[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people often complain about stuff like locked framerate?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

File: oreo.jpg (583KB, 1728x1152px) Image search: [Google]
oreo.jpg
583KB, 1728x1152px
Why do people often complain about stuff like locked framerate?
Who cares if it runs at 90 fps max, it's way above 60.
Same with FOV, you don't need super high fov like 120, it's just dumb.
>>
I get motion sickness if I play FPS without a high fov.
>>
The people who bitch about frame rate usually are on the extreme ends of the gear spectrum. People with shitty gear want lower frame rates so the games will play while people with better gear want higher frame rates.
>>
>>386122414
ones eyes can experience and process 22 frames ...
But from the real world.
if you have 30 or 60 you will pick the higher coz it gives you more proper information.
24-30 fps in a film are ok because you are watching a "stationary" film in a game you try to comprehend what you are doing and if you have low fps you get motion sickness.
>>
>I like things certain way.
>no u r dum
Is your name Procrustes or something?
>>
>>386122414
Because 60 is just the current minimum standard to not be considered worse because it is the more common refresh rate and unlocked framerate with no associated bugs will keep up regardless of what setup you use, same for resolution.
And FoV is just a matter of adjusting for different setups based on screen size/distance from the screen and an FoV that is too low for the setup can cause discomfort of varying severity.
If you want to be a cuck and don't want an experience that you can adjust to your own technical preferences then you can but people will still want shit to run properly and comfortably on their setup so that's just what they demand if they're on a platform with actual standards.

>>386123085
Film also uses certain techniques to avoid the shortcomings of low framerates which can't be implemented well into a game.
>>
File: 1499390958536.jpg (72KB, 812x960px) Image search: [Google]
1499390958536.jpg
72KB, 812x960px
>>386122414
locked frame rate is a thing that shouldn't really exist. the better your hardware, the more frames you're gonna get. if i have a pc that could run something at 150fps, why should it be locked to 90? stupid.

as for FOV, just go look at something like halo 5. it is like fucking tunnel vision. complete shit. i want a slider to make sure my FOV isn't complete shit. simple.
>>
>>386122719
>The people who bitch about frame rate usually are on the extreme ends of the autism spectrum
FTFY
>>
What game is framelocked at 90 fps, OP?
>>
60fps is not some magic number, same way 1080p is not "the max resolution ever needed forever"
10 years from now, higher framerates will be standard for high end gaming, and we won't be able to enjoy it on current and last gen games
>>
>>386122414
Console FOV is about 60, max. Unplayable trash like Killzone may even go as low as 30-45.

This is what shitty console ports will have and thats what people bitch about. Not 120.
>>
I have a 144Hz monitor so I'd like to be able to take advantage of that, its simple. And if the FOV is less then 90, it feels really weird and you get motion sickness
>>
>>386124119
Maybe you should've not wasted your money on 144hz monitor when it's not mainstream yet.
>>
>>386124080
It will cap soon though, it will get to a point where you literally unironically won't be able to know the difference anymore, and then it will stop.
>>
>>386124271
Nothing can become mainstream with that logic. For something to become mainstream there needs to be people who buy something before its mainstream.
>>
File: locktar-parse.png (131KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
locktar-parse.png
131KB, 256x256px
>>386122414

guess you don't have a fucking 144hz monitor to play FPS then, retard

and i prefer my fov to be 115 if possible because i'm comfortable with it after years of playing quake, allows you to see what you're actually doing instead of getting motion sick on console fov which is made for a normalfag sitting on a couch miles from his tv

even if your monitor is 60hz, having more frames still is a huge advantage in games

you're either a console baby or baiting right now
>>
>>386124271
He can buy a monitor for whatever he wants. There are tons of games with uncapped framerate. Only fighting games and incompetent devs force lock it at 30 or 60
>>
>hurr why do you want options?
>just accept that the developer knows best
>>
>>386124119

any fps i know on pc has uncapped framerate for at least 144hz

the only games who lock the framerate are the ones with absolute garbage devs who tied the physics of the game to the framerate, so when you unlock it the game becomes an unplayable mess
>>
60fps is the only way. Retards didn't know any better for years, and just parroted others. It was a stupid meme, but at least it was for a good cause. People are finally moving away from shitty framerates because of vocal, sperging autists.

Now these same autists believe that more FPS is always better, and we get all this useless bullshit. Anything beyond 60 FPS is worthless. Don't push this any further.
>>
>>386124592

meant for >>386124271
>>
>>386124667
You have never looked at a 144hz screen then. 144 fps and 60fps is a massive difference
>>
>>386124358
Yeah and that will probably be somewhere around 200 - 300fps. Despite what console shitters think, you can even see the difference between 120hz and 144hz
>>
>>386122414
Most of these herbs don't realize they're using a display that only pushes 60 fps. They get big boners over the overlay saying theyre at 200 fps but over 2/3 of that is just being thrown out. Most of those 120hz displays are a joke.
>>
>>386123441
Higher framrate isn't always better.
Tell me, what do you think is actually better for the human mind to process, solid 60FPS or solid 70FPS? Do you even realize why this specific 60FPS count is used?
>>
>>386124426
>>386124446
>>386124449
Because it's like buying a supercar, trying to drive it around countryside and complaining about shitty roads or lack of thereof
>>
>>386124832
Even on a 60hz display you can feel when a game is running at above 60fps due to lower input lag. When I play tf2 I can tell when the fps is getting close to 60fps, even though I only have a 60hz monitor.
>>
>>386124908

it's not tho
every game i play on pc supports 144hz
maybe you should go back to play your ps4
>>
>>386124962
Maybe because the only games you play are CSGO and DOTA2/overshit.
>>
>>386125216

i dont play either of them but nice try at strawmanning
>>
>>386123441
not ll screens can show 60, more than 60 or more than 120 fps.
Making it unlocked on a screen that can't show more than 60 is poitless and puts the GPU under more stress and heat
>>
I have a 165hz monitor

The only problem i have had were from old games or shitty ports that needed me to lock it to 60fps.

Otherwise no problems.
>>
>>386124859
>Do you even realize why this specific 60FPS count is used?
Monitor refresh rates
>>
>>386124358
That didn't stop 8k 30 inch monitors and 4k phones from existing
>>
>>386125786
>4k phones
I will never understand why my phone has bigger resolution than my monitor. Never ever. I mean, why? What's the point?
>>
>>386125342
>2017
>having a screen that can't do 60 fps
When will third worlders leave?
>>
>>386125385
How does 60fps feel after getting used to 165? I'm guessing it feels like how 30fps feels after playing at 60.
>>
>>386125957
Actually early 4k monitors are like this. Far from third world
>>
>>386125909
It looks better? Resolutions will always increase. 4k on a phone looks crisp as fuck. Plus it's also another marketing buzzword they can throw around to sell the phone
>>
>>386126098
>looks crisp as fuck
it looks literally the same on a phone as full HD unless you're looking from 2 centimeters
>>
>>386126098
1440p looks just as crisp on a phone and consumes half the battery
>>
>>386126237
This. And probably costs way less to manufacture.
>>
>>386126164
>>386126237
>>386126362
VR
RV
>>
File: You are weak.png (76KB, 563x209px) Image search: [Google]
You are weak.png
76KB, 563x209px
>>386126076
>Buying anything with one improved feature before it's able to keep all other features at least as good as older models
>>
>>386125979
I've got a 144hz monitor, it's noticeable and sometimes unplayable to me. Wolfinstein New Order is locked to 60 and it was giving me a headache. I think that was just because it's an FPS or maybe the frame times were bad but it was not fun.
I can still play consoles at 60 no problem but once you get to 30 it's very noticeable
>>
>>386122414
Wanna know how I know you're a console pleb?
>>
>>386128000
was nuwolfenstein locked to 60? i legit thought it was 30 fps when i played old blood.
>>
>>386122414
locked framerate is a like a speed limit on a highway where nobody else is driving and you have zero chance of an accident.
Higher 100% equals better, and limiting that for no beneficial reason to the player is a detriment to the player.
Also, not everybody locks their games at 60, there are still lots of games locked at 30.

You might not need more FOV than about 90-100, but again, less options for the player because it makes it easier for the developer is not a good argument to a potential buyer.

Finally, there are some few people who experience nausea or headaches from low framerate or FOV, and the inclusion of options for both are no different than a colorblind mode, except, the devs can not just swap a palet, it would require some work.

Defending the lack of this option is a defense of a dev that does not do the minimum necessary.
The only people who have an excuse are devs who struggle to even release the game, most indies for example, but AAA publisher backed studios have none, and ironically the publishers often spend way more money on publicity to dub 60FOV at sub30FPS "more cinematic" or "atmospheric" than it would take to make these changes.
>>
>>386124962
>every game i play on pc supports 144hz
how good for you, but there are a shitton of games on PC that you dont play that dont.
>>
120 fov feels fucking good. I don't care if it's like fish vision, it actually makes it a lot more comfortable for me to navigate. Anything below 90 is fucking barf-inducing. Same goes for fps. 60 and above actually allows you to utilize your reflexes to the fullest. 30 and below is downright detrimental in any FPS game.

If a competitive multiplayer FPS game doesn't have decent fov and is fps locked at 30, I just won't play it because it's physically uncomfortable to me.
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.