[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happened to games that you could just... play? Why does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

File: 1368523356222.gif (596KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
1368523356222.gif
596KB, 299x299px
What happened to games that you could just... play?
Why does the vast majority of games these day force you into a Skinner's Box?

These days, even a lot of single player games look like this
>gameplay is decent, or even a lot of fun
>but to progress through the game, you have to do repeat bullshit, most commonly kill the same enemies for what can be hours on end depending on item drop luck
>to be any relevant at all in later parts of the game, you need to grind even harder, you have to dedicate yourself into complete changes of playstyle just to grind more efficiently, it's all about the grind and the RNG to get that thing you need to be able to go back to having fun

The sickening part is where some of these games are genuinely a lot of fun to play, but in the end all of the above bullshit overshadows it more and more until I just give up and move on, ruining the entire experience and making me regret spending my time on it.
>>
>>386342018
I can't think of a single game that's fun to play that is a skinner box
>>
>>386342394
Here are some games of recent (last few years) memory that I finally got sick of, even though I absolutely loved playing them until realization hit in:
>Black Desert Online
>Terraria
>Path of Exile
>Dungeon Defenders
>Binding of Isaac, even worse in Rebirth
>Nioh
>XCOM 2 isn't grindy bullshit as much as it just rolls the dice on immediately killing off your whole squad and forcing you to restart
>Borderlands series at later difficulties
>Hearthstone
>WoW
>>
>>386342791
>Nioh
Nioh is a skinners box?
>>
>>386342018
It sounds like you just don't like RPG grinding, is that it?
Don't play RPG's, bam you're golden. I get the feeling you're more of a Freespace 2 kind of man, rather than Freelancer 2.
>>
>>386342018
>games you could just....play?
Because not everyone wanted to play Tetris and Snake for the rest of their lives
>>
>>386342791
>terraria
M8
>>
Because people dont want to play video games. Skinner boxes are for people with no real life goals or motivation to sink their time into some artifical timesink. Games like PUBG and Overwatch are just played because "well its popular and uhh yea".. Games that focus purely on self improvement do not have large enough audience to be part of the big titles.
>>
>>386342814
In Nioh you can survive the first difficulty just fine by picking up the already randomized drops you get through the game, but it's usually enough to live on.
In any of the NG+es it has, and especially the recent DLC's two new ones, it goes complete apeshit with the RNG drops and if you don't want to spend literal minutes fighting ONE REGULAR GUY with a constant threat of dying in ONE HIT, you have to grind up that gear. Oops, didn't get the reforge stat upgrades you wanted before you ran out of cash and materials? Better go grind again!

>>386342817
Could be. Why does so many RPGs force the grind though?
Of recent memory the only RPG (or at least game I count as one; leveling up, finding loot to upgrade, allocating stats) I can think of that just sticks with me through every replay is the Souls series. The only real grind you have to do there is killing enemies for their souls (currency).

>>386342914
Even if it's lazy, AFK farms still count m8.
>>
>>386343081
>Work all day
>Come home
>Cathartically start wiping out mobs from one side of the map to the other
I think the imaginary motivations you have for people are cute, but are about as close to real human behaviour as realty TV.
>>
>>386343191
Because, anon, RPG's are defined by character building. There was a pretty significant amount of grinding in dark souls as well. I think you're looking for shorter, more linear games and there's no shame in that.
>>
>>386343269
its very normal to work and have no goals and then continue it with doing even more repeatitive tasks after you get home
>>
>>386343363
No, Anon, in none of the Souls games do I ever "need" to go grind something. You get upgrades along the path, more than enough to max out your favorite starting weapon if you so wish, and it's always going to carry you through the final cutscene if you feel like it's fun enough to use. Even then, a lot of players haven't even seen a Slab before killing the last boss in either game, because it isn't required to do so. "Get good" became a meme for a reason, but "get good" doesn't apply to games where you can't defeat the bosses by just playing good, instead you have to grind until your character can survive it.
>>
>>386343363
Oh and
>shorter
>more linear
I don't feel like that's relevant. A game can go on for thousands of hours if it's just fun enough. It immediately stops being fun enough when you are locked out of the fun though.

I've played TF2 for almost 3000 hours, for instance. There is no such thing as an RNG grind to just play that game. Matches are short, I guess it's expected in an FPS game, but it's replayable infinitely.
TF2 I've only gotten tired of because of lack of good updates, and idiotic removals of things everyone took for granted would stay. Not because of an item grind. (Well, technically items drop on an RNG platter, but you've almost always been able to just spend less than one dollar to obtain every single weapon through effortless trading with bots. The issue here is how new players aren't given a clue that they can do so.)
>>
>>386343967
So wait what's the difference? Since there's nothing to work on in TF2 it's more accessible to you? How does that make any sense?
>>
>>386344271
>nothing to work on
See Anon this is exactly what I'm talking about. You shouldn't have to "work on" games to make them worth playing. Work isn't games. Grinding is essentially unpaid work.

TF2 was just an immediate thought I had, I haven't even played it for maybe a year thanks to the devs fucking up the server browser and other changes.
But what about it? To enjoy some TF2, you start it up and hop in on a server, and play because the gameplay is fun (or you don't if you don't like it, I'm not here to argue TF2's level of fun).
To enjoy some Nioh, you have to sit there and grind for literal hours to get an upgrade you need to be able to continue playing the game.

Well do I make any sense at all? I don't know anymore.
>>
Hell even more 'casual' games like Pokemon does this shit, don't it? I haven't played any recent one, but basically these days if you don't find the right one with the right stats, the right abilities, the right behavior or something, etc it goes right into the trash? And to top that off, if you want it in another color, you have to grind for shinies with like a 1/8000 chance or something?
>>
>>386345223
>basically these days if you don't find the right one with the right stats, the right abilities, the right behavior or something, etc it goes right into the trash
Only if you are a smogon tier touneyfag
>>
>>386342018
>>386342791
They are only Skinner's Boxes to people that play them for many hours every day.

Same with the open world hate.

Normal people play vidya 10-15 here and there.

Open worlds and grinding feel like quick escapes and distractions while they relax momentarily before moving on to tasks or hanging out with loved ones.

This is why don't get sick of it or feel like they are in engaged in a repetative action.
>>
>>386345516
Are you meaning to say that I play games too much, when it's the only form of entertainment that has stuck with me through life?
Like if I don't play an entertaining game, I sit around and wait until I get tired enough to go back to bed- and work, rinse repeat. I have nothing else to look forward to.

Although that's not really the point here. Just thought I'd... put down my thoughts on it?
>>
>>386344642
As someone already stated, you play the wrong games. I stop playing a game as soon as i feel like its "work", which happens very rarely. Also you might have just played too much and it started feeling like work, to which i can only suggest for you to go on a couple of days without touching a game.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.