[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Want to get good at fighting games. >Download a game and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 10

File: 519SO1gM-ZL._SL1000_.jpg (52KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
519SO1gM-ZL._SL1000_.jpg
52KB, 1000x600px
>Want to get good at fighting games.
>Download a game and start training challenges.
>Get stuck on some low-medium level challenges, most times involving a jumping>standing>crouching>finisher combo.
>Struggle with Medium difficulty bots
>Lose motivation
>"I'm sure its a controller problem, this stupid keyboard/xbox360 controller..."
>Don't want to buy a 200+ $ fightstick and can't find pic related where I live.
>"I'm sure I'll do better with a different game"

I've already gone through Skullgirls, Guilty Gear and Street Fighter V, and got UNIEST downloading.
How do I keep myself motivated? When is the right time to jump into online?

[spoilers]Fighting Games general I guess[/spoiler]
>>
Even fail at spoilers in my own thread.
I'm a disappointment.
>>
File: 1349205473092.jpg (19KB, 251x251px) Image search: [Google]
1349205473092.jpg
19KB, 251x251px
>>386448445
I would focus in only one game you find cool senpai
>>
>>386448881
What game do you find cool?
>>
>>386448445
generals are banned from /v/

sage this shit
>>
File: think.gif (3MB, 460x460px) Image search: [Google]
think.gif
3MB, 460x460px
>>386448445

>its not a controller issue
>its not a "not my fighting game" issue

Its a you need to keep playing the game issue honestly. Its the only thing that will make you get better.

You have to stop seeing games you lose in a different light. Every loss is just an opportunity to learn and grow. Figure out 1 thing out of the 100 that you did wrong in the last match and fix it, even if it makes you lose even worse against the same person.

For example when I was learning Tekken. I almost beat this guy but he was kicking my ass with low attacks. The next match I told myself I was not going to get hit with a low. I was successful in that I didnt get hit with any lows but I got demolished with mid attacks and loss terribly. The point was learning how low attacks work through living and dying by blocking/countering it.

Also this may sound lame as fuck but finding a "rival" in real life of online that is just as serious about getting better in fighting games. playing them all the time as you both get better to try to beat each other creates a lot of growth fast.
>>
Where the fuck do you live where you cant order one off amazon?
You can also get 10$ fight sticks off aliexpress but itll take over a month to get to your door.
>>
>>386449164
GG
>>
>>386449420
>>386448881
Thanks for the motivation. I think I'll just give UNIEST a quick try to see how I like it and pick one from the four I've tried.

>>386449470
Amazon doesn't ship to the third world, sadly. But I had not thought of aliexpress. I'll give it a go. What should I take in consideration?
>>
File: 1501983173160.png (716KB, 1000x769px) Image search: [Google]
1501983173160.png
716KB, 1000x769px
>>386448445
Out of those games you've gone through, just pick one that has interested you the most.
>How do I keep myself motivated? When is the right time to jump into online?
Once you've got the basics down just hop online and dont let losses get you down. You're gonna lose A LOT and you need to learn from your losses. Look up guides and watch the pros that use your character to get an idea of how to fight
>>
>>386448445
>can't find pic related where I live

You can't order stuff from foreign countries? You live in excluded Britain/North Korea or something?
>>
>>386449794
South American countries have some heavy import taxes.
>>
>>386449948
How heavy?
>>
>>386450005
We're talking 50% of the price of the item, for most items. The only exception is books. That, coupled with transport fees, give each item a 110%-130% price increase.
>>
>>386448445
Challenges will give you a better understanding of the mechanics of the game but will not make you good at it.

Theres no point in learning a 5 stage combo if you cant even open the other player's guard. You need to put yourself challenges in each fight. For example in one fight just try to break your opponent's guard (try overheads, lows and grabs), in other fight just try and time your blocks and see when its safe to punish your opponent, etc.

If you are just starting pick a character you like and learn him/her by heart, you need to be able to go throught the motions of a character special abilities without thinking about the inpunt. For example if you want to do a fireball you shouldnt think "quarter circle forward + attack", you should just think fireball and your body should know the motion on its own.

Knowing when to block, attack, punish is more importand that knowing combos, you will start to get more hits in your opponent and that should keep you motivated. Once you master this move onto combos.
>>
File: 1498916548040.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1498916548040.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>386448445
>>386449609
>>386449948

>A controller isnt gonna teach you spacing
>A controller isnt gonna teach you combos
>A controller isnt gonna teach you how to punish
>A controller isnt gonna teach you hot to tech throws
>A controller isnt gonna teach you to confirm your supers
>A controller isnt gonna teach you matchups.

Dude worry about a controller once you get good and know the mechanics. There is no pay to win in fighting games. Different controllers are honestly for comfort only and some can offer slight ease for certain moves but nothing any where near low/mid level play.

Get off 4chan and play.
>>
>>386448445
Let me share a story with you.
>go to friend's house
>he's playing Mortal Kombat X
>playing through the ladder at normal difficulty
>gets stuck about halfway into the ladder
>lets me play for a good while
>pick Freddy Kruger
>lose
>lose
>lose
So after about 20 minutes of shameful losses I give him back the controller. He finally beats whatever part of the ladder he was stuck on. His next opponent is Scorpion when suddenly
>see Scorpion's moveset
>suddenly remember the 5000+ hours of Scorpion I used to play on the N64 Mortal Kombat
>moveset almost completely unchanged
>pass me the controller
>cream through the normal difficulty ladder
>too easy
>start again with grandmaster or whatever the highest difficulty was
>20 minutes later I'm fighting Shao Kahn on grandmaster
>it's complete bullshit since you die in 2 hits and he can ignore hitstun
>Get bored and leave
Anyways, if you want to succeed in this just pick one thing and be good at it. It's a massive time investment to become great at something.
>>
>>386450416

> There is no pay to win in fighting games

Hehehe...
>>
File: tekken_8bits_1.png (2MB, 1916x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tekken_8bits_1.png
2MB, 1916x1080px
>>386449164
tekken, but being a eurofag who favorite childhood game is tekken 5 is normal tekken is my favorite fighting game.
>>
>>386450534
examples please?
>>
>>386450676
>Tekken
Not a fightan
>>
File: 1499729364052.gif (4MB, 280x302px) Image search: [Google]
1499729364052.gif
4MB, 280x302px
>>386450834
>>
>>386450534
Collusion only works if you're already a pro.
>>
>decide to blast up some usf4
>literally only ever get matched up against one frenchie, who always fucking uses deejay and has spent probably at least 4000 hours perfecting a combo that deals half my life bar, and instantly telegraphs and perfectly blocks every single one of my moves
>also the game freezes every few seconds
>inb4 git gud faggot
>>
>>386450720

>implying im gonna let you know my secret
>>
File: 1480575728064.jpg (49KB, 604x402px) Image search: [Google]
1480575728064.jpg
49KB, 604x402px
>>386448445
I'd look up guides for whatever character you're playing. then look up the top players who're using that character and see what they're doing. you don't have to do the exact same things, if it's too difficult just try your own variation. take it as a guide.

some tips for trainingboaring combos:
if you can't do something. try to do parts of it 10 times in a row without dropping it once (!). then do the whole thing 10 times in a row. that's enough to slowly get it into your muscle memory. it worked for me.

as for pvp, don't worry about losing, you will lack experience in the beginning. just try to get full control over what you're doing.
learn how to block first (learn to do it really well). then learn all the other defensive options in your game. If you can block and understand most of the pressure even from experienced players, then you're already half the way to beating them.

as for offense, it really comes down to how instinctually you can use your character, and again, being able to do things 10-20 times in a row helps with that tremendeously.

>Struggle with Medium difficulty bots
you WILL lose online in the beginning, don't worry about it. that being said you want to be able to beat the hardest AIs.
>>
>>386450676
That's everyone in yurope. Everyone loves tekken here
>>
>>386451071
Would it make you happier or more miserable if I told you dee jay is considered the worst character in the game?
>>
>>386448445
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEIAy7kAeWE
>>
>>386451071
You're fighting a rank bot with preset combos.

Also you're bad.
>>
>>386448445
I was pretty in same position like you,I bought cheap stick(cheap because I still dont know if I'll become stick user)And started playing,I still suck ass but it's fun and it's easier to do qcf shit,plus there are no random jumps like on xbox360 dpad
>>
>>386448445
Honestly jump into online even when you're garbage. Go into practice mode just to learn your normals and your specials. Don't focus on any complicated combos if you're having issues, you have more important things to learn. If you're playing something like SFV don't focus combos right away, if it's an anime fight just stick with some short and sweet easy to pull off combos.

Go into an online fight in a game that actually has a community so you can possibly find people around or not too much higher than your skill level. Learn spacing, and what all your specials and normals can do for you against an assortment of opponents, once you have all the fundamentals down a little better and aren't second guessing basics then you can start practicing more advanced combos.
>>
>>386452363
Yeah, I think I didn't have the community in consideration.
Which games have the biggest communities?
>>
>>386448445
How good is that controller for platformers? Is it better than the 8bitdo?
>>
>>386452562
>Which games have the biggest communities?
Literally any contemporary fighter has active online. Obviously Capcom games have more players than others.

Then there's Fightcade for 'dead' games which always has the same people playing at various skill levels.
>>
>>386452026
what exactly is bad about him, as I've never actually encountered one before this paki-cock-sucking faggot came along, in comparison to other characters?
t. akuma main
>>
>>386448445
Does anyone know if that controller works on the xbox 360 too when its set it to PC mode? On the xbox version the 360 and PC are the same option because the controller is recognized as an xbox 360 controller through xinput, I was wondering if the same thing applied to this one
>>
File: Fighting-Commander-4-Pro.jpg (24KB, 600x355px) Image search: [Google]
Fighting-Commander-4-Pro.jpg
24KB, 600x355px
>>386449794
this controller is the european version of the Hori fighting commander, i use it and i only got it for 40 euros.
The american fighting commander is the fighting commander 4 and looks like pic related
>>
>>386452719
He's just mediocre in general. He's not especially good at anything.
SF2 dee jay is way more fun. Fat projectiles and fat ass combos everywhere
>>
>>386453395
How do you hold this?
>>
>>386453395
Is there a setting in there somewhere where I can press 3 punches simultaneously?
>>
>>386453395
I doubt they have localized any pads for European and American markets. Both are Japanese designs, the one in the OP's pic is the older (and according to the popular opinion) also the better version while the one you linked is the newer yet considered worse by most people I have talked to.
>>
>>386453570
With two hands.
>>
>>386453718
you can use its shoulder buttons, you can bind up to anything, although be aware that if you play street fighter 5 you can only bind up to 8 input, so you won't be able to bind 2 shoulder buttons, on other games like tekken it works
>>
>>386453395
That's the Fighting Commander PRO.
OP is the regular Fighting Commander.
>>
File: 115044b1.jpg (52KB, 544x300px) Image search: [Google]
115044b1.jpg
52KB, 544x300px
>>386453395
That's the FC3 Pro, the FC4 Pro has a PS4/PS3 toggle beneath the DP/LS/RS switch like this pic.

OP's image is simply the Fighting Commander, which apparently had some issues with the Dpad wearing out quickly, but I haven't had any problems with mine so far.

There's supposed to be a FCV, that released a couple of months ago in Japan, but I can't find it now. It has the asymmetrical design, and is supposed to have fixed the issues with the rotating d-pad gimmick.
>>
>>386448445
>Controller problem
>Meanwhile i can play mid level or maybe alittle better but ill call it mid level GGXrdRev2 on a PS4 analog and played fighters all last gen on a 360 controller.

Also KOF on a PS4 pad. Its not the controller its honestly you practice makes perfect.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.