[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been considering getting this since I loved Majora's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

File: 91MEVIjA-UL._SL1500_.jpg (394KB, 1500x1372px) Image search: [Google]
91MEVIjA-UL._SL1500_.jpg
394KB, 1500x1372px
I've been considering getting this since I loved Majora's Mask and I haven't played it to death like I did OoT (only beat it twice like a decade ago, one was a 100% with a walkthrough).

As a fan, what would you say is better/worse than the original? Worth the $40?
>>
Good:
>Much better models and textures, and improved lighting/particles that with 1 exception (great bay temple) preserve the atmosphere and for the most part still feels creepy
>Gyorg fight is better
>Doesn't make you rewatch the business scrub cutscene
>Better framerate
>Song of double time allowing you to choose specific times to fast foward to.
>Gyro arrow controls
>Fishing
>if you have a n3ds/xl, you have camera rotation/control via c nub

Neutral:
>The bombers notebook is a little less obtuse and more organic to use, but it's also a little too helpful.
>Likewise, the save system is less obtuse, but allowing you to save without it being attached to going back in timee also removes some of the stress the game is meant to invoke, but you can impose thee limit artificially anyways.
>Twinmold fight is different but not better or worse. Some people like the change, some don't.
>Bank placement is moved

Bad
>Odolwa fight was made very easy, especially with the deku mask.
>Ice arrows can't be used just anywhere anymore.
>Zora swimming less fun, which outweighs the benefit of easier control in tight spaces.
>Bombers notebook pops up automatically and takes a while to do so, is annoying
>You have to get out of rolling as goron to hit Goht, but this isn't nearrly as bad as Odolwa's change
>It's harder to use the Deku spin to go faster (super minor thing to count against it, but it's there)
>Great bay temple's atmosphere is changed due to less gritty textures and brighter lighting

Overall, it's about on par with the original, with most of the good chanages canceling out the bad ones and vis versa.
>>
>>386315827
Awesome, thanks for the comprehensive response.
>>
Does it have a Master Quest equivalent, as in mirrored or double damage?
>>
>>386315705

the updated graphics alone make it worthwhile, go back and look at N64 screens... man it looks so much better on the 3ds it's not even funny

but there are a bunch of other, little things that are made better

the ONLY thing is that the save system is on easy mode, you can save without resetting the time cycle which makes the game WAY easier

Otherwise the game improves on the original
>>
>>386317263

nope
>>
>>386315827
>lighting of the rerelease
>preserve the atmosphere
Uhh, no. The remake's lighting and colors are completely fucked, bright, and cheery. Completely destroyed the atmosphere of the original imo, probably the second worse thing about it aside from the save system/time casualization
>>
>>386315705
The framerate's better and you get a second analog for camera control for New 3DS. They added the OoT fishing minigame.

I don't like any of the other changes. All of the boss fight mechanics were changed to be more straightforward and not freeform like the originals. The Bomber's Notebook changed from something that kept time and schedules to constant Planescape: Torment-esque your journal has updated pop-ups.

There's some really weird changes to the controls that are hard to explain. The transformations don't just work as well as they did on N64. Deku spin doesn't give you instant momentum, something about rolling feels off, Zora swimming was massively slowed down.

However the most offensive change to me is the time and save system. In the remake, you hard save at statues, instead of saving when you play the Song of Time. You can save and reset the console instead of using the in-game reset, which I think really hurts the premise of the game. You can also fast forward to any hour instead of in half-day increments. Coupled with the Bomber's Notebook change, it pretty much obviates the need for managing a schedule.

There's a few other minor changes that really bother me. Instead of getting the Bomber's Notebook from the Bombers in a clever sidequest, the HMS hands it to you for no reason as soon as you finish the first cycle. The observatory no longer has rainbow stairs. The Stone Mask is inexplicably in the middle of the Pirate's Fortress which both doesn't make sense and means that you're now required to stealth through it.

>>386317263
No.
>>
>>386317741

everyone complains about that but it didn't really bother me at all, yes it is brighter and more colorful but then the original was also foggy and blurry as fuck and ran at like 20 fps
>>
>>386315705
It's shit.
>lighting is cheery and colorful as opposed to dark and atmospheric
>every time you talk to someone the game gives you fucking skyrim tier guides on how to resolve any related sidequest
>boss fights have been casualized to hell and back, especially odolwa who is basically now a joke
>entire atmosphere is destroyed by new save system removing all tension and challenge from the game
>Tatl's whole personality has been changed to be less snarky and more "helpful", never shuts up
>new animations are just bad
>lots of the new textures are way more generic and boring than they were in the original
>zora swimming is no longer fun
>ice arrows are no longer fun
At least it runs in 60 fps am I right /v/ros
>>
>>386318521
No faggot, it runs at 30 fps.
That invalidates the rest of your points.
>>
>>386316449
Please don't take him seriously, he's a fucking shill.

The remake is fucking horrible.
>>
File: 1451594479951.jpg (65KB, 321x325px) Image search: [Google]
1451594479951.jpg
65KB, 321x325px
>>386318676
>it's not even in 60 fps
That's even worse than I thought. What in the absolute fuck were Nintendo thinking?
>>
Hmmm, okay. Judging from what everyone is saying it sounds like I'm not going to get it unless it goes for a pretty steep discount (who am I kidding, nintendo amirite). If I can find it used or something for cheap I'll get it, if not I guess I'll just have to use emulators to relive the experience.
>>
>>386319558
My nigga. I get so triggered when people buy sub-par remasters when they can just emulate the game.

Personally I've wanted to replay MM for years but I've been waiting for Hypatia's texture pack. There's another pack being made this year too that looks even better in some ways.
>>
>>386317741
>>386318521

Notice how nobody actually has screenshots to prove this, because it's not true. The great bay temple is literally the only location that's more then negligibly lighter or has a different mood.
>>
>>386319558

you're being dumb, read the Iwata Asks on Majora's Mask 3D and see if you don't want to give it a chance:

http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/majoras-mask-3d/0/0
>>
>>386319838
Ah, good point with the texture packs, not even something I had considered. This kind of solidifies my decision for me.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (30KB, 1079x338px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
30KB, 1079x338px
>>386320170
>Notice how nobody actually has screenshots to prove this, because it's not true.
Now this is grasping.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJI_5jAnI8

Nobody has screenshots because it's an established fact the MM remaster is pure garbage. Not even OOT3Drones refute that.
>>
>>386320170
>one google search away
>even in the opening cutscene the dreary grey forest has been replaced with a mystical fucking blue glowing red mushroom wonderland
But it looks prettier, so it's better!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzJI_5jAnI8
>>
>>386320305
0c have been added to your account.
>>
>>386317741
I think if the game was as dark as it was on the 64 it would have really bad ghosting problems in 3d
>>
>>386320447
>>386320397
That's not actually fucking brighter though
>>
>>386320397
>>386320447
This looks fine, though? All that changed is the distance fog got lessened so it's clearly and it's a bit bluer. The tone of the scene and lighting is exactly the same.

Likewise, the scene in the cave and inside the clock tower are both just as dimmly lit and have the exact same mood as well

You are just being autists.
>>
>>386320987
>>386321103
(You).
>>
>>386320447
this is fine you autismo.
>>
>>386320447
I actually don't mind the lighting/color changes as much as I mind the dialogue changes. Game looks completely fine desu but at the moment I'm not willing to spend $40 on it.
>>
>>386320987
>>386321103
The background is literally radiating blue from bloom and there are bright red giant mushrooms and shit all over the place. If you don't like majora's mask and it's atmosphere, that's fine. The remake still did an objectively awful job of translating it and pretending it's the same is just being disingenuous.
>>
>>386321409
Majora's Mask is my favorite game of all time, solely because of it's oppressive atmosphere, though.

>radiating blue

And that's not a fucking problem, it makes it look surreal and othewordly. It's not actually bright, it's still dark, it's just not dull and grey. The great bay, temple, actually had the dullness and grayness be an important part of it's mood and it having the blue glow in question DOES hurt the atmosphere. But it's not a problem for the opening scene or any other part of the game.

>Red mushrooms
Which were there in the original, too.
>>
File: red mushrooms.png (469KB, 853x319px) Image search: [Google]
red mushrooms.png
469KB, 853x319px
>>386321679
>bright red mushrooms were in the original
No they weren't you colorblind fucking faggot, they were a muted brown. Pic related. And that is indeed an incredibly bright blue and it completely fucks the atmosphere. This >>386320397 isn't oppressive, it's downright inviting.
>>
>>386321679
I cannot believe how obsintate you are being in the face of overwhelming visual evidence. Is your monitor not calibrated right?
>>
>>386318521

Oh knock it the fuck off
>>
File: 064[1].png (56KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
064[1].png
56KB, 400x240px
The original is better because the remake is what happens when Aonuma doesn't have another Director to rein in his bullshit.

>I ALWAYS THOUGHT THE BOSSES WERE WEIRD
>HOW DID YOU KNOW HOW TO FIGHT THEM ON THE N64
>I FIXED THAT
>>
>>386323973
This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder if Aonuma just lost his mind or if he was never that involved in Majora's Mask.
>>
>>386323973
>>HOW DID YOU KNOW HOW TO FIGHT THEM ON THE N64

You could use Z-targeting to ask your fairy.
Or just figure it out, because most kids aren't that retarded.

But no, go ahead and ruin best boss by putting a huge organic eyeball on a mechanical beast
>>
>>386324348
I'm fairly sure that Majora's was a passion game he made within a year because Nintendo wanted him to make Ura Zelda and he was violently against making a remix of a game as opposed to a whole new game.
>well can you make a whole new game in a year?
>fuck you yes I can
Hence the smaller scope of MM and all the reused assets. It probably made him very sad when it wasn't as popular as ocarina of time because of casuals not being able to figure out the game, so he went overboard with the 3ds remake trying to make it more accessible to the modern market with eyeballs, bomber's notebook spam and castrated time/saving mechanics etc.
>>
>>386323973
I played MM i dont remember that boss, where do you fight him?
>>
>it's not dark&edgy enough like my sense of humor
Nostalgiafaggotry, not even once.
>>
>>386323973
>>386324525
>>386324689
Jesus Christ you sound like the most stuck-up, entitled, whiny little pricks on the planet

The SINGULAR thing changed about the Goht fight is that you have to shoot an eye when you knock him down instead of swinging at him. That's it. That's such a minimal difference in gameplay that I can't believe the number of panties it's managed to bunch up.
>>
>>386320397
warmer colors and more dark areas with actual black shodows, it looks good
>>
>>386325175
>le entitlement meme
>accept shit changes for no other reason than brand loyalty or you're whiny, guzzle that corporate cock
Back to neofags with you. It's a minor gameplay change in the instance of the Goht battle, but it's much more significant in the other battles and it's also goofy as fuck. Having a generic video game weak spot for no reason completely screws the atmosphere and immersion up.
>>
>>386325175
Who ever swung at him in the first place? Just stay in Goron spike mode and continue ramming his ass. The entire fight could be completed just by running into him. No mask removal necessary.
>>
File: 250px-SoulSilver_EN_boxart.jpg (26KB, 250x228px) Image search: [Google]
250px-SoulSilver_EN_boxart.jpg
26KB, 250x228px
i dont want to start a new thread so i think this fits in here.
i found soul silver in some game store for 120. comes with original box.
worth it? seems kind of pricey.
>>
>>386326354
Yeah, that one is actually a really good remake unlike the crock of shit that is OP. Probably the best pokemon games. 120 is expensive but likely the only way you'll get the pokewalker, so if you care abput that I say go for it
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.