[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>powerful >great controller >the best Mario games >the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 20

File: gc.jpg (87KB, 1550x1226px) Image search: [Google]
gc.jpg
87KB, 1550x1226px
>powerful
>great controller
>the best Mario games
>the best Zelda games
>the best Metroid games
>Eternal Darkness
>motherfucking Resident Evil remake, 0 and 4 (the best game ever made)
Can we all agreed Gamecube was the last great console made by Nintendo?
>>
File: n64.jpg (37KB, 1019x449px) Image search: [Google]
n64.jpg
37KB, 1019x449px
>>386109823
Step aside, faggot child.
>>
>>386109823
Honest question. In my memory the gamecube was considered underpowered compared to the playstation/x box. Is with powerful meant that the potential was greater or maybe that the games were better programmed to use the ressources mor efficiently?
>>
>>386110276
The GCN was comparable to the original Xbox, perhaps a little bit weaker. Outside of that, GCN was vastly more powerful than the PS2 and DC, and it could even do a few things the Xbox couldn't. Just take a look at RE4 and tell me it isn't the best looking game of the gen.
>>
>>386110409
No idea how to measure that. There are games that had really big maps with almost no loading that were only on the ps and xbox.
>>
>>386109823
Also the best smash game
>>
>>386110409
>The GCN was comparable to the original Xbox, perhaps a little bit weake
What are you smoking anon?
GC was on par with PS2, maybe slightly better, with the downside of the minidisc

XBOX HUEG was the monster of the 6th generation
>>
>>386109823
>the best Zelda games

Yeah, but if you don't count the Zelda Collector's Edition or the Gameboy Player add-on, it has the worst.
>>
>>386110609
>What are you smoking anon?
Uh what are you smoking? Don't talk about shit you don't know. The GCN was not "on par" with the PS2, that sentence right there tells me you don't have a single clue what the fuck you're talking about. The GCN blew the PS2 out of the fucking water in every single way. As for the Xbox, like I said, the GCN was probably a tiny bit weaker but only very slightly. Compare the most graphically intensive games on GCN and Xbox and the GCN games usually look better, in fact. Multiplats would be the one exception, where Xbox usually looked the best, if only because the thing was basically a fucking PC in a console shell and was thus easier to optimize.
>>
>>386110793
>Don't talk about shit you don't know
you too anon
On XBOX you can find even impossible port of Half life 2 and Doom 3, it was THIS powerful
slightly better than GC my ass
>>
>>386111226
Interestingly. There are games that look far worse than necessary. Maybe because the xbox had enough ressources so developers were lazy sometimes and did not use them wisely.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (343KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
343KB, 1920x1080px
>>386111226
>On XBOX you can find even impossible port of Half life 2 and Doom 3, it was THIS powerful
Lol this sounds like the kind of thing an autistic 15 year old says. If it was an "impossible" port it wouldn't be the on the fucking Xbox retard, and guess what? Both of those games looked like total shit, and in the case of DOOM 3 they had to add the flashlight feature because the hardware wasn't even powerful enough to render entire scenes.

Find me a picture of an Xbox game that looks better than pic related. Oh right, you can't.
>>
>>386111553
>and in the case of DOOM 3 they had to add the flashlight feature because the hardware wasn't even powerful enough to render entire scenes
the flashlight feature was on the PC, you don't know shit
>>
>>386112035
>the flashlight feature was on the PC, you don't know shit
Uhh yeah, it was, because they optimized the game to run on both console and PC, are you fucking retarded?
>>
File: dinodad.gif (1023KB, 400x306px) Image search: [Google]
dinodad.gif
1023KB, 400x306px
>>386112035
When a game is developed for both console and computer simultaneously, the game has to be developed to run on the lowest end hardware, which was Xbox in this case. Most developers aren't going to put in the extra time to co-develop versions that take advantage of both hardware, that's a waste of time and resources. Much like today, consoles have been holding back PC for a long time. Educate yourself.
>>
>>386109823
Hahaha fuck no. Get your school supplies soon Billy because it's almost time to get back to hike school.
>>
File: rip.png (760KB, 993x638px) Image search: [Google]
rip.png
760KB, 993x638px
Speaking of Gamecube, do you guys miss the early 2000s?
>>
File: 1501332476532s.jpg (5KB, 224x224px) Image search: [Google]
1501332476532s.jpg
5KB, 224x224px
>>386112591
Why did Malcolm have to end?
>>
>>386112591
I thought the majority of people liked the wii
>>
>>386110409
>>386110609
>>386110793
All it would take is a simple specs comparison, you fucking retards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_generation_of_video_game_consoles#Comparison
>>
File: 1462505039500.png (69KB, 322x340px) Image search: [Google]
1462505039500.png
69KB, 322x340px
>>386112591
>Last episode of Inuyasha airs
I don't care if it's a show for teenage girls with a dumb dub, I fucking loved watching it every night
>>
>>386112591
why are you spamming this, i just posted in the thread
>>
>>386109823
>no games console
yes what an excellent choice
>>
>>386110409
PS2 destroys the Gamecube in SIMD performance and pure GPU fillrate and can match it in every other respect with careful optimization.
The PS2 was simply difficult to develop for, partly because of hardware design and partly because of Sony's terrible developer support. Gamecube was simple and straightforward, and could be maxed out by anyone.
>>
>>386112759
Yes, if by people you mean casuals, i.e. grandparents, babies, and dogs who never touched a video game before the Wii broadened games' appeal.
>>
>>386110409
RE4 wasn't the best looking game of the gen
>>
>>386112872
>PS2 destroys the Gamecube in SIMD performance and pure GPU fillrate
Too bad it lacked hardware T&L, texture compression and multitexturing so it was bottlenecked as fuck and could barely perform. Also, it couldn't push polys for shit.

>can match it in every other respect with careful optimization.
No, it can't, there isn't a single game on the PS2 that looks half as good as the best GCN games. Just look at the terrible RE4 port. They had to cut down the poly count on models to a ridiculous degree to even get it running without the machine exploding -- it couldn't even render the faces on the Ganados properly. Stop making shit up.
>>
>>386112823
The credits with the ferris wheel makes me feel somber
>>
File: resident_evil_4_7-100733.jpg (204KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
resident_evil_4_7-100733.jpg
204KB, 1280x720px
>>386113096
>RE4 wasn't the best looking game of the gen
Yes, actually it was. The only game that can even begin to compare is perhaps the Xbox version of Conker's Bad Fur Day, which was impressive mostly for the fur rendering and not much else.
>>
File: lmaodudewhat.gif (2MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
lmaodudewhat.gif
2MB, 200x200px
>>386112872
>PS2 destroys the Gamecube in SIMD performance and pure GPU fillrate and can match it in every other respect with careful optimization.
Autism.
>>
>>386112112
>because they optimized the game to run on both console and PC
>Doom 3
BWAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH
>>
>>386113127
>Too bad it lacked hardware T&L, texture compression and multitexturing so it was bottlenecked as fuck and could barely perform. Also, it couldn't push polys for shit.
You've got this perfectly, exactly backwards. The Gamecube's T&L unit was a fixed function POS that sucked so badly at polygon culling it was often better just not to do it. The PS2 could push insane and impractical numbers of polygons thanks to its stupidly high GPU bandwidth, I have no idea how you could get the complete wrong idea about this.

Resident Evil 4 was a rushed cashgrab port. It could easily have had e.g. the particle effects if the effort was made. There are many PS2 games which look better than Resi 4's port.
>>
>>386109823
>it's a Nintendo Historical Revision thread
>"guys, remember that GC was the most powerful 6th Gen console?
>"Guys, the N64 was everyone's favourite, back in the day, nobody really even HAD a PS1!"
>"hey, remember how amazing it was that the wii sold out to soccer moms and clueless grandparents, with shovelware quiz games and fitness fads?!"
>etc
>etc

just stop. It's embarrassing
>>
>>386113494
>I have no idea how you could get the complete wrong idea about this.
By being right, which you are not. GCN's max poly rate is around 32m, PS2 could barely reach 25~30, and that's if you focused on geometry and nothing else. The system was piss fucking weak my dude.

>Resident Evil 4 was a rushed cashgrab port. It could easily have had e.g. the particle effects if the effort was made.
Lmao your retarded ass actually believes this.
>>
>>386113494

>the games could have lookex good if there was effort put in them

nobody cares about what-ifs, they care about results. PS2 was a nightmare to develop for, resulting in games looking terrible. Nobody cares about muh potential. Same retarded argument for Genesis and PS3. What it could potentily do doesn't matter to anyone.
>>
>>386109823
It was the last good consoles of Nintendo, but none of the shit you said about the games is truth
Eternal was good
>>
File: Burnout 3.jpg (290KB, 1366x624px) Image search: [Google]
Burnout 3.jpg
290KB, 1366x624px
>>386113915
There are plenty of PS2 games which make the most of the hardware.
Burnout 3 did not come to Gamecube. Its vector performance sucked, so it could not do physics. Its T&L was fixed function, so it could not do the particle effects or the vehicle deformations. The PS2's high fillrate also made it much easier to do the framebuffer effects you see in that version of the game.

Sony were complete dicks that gen, and made a complicated bitch of a machine with little documentation or support. It's no wonder that many games looked better on Gamecube. It was much easier to meet the full potential of the Gamecube. But there were still plenty of talented developers who could exceed by using the PS2.
>>
>>386109823

Sure, Eternal Darkness was great. But nobody bought it because the GC was a brightly-coloured kid's toy.
>>
The switch is the best actually. Imagine mario, zelda, pokemon, animal crossing, smash, fire emblem, metroid, kirby, yoshi, splatoon, xenoblade chronicles, mario kart, skyrim, sonic and jap third party games all in one console/handheld.
>>
File: inuyasha-the-final-act-2685.jpg (40KB, 373x550px) Image search: [Google]
inuyasha-the-final-act-2685.jpg
40KB, 373x550px
>>386112823
At least they eventually went back to it and gave it the proper ending it deserves
>>
File: srs_022404__022404_000.jpg (188KB, 590x448px) Image search: [Google]
srs_022404__022404_000.jpg
188KB, 590x448px
>>386114295
Sorry but you're going to have to come up with a better argument than taking literally the words of a developer whose only experience with making games has been racing sims and shovelware. Besides, GCN had better looking racers than Burnout anyway. Your entire argument is hinged upon unverified "what ifs" and bullshit that has no place in reality. The fact is, the vast majority of PS2 games looked pretty fucking awful, and yet the GCN had a slew of incredible looking games, everything from RE4 to Prime 2, Rogue Squadron, Star Fox Adventures, the list goes on. It had better graphics, end of story.
>>
File: 1491456106492.jpg (28KB, 720x727px) Image search: [Google]
1491456106492.jpg
28KB, 720x727px
>>386113189
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-E_ToLbzLw
>>
>>386114641
You're right anon.
You are a better authority on the matter of these consoles' capabilities than the developer responsible for producing one of most impressive games of the gen. We should all trust you, who says nothing about the actual specifications of the hardware and merely asserts it's better.
>>
File: riddick.jpg (83KB, 556x391px) Image search: [Google]
riddick.jpg
83KB, 556x391px
>>386113228
>Yes, actually it was.

No, it really wasn't.
>>
>>386114906
>You are a better authority on the matter of these consoles' capabilities than the developer responsible for producing one of most impressive games of the gen
It was not even close to one of the most impressive games of the gen, not by any metric whatsoever. I repeat: the GCN not only had better looking racers than fucking Burnout 3, it had better looking games all around.

>We should all trust you, who says nothing about the actual specifications of the hardware and merely asserts it's better.
Except I did mention the actual specifications, and you wrongly claimed that it was "exactly backwards" and chose to ignore it, despite the fact that you were literally backwards in your own statements. Your entire argument is based on the idea of "potential" that you falsely believe the PS2 had, when in reality, the actual games still look vastly better on GCN. That's reality, choose to accept it or don't, doesn't matter to me.
>>
>>386115072
Nice PC version bullshot, fag. I actually played the game, and pic related is what it actually looked like. Great shadows, everything else was average. Still doesn't even approach RE4.
>>
>>386112675
If it went on it would've become trash like the Simpsons did. 6 years is good enough for a tv show.
>>
>>386109823
>no online
>stupid small dvd format
>lackluster third party support
>stupid color choice
>no port of db budokai 3 or sw battlefront 2
>2 failed attempts at starfox
>no chibi-robo sequel
other that being a melee and mario sunshine player this console sucked
>>
>>386115264
>no online
Ironically, it is the only system from this gen, excluding DC, which still has a functioning online game.
>>
>>386115249
Those shadows took more to render than an entire half of whatever you looked at at any point in RE4, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. From a technical point of view Riddick was more accomplished than RE4.
>>
Wii was the last great console by Nintendo. Prior to that, it was the SNES.
>>
>>386112591
>last episode of Lupin III airs
The English dub is god awful, consider this a blessing.
>>
>>386115594
a man of culture
>>
>>386109823
That controller was ass for shooters. Whoever decided to make L and R buttons as opposed to triggers is a literal retard.
>>
>>386115519
>Those shadows took more to render than an entire half of whatever you looked at at any point in RE4, you don't know what the fuck you're talking about. From a technical point of view Riddick was more accomplished than RE4.
Lmao, posting a PC version bullshot and then trying to act like you know shit, good one faggot. Riddick was a good looking game for the time but by no means was it "more accomplished" than RE4, that is pure autism in every sense of the word, and no, it did not "take more to render than an entire half of whatever you looked at at any point in RE4", whatever the fuck that is supposed to mean. The environments were small as shit, character models were low poly, the environments were blocky and textures were muddy as fuck, that's why the engine was able to render shadows so effectively -- because it wasn't straining itself rendering anything else. It's super easy to make something look good with a proper use of shadows, but that's all it is. RE4 has high-poly models with extremely detailed faces, incredibly intricate architexture, large environments, fantastic particle effects, tons of instances on-screen at one time, AND amazing lighting/use of shadows to boot. You are dead fucking wrong.
>>
>>386115132
>you should listen to me, and not actual devs who made games for the respective consoles because I don't think their games are good enough

Neat. What better games did you dev for the GC/PS2?

What team were you with?
>>
>>386115132
>Except I did mention the actual specifications
The only things you mentioned were things you got wrong.
For example, the PS2's theoretical polygon limit was around 75 million/second, not 30.
Of course the main reason I didn't dwell on that is because it wasn't relevant to the point being made and was mainly a Sony marketing gimmick anyway. Once you start doing more than simple flat shaded polygons, it ends up in roughly the same ballpark as the Gamecube.
The important things from that post (like Gamecube T&L being complete fucking garbage) from your post were addressed. VU1 was faster and more versatile, and that's a fact.
>Potential
All I've done this whole tie is refer to actual games, like Burnout 3. If you want to prove me wrong, show me a game with comparable audio effects, collision detection, physics, mesh deformations and framebuffer effects to Burnout 3. If you can do that, then try Burnout Revenge.
>>
>>386113532
>>"guys, remember that GC was the most powerful 6th Gen console?
He didn't say that. He said it was "powerful", which it was, so the rest of your tantrum falls apart.

Just stop. It's embarrassing.
>>
>>386116000
It wasn't even powerful, unless you're comparing it to nu-Nintendo consoles which are always a generation behind.
>>
>>386116279
Yes it was.
>nu-Nintendo

Just stop. It's embarrassing.
>>
>>386115974
>show me a game with comparable audio effects, collision detection, physics, mesh deformations and framebuffer effects to Burnout 3
*and particle effects
>>
>>386114843
Not the anon you were replying to, but "somber" is a pretty accurate description of how it makes me feel. Brought back some specific memories.
>>
>>386116279
>wasn't powerful
Bullshit. As it was already stated on this thread, the GC was vastly more powerful than the PS2 and only falling slightly short of the Xbox. Nintendo always had the most powerful hardware until the Wii.
>>
GameCube is still easily the best console.
Animal Crossing (best one), Baulders Gate, Rogue Squadron, Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Mariokart DD (best one), golf, Harvest Moon, Pikmin, etc etc
>>
>>386116000
>He didn't say that.
ooh, nice save. Pity you didn't read the rest of the thread. m8.

>tantrum
>when I say something, it's reasoned and honest debate. When you say it, it's a barely-intelligible tantrum
k. Seems like the problem here is yours.

These sad Nintendie circlejerk threads are, as I say, embarrassing.
>>
>>386115601
It was? I always heard it was pretty good, aside from the modernizing of jokes (i.e. characters mentioning eBay).
>>
>>386116367
In terms of peak performance, it fits comfortably between the Dreamcast and the PS2.
The Gamecube was simple, cheap, balanced and not limited by obscure bottlenecks, bizarre design decisions or a crappy SDK. It was a well designed and developer-friendly console. But if raw power is your only metric, it doesn't hold up, and there are games which demonstrate this.

>>386116440
>As it was already stated on this thread
By one anon who won't even listen to actual developers? All the facts point to the opposite.
>>
File: image.jpg (187KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
187KB, 600x900px
>>386109823
Absolutley. My reason for getting one was seeing REmake and then realising RE0 was about to get released. I then stayed for all the other goodness. Getting RE4 day one was a game changer, i thought games would never get better than that, at the time the PS2 port was not really a thing and i could not comprehend the idea that so many would miss out on this, or that Gamecube had somehow managed to get exclusivly the best game of the entire gen.
>>
>>386116631
No, it honestly was bad. I have watched a few dubbed episodes and the voices just feel unfitting and the writting feels off. Here's a quick clip but just listen to the voices, everyone sounds so young.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N__e_0KrqtE
>>
>>386111553
Question: what caused the odd rainbow filter you could see in textures in Gamecube games? It was super obvious in RE4 and Code Veronica and you can see a little bit of it on your image on the trees. What caused that?
>>
>great controller

Not with that D-Pad which blows for every possible use for a D-Pad. Though in the context of sixth generation alone I don't remember how the D-Pads for the Xbox were.
>>
>>386116503
no...
the ps2 was the best console of the generation, after it comes gc and xbox...
>>
>>386116968
Xbox d-pad was even poorer. It's not much different to the 360.

Regarding the GC controller I like the ergonomics, the analog stick, the triggers and the button layout. Hate the d-pad and c-stick.
>>
>>386116643
>The Gamecube was simple, cheap, balanced and not limited by obscure bottlenecks, bizarre design decisions or a crappy SDK. It was a well designed and developer-friendly console
In this case then the PSX must be more powerful than the N64.
>But if raw power is your only metric, it doesn't hold up, and there are games which demonstrate this.
Blatantly lying.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixth_generation_of_video_game_consoles#Comparison
How can you look at these and say the GC falls between the DC and PS2?

Nothing in the PS2 comes close to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuIGJsQa5Xs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYIPFXM5IxI
>>
give me a gamecube game to play /v/
>>
>>386117245
Shadow of the Colossus
>>
Xbox > GameCube >>>>> PS2
>>
>>386117136
>In this case then the PSX must be more powerful than the N64.
I never said anything like that though. Please read to the end of the line next time.
>Nothing in the PS2 comes close to this:
Twilight Princess just looks bad. The texture work is just total shit, it doesn't look out of place on the PS2 at all.
As for REmake, it's all prerendered backdrops. Not very taxing on hardware.
>>
>>386117294
stop
>>
>>386113915
>PS2 was a nightmare to develop for

This. The book it came with for devs was as thick as a phonebook and poorly translated and about 90% of the way through you realised you read all that shit wrong, something just made all your understanding irrelevant and had to go back and read it all again.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 1920x1393px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 1920x1393px
>>386115264
>other that being a melee and mario sunshine player

The Resident Evil exclusives, my man.
>>
>>386117079

>PS2
Yeah it had....um.....Battlefront I think?...and uhhhh other games
>>
>>386117451
Why did Sony go backwards on the PS2 in regards to developer friendly hardware?
>>
>>386117601
Because they could. Developers had to develop for the PS2 because that's what everyone owned. Once they were finished turning their code inside out to make it actually run well on the PS2, it was too difficult or expensive to port to other platforms.
Also PS2's bullshit technical specifications made for good marketing.

Sony tried this with the PS3, and you see how it backfired.
>>
File: image.jpg (57KB, 790x410px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57KB, 790x410px
>>386117601
Who knows, maybe they just goofed. They seriously thought the good old blue CD-Roms that had FUCK OFF load times and makes the PS2 disc drive work/spin twice as hard. Those games looked kinda nice at the time but thank fuck Sony had the option to use DVD's instead of CD-ROMs afther that first year.
>>
>>386109823
>sunshine
>good
>>
>>386117875
Yes, it was.
>>
>>386117421
>The texture work is just total shit, it doesn't look out of place on the PS2 at all.
The PS2's texture work is even worse than what the Xbox and GC can do.

>As for REmake, it's all prerendered backdrops. Not very taxing on hardware.
The character models are better than anything of the PS2. I mean the PS2 couldn't even do proper dynamic shadows for fucks sake.
>>
>>386118017
.Arguing about pre-rendered backgrounds
You just lost, then.
>>
>>386109823
> the best Mario games
nope
> the best Zelda games
Wind Wanker
> the best Metroid games
prime is a shit
> Eternal Darkness
good concept, but game sucks
> motherfucking Resident Evil remake, 0 and 4 (the best game ever made)
this
>>
>>386118179
>still can't come up with an argument
>>
>>386118973
shit taste
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.