[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The growing trend of remake culture bothers the fuck out of me.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

File: Unreal-Engine-GDC-Reel-2016-1.jpg (90KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Unreal-Engine-GDC-Reel-2016-1.jpg
90KB, 1280x720px
The growing trend of remake culture bothers the fuck out of me. More and more I see people saying "Dude, wouldn't it be cool if they REMADE that game with modern graphics?"

Have we gotten to the point now that we're so afraid of something new that sequels don't cut it? We literally have to go back and overhaul old games we already know we like, what the fuck does that say about the industry and us? Take that Shadow of the Colossus Remake for example. Bluepoint is a super talented developer and SotC still looks pretty fucking good for a PS2 game; and now they're gonna remake it, not remaster it, remake it. No new content or anything, just gonna put millions and millions of dollars into a facelift. Maybe Bluepoint has some super talented people just waiting to have a go at their own game? We won't know, because they're stuck making a classic that came out over a decade ago all over again.

I know I'm farting in the wind here by complaining about this industry, but fuck man. Is this really what we should be asking for?
>>
>>386284480
Well, the old final fantasy titles are the best ones, would you rather risk to get another FFXV?
>>
>>386284480
> Is this really what we should be asking for?
Of course not, but if we ask for something different then we may get something we won't like. Why take that risk?
>>
>>386284595
If modern Square makes shitty new games,. what's stopping them from making shitty remakes?
>>
>>386284480
Remakes existed 20 years ago you retard
>>
I don't really take issue with FF7 Remake since it's something people have been clamoring for. Remakes like Shadow of the Colossus seem pointless though I agree.
>>
>>386284480
>The growing trend of remake culture bothers the fuck out of me.

It doesn't for me. FFVII has more potential to become a truly great game through a remake than the vast majority of titles and Square are right to take up this task at this point.
>>
I'm fine with the FF7 remake since it serves a function (completely new gameplay, extremely different art style, voice acting), but a Shadow of the Colossus remake with no new colossi is retarded-- unless they fix some of the bullshit in the first game, like how a couple colossi nigh-demand Dormin's tip to know how to beat, or how the game on normal is too easy.

Remakes have brought great things. Like Bionic Commando Rearmed and AM2R. Both of which make huge changes to the game.
>>
>>386284480
You're 100% right OP. Do we lack the capacity to try new things, so we'll just do things over and over again. I'd rather play a new and original experience that might disappoint, rather than go through the motions of places I've already been.
>>386284871
Why not? Variety is the spice of life, and status quo is the starch. Your level of thinking is what halts progress in the world. Your fear of the unknown and the possibility of disappointment is why you will never succeed.
>>
Only remakes I can really approve of is when the original team goes back and feel they want to do it like with Resident Evil Remake. Having different people try and recreate somebody else's vision just feels wrong to me.

FFVIIR will most likely be a total disaster. The warning signs are already there with CC2 getting laid off and the game being episodic. They are trying to turn a huge 90's JRPG into a modern ARPG and its just not gonna work.
>>
>>386284480
>Have we gotten to the point now that we're so afraid of something new that sequels don't cut it?
It's been like this in the industry for a long time
Publishers hate risks and they hate lack of sales.

Remakes are the second most safest thing you can do, the only way to be safer is to rerelease a game but in HD
>>
>>386284480
FF7R and .hack//GU: Last Recode look great. Remakes are fine when they actually build upon the original game. "Remakes" that just slap a filter over the original and call it a day are shit.
>>
File: PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_132312[1].jpg (280KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_132312[1].jpg
280KB, 1280x720px
>>386284480

I hate the Remake Meme. The vast majority of them don't capture the original in some way, be it visuals, or gameplay. They're typically forgotten about soon after while the original remains. Typically the remakes are done cheap as hell by some rented out studio, so you're getting a sloppy half-assed rushjob done for as cheaply as possible.

Rondo of Blood, Mega Man X, Mega Man 1, Crash, FF7, etc. All the remakes are lacking in some way and inferior to the originals.

I would love to see more "Rebuilds", that is, the game ported and/or rebuilt in a new engine and expanded upon with the old assets. Turok 1/2, and Wild Guns take this approach. They work more since they keep the original in-game assets, and build upon it,instead of remaking it. And they're actually cheap and even cheaper than even cheap full remakes. Win fucking win.

The only company taht seems to do remakes right is Falcom, since they either just take the original story but make a totally new game, or they just update the sprites but keep it very much the same.
>>
I want them to remake Smash Bros Melee!
>>
Remakes have always existed and will always exist. They're mostly stupid though and just speak of the general public's distaste for "old" things.
>>
>>386286003
I actually prefer PS1 Crash's looks to the new one. Not just because of the meme either. I wish people would start appreciating the graphics for these older games rather than constantly want better graphics. For some of these games so called lesser graphics actually improves the quality of the game. I like the low poly look. Then again maybe it is because I grew up so I have a better appreciation for it.
>>
>>386284480
This killed rock and it will kill videogames as you understand them as well. Expect this trend to continue for another decade though.
t. /mu/tant knower
>>
File: Sony on backwards compat.png (285KB, 629x991px) Image search: [Google]
Sony on backwards compat.png
285KB, 629x991px
>>386284480
>The growing trend of remake culture bothers the fuck out of me.
Hmm, I wonder why these have been popping up.
>>
>>386284595
But FFVII-R is FFXV wearing VII's skin.
>>
>>386286108
A remake of Melee would never be able to be fucked up in the right ways like the original and it would never catch on.

Meleefags are too far gone at this point.
>>
>>386286480
remember that sony didn't want RPG's on their system either and they got FFVII
>>
>>386286541
love this meme
>>
>>386286386
>I actually prefer PS1 Crash's looks to the new one.

Same here. Old Crash are talented devs pushing the PS1 to its limit. Nu-Crash is a cheap studio making a game in Unreal/Unity with the standard cheap look those engines produce (shiny, plastic, look). People want new graphics, but the studios can't spend much on them, so you get cheap/shitty looking games.
>>
>>386286480

He's probably just some idiot businessman who doesn't even like games. Most of these companies are stocked with people with no interest or background in gaming now.
>>
>>386287347
Technically speaking he's not wrong sadly. Statistics show that very little BC is used on Xbox One. There are some odd ones out like Black Ops 2 but mostly normalfags don't seem to care.
>>
>>386284480
I have immense appreciation for original titles, even if original IP doesn't necessarily mean an original title (e.g. Horizon).

But honestly, as someone who played a metric ton of games yet still missed lots, I also really appreciate being able to return to older games without going through the hassle of emulating them, which can involve a lot of fidgeting, visual glitches and so on. Remasters often come with extra shit, too. Not to mention remasters/remakes give me the opportunity to support the product in an attempt to encourage the developer to make more games done in that style.

I bought DMC4SE because of the bonus content and as my vote for more old style DMC games.

I think remakes/remasters have their place in the industry, so long as they're not lazily done or arbitrarily remove/change the source material too much. For example, I dislike the re-recorded music in FFX because it changes the music tracks outright.
>>
File: boxart-large.png (132KB, 264x241px) Image search: [Google]
boxart-large.png
132KB, 264x241px
>Remake is inferior to the original in some ways and superior in others.
>There's now no truly definitive version of the game.

Feels like this happens more often than it doesn't.
>>
>>386287601

Xbox has the most pleb audience, and the weakest libraries.
>>
File: cat face sad crop.jpg (17KB, 226x247px) Image search: [Google]
cat face sad crop.jpg
17KB, 226x247px
>>386288405
>no SM64DS 3ds port
>>
>>386288717
>>386288405

If Ninty was smart, they'd port their NDS/3DS remakes to the Switch, with better controls and other enhancements.
>>
>>386284595
>would you rather risk to get another FFXV?
You mean the actual best one?
>>
>>386286798
>Same here. Old Crash are talented devs pushing the PS1 to its limit. Nu-Crash is a cheap studio making a game in Unreal/Unity with the standard cheap look those engines produce (shiny, plastic, look).

I feel this way a lot about remakes, they might be working on stronger hardware but you can tell the talent behind it is nowhere near as strong.

Technically speaking Twin Snakes looks better than MGS1 but the art direction and presentation is just way better in the original.
>>
>>386286541
If it was it'd actually be good.
>>
>>386289205
>but you can tell the talent behind it is nowhere near as strong.

That's what I meant by cheap/rushjobs. You get some cheap studio to make a quick remake which pales in comparison. Their new assets really don't compare.

For 2D games that get full 3D remakes, a lot of them were on the PSP and other weaker systems. It's only very recently that 3d has caught up to 2D in terms of detail. You can make 3D games that look as detailed as 2D sprites, but that takes modern console tier power to do, and it's typically not worth it.
>>
File: 1501471290459.jpg (100KB, 587x193px) Image search: [Google]
1501471290459.jpg
100KB, 587x193px
new requires creativity.
the indy is dead.
>>
>>386286003
>All the remakes are lacking in some way and inferior to the originals.
>Rondo of Blood
Say what? DCX's 3d remake of Rondo was better in every way to the original.
>>
>>386287601
I presume enough are using BC on Xbone since I've started seeing older 360 titles in retail circulation again with a "XBOX 360 - XBOX ONE" banner on the top showing it plays on both.
>>
File: 1500754085037.jpg (52KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
1500754085037.jpg
52KB, 600x900px
NAME ONE GOOD ORIGINAL GAME AFTER 2013
>>
>>386284480

It's called organizations wanting to make money, and going with what works.
>>
>>386290062
Rocket League?
>>
>>386289042

Stop trying to impersonate XV-kun.
>>
>>386290062
bloodborne, has some flaws but art direction was god tier
>>
>>386287903
This thread wasn't so much about remasters as it was remakes.

Remasters have a degree of value because they make older games more accessible, remakes go beyond the call of duty and sometimes even hurt the game.
>>
Why can't we have both? Remakes and good new games?
>>
you say that but I see way less people asking for remakes of games than they did like ten years ago
>>
>>386290580
The line kind of blurs, it's rare that a game is outright remade from the ground up like they're doing it with VII. There's definitely not enough of "proper" remakes to make it a trend. It's a small part of the overall trend of nostalgia, which is bound to happen since the industry has aged to the point where we can indulge in nostalgia.

Take Tomb Raider Anniversary, that was a legitimate love letter to ye olde TR. Shadow of the Colossus is redundant because of the very recent HD remaster but it's still a great opportunity for people who skipped/missed out on the PS3 version. Content'll be kept the same and Bluepoint is a great HDifying dev, they did the PS3 remaster.

There are shitty remasters, there are shitty remakes and there are shitty original IPs. Remakes aren't shit intrinsically, they're shit if done poorly.
>>
>>386289843
>Say what? DCX's 3d remake of Rondo was better in every way to the original.

Except it's bland 3D pales to the original spritework. The PSP is just not powerful enough to do it justice.
>>
>>386291270
Why not focus completely on making new games while keeping the classics as they are?
>>
>>386284480
With FFVII a remake actually seems logical in some regards

Newbabys wont play it cause graphics aged like milk and too much reading. But it still holds a marketable interest and is still relevant enough to apease to nostalgia fags. We all know the remake will butcher parts but if nothing less, it will be an shiney introduction to a well made game of the past.
>>
>>386284595
FFXV was great though.
>>
>>386290298
That post is correct though.
>>
>>386292101
Why does it matter? If you object to a games remake, then don't play it. Nobodies taking the old version away from you.
If you're asking why a remake gets made in the first place, the answer is money, obviously.
>>
>>386292131
xv kun, pls
>>
>>386292489
Nomura-kun pls.
>>
>>386284595
I would prefer if they tried to make new games if that's what you're asking. Yeah XV failed at being what it was supposed to be. Take the loss, take the good parts, and move forward with the series.
>>
It's not that we are "afraid" of new things. We just like old things. Remakes don't mean "LOL EVERYONE IN THE INDUSTRY IS OUT OF IDEAS SOULLESS CASH GRABS" They're just there to allow people who don't have older consoles to play old games. Sorry your secret club isn't so secret anymore.
>>
If this thread is the reason I don't get my REmake 2 I will find and murder OP
>>
If you want something fresh and new, go to Nintendo consoles.

PlayStation and it's third parties do nothing but rehash Nintendo's old ideas.
>>
>>386292703
XV was supposed to be a game about brotherhood and a prince accepting his responsibility and it was, it succeeded in what it set out to do.
>>
>>386292426
>Why does it matter? If you object to a games remake, then don't play it. Nobodies taking the old version away from you.
Because it sets a bad precedent.

Notice how most of the AAA scene is filled with sequels and reboots? It got to be that way because people kept buying that instead of new IP's, so everyone started making sequels instead. Something's gotta give. Remakes are just another step in the lazy and safe downward spiral.
>>
>>386285586
Yes devs and publishers do lack the capacity to create stuff as good as the old games because they have to shove political agendas and 'marketing analyses' into everything to make a safe product instead of an experimental game without any ties to the 'science of game design' that people pretend it's a law for development.
We end up with tons of clones today because of this, instead of the interesting and creative settings of old.
Remaking is a way to play what you know it's good but with added flavour of visually more appealing graphics and perhaps updated controls/gameplay.
>>
>>386284480
This trend will follow the steps of movie and television remakes with diminishing returns. Hollywood-sorry, (((Hollywood))) is screwed right now because of it.
>>
>>386292859

it should have been better
>>
>>386292859
I guess. I really don't want to argue about XV. Too many threads about it. I want to talk about how games should be moving forward not rehashing everything like the movie industry
>>
>>386290062
xenoblade
>>
>>386292743
REmake2 will be shit because neither Mikami or Kamiya are involved.

If it ever comes out that is.
>>
File: ONE LP.jpg (147KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
ONE LP.jpg
147KB, 960x544px
>>386284951
Modern square makes good games, they just aren't called Final fantasy or localized.
>>
>>386293104
on second thought, I'm fucking stupid
>>
>>386293074
It was better than the rest.

>>386293097
Fair enough
>>
File: 1494089404300.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1494089404300.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>386284595

the future of final fantasy
>side characters quests locked behind dlc
>carnival areas like golden saucer is locked behind a update couple of weeks later after launch
>dlc outfits
>later story update because they fucked up the story/made a section hell to go trough
>quiz for what additional content they should add to the game months after launch

I mean fucking 70% of the ff15 staff is still working on the game http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1341484
Also square enix has been hiring for ff16
http://www.dualshockers.com/rumor-square-enix-seeking-developers-numbered-game-super-famous-rpg-series/

fuck man i just want a complete game, fucking deus ex man kind divided and now final fantasy....

Atleast yoko taro managed to complete a fully fledged game.

m-maybe hes doing ff16

Its gonna happen whether you like it or not. Also what the fuck is square enix doing with nomura forcing him to work on 2 games at the same time.
>>
>>386284480
Is the remake meme still even alive?
I thought it died 5 or so years ago.
>>
>>386293312
have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>386293074
Maybe so, but I'd still much rather have another XV over a remake ANY day.
>>
File: so fuck off macron.jpg (130KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
so fuck off macron.jpg
130KB, 1280x720px
>>386292803
>If you want something fresh and new, go to Nintendo consoles.
>>
I don't mind remakes too much, but it really depends on what they do. I loved EOU2 because they fixed a lot of the issues I had with the original game and actually made a lot of changes, but at the same time they pulled some greedy bullshit that never should have happened in the first place.
>>
>>386293309
None of your complaints are gonna matter once the PC version hits with all of that in one package
>>
>>386292970
Literally everything can set a bad precedent, because bad people keep making bad games ripping off every time a good dev tries something new. That's the nature of this business.
>>
>>386284480
There are no new ideas, so might as well get enhanced version of old games that were good or games that could have been way better but were limited.

A prime example of this is Perfect Dark...the remake is way better due to 60fps, modern controls and I guess the new graphics are nice, but really those first two are the selling points.

Not sure how FF7 will fare, though since it's going to be so radically different it won't even be close to a proper remake so it'll probably be just as shit as a truly new game in this era would be.
>>
>>386293765
I know, but that's not gonna stop me from complaining about it.
>>
Agree 100%. Blame the profit incentive, it makes those jewish publishers deathly afraid of any risk. Also gamers being relatively young and naive, which makes them incredibly easy to manipulate any which way.
>>
>>386288405
I've been considering getting this since I loved Majora's Mask and I haven't played it to death like I did OoT (only beat it twice like a decade ago, one was a 100% with a walkthrough).

As a fan, what would you say is better/worse than the original?
>>
>>386284480
>they're gonna remake it, not remaster it, remake it. No new content or anything, just gonna put millions and millions of dollars into a facelift.
I thought remake means HD graphics + slight altercations in gameplay (or remade from scratch ala VIIRemake) and remaster is the one with just a new facelift. I'm confused.
>>
>>386293173
linear trash
>>
>>386296270
The definition can get blurry but basically-

Remaster: higher resolution, higher framerate, possibly sharper textures and other slight visual alterations.

Remake: Brand new character models, brand new animations, tons of/brand new code, just completely new assets.
>>
>>386297407
>SaGa
>Linear

????
>>
>>386284480

EVERY company are lost at the moment, no one knows what the fuck will actually sell. Their solution to their problems is to revisit their old IPs and see what the public wants. Activision Blizzard remade Crash and thought it would bomb, it ended up meeting and surpassing all expectations and now they're aware that games like Crash can be popular again so they will revisit other possibilities like Spyro. Same goes with Capcom and MH on PS consoles and Sega with 2D Sonic.
>>
I've been waiting 20 years for an FFVII Remake but after the shitfest that was FFXV my hype has been taken down a notch. This is the same company that killed Deus Ex and hasn't made a good FF since X

Who the fuck am I kidding, I'm probably going to buy it day one regardless
>>
>>386299686
XV was the best FF.
>>
>>386299823
That's cute XV-kun.
>>
>>386284480
>"Dude, wouldn't it be cool if they REMADE that game with modern graphics?"

The people that say that usually didnt play the original game.
>>
>>386301483
I've been saying that since I beat FFVII back in 1997
>>
>>386284480
>Have we gotten to the point now that we're so afraid of something new that sequels don't cut it?
Yes.

Games are greatly more expensive to make than ever before. Brand recognition is as important as ever and risks must be minimized. As gamers have lately more widely learned that sequel to good game is hardly the same thing as actually good game, jumping to the idea of making what your customers already think is good again becomes the next logical conclusion.

And with how rarely remakes have ever been of any actual improvement over the original, usually at best being exactly the same as original with some very minor technical or QoL improvements,
I think the trend could be wearing thin fast.
>>
>>386284480
It's a return to the past, it's very popular nowadays. With the 80s 90s resurgence, we going back to the best parts, and remaking them.

I've had my parents say the same, and a few colleagues.
>>
>>386299686
>>386293907
>Not sure how FF7 will fare, though since it's going to be so radically different it won't even be close to a proper remake so it'll probably be just as shit as a truly new game in this era would be.
>I've been waiting 20 years for an FFVII Remake but after the shitfest that was FFXV my hype has been taken down a notch.
Pretty much this. I'm just not expecting much from S-E nowadays. I didn't even really like FFX but it was still better than just about anything they've put out since.
>>
>>386302173
I wish they'll do the same with 90s music as they did with 80s music.
>>
Remakes that upgrade gameplay and add content >>> graphic upgrade, but videogame is still a children's hobby even today so we still can't have nice things
>>
>>386284480
You're probably young as hell because it has been a desire a loooong long time ago, ESPECIALLY with FFVII. It has been heavily desired since the ps2 was out probably more than any game of all time. It's just that developers are doing it a lot more now. I think for games it makes a lot more sense than movies, as long as they do a good job, but it seems like they're up in the air on quality.
>>
>>386299686
You were waiting for a remake the moment they released it?
>>
>>386286003
FFX HD still makes me so mad. It's not like they needed to do much but they still fucked it up so badly.
Thread posts: 99
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.