[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are Japanese games better because they're more absurd? Why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: spiritbeam.png (258KB, 975x695px) Image search: [Google]
spiritbeam.png
258KB, 975x695px
Are Japanese games better because they're more absurd? Why is it that western games tone down absurdism, and Japan cranks it up, and do you think that effects how good the games are? I'm not saying serious games are bad, there's definitely a lot of great ones, but on the whole I feel like they're less fun.

Even games like GTA V have gone a more realistic route whereas the most fun in Yakuza 0 was fucking around doing all the weird shit. The only western game I can think that embraces being weird is the Saints Row series which seems dead unless Agents of Mayhem is good.
>>
GTA is just as if not more absurd than Yakuza, you'd have to be biased as fuck not to see that.
>>
>>386423275
Game play can still be fun even if the lore or world tries to be rooted in some form of realism. And even in games involving fantasy or Sci fi, the game has more than its fair share of absurdities but still tries to lay down some ground rules in the form of natural laws or established background lore. Japan just says fuck it make it more stupid or ridiculous even if it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>386423275
GTA is more wacky than Yakuza. The characters and worlds are outlandish and the sandbox gameplay makes it even more crazy. Yakuza just has forced humor and flashy qte/cinematics, but it's all on the rail.
>>
>>386423275
>western game
>protagonist is a short haired or bald middle aged man with a gun
riveting
>>
>>386423275
>Are Japanese games better
Every since ps2 japanese games became increasingly worse they are not shit on a technical level (even the biggest jap aaa games cant compete with a average looking western game on visuals) and they take roughly 3 times as long to release games compare to the west.
If anything the weeb devs have lost the plot.
>>
>>386423939
Nice meme. Can you even name 5 examples of boring, 2 dimensional jughead characters in the last few years?
>>
If you enjoy how absurd japanese games are you're mentally deficient
>>
>>386424310
>ywn be as cool and mature as this anon
>>
>>386423275
>that image
Incoming buttmad weeaboos claiming everything made by Japan is instantly better

To answer your question OP the absurdity doesn't affect how good games are, you can have western absurd that just like you can have serious eastern, the execution can go well either way
>>
>>386423558
>>386423590
>>386423743
I see what you mean, I probably shouldn't have tried to use modern examples either. I guess I more mean to ask why do you find games like Katamari or Chulip in Japan, but not so much in the west? Games with simple concepts that just become more and more ridiculous.
>>386423939
I wasn't trying to start a shitstorm with the OP I just think the picture is funny, moreso I'd rather talk about the idea of weird shit in games, and how that maybe more seen in Japanese titles.
>>386424310
That's dumb.
>>386424006
Yeah you have a point, all the games I can really think of that embrace absurdity kinda died off around PS3.
>>
File: 1478303797997.jpg (17KB, 235x235px) Image search: [Google]
1478303797997.jpg
17KB, 235x235px
>>386423275
heh, so true! XD
>>
>>386424246
Can you explain even one game that has even a close approximation to the eastern protagonist you described? Because your description sounds like someone's out-of-touch father describing 80's anime.
>>
>>386423275
It has very old roots. Westerners think a good game has to be a good simulation. Japanese tend to think it must be a good "game", even by a toyish point of view, if it serves the purpose of doing something fun. I tend to like both visions.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.