[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> GS: And with the next game you worked on (Silent Hill 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: pc mary dress.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
pc mary dress.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
> GS: And with the next game you worked on (Silent Hill 2) you had a lot more story control. Do you miss having control over a project like that?

>Takayoshi Sato: Well…I don’t know, I’m in the United States now, and the hierarchy is so different. When I worked on Silent Hill 1, the budget average was like three to five million, like Final Fantasy. Around the time of Silent Hill 2, the average budget was maybe seven to ten million. So it was easier to get power over a project at the time, because the cost wasn’t as much. But now games could cost, I don’t know, ten to fifty million? That’s too much. Way too much money.

>Yeah, those were my glory days, with Silent Hill 2, because after the first one, I got a Japanese Cultural Ministry award, and it was shown at Siggraph, and I got the personal CEO award from Konami, so I had a lot of power over my next project. And that was really fun.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/2382/silence_is_golden_takayoshi_.php

This right here is why gaming is stale now. Budgets are too high, so everything has to be by the numbers with no risk taking. Younger, newer, team members can't rise up or be given important new projects. They need to bring back the 3-10 million tier. PS2 games like silent Hill 2-3 look great. No one would complain about a modern game that looks like them.
>>
>>386386058
but muh graphics and production values
>>
File: 1479707846934.jpg (396KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1479707846934.jpg
396KB, 1920x1080px
>>386386058
>Budgets are too high
Exactly.
And the sad thing is, most of them are "artificially" too high: majority of the cash (in hands of AAA devs) go to marketing and hiring jew-tier Hollywood voice actors & actors.

Meanwhile, we have this "almost-AAA" level tiny group called Croteam, who have managed to create amazing, very nice looking games with mere 500k dollar budgets and only a dozen guys.
>>
AA games are the future.
>>
File: SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png (2MB, 1300x4835px) Image search: [Google]
SH PC Guide 3-2017 update_2.png
2MB, 1300x4835px
>>386386058
>Silent Hill thread
Great! Time to re-re-repost the SH PC Guide + the DL links!

SH1 NTSC DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!bVUCTJzD!PmnPw4S7fWGyvTjw9S0-RQdk7rRp2BQNuXJqRkZCZvk

SH2 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!rFcj1SIJ!47JH9M4OrzmQKuaiJ6IqUgmgz_SVNtk4LIYNSa-D-_8

SH2 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!bYcEnbhC!rYnhvcJiRC46T6yExS0Y61JHZ-5N3WxFvfZMI8xbyhE

SH3 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!2JNkgJ7b!nfPf5cIs6I5K-sdAs7RcnHvGA2hAvIGdpQuIoBhF3iE

SH3 torrent:
https://mega.nz/#!GVVGRLpD!SyklVbuLIkc38ZYji5QL3sWHKtHt9-Bto700My8pH7c

SH4 DDL:
https://mega.nz/#!Us1XTaII!cglH0dZOaH5yQEm4cnEh3eyUz4bIf6rACQqcVzkb4Hc

Mount the ISOs of 2 & 3, and then run their installers like always.
The SH1 is a PS1 rip that you gotta emulate.
The "sh2proxy" fix works as a no-cd crack as well, and is included in the pack.
If you use the NEW widescreen fixes mentioned in guide, the sh2proxy's EXE works as no-cd crack too.

In case you experience issues saving the game / not being able to edit the disp.ini, make sure the files aren't set to "Read Only", and run the game as Administrator.
If SH2 gets stuck in a black screen upon launch, close it and re-start it again.

If your copy of SH3 runs like shit even on a strong PC, check the in-game "Rendering Resolution" setting; make sure it's not set to crazy high (ie 4096 x 4096), and drop it to tolerable levels if it is.

You can now see fine emulator settings for SH1 in the guide. You may also try the newer PGXP emulator for wobble-free PS1 graphics.

>General pro tips
-Play in release order.
-Never below Normal difficulty.
-Replaying each of the games is very recommended.
-Turn down the in-game Brightness setting.
-Don't try to kill everything, especially outdoors! Just turn OFF your lamp!
>>
>>386386058
That has been know for a while, the fancy business term is that the AAA gaming industry is "risk averse". Basically there's too much money at stake to do something risky like launching new IPs that are guaranteed to sell less due to no brand recognition, and it's even riskier to try something with a different formula than what has been tried in the past. It's why every big FPS jumped in the CoD bandwagon, why everything Ubisoft makes is basically a reskinned AssCreed, why the Tomb Raider reboot tried to ape Uncharted instead of trying to be its own thing, etc.

For better or worse, indie games are where you'll see any attempts at something genuinely new. That and the odd low budget Ubisoft game.
>>
File: Commandos_2_-_Men_of_Courage10.jpg (224KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Commandos_2_-_Men_of_Courage10.jpg
224KB, 1024x768px
>>386387260
Like...?
>>
File: ss3 blood & gore in the desert.jpg (554KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ss3 blood & gore in the desert.jpg
554KB, 1920x1080px
>>386387534
This.
It's partly because of what he said having continued for around a whole decade soon, that I have had the most fun and excitement with these mere "AA" and indie- / mod-games in the past few years.

It's also one reason why some games like BotW managed to greatly surprise me recently, besides superficially looking like an "Ubisoft open-world game" at the first glance.

>>386388176
Anything Croteam has released.
>>
>made in less than 2 years
>Platinum games re-using an old engine they know well
>first proposal was rejected by SE (likely meant they didn't want to pay as much).

Nier was probably cheap as hell to make and exactly the kind of A level game we need more of. Probably 7-10 million budget.
>>
>>386388409
>>386389576
The Japanese in general seem to be very good at making games that don't feel heavily compromised without needing gargantuan budgets. The currency conversion probably helps them too.
>>
>>386389878
>The Japanese in general seem to be very good at making games that don't feel heavily compromised without needing gargantuan budgets. The currency conversion probably helps them too.

They still fall for AAA disease. Look at FF15, MGSV or any other super huge game.
>>
>>386386058
>No one would complain
I wish.
>>
>>386386435
The Talos Principle really is an incredible game, I almost wish I could just get more of that over Serious Sam
>>
>>386387534
>Indie games are where you'll see any attempts at something genuinely new
The indie game market is the same as the AAA market. 1 or 2 developers make something new (Minecraft) and EVERYONE copies them. That's why since Super Meat Boy, Limbo, and Braid, every puzzle platformer is exactly the same.
>>
>>386389972
>Look at FF15, MGSV or any other super huge game.
So 2-3 games from the past < 5 years in whole?
Versus countless in the past 10+ years in case of western devs.
>>
>>386389972
Those were both big reinventions on their respective series' core gameplay, which is the exact opposite of the western AAA model.
>>
>>386391425
The fact there's cheap clones trying to cash in the popularity of bigger titles doesn't negate the innovation going on. And even then, not all the games inspired by others are soulless cash-ins, for instance BoI and the whole "rogue-lite" subgenre spawned games like Crypt of the Necrodancer, Minecraft itself led to Terraria, etc.

Of course given that indie can refer to literally anything functional enough to be considered a video game, there's bound to be a lot of trash in that segment of the market; but if you look at the more prominent games there's plenty of good stuff going around.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.