[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

does anyone here use the thumbstick on these things in lieu of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: belkin_n52te.jpg (19KB, 449x389px) Image search: [Google]
belkin_n52te.jpg
19KB, 449x389px
does anyone here use the thumbstick on these things in lieu of WASD?

ever encountered any issues with them?

tempted to get one for GTA and Battlegrounds.
>>
>>386340907
don't waste your money
t. owner of one collecting dust
>>
I own the razer orbweaver, and i've used the logitech g13.

while I don't think they are bad, by any means, I'm not sure I would outright recommend spending your money on one unless you have a large disposable income, as most are only ergonomically beneficial, since even the ones that have analog sticks tend not to support actual analog input on most games that well.

I wrote up a short guide on the main different models on the market about a year ago on reddit, which you can find here: https://www.reddit.com/r/TwoBestFriendsPlay/comments/4yycv4/hey_woolie_i_saw_on_twitter_you_were_looking/?st=j60rnrt8&sh=6b85f292

The hori tactical assault commander pro/tacpro has since come out, but I haven't found any reviews for how well it works for PC gaming or how many games support the analog input so that's still a nebulous choice
>>
>>386342143
>>386340907
To straight up answer your main question: Using the d-pad on the orbweaver/tartarus instead of WASD feels much nicer, but, again, it's still a digital, not analog input.
>>
>>386341998
what put you off about it?

>>386342198
its not like WASD is an analogue input anyways. i just think i can improve my game if i freed up more keys for my fingers to press.
>>
>>386342378
>its not like WASD is an analogue input anyways.

Right, but my point is is that ideally, it would read the analog stick input the same way a game would read the input from an analog stick on a controller.

Why this didn't work for most games with the logitech g13, despite having a analog stick built into it, is that most games can only read inputs either in controller or KB+M mode.

You could set it up to read the analog input, but then the keys on the keypad part of it wouldn't be detected.

Some games did work with it though.
>>
>>386343495
i thought it was just a dpad with a nub on top.

duly noted that some games might get confused with it.

i think im going to try and get one and use WASD for motion but have more commands within reach of my thumb (crouch, sprint, prone, jump/vault).
>>
part of me wonders how bad one's hands would cramp up due to thumbstick placement.
>>
File: g13-gaming-gameboard-images.png (42KB, 521x342px) Image search: [Google]
g13-gaming-gameboard-images.png
42KB, 521x342px
I've used the one in your picture and the logitech g13. I thought that razer thing was a useless piece of shit. That circular bit for your thumb is a cheap plastic insert that plugs in on top of a dpad, and the dpad itself felt super stiff to me. I never really found a good use for the scroll wheel, so that was wasted real estate for me.

On the other hand, I really love my logitech g13 and I've been using it for like 5 years. It might look kinda strange in pictures, like the stick is positioned poorly for your thumb to use it, but it actually works pretty well once you put your hand on it.

>>386343495
It seems to work best as an analog stick games that will tolerate multiple input schemes simultaneously, like FFXIV off the top of my head. Other games that allow a joystick let you use the analog stick as that, so it works for those. I don't mind falling back to a WASD mapping when I have to, though.
>>
>>386345280
OP here, i think im going to have to change it up a bit and continue using WASD for movement but having more functions within thumbs reach still achieves the objective i was aiming for (more commands within reach).

>>386345326
is that stick analogue? or can you toggle it between analogue and dpad?
>>
>>386345326
im kind of liking the razer styled layout (thumb button in spacebar position but you can quickly use the dpad for commands).
>>
>>386340907
They really are useless, as soon as you get over the novelty factor you will get sick of having to move your keyboard and will just end up using the keyboard again.
>>
File: Capture.png (446KB, 673x488px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
446KB, 673x488px
>>386345591
The stick is analog but you can map the X+/X- and Y+/Y- inputs to WASD if you want. Pic is a screencap of the layout I use in battlefield where I use the stick as a joystick input. I just like being able to not have 3 of my fingers occupied by just movement all the time.
>>
>>386345903
I guess should add that my fingers rest on the G10-G13 keys normally.
>>
>>386345591
>more commands within reach
esdf remap's not enough?
>>
>>386345762
I've heard of some people using it that way, so more power to you. I was only interested in freeing up the fingers that I used for movement.
>>
File: cm storm.jpg (122KB, 800x468px) Image search: [Google]
cm storm.jpg
122KB, 800x468px
>>386345867
keyboard is similar to pic related so i think it will sit well between my mouse and a game keypad.
or i could just push it forwards and out of the way since my desk has a monitor shelf

>>386346158
ive tried that but the notch on the F key rustles my jimmies and i only gain one extra comfortable button press how that shift and A are within pinky finger range.

>>386345903
so far its a tossup between that g13 and the orbweaver.

g13s pro is that the thumb pad appears as if it works better for movement but the orbweavers pro is that seems better for preserving a more conventional layout and would require less re learning how to play your games.

im really torn on both of them now. sucks being poor otherwise i would just get both.
>>
>>386340907
Bought a razer orbweaver because of limited desk space.
Using it for movement makes moving and jumping at the same time difficult if you want jump to be the equivalent of space bar.
>>
>>386340907
I own the thing in the OP. It's okay but there is like a 5% chance of a bluescreen when switching profiles and the driver is kinda sketchy (your pc might detect it as malware) These things are only great for RTS and moba games. They also get greasy and collect dust very quickly. The thumbstick is very clunky and only has 8 keys to customize, it's not a smooth 360°.
>>
>>386347032
thinking of ditching the whole WASD replacement idea and having the extra commands on the thumb pad.

>>386347049
i didnt really want the exact same model as my OP picture. just wanted to know more about gaming keypads in general.

seems as if g13 and orbweaver are the favourites.

g13 seems to be better for freeing up fingers for more commands but the orbweaver seems like less of a learning curve and the extra functionality would be in the thumb now that its not limited to just a space bar.
>>
>>386342143
>reddit
>making guides for retarded gran cashing """gadgets"""

POTTERY.
>>
>>386347407
>thinking of ditching the whole WASD replacement idea and having the extra commands on the thumb pad.
Yeah it's much more suitable for things like interacting with objects, voice commands, switching weapons, switching button layout (don't know if other brands have it), opening menus and other things you don't need to do while jumping.
>>
>>386346973
Never used the orbweaver before, so I can't really comment. Does look nice just from the pictures though, especially the look of the stick. The website says it's an 8 way switch, which is definitely better than the one in the OP pic, but still a deal breaker for me.

Though, I'm not really seeing how it has a more conventional layout. Looks like you'd be doing the same thing where you have a home row for your 4 fingers and move them up and down a row. Plus you still have the problem where you can't jump with your thumb (space bar muscle memory).
>>
>>386347407
>>386347560
Ah well if you're ditching the movement replacement, then the picture becomes clearer.
>>
>>386347560
>I'm not really seeing how it has a more conventional layout

people are telling me that the orbweaver pad sucks for for movement and there is the jumping issue and its better to just use the thumbpad for alternate commands. g13 looks better if i do want to re learn it all but i would have to re learn jumping if the thumbstick cannot be pressed like a button (like a ps/xbox control).

ive never been this undecided before mang.
>>
>>386348352
>>386348357
Yeah I'm getting it now. Part of me wants to say that if only wanted to let my thumb push some extra commands, I wouldn't bother. However, I did buy into this for equally small, arguably dumb, reasons to begin with so I'm probably lying to myself.
>>
>>386340907
I love these things for mmos.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.