[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't more developers make make first person open world

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: OblivionFirst-Person.jpg (132KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
OblivionFirst-Person.jpg
132KB, 800x600px
Why don't more developers make make first person open world RPGs?

Seems like Bethesda are the only ones doing it, every time i see a new open world RPG its always third person
>>
>>386190205
It's like making GTA, only R* can do it right.
>>
>>386190608

Saints Row was doing pretty well till they went full retard.
>>
>>386190608
Honestly this
>>
>>386190864
2 was fucking awesome and fun from start to end, but after that they went full retarded humor and madr it dumb as fuck
>>
>>386190205
It's an expensive type of game to make: a lot of content, takes a lot of planning, and if it's not Skyrim 2 you're unlikely to make back your money.
>>
>>386190608
>>386190879
But a lot of developers can do it better than Bethesda though
>>
File: FB_IMG_1497615124175.jpg (71KB, 960x938px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1497615124175.jpg
71KB, 960x938px
>>386190864
I think they felt being retarded was the only way to be recognized. In a way that's true though, because that usually seems to be the first thing that's brought up in listing differences between it and GTA

Also, as much as I tend to dislike most aspects of TES and nuFallout, they actually really do atmosphere better than anyone else. Though that's mostly a credit to the music. You literally cannot get more comfy than
https://youtu.be/LPysOFeSg8E
While just going about your lazy day.
>>
>>386190205
Because it's hard and expensive.
Bethesda has been doing them for more than a decade, and look how their games still turns out.
>>
>>386191575

Inon Zur really knows his stuff. I think he mentioned in an interview that he actually plays the game and goes through the various areas before composing the music for them.

If I were to make a list of FO4's flaws, the soundtrack would not be one of them.
>>
>>386191075
>Expensive
Not really. Doesn't have to. Fallout 4 cost less and had fever devs than Witcher 3, MGSV, and Star Wars Battlefront.
>>
>>386191075
>>386191679
I mean a lot of developers are making open world RPGs with lots of content but they make them third person
>>
>>386190205
Because it's real hard to make a good one. They look at the shining examples of the genre, the Elder Scrolls games, and say 'god damn these games are fucking boring, it'd be way too much work to make this forumula NOT suck' and give up before they begin.
>>
>>386192532
Obisadan made a good one in one year
>>
Kingdom Come Deliverance is one first person open world RPG on the horizon
>>
File: 1501824767344.jpg (354KB, 567x790px) Image search: [Google]
1501824767344.jpg
354KB, 567x790px
>>386192804
I am eternally upset over the fact that new vegas had probably half the content it was suppossed to. Still my favorite fallout.
>>
File: sum005002017264010.jpg (3MB, 1594x2400px) Image search: [Google]
sum005002017264010.jpg
3MB, 1594x2400px
>>386190205
Because it's a fucking horrible platform. Especially for rolls/random chance, passive skills/stats, and being extremely limited on ways to interact with objects.

Some actions and descriptions just need a heavy text format for explanation and exploration.

FOR EXAMPLE: your party goes into a cave and see a hole in the ground that is too dark to see. You can't take out a torch from your inventory and toss it down. You can't take a rope from your inventory, secure it, and toss it down. You can't select which party member should climb down first and which to go last. You can't do it in first-person and especially not in open world.
>>
>>386194017
The sad fact is that you are not going to get a finished game out of Obsidian until they get better management. Still we can always hope that Beth makes fallout 5 great however vain that hope is.
>>
File: dedgruz.jpg (208KB, 1200x905px) Image search: [Google]
dedgruz.jpg
208KB, 1200x905px
I will do it.
>>
>>386194306
You can do all that in first person. you are just a retard.
>>
>>386194431
Name one fucking game that does this.
>>
>>386194490
Any first person game with Dynamic lighting with light sources that can be thrown, any first person game with context menus on areas where items in your inventory can be used on the environment.
>>
>>386190205
close combat swordfights don't work in 1st person perspective. Behesda just doesn't get it and sticks to a non-working formula, spicing it up by take-down animations.
>>
>>386194328
Man, when I played 4 I became depressed for like a month because I thought we were getting fallout new vegas writing with Bethesda bucks to back it. Instead I got crafting and shitty normie memes.
>>
>>386194819
dark messiah of might and magic, Dying Light, both good first person games with Melee.
>>
>>386194713
Then name one. I bet you can't.
>>
>>386190608
You really think Bethesda are doing it right?
>>
File: 1498987905826.png (376KB, 409x459px) Image search: [Google]
1498987905826.png
376KB, 409x459px
>>386194819
>close combat swordfights don't work in 1st person perspective
m&b, chivalry?
>>
>>386195004
Fallout new Vegas had contextual menus that allowed you to interact with the Environment with items in your inventory, as for dropping a lit torch down a dark hole? You could do that in Oblivion.
>>
>>386194979
It would be good if bethesda actually took influence from arkane seeing as they literally own them.
>>
>>386195345
It would be fucking great if they did that, the problem is that things don't get better until someone with power in a company want things to get better, you need someone in Bethesda with a vision for the next fallout, who has a real story to tell and mechanics to implement. You need someone who WANTS to make a great game.
>>
>>386195262
Are you talking about mods? Normal quests only allowed you to choose from "Do thing" or "Not do thing". It's extremely situational and doesn't let you just reciprocate the process for any further challenges you come across.
>>
>>386195345
How is it that Arkane nailed melee combat in DMoM&M but totally dropped the ball in Dishonored? The melee is abysmal in the Dishonored games and the only good part is using the powers.
>>
>>386190205
at this point it is practically impossible
its like trying to make your own sims-like game: everyone will take one look at it and immediately go "who not just play the sims instead"
Brand recognition is a hell of a thing, just look at the amount of failed 'GTA clone' series that has popped up over the years, no one wants to play a knock off when they can play the actual thing, no matter if the original has become shit to the point where the knock off is better
>>
>>386195667
I honestly think a game like The Sims but entirely in first-person/VR where you can do stuff around your house/sim's life would take off and do better than an actual Sims game.
>>
>>386195667
actually I thought of a better example, disregard the whole sims analogy.
Its like trying to make your own brand of watches to compete Rolex ones, no matter how well made or expensive you make yours everyone will say "its not as good as Rolex" even if rolex watches were absolute shit compared to yours because Rolex is more well known
>>
>>386195567
Is using rope to climb down a hole a challenge now? I only remember one game off the top of my head that makes you do that and it was fallout 1, you could do it twice in the whole game, using rope to climb down an area is by its nature situational and should not be used again and again unless the game is about climbing and you have some fun climbing mechanics. My argument is that you CAN do the things you stipulated in your example in a first person game and you can even do it in the shitty engine that beth uses.
>>
>>386195667
>"who not just play the sims instead"
What about city skylinies beating sims 4
>>
you'd have to come up with a concept that is both original and smart from a technical perspective. Massive tunnel system world or something.
>>
>>386194979

Escape from Butcher Bay too. In fact a lot of games with the best melee combat are first person or at least have the option for it.

>>386195617

The physics weren't as detailed and were rarely incorporated into the combat like they were in Dark Messiah where nearly every large fighting arena had a few physics enabled objects or traps that you could kill your enemies with or fight around.

Personally i thought the combat in Dishonored was pretty good overall even ignoring powers. The melee was definitely weaker than Dark Messiah but the stealth felt a lot smoother and more natural in Dishonored as well as the inclusion of ranged weapons in combat.
>>
>>386195262
Not him, but altought not open world, the system of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic would work.
>>
>>386192804
They made a better one than Bethesda, so it may seem good by comparison but when you stop comparing it to worse games and judge it on it's own merits New Vegas is still a pretty bad game.
>>
>>386195667
>Brand recognition is a hell of a thing, just look at the amount of failed 'GTA clone' series that has popped up over the years, no one wants to play a knock off when they can play the actual thing

There has to be a starting point somewhere. If a game does something very well, it becomes the starting point for the trend. And brands get replaced all the time. Halo was killer app console seller till CoD overshadowed it. Bejeweled was replaced by Candy Crush.

But typically all it really comes down to is characterizations. Remember Me had such bland character designs despite being a decent game. Undertale became memorable for it's characters, otherwise it'd be considered some Earthbound clone.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.