[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real talk, why has Sony not released a revision of the PS4 Pro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (48KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
48KB, 1280x720px
Real talk, why has Sony not released a revision of the PS4 Pro with UHD / 4K Blu-Ray support? Without 4K Blu-Ray player its utility as a 4K entertainment box is limited pretty much just to some PS4 games and some streaming.

Sony's got a financial stake in 4K Blu-Ray and yet the only console that supports it is the Xbox One S and X. That seems incredibly counterproductive. While it's impossible to add it to existing PS4 Pro units there's nothing stopping Sony from adding that feature to new ones, and it would make the system a much more attractive and obvious purchase for new 4K TV buyers.
>>
>>386422212
no one buys HD blue rays
>>
I don't understand why they don't do this, and why they dont have better support through apps for 4K. I would expect them to be pushing both of these things, but at least one of them with their psuedo 4K box.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160929-140437.png (761KB, 1200x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160929-140437.png
761KB, 1200x1920px
>>
>>386422212
It's a cheaply made system they wanted to cut costs that's why that's also why it runs so hot even the fans can't keep up wtf happened Sony?
>>
first /v/ complains that playstation is a dvd player and than /v/ complains when it's not a movie box

make up your fucking minds
>>
File: millenniggers.jpg (1MB, 3680x2079px) Image search: [Google]
millenniggers.jpg
1MB, 3680x2079px
>>386423847
Blame the millenniggers for this. They don't care about quality for anything, they just want the convenience of having everything at the push of a button. These are the people who spend hundreds of dollars on music but listen to it on the Earpods that came with their iPhone.

4K streaming can't hold a candle to UHD Blu-Ray, and when it comes to audio it's not even close. Netflix still doesn't even have surround sound encoding. Unfortunately millenniggers are going to ruin the enthusiast market because they waste money gobbling up stupid shit on Netflix and can't even be assed to go to a movie theater once in a while.
>>
>>386422212
>While it's impossible to add it to existing PS4 Pro
I was hoping it from an update in my regular PS4. Im so ignorant....
Btw, is it possible to store stuff in hard drives and play content from them (as in movies or else)?
>>
The Pro Slim will have it 100%

The reason is cost cutting, Sony probably want to break even on the Pro, even if only slightly, a 4K Blu-Ray drive might make it lose profit
>>
>>386424831
Yes but I don't know if PS4 Pro supports 4K playback from the hard drive. I know it supports .mkv files but 4K ones might not play.
>>
>>386422212

No one is buying 4K blu-rays (or blu-rays in general anymore). Normies can barely see the difference in movies, unlike the jump from DVD to Blu-Rays.
>>
>>386424941
The components will be cheap enough in a year that I'd be shocked if they don't release a slim version of PS4 Pro. At that point I expect Sony is going to discontinue the original PS4 and PS4 Pro, and bundle in free games with the existing units to move them off shelves for the new stock. And that'll be the perfect time to add UHD Blu-Ray support.

UHD Blu-Ray is not going to catch on until Sony makes it standard for consoles. Even then UHD is still actually pretty niche-- people buy the TVs because that's all that the manufacturers are making for >40" TV sets, but they don't have a clue as to how to get UHD content on the screens because the manufacturers and movie studios make it so needlessly complicated. It's the wild west of the early HDTV days all over again.
>>
>>386425004
So what if I use netflix from it? Will it be at 4k? I already have it on my tv but my sound system can only be plugged to the PS4
>>
>>386425503
4K Netflix works on PS4.

http://www.gamesradar.com/how-to-watch-4k-video-on-ps4-pro-with-netflix-amazon-and-youtube/
>>
>>386424649
4K streaming is not even as good as blu-ray, let alone ultra blu-ray
>>
>>386425165
Even that jump wasnt that mad.
4k blu-rays are really expensive (at least in my country) and you have to have the movie, tv and player with 4k to make it work. I have a 4k tv but I think I'll wait for the next playstation to start buying movies for it
>>
>>386425703
4K streaming is basically a meme right now. 4K video files are so absurdly impractical that the only way you are going to see the true benefit (especially with HDR color, which is the big sales gimmick right now) is if you are using UHD discs. If you compress 4K video into something that will actually travel over an internet connection without constant buffering, you will get something that looks worse than Blu-Ray, as you said.

UHD could very well prolong the life of optical media a bit longer, but only if customers actually care about 4K enough. Right now 4K is something that everyone wants on their TV but they don't know shit about how to get it aside from buying the set, which is the same boat that HDTVs were in years ago. A popular misconception with DVD for many years was the belief that it was high definition if you watched it on an HDTV, which obviously isn't even close to true. People are going through the same thing with 4K, thinking that if they just turn on the TV then the content they were already watching will magically take advantage of the higher resolution and HDR, which is the same boat HD was in for several years.

UHD is going to be a slow burn and there's not much point in marketing it heavily until the prices on players go down, and 4K TV market penetration increases. By then it's possible that 4K streaming will have improved significantly, but with cable companies as they are I doubt it. There also needs to be a much better libaray of 4K Blu-Rays available because currently it's a mixed bag, just like the early Blu-Ray releases. Some movies look exemplary while others don't look any better than the Blu-Ray release. Supposedly Life of Pi is the real showroom demo-worhty release as a movie it's not a killer app.
>>
>>386422212
>muh movies

To think I'm old enough to remember when playing blu-ray movies was a point of derision.
>>
>>386424434
>/v/ is a hivemind
>>
>>386422212
They want you to pay for streaming subscriptions and buy Sony's actual UHD players
>>
>>386424351
is that true about the fans? I haven't seen a Pro in action but I recall the original PS4 was noisy as hell. I hope the Pro is better
>>
>>386424649
Millennials will spend half of their adult life paying student loans and mortgage for a tiny house, Most of them can't afford a proper 4k display so I don't understand why you blame them.
>>
>>386424649
Bitch, that's every normie on the tucking planet. Not just one generation. My parent watch most of their shit in 480p maybe 720 if they're lucky because they have shit internet. Because they don't give a fuck. Repeat this adnausem for everyone else except for movie buffs.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.