498832
I don't even remember if you can buy filled soulgems to make your first soultrap dagger, but yeah, technically that's possible.
>>
>>386498958
you can steal some good ones in balmora at the start of the game

I wouldn't make a dagger, I'd put it on a ring.
>>
i want to mod the game but i dont wanna buy winrar help
>>
>>386499323
are you 12?
>>
>>386499357
21 help
>>
>>386499461
http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
>>
>>386499461
just press cancel dumpass
>>
>>386499946
>>386499537
haha i tricked you! stupid hero
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.