[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is there such an untapped resevoir for RPGs based on established

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Kotorbox.jpg (70KB, 260x361px) Image search: [Google]
Kotorbox.jpg
70KB, 260x361px
Why is there such an untapped resevoir for RPGs based on established franchises. Old D&D games and KOTOR are basically it.

>there will never be a LOTR game as good as KOTOR
>there will never be a Harry Potter game as good as KOTOR
>there will never be a Marvel game as good as KOTOR
>>
>>386385130
Harry Potter and the Marvel series' don't really lend themselves to talky, battley RPGs do they?
>>
because companies that own the brands are retarded and so are the vidya publishers that can afford the licence
so there's 2 layers of retardation devs need to go through, that assuming the devs are actually competent

>>386385765
marvel does, you can have "X-Men Academy" or some shit like that where you create a new character that goes through Xavier shitty school
I can be like Persona, but good
>>
>>386385765

what the fuck, Harry potter would totally lend to a talky rpg, the whole books were them always talking and sneaking around the castle trying to unravel mysteries or prepare for events.

could make it more like bully though in that you have to go to classes but then full kotor when you have to explore and do story and side quest related shit. could set the story after the Harry potter books and the theme of the story is based around whether wizards should be more traditional and stick to magic or take on muggle technology and adapt it to use it along with their magic, instead of doing a boring ass good vs evil you choose which side of the issue you fall on and that determines skill trees, partners, weapons, quests, and so on. imagine being pro muggle tech then halfway turn more traditional and have some of your current party turn on you and challenge you to a duel.
>>
>>386385130
>as good as KOTOR
Man, the nostalgia is going strong today.
The game was already a step back from NWN, it would have been seriously critiqued for writing and simplicity of every single mechanic/questdesign/mapdesign if it hadnt had the star wars brownie points.
And the "twist" was a fucking joke that was obvious from taris onwards.
>>
>>386385130
I don't think Harry Potter really lends itself to a KOTOR style system, all combat is done with a wand so it just... I don't know, I'm sure it's possible but I don't think it would work well.

LotR and Comics however, that would not only be possible but fucking amazing. Now you're just making me wish the industry wasn't going to shit.
>>
>>386385130
Because the modern industry has deemed these games too hard to produce. They require the most effort in terms of writing by far, and because of most large devs and publishers unhealthy obsession with VA that only drags it down further.

You can get occasional indie efforts like Dragonfall, etc., but those are pretty small compared to what you're thinking of.
>>
>>386387457
you have to have the LICENSE FIRST YOU HAVE TO HAVE THE RIGHTS TO THE FRANCHISE YOU MOTHER FUCK AND THE COMPANIES THAT HAVE THE RIGHTS HAVE A FUCKING DEATH GRIP ON THEM AND WILL NEVER LET GO GIVE UP ON ALL YOUR HOPES FOR ANYTHING GOOD TO EVER COME FROM THESE RIGHT NOW.
>>
>>386385765
The first two harry potter games were literally talky, battley RPGs on gbc.
>>
File: huehuehue.jpg (12KB, 208x147px) Image search: [Google]
huehuehue.jpg
12KB, 208x147px
>>386387519
>The game was already a step back from NWN
NWN was way more of a hassle to play, KOTOR even if simplistic just have a better pacing/structure
>And the "twist" was a fucking joke that was obvious from taris onwards.
Nice opinion, the twist was not a shitty "gotcha" like a modern game would do, it was laid out nicely thought the story until the reveal which was more of a confirmation/crossroads for the PC and a excuse to go darkside or resist
>>
>>there will never be a LOTR game as good as KOTOR

Any LOTR KOTOR would be based in the Peter Jackson universe which, good as it is, has been milked to death by video games. Personally, I am bored of that aesthetic. Bored of that music, bored of that orc armour, etc..

At the same time, a "new take" on the material would not be anywhere near as slick and professional, and would seem lacklustre in comparison. Bit of a Catch-22 really.

They should make a KOTOR set in the Fresh Prince universe.

>*Uncle Phil looks like he wants to talk about something*

>"Will, I've always tried to be an example to you. Your actions make me concerned that you are not following that example."

>Jazzy Jeff: "Don't listen to that Uncle Tom, Will. Let's go down the hood and sling some cra - I mean do some positive community work, yeah."
>>
Why did we never get a star trek rpg? Other than the point and click adventures, star trek would make a great rpg. Just need decent writers for it.
>>
>>386387838
dude
>>
File: 1501764972577.jpg (1MB, 1588x2862px) Image search: [Google]
1501764972577.jpg
1MB, 1588x2862px
Why didn't the "wizards" just cast themselves out of the dullest franchise in the history of movie franchises? Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody?just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.
>>
File: 271214071_69170628de.jpg (220KB, 496x500px) Image search: [Google]
271214071_69170628de.jpg
220KB, 496x500px
>>386389983
>Not even editing the intro
I'm afraid I can't give this higher than a 0/10.
>>
Kotor isn't really that good
>>
>>386387838
Not sure what any of that has to do with what the post he replied to. >>386385765
Which said,
>Harry Potter and the Marvel series' don't really lend themselves to talky, battley RPGs do they?

Please explain the relevance, since I don't think many people disagree that you need licences to make them.
>>
File: old.jpg (52KB, 600x837px) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
52KB, 600x837px
>tfw when too old for Harry Potter.

I was about 12 or 13 when Harry Potter began. I'm aware that as the series went on, it grew up with its audience and eventually became more oriented towards teens/young adults. But when the first book came out, it was very much aimed at 8-9 year-olds and I was too old for it. I'll never understand the fandom.

I did try to watch the films with an open mind. I hated them. It seemed to be a celebration of posh boarding school life. "School is cool!" it says. Well, I don't see how that is appealing to kids at all. A seasoned edgelord such as myself would never have appreciated that message, even in early childhood.

Anyway, another suggestion for a KOTOR style game: Total Recall. You play someone who has, like Quiad, gone for the Recall experience. Throughout the game, you are faced with moral junctions where you either go further into the dream or push against it.
>>
>>386389983
Is this pasta, or are you retarded all on your own
>>
>>386391403
It's pasta, and you're both retarded.
>>
>>386391610
I'll take it. I'm just waiting for my Dead by Daylight match to start
>>
>>386385130
Star Wars just is a great basis for stuff like that, cause there is so much of it. You can tell pretty much any kind of story in the universe without ever stepping on anyones toes.
>>
>>386385130
they aged like shit tho
>>
>>386392021
>Star Wars just is a great basis for stuff like that, cause there is so much of it. You can tell pretty much any kind of story in the universe without ever stepping on anyones toes.

That's not the real reason why you are not "stepping on anyone's toes".

You can make up any tawdry fanfiction you like about Star Wars because it was never taken seriously to begin with. It was always pure commercial pulp, and it has a long history of total shit in its Expanded Universe. If you make something like KOTOR, there's a good chance you will actually improve on what came before.

Try doing the same with Tolkien and you see people getting very upset (e.g. Shadows of Mordor.)
>>
File: words.jpg (685KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
words.jpg
685KB, 1988x3056px
>>386385765
The X-men certainly can be talky
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.