[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some other games that completely ruin the original material

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: Shadow_of_Chernobyl_cover.jpg (47KB, 325x462px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow_of_Chernobyl_cover.jpg
47KB, 325x462px
What are some other games that completely ruin the original material they came from?
>>
Final Fantasy.
Spirits Within was nothing like that teenage weebshit
>>
I liked both Roadside Picnic and the STALKER games. They're different, but still very enjoyable
>>
inspired by =/= based on
>>
CoC crashes too often,what do?
>>
>>386461253
witcher
>>
You mean the book, or the movie.
Because the book is kinda shit anyway. Good idea, completely wasted.

I think that Stalker did actually understand the aesthetics of both the few good parts of the book and the entire movie surprisingly well, for a videogame. The story is actually terribly silly and the final reveal about the noosphere is absolutely fucking retarded, but it only makes up for about 5% of the story.
The way it works with the old Soviet Cold War Body Horror and the landscape and atmosphere is actually quite amazing. About as good as you could ever translate this material into a mainstream oriented game.

It would be nice to see a less shooting oriented version of Stalker though.
>>
>>386462389
>Because the book is kinda shit anyway. Good idea, completely wasted.

yes, because you read the translated version you fucktard
>>
So what's the deal with Roadside Picnic
>>
>>386462470
>yes, because you read the translated version you fucktard
Yeah. One of the best translations available, too. Been praised by Russian linguists in particular for being very accurate and maintaining the spirit of the book. I do live in slavic country though, so our translations of other Slavic literature tends to be spot on.

The problem is not with the translation, kid. It's the fact that the absolute strongest element of the book, the Zone itself, gets about twelve pages. Rest is mostly Jetsons-like descriptions of cartoony future.
The other problem is that it's cheap. Based on a very cheap, very dishonest trick. Specifically the use of paradoxes and unwillingness to provide adequate descriptions. Invoking one's imagination, or providing paradoxical descriptions are all very fine, but this book MASSIVELY overuses them, to a point where it just becomes obnoxious and pretentious as hell. It's just very inelegant writing.

The final problem is the utter lack of actual conclusion.
Sure, the core idea is interesting. The notion of the Road Side Picknick, the idea of struggling to accept existence of something completely beyond or comprehension, is a neat one. But the actual story of Redrick and his cast, the ultimate concept of Wishgranter are completely vapid and devoid of actual fucking point. Especially the ending, which so PAINFULLY cheap and copout it's not even funny.

Stalker could have made for a fun little short story. The idea of the Zone, on the few rare occasions of it ACTUALLY BEING FUCKING DESCRIBED are evocative and beautiful. And the idea of the alien visit leaving in it's wake something so utterly out of our realm of comprehension - possibly by complete accident - is neat and could carry on a short story.

Rest of it is garbage though.
>>
>>386464905
what a load of pretentious reddit-tier horseshit. all that rusty slavic water must be erroding your troglodyte brain
>>
>>386461253
It should be stated that STALKER simply borrowed ideas from the movie and book, and was never claimed to be an adaptation of either.
>>
>>386465184
Well, that is a very powerful and mature reaction to criticism. Hope your are proud of yourself. I mean: when somebody says something negative about something you like, you managed to argue with reddit and nationality!

I'm blown away!
>>
>>386464905
Well written, and to the point. thanks.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.