[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Best netcode for fighting games >Smooth experience fo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: ggpo.jpg (90KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ggpo.jpg
90KB, 800x600px
>Best netcode for fighting games
>Smooth experience for both players
>Newest version is GGPO3 used in Rising Thunder
>Some testify that it's the best rollback netcode implementation to date
>Meanwhile most fighters use delay based or a botched implementation of rollback netcode that is so bad that people start to think delay based is better
>Most publishers are half assed to pay for GGPO even though it costs so little
I will never understand why companies use it. GGPO should be the fucking law and no one uses any other shitty netcode alternative

Here's a video about the thing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9JTIn1SVQ4
>>
File: 1471816723528.jpg (137KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1471816723528.jpg
137KB, 803x688px
>>386434424
*why companies don't use it
Fuck
>>
Fighting games will always be shit online.
>>
>>386434424
Japan makes most of the fighting games which is why most fighting game's netcode is shit.
They don't need good netcode over there because they're so close to each other and they still have arcades.
>>
>>386434580
What about when they localize their games internationally? It's retarded to think about one country then not think about the rest. Even American devs start to use it more, like KI, MK, SG and Injustice from what I've heard uses a similar thing.
>>
>>386434690
retarded japanese pride
>whito piggu neto-codo? dishonorabu!
>>
>>386434690
There's several theories I have
>prideful of their own netcode
>malicious towards other countries' online scenes
>netcode is unimportant to them
>not enough demand for better netcode
>completely ignorant about netcode
>>
>>386434424
just improve your countrys shitty FTTH
japan and korea have good one so they do not care "wahhhhhh why didnt they asian use my lovable netcodes originated from my country despite the fact that western is always superior to them"
>>
>>386435235
Improve your post's shitty grammar.
>>
One question: is it really good?

And can you use it for the game appropriately that is not composed of 2d sprites and really basic online function just like the list showed up in a video above

We are hearing the story or complaining that why capcom didn't use it since the game came out, but now, when everything about capcom is going to turn out simple hostility to capcom, I am not sure whether it is actually good choice for them or just a normal practice of haters shitting on capcom

At the very least, it seems like big company making big budget fighting games except for indies such as skullgirls, have not used it to build their netcode
>>
>>386436064
>I am not sure whether it is actually good choice for them or just a normal practice of haters shitting on capcom
Who's complaining about Capcom in the thread? Most here seem to complain about Jap fighting games in general

>At the very least, it seems like big company making big budget fighting games except for indies such as skullgirls, have not used it to build their netcode
Mortal Kombat XL, Killer Instinct use it and Injustice 2 uses a modification of it from what I've heard. I don't hear any complaints about the netcode from them
>>
>>386436064
>is it really good?
It's magic compared to shitty japanese netcode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRhQjxbb0yw
>>
>>386436064
Yes, it is objectively better in every way as it is an actual lag compensation technique being employed. All it requires from the games themselves is the ability to seamlessly save and load states instantly. It doesn't matter if they are 2D or 3D.

That being said, even if rollbacks/GGPO is implemented the lag still exists. It is just hidden behind smoke and mirrors. This means the game still plays differently compared to offline play. Possibly due to poor implementations of rollback, I feel as though there is a weird divide on how people prefer to deal with this lag.

Some people would rather play in delay rather than deal with the popping, snapping because its more predictable. As an example from another genre, Quake players would rather adjust their aim to their ping rather than play at the server's mercy such like in CSGO. What people don't know about rollback is that you can mix in some amount of, to a full amount of delay into the formula and I don't see this level of control in many rollback implementations.

>>386435046
From what I can see, I feel like its because Japanese developers still have a high vested interest in their arcade market that they do not want their netcode on consoles/PC to be too strong. They don't want the home version to replace their arcade version. You think they can't do simultaneous arcade, console and PC releases in this day and age? It's all delayed for a reason, and I think they just want their quarters.

UNIST PC when ;_;
>>
>>386435046
You can't discount that last, for certain. Japanese programmers these days as a rule, are not innovative or highly skilled compared to western counterparts. Competent at best, and even that standard is often fallen beneath.
>>
A game that uses it on switch has been delayed for 5 months now with no release in sight. Specifically because implementing it is a bitch.

Gee I wonder why more people don't use it??!!!1
>>
>>386437701
>oh, you know, a game. it doesn't matter who!
>>
>>386434424
>Japanese using white piggu technology

Western fighters are already using competent rollback implementations.
>>
>>386437453
>UNIST
Does it use rollback netcode? I can see frenchbread implement it
>>
Whens that fightcade update coming tho>>386438224
>>
>>386439215
Fuck i fat fingered my phone
>>
>>386434424
heres the thing though most of the good games are japanese and japan are coding retards. A majority of them probably never even heard of GGPO
>>
>>386439169
Sadly no, its delay based. I wonder what happened with that though, didn't they acquire madscientist for Melty and then drop it hard?
>>
>>386438168
Pocket Rumble
>>
>>386434424
If I remember correctly GGPO just rips the current ram state and saves it to roll back to.

It just isn't very agreeable with memory-intensive games.
>>
>>386439639
It had to do that because it was working within an emulated environment with variable games no? You can cut down on memory usage heavily if you only work with the states of important relevant objects.
>>
>>386439548
Did you consider that maybe, just maybe, the devs are inexperienced and lack skill? This really screams "amateur" and "bad".
>>
>>386439639
Pretty sure the API requires the developer to determine the roll back mechanism and they can do it any way they want. It only worked that way in FBA because it was an emulator and save states already existed.
>>
>>386439864
>In a fighting game thread
>Unironically doesn't know about NGPC

Kill yourself.
>>
>>386440338
Not sure how you came to that conclusion. He's saying they chose the Neo Geo Pocket style because they weren't skilled enough to do something better.
>>
>>386440338
>>386440541
The problem is it looks like a really shitty facsimile of it.
>>
>>386434424
>Most publishers are half assed to pay for GGPO even though it costs so little
It's more about having to rewrite parts of your engine in order to be able to implement GGPO. And that kind of stuff costs money.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.