[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did sony end up crushing microsoft and nintendo in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

How did sony end up crushing microsoft and nintendo in the console market?
>>
>>386285760
By making a superior console with desirable exclusives
>>
>>386285760
Were you born in 2013?
With the exception of last gen Sony always did that.
>>
This question's been answered a million times by now, no hyperbole - Nintendo and Microsoft shot themselves in the foot with their console launch while Sony did nothing ambitious and put out a box that did the things you'd expect a console to do. Well, that's simplifying it a bit but that's the general idea anyways.
>>
>>386285760
Sonyfag nintendo is better!
>>
Marketing
>>
>>386286141
>This question's been answered a million times by now,
> Nintendo and Microsoft shot themselves in the foot
So what you're saying is that the wrong answer has been given over and over again?
Because if your theory is true then Nintendo/MS shot themselves in the foot in 5th and 6th gen too. Next say you'll say the same thing again when PS5 dominates the market once more. Blaming others is easier than giving credit to the top dog, isn't it?
>>
>>386285760
By putting forth a bare minimum of effort while not designing the console solely around fucking their customers in the ass as a business model.
>>
>>386285760
Because the other two horrendously fucked up. If Microsoft hadn't shit the bed at E3 2013 and Nintendo had just made a Wii 2 that was more powerful and done some actual non-shit marketing, it would be a lot closer than it is now.
>>
>>386286883
>if your theory is true then Nintendo/MS shot themselves in the foot in 5th and 6th gen too

But they did
>>
>>386287853
It's ok to think that, because the end result is the same, you still need to applaud Sony for not fucking up, because apparently that's a VERY rare and hard thing to do.
A) If you think Sony did a good job then they deserve your praise.
B) If you think Sony didn't do anything special but the other companies consistently fucked up for over 20 years then Sony STILL deserves your praise. Everything's relative, so regardless of excuses Sony is clearly doing something better compared to others.

A = B
>>
File: 1498002717338.jpg (61KB, 565x910px) Image search: [Google]
1498002717338.jpg
61KB, 565x910px
>>386286883
But it's true man.
>here's a home console, you can play games with it
That's what we expect from them. Financing excellent franchises is a solid plus, of course, but this isn't really mandatory.
>>
>>386285760
They sat and saw Nintendo and Microsoft crush themselves then released some games.
>>
Sony has most of the same games as Xbox, but has a global presence.

MS fans switched to Sony when their friends did because of the 1080p/900p difference.

MS makes the best controller of the console makers, but cant do anything else right besides fuck the industry, until the PC thing happened, and now theyre fucking themselves.

x1 and ps4 both suck overall tho. paid online and medicore 30fps games are a ripoff
>>
>>386288784
That's not the case at all.
Nintendo's fuckup with their consistency is more than obvious. Their next systems aren't always a generation above their previous one in terms of power which really screws up with developers as they can't rely on Nintendo whatsoever when developing new engines (there's always an expectation of more power, which won't be there half the time with Nintendo systems) and the format they use is completely random and unpredictable (starting from N64: cartridges to mini-discs to DVD's to DVD's... back to cartridges again with Switch) which is also another factor developers hate.

BUT
Microsoft does what you said just fine. They create a new system (always a generation above the old one in power, something Devs can plan for and rely on) and use the expected format (DVD's > Blu-ray, so swapping in and out of discs or using weird format like mini-discs), however MS consoles don't sell nearly as much as Sony's and the Xbox brand is much weaker worldwide.
If all it took was:
>here's a home console, you can play games with it
There'd be no difference between Xbox and Playstation. To me it seems like the factor you consider to be an optional bonus (good 3rd party relashionships, a healthy group of 1st parties, and all around financing and support software-wise) is actually the most important.
>>
By being the best.
>>
>>386285760
microsoft killed themselves
nintendo made shit decisions
>>
>>386289801
>To me it seems like the factor you consider to be an optional bonus (good 3rd party relashionships, a healthy group of 1st parties, and all around financing and support software-wise) is actually the most important.

Sorry if I made it look like it was a secondary thing, I believe that this makes a huge difference. That's the thing that made me choose PS over Xbox.
Let me try to reiterate;

Making consistent consoles is what we expect from these companies, yes, haivng good 3rd parties relationships and good 1st party groups like you mentioned is an excellent thing, but not mandatory. Sony could very well choose to change their focus like Microsoft did back in the 360 era with their Kinect shit (something I hope they ditch with scorpio, they are in desperate need to heal their brand).
But they didn't. Sony chose to focus on what their consoles were made for. That's why the Playstation brand is so successful, that's why they crush their competitors, and to be honest, they deserve all of this, even with all their flaws (ie, paid online with bad service, region favoritism, shit customer support, etc).
That's pretty much my take on it.
>>
File: 1481427364023.png (136KB, 750x356px) Image search: [Google]
1481427364023.png
136KB, 750x356px
>>386291801
Thread almost fucking died, had to post early.

So yeah, instead of just making a console where we can play current gen games with it, a thing that I believe we all expect companies to do (except for Nintendo for reasons you have already perfectly summed up), they consistently improve the industry by financing not only good franchises, but the developing of new technologies that make sense to the game industry.
>>
>>386291801
>>386292402
There ain't much I can disagree about
>>
File: susansarandon15.jpg (659KB, 1280x1854px) Image search: [Google]
susansarandon15.jpg
659KB, 1280x1854px
>/v/ hates PS4
>Sold 64 million anyway

What happened bros?
>>
because microsoft keeps making shit like the xbox one x S one X s box
>>
>>386285760
Fuck YES! Go SONY! Go SONY! Go SONY!
They have officially unJUSTed themselves!
>>
Nintendo is going to catch up anyways
>>
>>386294512
Not at this rate. Nintendo is fucked, they released another shitty kiddie tablet instead of a powerful gaming console. Sony knows what real vidya gamers want.
>>
File: 1500599123917.png (90KB, 628x750px) Image search: [Google]
1500599123917.png
90KB, 628x750px
>>386294512
hehe
>>
>>386294629
why not just get a PC then
>>
File: 1493338501472.png (637KB, 637x510px) Image search: [Google]
1493338501472.png
637KB, 637x510px
>>386293975
/v/ has literally zero influence whatsoever over the market, and cannot dictate what sells and what doesn't, which is why that's the best part. I get to watch every other day a board full of cry baby bitches whine and complain about a culture they think they can control, That's why there's so many screaming autistics in PUBG, confused as to why people enjoy a popular game. /v/ is always destined to be that loser who thinks they know better that nobody likes to hang around.
When they try to make friends with like minded people, but realize the echo chamber isn't fun on the other side, only then does it begin to wane on them like a cancerous tumor.
>>
>end up

It started out doing that ever since the PS1.
>>
File: 5thgenlogos.png (61KB, 1372x774px) Image search: [Google]
5thgenlogos.png
61KB, 1372x774px
>sony takes advantage of their major competitors fucking up
where have i seen this before...
>>
>>386285760
by letting the competition annou nce their shit first, then look at the comments and ommit things people didnt like from their own presentation. thus looking like the good guys.

they done this year after year.
>>
>>386295454
>
I know you motherfuckers aren't rewriting history so far back as to say Nintendo fucked up in the N64 days. No, Nintendo had the better hardware of the three and games. Sony came and kicked them in the balls.
>>
>>386285760
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39pK2MV_sfs

By not being either.
>>
>>386285952
>By making a superior console with desirable exclusives
I assumed you were talking about Sony until you implied they had more than one exclusive.
>>
>>386295753
>Nintendo had the better hardware of the three
HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH
>>
>>386296197
Yeah. N64 had more ram then the PSOne, and was generally better. Sony had CD based disc which allowed for more memory.
>>
>>386295753
N64 had shit hardware and shit games as a result.
>but muh power
Doesn't matter, the thing sucked to program for, which is why every game on it runs like crap and many devs simply jumped to Playstation to avoid the headache. Plus, lolcartridges because Nintendo wanted to nickel and dime the consumer.
>but muh innovaytive games
Lack of 2d stuff is painful, and most of the games are mediocre as fuck and only liked because of epic-at-the-time graphics when they were too young to have owned a PC.
>>
>>386296320
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.