[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't games have deep plots? Is it because the gameplay

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Why can't games have deep plots?

Is it because the gameplay takes away too much resources out of the overall budget, preventing the writters to actual put effort into the story?

Seriously, name just a single game with a good story, just one.
>>
>>386439053
Bioshock.
>>
>>386439053
Because it takes away resources and because a lot of writers for video games are failed screen writers which makes them mediocre at story telling at best and terrible at it at worst, all coupled with video games being a relatively young medium so there isn't a whole lot of knowledge on how to use gameplay to tell a story with out forcing the player into some form of cut scene.
>>
>>386439053
Describe "deep plot" to me, if its anything along the lines of "cant be summarized in one sentence" then you are kidding your self because everything can be summarized in one sentence with the goal of making it look more simple then it is. You can summarise any lovecraft book with "local man goes insane because aliens".
>>
File: 1498254347367.jpg (119KB, 741x834px) Image search: [Google]
1498254347367.jpg
119KB, 741x834px
>[Deleted]
>[Deleted]
>[Deleted]
>[Deleted]
>[Deleted]
Great thread OP
Games don't have deep plots because they don't get proper professional writers to get work done. Tell me with a straight face that people like Kojima and David Cage aren't fucking jokes that would get laughed at if they attempted to publish a book
>>
>>386439053
I doubt writing a story is as expensive to the production as the technical development. You can put 2 dudes in a room for 5 hours and get the plot fleshed out. The reason why deep plots don't make it to vidya is because the writers are usually failing writers of the cinema industry who couldn't find a job elsewhere. Sometimes it's normal-grade writers who just can't make the appropriate transition to the vidya world, and find the gameplay actually limiting.
Games have deep plots. Games have deep settings an environments. And sometimes games have as much plot as a Schwarzenegger movie would have, which is a few lines of dialogue between action scenes.

>name a single game
Take Bastion. That game had a world, and a big climatic event happened. You are a kid who wakes up in the middle of nothing, and learns that picking up crystals could revive the world. He goes and finds the destroyed remnants of the world, ash statues of the people he knew. He finds a badge of the police force he was trying so hard to join. He finds survivors with their own sad backstory who have nothing left to lose. And the survivors then learn truths that makes them change sides and turn against you. The kid falls into drug-induced comas that make him face the past and his own decisions in life. He ends up making other decisions that affect the world.
>>
>>386439053
>shitty writers
>devs try to make a movie/book like plot instead of using the interactivity of the medium to tell the story
>"cinematic experience" meme
In too many cases story is actually in way of the gameplay (FFXV is the most recent prime example in that). Instead of making something that complements each other, they make two separate clashing things.
>>
>>386439749
>Books have deepplots
I honestly hate this meme, I cant remember ever reading a book that shook my world to its core and made me a better person or something.
Deep plots are a joke because they are only as deep as you allow them to be.
>>
>>386439053
Planescape: Torment. Morrowind MQ.
>>
>>386439889
Mein Kampf
>>
>>386439053
Forbidden Siren 2
>>
>>386442059
mein kampf doesn't have a plot, it's an essay
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.