[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are these games actually good? I never played them cause I never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 6

File: crash.jpg (135KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
crash.jpg
135KB, 1280x720px
Are these games actually good? I never played them cause I never owned a PS1 or PS2
>>
Yeah, they're pretty much the Dark Souls of platformers.
>>
>>386287837
So, only the first two are good, and the third and all spinoffs blow?
>>
>>386287930
Third is good, CTR is the best, Crash Bash is serviceable, good if you have mates to play it with.
>>
>>386287353
I guess the pickings for good platformers on PS4 are kind of slim, so if you want to play something pretty average then go for it.
>>
>>386287353
Pretty good as far as platformers go.
>>
>>386289190
Dam accurate
>>
I'm torn between this and Nier Automata.
>>
>>386287353
I was in the same boat as you, OP. Just finished the trilogy, never had a PS1.

I found them to be pretty mediocre at best and in Crash 1's case, genuinely bad. You don't know shit level design until you play Road to Nowhere. Honestly, I have no idea how the franchise took off if this was the best platforming the PS1 had to offer.
>>
>>386289559
As in your torn between which one you should purchase?
>>
>>386289390
I'm not really looking for a platformer specifically, I just remember people liking it in the 90s and am asking for more opinions on whether they're any good.

I mean, if they bothered to do a remaster in the first place, that's usually a good sign, but whatever.
>>
>>386289720
My exact thoughts after playing them for the first time. They're not good games. Pic related.
>>
>>386287353
>he started gaming in the 7th gen
Wew
>>
>>386289771
Yeah.
>>
They're great.
>>
>>386289775
Well put it this way - Mario 64 was so much better that Naughty Dog just said "fuck it" and decided to copy that games formula with their next game instead of continuing to take their own twist on 3D platformers.
>>
>>386287353
I bought it having only played the 3rd one, and they all are solid platformers that will probably surprise you with their level of difficulty in places.
>>
>>386289938
I'd say Nier. Personally wasn't a fan of it but a lot of other people loved it and it's a much more interesting game than Crash.
>>
>>386287353

They're good. Simple yet challenging to 100%, and in Crash 1's case, just plain challenging in general, but nothing that'd put off someone determined to see it through to the end. If you've ever played something like Donkey Kong Country then you'd dig Crash.
>>
>>386290051
You literally have no idea what you are talking about. That nintendo cock must be buried deep in your rectum
>>
>>386289938
Buy both?
>>
>>386290201
Challenging because of bad camera angles and weird collision detection that requires pinpoint precision (in a 3D platformer that doesn't have particularly precise jumping in the first place). I'd say it's more jank than anything.
>>
>>386290353
I don't know what you're talking about. I love the Jak games a lot.
>>
>>386287837
pls dont compare a wholesome game like crash to that edgelord shit
>>
>>386290462
>I'd say it's more jank than anything.
Yeah, I can't tell you how many absolute bullshit deaths occurred on my play throughs from this.

r/ing that one webm showing how the game pushes you forward without you even touching the controls
>>
yes they are very good. im sad i cant play them on pc. im never buy a ps4.
>>
>>386290462

Bad camera angles? Seriously? When the camera is right over your head like in Cortex Power, then sure, but in nearly every other level as long as you pay attention to your shadow there shouldn't be any problems, and even then you rarely actually HAVE to do it. Platforming is tight to the point where you can seriously steer yourself in the air mid-jump to correct mistakes.
>>
>>386290808
Not seen that webm, but I'm interested.
>>
Lovely trip down nostalgia lane with a few minor setbacks for people who did play them back then and a throwback to a time you may or may not have missed if you didn't. They're certainly of a different era with more animal mascots and less handholding, that's for sure. For me, I had more fun with this trilogy than I do most modern games so I'd say they're good but I also grew up with them.
>>
>>386290923
Maybe I just suck at the game then.
>>
>>386289190
That Crash Ball stage in Crash Bash where you can repel balls is the fucking best.
>>
>>386291025

I don't know if you're using the D-Pad, but I prefer it over the analog controls. It might help since the OG games used it.
>>
>>386289934
>you're required to have owned a PS1 and a PS2 if you started gaming in 1993

My family was poor, faggot. I only got one console per gen, and it was always Nintendo for me cause Mario 1 was the shit.
>>
>>386290353
You can be a mindless Nintendo hater all you want, doesn't change the fact that Mario 64 was revolutionary and changed the whole platforming genre while also being amazing.
>>
>>386290874

Its coming to PC dumbass.
>>
>>386291323
I did for the first Crash. 2 and 3 felt a lot easier to control for the most part.
>>
>>386287353
>tfw you started with Genesis
>tfw you went N64 in 5th gen
>tfw you went GC & PC in 6th
>tfw you went Wii, 360 and PC in 7th
>tfw you're PC, Wii U, Switch and PS4 now
>tfw your finally catching up on all these Sony IPs/"exclusives" and realizing you honestly didn't miss out on much
Was Naughty Dog always this piss poor at level design? Because I distinctly remember people loved Crash back in the day because of the visuals, not so much the gameplay.
>>
>>386291867

I think the first game has really tight level design that's also fundamentalist to a fault - aside from the occasional foreground/background fuckery there's little there you can't find in a 2D platformer before its time. Crash 2 & 3 expanded the mechanics so the raw platforming became much easier to break, though in the case of 2 its hidden routes are some of the most challenging sections across the entire trilogy.
>>
>>386291867
Jak was their first good game. I think a lot of Playstation owners liked it because 3D platformers were a new thing at that point, so the standards were lower.
>>
>>386289720
They're honestly far from the best the PS1 has they're just the one's everyone played back then.
>>
>>386291867

Crash 1 was basically them working in the dark. They hadn't made a platformer yet, and literally no one else had a 3D one during
development, so it was a huge learning process. With Crash 2 they definitely had it down.

I'd say Uncharted 2 is the studio's finest game to date in terms of level design. Despite its realistic setting the levels are creatively put together and flow from area to area is immaculate. It's almost like the realism is a barrier put on the team to think outside the box, kind of like how technical limitations accomplished the same thing generations ago.
>>
>>386292549
If Crash 2 was the first in the series and they went from there, getting creative with enemy designs and not including garbage vehicle levels, the Crash games could've been pretty great.
>>
File: Crash_Compare.webm (3MB, 746x420px) Image search: [Google]
Crash_Compare.webm
3MB, 746x420px
>>386290808
>>386290947
>>
>>386293686
They didn't change any of the level design to accommodate this? What a fuck up.
>>
>>386293931

Road to Nowhere and High Road are the only levels where it's really a pain in the ass. It's not unbearable elsewhere.
>>
>>386287353
you mean you are underage?
>>
if you didn't play crash you are either a grandpa or underage
>>
>>386294230

You are now aware that the PS2 turns 18 next year.
>>
>>386294230
>>386294268

See
>>386291329
>>
>>386291427

Mario 64 literally killed the platformer genre for almost 2 decades
>>
>>386289938
Automata. You can emulate Crash on any toaster and get mostly the same experience, and Automata is the Game of the Decade so far.
>>
>>386294584
How so? Jak, Ratchet and Sly were all good and so were Sunshine and Galaxy.
>>
>>386294445
so? you only play consoles on release?
on the last ~5 years you could bought one for piss cheap and you can emulate PS1 in any shit pc/laptop since a long time ago
>>
>>386294584
Yeah, because it was perfection at the time and nobody could figure out a way to make a better platformer, so they stopped being made.
>>
>>386294584
>>386294905

3D platformers are aberrations that suck out all the challenge and fun of their superior 2D counterparts, things like DKTF and Crash get a pass because of their linear design but every 2D Mario shits on 64
>>
File: IMG_0756.jpg (1MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0756.jpg
1MB, 4032x3024px
>>386287837
Why do people pretend like these games are hard?
Are modern games so easy that kids today complain when they don't get a gold leaf after they die a few times.
>>
>>386295047
I like 64 more than any 2D Mario.
>>
>>386287353
They're fun, but not very challenging unless you're 12.

Just use an emulator if you want to try them.
>>
>>386294881
Why would I buy a PS1 when I can just play re-releases and new games on PS4?
>>
>>386287353
>Are these games actually good?
The original games are yes, and you can easily emulate them on just about any computer. The PS4 remakes are garbage.
>>
First one's a solid 8/10
Second one's great except for gimmick levels like the digging and jetpack ones, a good 7/10
Third one is pretty much exclusively gimmick levels. Not nearly as bad as an ACTUAL bad game like M&Ms kart racer or some shit, but not as good as the first two games. 6/10.
>>
Would you want to see VV have their hand at their own Crash game considering they made the GBA games, this collection and had to come up with the Brio bonus room?
>>
>>386295549
>The PS4 remakes are garbage
I want to say "they're literally the exact same," but I'm not the only one that thinks the hitboxes are fucked. Crash slides off of ledges and misses enemies in ways he absolutely did not in the originals.
>>
>>386295717
I kept reading about the turtles and the Road to Nowhere-type stages and thought reviewers were just salty casuals, but Crash legitimately feels different now. It feels like he has weird contours around the edges rather than just being a flat prism.
>>
File: crash.jpg (78KB, 640x638px) Image search: [Google]
crash.jpg
78KB, 640x638px
>>386287353
they average platformers that people who played them as kids love. it's pretty simple
>>
>>386290785
>that edgelord shit

S you legitimately haven't played the games and are just going off the memes? I don't think I've actually played anything with more optimistic or dignified NPC characters.
>>
>>386295717
It's not just the hitboxes though, the loading times are massively increased, the music and sound effects are worse than the original and the new graphics are just ugly - the characters and world of Crash weren't designed to look good in high-poly HD.
>>
>>386295224
Same here.
>>
>>386287353
Majorit7 of /v/ says no.
The rest of the internet says yes.

They're fun and challenging obstacle course platformers with no hand-holding, so give them a spin.
>>
>>386294584

Mario 64 was only like 20% platformer. What it popularized was a sort of action adventure-esque sandbox variant with a little more jumping than usual. Strangely enough, Sunshine's FLUDD-less sections are much better representations of a 3D platformer than pretty much anything in 64. Shame that's a such a small proportion of that game too.
>>
>>386296863
>Majorit7

Majority. The the fuck did I make that typo?
>>
>>386296863

>Majorit7 of /v/ says no.

It's more split down the middle than a hard no. Plenty of people here liked the remakes.
>>
>>386296949

7 is just above y on the keyboard. Honest mistake.
>>
>>386296983
So just like how D44M splits the board as well? It's scary how similar the situation has become.
>Both game reveal trailers got a lot of back lash
>Promotional material up to release looked better but still worrying
>Game comes out and everything seems a lot better
>Board is split

I wonder what will be the next game to do such a thing.
>>
It's funny how when the game came out, /v/ was flooring over this game on how fun it is and posting memes about it.

But ever since the video about the hit-boxes came out, the attitude here did a complete 180 and now half of the people hate it, lol.
>>
>>386297337
This just in, people cannot think for themselves. More news at 11
>>
File: crash bandicoot plats.png (72KB, 819x202px) Image search: [Google]
crash bandicoot plats.png
72KB, 819x202px
>>386297337

I liked it and I'm not about to backpedal on that. Fuck the time trials, though. Gold was good enough for me.
>>
>>386297337
I really wish everyone who expressed "/v/ is one person" shit would be banned.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.