[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Negatives: Doesnt respect the players time I am starting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

File: 1498706430529.jpg (24KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1498706430529.jpg
24KB, 600x600px
>Negatives: Doesnt respect the players time

I am starting to see this complain more and more frequently. What the hell does it mean exactly?
>>
>>386191159
It means the normalfag reviewer couldn't finish the game in one setting.
>>
>>386191159
Means that game is too hard and long for a typical sub 80 IQ journalist brainlet.
>>
Let me explain. I will use Dark Souls as an example. The worst part about this game is how little it respects your time. I am not complaining about this game being difficult. I appreciate the difficulty and the need to practice to improve. I’m referring to the fact that dying is an integral gameplay element. Games can be difficult and can still be very fun, but 95% of this game is retracing your steps. This game is not about discovery or adventure or trying new things. It’s about doing the same thing over and over and over. Now, I totally respect that this might appeal to someone else. If you don’t mind doing the same thing repeatedly in the same section and don’t mind having to re-do the same 10 minutes twenty times, then it’s fine. But it gets really tiring and boring just doing the same thing over and over. It gets to the point where you’re trying to prove something rather than having fun. Especially when you go through an area you’ve crushed thirty or more times just to be knocked off a ledge and lose everything you’ve done for the last 10 minutes. “Ok, time to do all that work again.” It’s just very tiring after a while. I got about ⅔ of the way through this game. While the gameplay itself is fun, it just wastes so much of your time.
>>
>>386191831
Git gud
>>
Reviewers that want to pretend their time is more valuable than it is.
>>
padding?
maybe shitty cutscenes that arent worth paying attention, but are putting as routine
or grinding that are worth the reward but are put in because its scene as "gameplay"
>>
>>386191159
it means the game is padding out parts to artificially extended their play time.
>>
>>386191831
It's the whole point of the meme
>>
>>386191159
Probably boring bullshit in a game that's there just to length the game instead of actually being entertaining or fun. Grinding for a must-have item for 1-10 hours by doing something repetitive might qualify or having to do retarded mandatory side-quests to actually progress like in FFXIV which lasts 5-10 hours in just ARR.
>>
File: 1490676040921.jpg (300KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1490676040921.jpg
300KB, 1280x1280px
>>386191159
Means the game has a lot of low effort content. Like recycled areas or open world fetch quests.

These should be optional or not be in the game at all. Games are cheap and my free time is valuable. I just want to experience the best parts of the game. Not go kill 50 direwolfs for their pelts so that I might proceed to the next quest.
>>
>>386191831
I'd disagree with your example, the Souls franchise is fine as long as you're patient. Varied enemies, bosses, level design, weapons and magic etc. You're rewarded for your efforts. The worst offender imo is Destiny; you'll see pretty much everything there is to see within the first couple hours, but you have to grind some of the most repetitive content in gaming history just to get to the raids aka the only decent missions. And then you're rewarded with a chance of a gun or cosmetic or some shit that you don't need and doesn't change anything.
tl;dr RNG + Repetition + Unrewarding + Gated content = doesn't respect time
>>
>>386191159
Roguelikes would be a good example of this, especially stuff like Dungeon Crawl and ADOM. You can sink tens of hours into a character or save simply to have them die on you due to a silly mistake you may have made, or sometimes purely due to just pure bad luck and as a result you end up losing all your progress.

Most modern games these days incorporate some kind of progression mechanics to try and let the player feel as if their time with the game and more in specific, the time they invested in their character wasn't a complete waste due to some form of reward that carried over.

Personally, I don't really mind this as I don't really play those games unless I enjoy the core gameplay and as a result, enjoy my time with the game regardless of any 'rewards'.

The thing about gaming journalists and usually in the case of, 'working adults', they expect some manner of reward based on time invested, because naturally, given they have less free time, they find it more valuable and the feeling of 'wasting' your time without receiving any perceived reward stings a lot more.
>>
>>386191831
Damn, that is a good way to put it on words. I had been trying to play the game for a while without really feeling engaged. I like the feeling of the game, but i am busy guy, i cant and i wont go trough the same thing over and over

Time is the most valuable resource we all have. I love games, and i dont see them as a waste of time. I like the challenge and the experiences, grinding for the sake of grinding is a dealbreaker
>>
>>386191831
> I have ADD
That's all you had to type.
>>
>>386193482
He is right you know.
>>
>>386191831
>>386193390
If you're not stepping carefully, and unlocking shortcuts, you're playing it wrong and wasting your own time by being a couple of retards. It's not God of War, you have to keep your shield up and pay attention.
>>
>>386191159
it means the game has a bunch of boring bullshit padding that sholdn't be there
>>
>>386191159
With the popularity of Dark Souls, lots of games are being released that are unforgivingly difficult and can ruin your enjoyment if you're bad and die 50 times in the same place.
>>
>>386191159
The Witness is the biggest example of this. It's a game literally made to waste your time.
>>
>>386193991
No, that's called artificial difficulty. Disrespecting a player's time is when the content (regardless of challenge) is padded out. When you have to spend hours grinding inbetween "the good parts" it's disrespectful.
>>386194531
You're an idiot.
>>
>>386193828
Dark souls is a game best played as a high school or college student. You have loads of time to play and do the same shit over and over. Since I started working and having less time overall, I've gotten a bit less open to that shit.

Luckily I still have some of my patience but if I'm at a tough spot in a game and fail repeatedly I'll turn it off and do something else with my time. Maybe I'm becoming casual but if it starts to feel like a waste I'll do something else until I go to bed. Maybe put some distinct effort on a weekend or something, but dropping it for the day still happens if it becomes a chore just because of how little free time I already have. Not everyone can be a NEET with all the time in the world.
>>
>>386194717
No you're definitely a fucking retard if you don't think The Witness wastes the players time a lot
>>
>>386194924
>Not only can I not handle any sort of challenge, I'll project that the only people who can are NEETs or underage
Nice. 30 year old reporting in, fully employed since 18 and graduated college. Souls is fine, you're just a pussy.
>>
>>386195045
...I'm still waiting for you to present some reasoning for your idiotic opinion, anon.
>>
>>386191159
Dragon Age Inquisition.
>>
>>386191159
I'd imagine that in reference to some early access survival game with an unbalanced resource system. Like it's more than possible that their current system has you spending a disproportionate amount of time chopping down a million trees or something.
>>
>>386194924
I can get this mentality if you are bad at videogames, cause that way you end up spending a lot more time playing the same sections cause you are just not good enough or smart enough for the game

I have a full time job and beat every Souls game multiple times (and Nioh (a much more unforgiving game) up to NG+++) so the problem is probably on you
>>
>>386195141
Idiot, I can breeze through souls these days but if I am just not having fun in a new game I'll just come back to it tomorrow. Souls aren't hard and sometimes I just don't want to deal with that shit after being chewed out by people at work because they can't manage their life.
>>
>>386195998
I'm an idiot because you can't handle a game?
>>
Basically grinding. Or too many loading screens/cutscenes.
>>
File: A5uucuq.jpg (252KB, 1344x1011px) Image search: [Google]
A5uucuq.jpg
252KB, 1344x1011px
>>386195348
>constant amount of waiting for platforms to move or some puzzles to finish their loading animation
>incredibly low walk speed, way lower than it needs to be
>even holding run barely makes the player go faster
>no way to go faster than that
>invisible walls all over the island (sure it's to stop the player so he doesn't go were he doesn't belong but still)
>a lot of the shortcuts around the island don't open until the near end of the game
>those fucking videos you need to watch with some lasting up to 30
>the last 50 minute one has you watch it all over again if you miss the puzzle the first time
Now fuck off you colossal idiot.
>>
>>386196674
The walk speed is fine unless you have ADHD, sorry anon. The shortcuts are also fine, you can get the boat pretty early and even without it takes all of four minutes to walk across the island (chalk that up to your ADHD too).
>those fucking videos you need to watch with some lasting up to 30
>the last 50 minute one has you watch it all over again if you miss the puzzle the first time
Except you can skip to any point in the videos at any time, and only one is "required" viewing to solve a puzzle, and only for ten seconds at that. Sorry anon, you're officially retarded.
>>
File: 72c.jpg (18KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
72c.jpg
18KB, 600x450px
>>386197226
No, none of that shit is fine unless you have autism. It's basically filler. Being a witness fan it's no surprised you have autism. Everything I lay out is objective but sadly you can only think subjectivity due to being a brainlet. Saying it's fine is not an argument.
>Except you can skip to any point in the videos at any time
Only the one that's not 50 to 60 minutes because if you miss it you need to hold on it till the end. I expect another attack ad hominem or greentext shitpost since you're out of agruments.
>>
File: IMG_7322.png (38KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7322.png
38KB, 640x640px
Brevity is the soul of wit. If your gameplay is garbage, time spent can only be backed up by narrative/lore/worldbuilding, aspects that don't take 40-100 hours to establish and see through.

>Breath of the Wild
>Final Fantasy XV
>The Witcher 3
Recent examples of games that don't "respect the player's time". They're timesinks, the payoff is relative to your taste but the fact that they're timesinks isn't what makes them good (or bad). It's padding for marketing because it was briefly fashionable to print ads about how yours is bigger than theirs.
>>
People just want to finish games faster
>>
It means that people who have finally grown up into an adult lifestyle find that they don't have the spare time for vidya that they had as a kid and they sort of hold it against the game. I know this because my roommate uses this argument as well. But yeah, if you still eat, drink and shit vidya then it's a non-argument.
>>
>>386191831
you should just say MMOs in general.
>>
>>386198009
>It's basically filler
The island is insanely dense with puzzles. You can't walk ten feet without tripping over something you can interact with. There's no reason to move any faster except to satisfy your ADHD.
>Only the one that's not 50 to 60 minutes because if you miss it you need to hold on it till the end
What are you saying here? Let me lay it out: You start the video, skip to the end, draw a line, done. It takes 10 seconds, period.
>I expect another attack ad hominem or greentext shitpost since you're out of agruments
Pointing out facts to counter your shitty opinions isn't a fallacy, anon.
>>
>>386198548
I think it's more people don't want to be bored out of their minds for hours at a time, especially when the payoff is less than great (Dungeons/Ganon in BotW, Final Act/Eredin of The Witcher 3, Clusterfuck Eleventh Hour Story of FFXV)

All things easily ignorable if the core gameplay had been great, rather than serviceable, or in TW3's case; dogshit. I like story driven games, but it doesn't mean your gameplay has to be ass backwards, especially when your story rarely makes up for it. What is even BotW's excuse for having such shitty combat? Brand recognition?
>>
>>386199350
>I think it's more people don't want to be bored out of their minds for hours at a time
You say that, but then people bring up Dark Souls in this thread as an example.
>>
File: Puppets.gif (3MB, 740x416px) Image search: [Google]
Puppets.gif
3MB, 740x416px
Best example I can think of is in Starcraft 2. There's a holdout mission where you have to defend for some absurd amount of time, like 40 minutes. After 10 or 15 minutes or so you've your defenses all set up and nothing is getting close to destroying it. The other 25-30 minutes is just repetition of repairing or going AFK.
There's no way to improve on this. Unlike in Dark Souls, killing a boss and moving on quickly isn't an option. You have to sit there for the entire 40 minutes.
A waste of time is one in which there is no reward for performing well.
>>
>>386199549
Dark Souls is brief, though. It shows its hand in the first hour and only lasts about 20.
Open world design specifically lends itself to the idea that maybe something will come along eventually to make up for the dead time experiencing nothing, while sprinkling collectibles and copy-pasted outposts to distract you.

Now I don't claim to be any fan of Dark Souls (Dark Souls specifically), but I'd easily say its design is less offensive by default. Even if the combat isn't to your taste, the entire game is designed around accomplishments. That's why the challenge is there. Wandering around an open field as big as your mum's ass isn't hard, it's just mind-numbing. It's a cardinal sin for me that BotW never actually felt "wild" or threatening. Despite the context the worldbuilding tried to sell me, Hyrule is the safest and most sterile space. Even moreso than NMS. You literally can't lose.
>>
File: image.png (3MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
3MB, 2560x1440px
>>386199242
>The island is insanely dense with puzzles
>You can't walk ten feet without tripping over something you can interact with
This change when you're looking for the environment puzzles. There constant waiting when looking for the last few or just exploring regularly. It doesn't respect the players time.
What are you saying here? Let me lay it out: You start the video, skip to the end, draw a line, done. It takes 10 seconds, period
https://youtube.com/watch?v=uZhjMklKXzw
It's like I'm speaking to a child
>Pointing out facts to counter your shitty opinions isn't a fallacy, anon.
No, you continue to confuse your subjectivity with objectivity. There's no reason the player needs to have his time wasted you autistic manchild.
>>
File: 1500520178998.jpg (104KB, 572x621px) Image search: [Google]
1500520178998.jpg
104KB, 572x621px
>>386191159

It's a nebulous statement that can mean different things to different people.

Any reviewer who uses this statement should have expanded on it in the rest of the review. Any reviewer who doesn't is upset playing a game got in the way of refreshing twitter.
>>
>Grinding
>Padding
>"Content" that is necessary to complete but is ultimately worthless, such as fetch quests

Pretty much anything that takes time to complete in a game without a real reason for it is the game not "respecting the players time."

No one wants to spend 5 hours of time grinding some area just to level up enough to continue playing the actual game. No one wants to do a mandatory fetch quest that involves running halfway across the map back and forth just so you can progress the actual story.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.