[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Memes aside this game is very solid and a decent open world game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 156
Thread images: 16

File: maxresdefault.jpg (154KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
154KB, 1280x720px
Memes aside this game is very solid and a decent open world game

However
>final boss (whoever designed this should be shot immediately)
>durability on the master sword (what's the fucking point? it's infinitely usable in the bosses anyway)
>trials of strength (the first half is always fine but the second part is utter garbage everytime)
>ancient beast quests take maybe an hour to complete FULLY
>literally the same enemies recycled 4-5 times, there were maybe 8-9 unique enemy types not including bosses from what i played
>greatswords/axes feel completely awful to use, terribly implemented
>RAIN completely fucking up your exploration at times (is there some way to negate the effects on climbing that rain has? i only found one piece of the climbers set but that didn't seem to help in this situation)
there's probably a lot more but i felt really upset about these things
also you should note that if you removed the triforce emblems and other "zelda-y" things this game would have nothing in common with an actual zelda game which is really sad in my opinion
>>
all you are missing in this post is the following
>7/10
>overhyped
>i regret "purchasing my switch"
>nintendoomed
>>
>>386099589
i played it on the pii u though
i'll buy a switch only for monster hunter or a proper 3d zelda
>>
>>386099506
>>
>>386099506
Still game of the year, faggot.
>>
File: iy3w9dl2xfyx.png (743KB, 552x560px) Image search: [Google]
iy3w9dl2xfyx.png
743KB, 552x560px
This game would be EXPONENTIALLY better with a few minor things
>Remove weapon durability and make it so Link has a shortsword, greatsword, spear, and bow as the game goes on, with the Master Sword replacing the short sword. All weapons have similar movesets anyway, so making this change would change the game for the better. You still have the movesets represented.
>Add in a standard Zelda-style dungeon before each Beast as a way of unlocking the inside rather than having a miniboss with each of the Tribe's leaders. A sprawling complex which requires keys and a map. Keys are already in some of the shrines, too. This would DOUBLE the amount of dungeons in the game, and ensure that half of them can appease traditional Zelda fans, and the other half can be the unique lateral style of the Beasts
>Remove shrines altogether and make all the puzzles encountered in them part of the world. This would cut out so many load screens. You could make a chest at the end contain the Spirit Orb, skipping unneeded cutscenes and loads entirely.
>Remove the mediocre shrines and keep the good ones, like Blue Flame and Trial of Power.
>Remove the Beast Ganon fight entirely, or re-work it in a major way.
>Add actual content to Lurelin Village.
>Require food to be eaten in real-time, and make it so that you can only carry about 4 or 5 meals at a time. This will ensure that people will need to strategically plan out the types of meals they carry, rather than stacking 50 Hearty Wild Greens that you get for cooking a single Durian.
>Completely change how Hearty meals work. Make it so that they restore regular hearts like any meal, but if more hearts are restored than are needed to fully heal, you gain yellow hearts for the amount missed.
That's honestly it. With BOTW, the Zelda team has proven that they listen to fans after Skyward Sword. They've confirmed that the next mainline Zelda will also be open world, so there's no doubt in my mind that the 20th Zelda game will be the absolute best.
>>
>>386100459
I liked Nier Automata better which wasn't exactly mind blowing

>>386100532
>minor things
>change about 90% of how the overworld is built

well i agree that it would improve the game but lets not kid ourselves here
>>
>>386099506
Durability is a good thing. Balances out the loot curve perpetually, keeps combat feeling improvisational.

As far as Divine Beast length, I think they're on the short side mostly because they have significant enemies. People really overestimate how long dungeons take in Zelda games though, the vast majority of them are thirty minutes tops.

You can still climb in rain. Or you could just not climb. There's tons of ways of getting around. Also finding cover and making a campfire negates rain.

I love this game.
>>
>>386101271
>durability is a good thing
i specifically meant the master sword durability or charge or whatever
it's completely fucking pointless as the master sword is ass unless you're in one of those special areas and then there's no need to use weapons anyway unless you're at the boss where the durability is infinite so what's the fucking point?

i don't care about the durability system in general, no encounter lasts longer than maybe one or two weapons and after such you'll mostly end up with a better weapon anyhow

>climb in rain
It's not possible to climb a 90° wall that's say 4 times links height during rain unless you have a lot of stamina upgrades

Try exploring the jungle area with the huge waterfalls and perpetual rain, it's a nightmare from a gameplay perspective
>>
Played this game for like at hour at my gf's house, but hoooooly fuck that weapon durability thing was a terrible idea.
I get the whole open world thing makes straight weapon upgrades a silly idea, since it would lock off parts of the map until you did x to get the good sword, but surely there's a better system to implement than having to rob weapons from corpses every five minutes?
>>
>>386101771
Master Sword isn't that bad, it's still a 30 damage weapon regardless and it fires sword beams. If it were infinite, that'd obsolete every weapon under 30 attack forever.

Also the durability isn't actually infinite even when it's glowing.

I didn't really have that problem with rain. Rain's only perpetual in the thunder plain/Zora's Domain. In the jungle, the main way to gain vertical height is swimming up waterfalls. If you didn't have the Zora gear, you could make your way up with Cryosis instead.

The game gives you a lot of tools to deal with any situation.
>>
File: 15056662387_58e7b214fe_b.jpg (373KB, 730x1024px) Image search: [Google]
15056662387_58e7b214fe_b.jpg
373KB, 730x1024px
>>386101898
>>386101271
I'd love to know the personality dynamics that determine whether someone digs the durability system or not. I personally love it. It solves the problem of "I'm tired of only getting rewarded with heart pieces or rupees".
>>
>>386101271
I agree with OP on the rain to be honest. Got the game a couple weeks ago and really loving it for the most part. But having to stop and wait to climb every single time there's a rain storm is extremely annoying. I really hope they make another patch where they either put in some rain resistant climbing gloves or dramatically tone down the number of times it does rain.
>>
>>386102105
>reading comprehension

i said it's infinite during boss battles

>sword beams
what?

and why shouldn't it make other weapons obsolete? you need a minimum of 40 shrines to get it at which point you'll probably be swimming in 40+ damage weapons
I swear they literally only included it to make the game feel more "zelda" -like because they didn't have a fucking clue on how to remedy their blunder of not making proper dungeons instead of shrines
>>
>>386102324
Same kind of people who hoard their elixirs until they "need it" and end up with 99 after the final boss. The system is really tuned best for using your best weapons all the time without thinking too much about it, because you're always getting better weapons anyway.
>>
>>386102347
Find shelter from the rain (since it's dynamic) and make a campfire, that lets you skip time to when it won't be raining.
>>
>>386102324
Except it creates far more issues than it supposedly solves

It's clear they went for a quantity over quality approach with roughly 50% of the shrines if not more being padding
Had they actually implemented a more elabore weapon system in general with just the base items being findable and having you go around looking for rare stuff to upgrade them with would solve both issues with the only problem here being that the developers would actually have to stop being lazy cunts about one if not the most important aspect of this game
>>
>>386102382
I don't think it's infinite during boss battles either, I'm pretty sure I've run out on a blight.

Master Sword shoots sword beams. Try throwing it, see what happens.

40 shrines isn't really that much. Good elemental weapons for early game have less damage than the Master Sword, stuff only starts outclassing it when enchanted weapons drops. Drop grades aren't based on shrines, they're based solely on Divine Beast completion.

The Master Sword is an iconic weapon and it has an entire area, multiple cutscenes, and unlocks the true ending along with bieng a really good weapon. And it's also completely optional which is nice. There's nothing half-assed about it.

The game had 5 dungeons and more puzzle environments than you could shake a stick it. No idea why everyone bitches about shrines. The puzzle ones are pretty good and reward out-of-the-box thinking, which is something video games in general need a lot more of. The other ones are rewards for exploration which are better than the heart piece they would've been had shrines not existed.
>>
Yes, those are all awful, but
>50% of the game is travelling from point a to b
>content is so spread out its actually tedious, shrines can take as little as 5 minutes, while taking 10 to get to
>shrines and beasts look identical
>pretty hideous visually
>weapons completely ineffective if you go somewhere the game doesn't expect you to
>0 (ZERO) sections that felt like the Zelda games I fell in love with, even the villages barely resembled them
>sidequests had awful rewards if any at all
>tedious distractions such as gathering and cooking ingredients
>find a treasure chest is no longer rewarding as its the equivalent of getting a deny stick in every chest in previous games
I hated it. I can't understand how it has such a massive acclaim. Yes, I hate open worlds, but I was so comfortable buying it because even when it does have that horrible design (eg. Windwaker) I still spend hours at a time in a beautiful, interesting dungeon or village.

I don't think I'd ever buy a Zelda game again after this.
>>
>>386102715
Something can't be padding if it's entirely optional.

They had an upgrade system in the game with findable base items, that was armor and runes. So they already put in the work, which means they weren't lazy.

Durability is a carefully considered and balanced design decision which influences the rest of the game. Improvisitional combat is great and games shouldn't shy away from the concept because some people dislike it.
>>
>>386103036
>>50% of the game is travelling from point a to b
>>content is so spread out its actually tedious,
is there no fast travel?
>>
>>386099506
>removing all the trademark Zelda items doesn't make it a Zelda game anymore
gee, I wonder why...?
>>
>>386103036
>0 (ZERO) sections that felt like the Zelda games I fell in love with, even the villages barely resembled them

What fucking Zelda games did you fall in love with? Zelda 2?
>>
>>386103036
Wind Waker's main dungeons were the worst part of the game.

That said, the Forsaken Fortress was more of an interesting "open world" setting than most of BotW had. I think they focused too much on the "the Wild" part, whereas the interesting part of Zelda-style games are the actual locations you explore.
>>
>>386103036
>0 (ZERO)
Why do people do this?

And noted. Sounds like you already played it and formed an informed opinion on it.

I think any major change in direction is going to have detractors. Personally, I'm glad they're finally off the Ocarina of Time formula. BotW really revitalized my love for the series, and I trust Fujibayashi a lot more now. I had pretty much lost all hope after SS, and this made every change I wanted to see and then some really amazing additions I'd never thought of.
>>
>>386102916
>5 """""dungeons"""""

the master sword doesn't strike me as the fucking OP weapon they canonically make it out to be if I can't even kill normal enemies without it breaking on me after half a minute

it just feels wrong

>>386103092
But 99% of the game is optional, how can you say with a straight face that SOMETHING OPTIONAL IS NOT PADDING IN FACE OF THIS FACT?

>>386103036
have to agree with most of this besides the complaint about visuals, the game looked pretty great on my pii u even

the treasure chests no longer rewarding is especially true
>do a greater trial of strength which takes forever and then get a garbage weapon which is not better than any of the ones I already have in my inventory
>>
>>386103509
>That said, the Forsaken Fortress was more of an interesting "open world" setting than most of BotW had.
What does that even mean?
>>
Threads like these are why I'm glad nobody posting on /v/ actually makes video games.
>>
>>386103605
Forsaken Fortress was a cool nonlinear dungeon you could explore, it felt like a "place" rather than just a dungeon. BotW doesn't do enough of that because it spends too much time in nature instead of manmade locations, and the primary manmade locations are basically just big puzzle boxes.
>>
I didn't really like the dungeons. They were all too simple and had the same aesthetic each time. I know that was kind of the point but it made them visually drab.
>>
>>386101271
While Durability was a good thing. I do think maybe they should have either A) Make them weapons still break, but raise the durability just a tad (cause even with the durability up weapons, they could last like 5 swings ) B) maybe have ways to either pay for weapons or have more weapons that can be remade with hard-to-find materials.

Basically, not dropping the concept but giving more possibilities of choice.
>>
>>386103585
The Master Sword has some of the highest durability in the game, next to the champion weapons. It's not an OP weapon canonically - Link had it in the past and still lost with it. It's an appropriately useful tool in your arsenal and it shoots laser beams.

Anything optional is by definition not padding. You have to be forced to do it for it to be padding, otherwise it isn't actually padding out the length of the game. If I can choose to ignore it, it hasn't padded anything out. Padding is something like the Triforce Shard hunt in WW, where you have to pointlessly go back to Tingle and translate charts and then dredge them up where it's mandatory busywork.
>>
>>386103572
>tfw thinking about this post
>SS as the only zelda game I started and never finished

The boss fights alone make SS a better zelda than all of BotW combined
Now I'm not saying it's a better game but BotW is not a zelda by any stretch of the imagination
>>
>>386103767
I really strongly disagree. You should go back and play Forsaken Fortress because it's functionally linear and it's boring barrel stealth and shimmying are so slow.

Comparing it to Hyrule Castle in BotW is absurd.
>>
>>386102324
Maybe not drop the durability but giving more options to retrive weapons at a cost.

Maybe like:
>you can repair or remake weapons like the Champion ones, but costs a fair share of materials.

That way you can please both the people who go pick up stuff as they go and use, break and collect weapons as they go and the hoarders that prefer to save their best stuff for later.
>>
>>386103862
Well then we don't call it padding and instead just shitty uninspired and boring content that could be removed without detriment to the overall experience

As I was saying 50% of the shrines are terrible and I think the game would be better off if they simply removed all trials of combat and all apparatus shrines and instead made it 2 orbs per upgrade
That alone would make the game a lot more palateable in my opinion
>>
>>386103861
They had B, you could use the champion weapons, which already had some of the highest durability in the game to begin with.

Ultimately I think they made the right choice. At the end game where all of the weapons are insanely durable, the vanilla game already had issues where you'd start outpacing the loot curve and throwing away good weapons. I think Master Mode kind of addresses this, although there's a lot of things they should've probably done instead.

General weapon repairs I'm not sure about. While I can see that being a good option, I think it'd ultimately make the game less enjoyable for the neurotic people who think they have to preserve weapons. The STALKER games introduced repairing after the first game, and that led to a lot more hoarding and running back to hubs, which I think restricts exploration.
>>
>>386104074
Maybe its because I haven't reached all divine Beasts yet and probably I'm not even a third through 100%, but am i the only weird one who likes the Test of Strength?

For someone who sucks at parrying mechanics, it sure helped me improve at parrying without necessary having to re-load files everytime a Guardian killed me.

It also strangely fun having to suddenly deal with a rampaging bot when they start getting crazier.
>>
>>386104029
You just know people would complain its a fetch grind fest then. Its kind of loss loss as good a solution it would be on paper. I liked the durability system because it plays into encouraging the exploration aspect.
>>
>>386104187
I do think if they keep these mechanics, maybe they could give Link some kind of shity melee attack.

It'd be nice that when i break my last weapon, I could at least push an enemy to get a better getaway. His "Oh I have no sword animation" is so small and quick that sometimes goes undetected when I'm in a frantic situation. Having Link do something else would give me a better sign that "Okay, I need to pick a new weapon/need to switch to another weapon)

Maybe its just a me problem, tho.
>>
>>386104074
I don't agree at all. Shrines were paced perfectly and a lot of the apparatus shrines were fine , since again you could solve them in alternate ways with some lateral thinking. You find a shrine every 30 minutes to an hour, and the ones in plain sight always have some kind of activity to them.

>>386104230
I like them too. It was neat seeing all the different robot gimmicks and loadouts, and I like that there was the extra step of having some varied environments, where some shrines had pillars to take advantage or, or some would have water you could use to make cryosis blocks to stop charges.
>>
>>386104410
Well, that's part of the reason why you get a critical hit when your weapon breaks. The big burst sound and blue particle effects let you know it's time to switch. Plus it's a guaranteed knockdown, so it gives you some breathing room.

Unarmed combat would be cool.
>>
>>386099506

The Master Sword is a reward that you use on the bosses, and the weapon system encourages you to keep switching your play style with new weapons.
>>
>>386099589
I've seen plenty of false flagging and this thread looks genuine to me. You just can't handle criticism of something you like
>>
File: 1328160246270.jpg (27KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
1328160246270.jpg
27KB, 330x330px
>>386104445
>First time with a mid-level ToT
>I by accidentally learned that you can actually parry the circular laser attack (the one that prompts the updrafts you can use)
>mfw when i start doing a parrying chain with it like its freaking street fighter III

I am well aware that was pointless and should have simply paraglided up to hit it, but when I pulled it off felt so nuts.
>>
>>386104230
After you've played one, you've played them all

There's actually no point including more than one of each combat trial

>strangely fun

well i'm sure you'll enjoy ganon then

>>386104445
>lateral thinking when you hold the pii u tablet whilst breaking your wrist trying to push the ball into the circle
Well maybe I did overlook some less obvious solutions but only a single one apparatus shrine made me think it was a worthwhile inclusion in any way
The others just made me feel frustrated at
the garbage controls they shove down your throat

Also how can you justify having the same shrine about 40 times?
Because the game world is so big so it's okay?
>>
>>386104717
>you can actually parry the circular laser attack
Well I learned something new. I guess you really can parry everything.
>>
>>386100532
>minor things

dude
>>
>>386104587
Maybe its just a me problem. I just had plenty of bad luck when an enemy is like inches from diying and my last weapon just broke off. having to halt the battle and scout kind of loses my pace. However, this is mostly a nitpick at best.

Another minor thing is that I wish they let you put more weapon cases at your house. I thought it'd be cool to hang all the champion weapons and already that made it so i can't hang on more weapons that aren't bows or shields.
>>
File: 7640945982_391f998ee7_o.jpg (616KB, 1000x714px) Image search: [Google]
7640945982_391f998ee7_o.jpg
616KB, 1000x714px
>>386103036

You must have fell in love with different Zelda games than I did.
>>
>>386104775
There's all kinds of unusual and creative ways to finish apparatus shrines because of physics and inventory tools. Circumventing the rotating torch-cube with some arrows and a campfire was one of my favorite moments in my playthrough.

As for the shrines, I think people tend to view them out of context. They're used as pace markers and for rewards. The ones that are out in the open will always have some complex activity, the ones that are in complex environments to begin with will be blessing shrines.
>>
>>386104775
I can understand why it'd get repetitive, again I don't think I have gone too far before, but I do have the tendency to end up with ToTs in a row whenever I drift from the path for some shrine questing.

Either way I respect your opinion.
>>
>>386105119
>complex activity
>beat on this robot for 3 minutes whilst breaking half your equipment

I mean I'm just nitpicking here but it feels like wasted potential
>>
>>386103874
>SS
>good boss fights

Dude hit the big glowing eyeballs lmao
>>
>>386105406
The indian stone golem fight alone makes SS a better game than BotW
>>
File: 1421595131002.png (54KB, 600x846px) Image search: [Google]
1421595131002.png
54KB, 600x846px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QswAAfAhgwA
>>
>>386105574
>that labyrinth basement guardian graveyard
>>
>>386105486
That was the only good boss in the game and it doesn't make up for three Imprisoned fights.

Besides, I think Thunderblight was better. At least Thunderblight had a moment that stumped me.
>>
>>386105574
>watch the memory in the ruins south of Castle Town
>snaps back to the present
>taking in the ambience
>[frantic piano playing intensifies]
>>
>>386105935
It also doesn't make up for the entire game being tedious fetch quests, offensively linear, and Fi's entire existence.

Skyward Sword is linear. It's not even a real Zelda game.
>>
>>386105935
>implying any boss fight in BotW is worth mentioning
>implying the implication that ANY boss fight in any ZELDA is better than Koloktos

I can't believe my eyes

The blight fights weren't bad by definition but completely and utterly bland beyond measure
Also having the master sword at that point completely trivializes any challenge you might have with the fights

>b-but you dont have to use it
l u l
>>
>>386106192
I'm standing by Thunderblight, that was a standout fight. Koloktos is fun, but Thunderblight had a panic moment I had to think about, and that's very rare in a Zelda game.

Being able to trivialize fights is a good thing in a game as open as BotW. It gives worse players options and makes the world feel like it has more internal consistency. Scaling like an Elder Scrolls game would defeat the purpose of getting the Master Sword.
>>
The game's kind of a slog. I really loved it for the first 20 hours or so, but then it starts taking a tool on your patience. Specially if you're an autistic completionist like me. It's just too much of the same. The game has great moments but it's always a shrine or whatever, it's just so predictable. Basically I agree witb the OP, I like the game but it could have been much better. I hope they keep refining this formula and marry it with more classic Zelda elements like dungeons and items like the hookshot in later instalments.
>>
>>386106556
>a panic moment
Yet again I am at a loss for words, would you mind elaborating?

The lack of difficulty scaling highlights one of the issues with open world games, the bosses being piss easy and downright boring because you unlocked the master sword exploring the massive game world first feels more like a punishment than a reward
It doesn't help the fact that the final boss, which should be balanced around getting the master sword is complete and UTTER garbage mechanically, thematically and in any other way imaginable

Also catering to fucking casuals

>open world games

I wish this meme would end and stop ruining my favorite game franchises
>>
>>386107195
Thunderblight's second phase with lightning rods threw me for a loop until I figured out what to do. Having to think at all in a boss fight in a Zelda game is an accomplishment.

The final boss was fine. The final final boss was bad.

I don't get the complaint about the Master Sword. You were just complaining that it wasn't OP enough, but now you're saying it trivializes all the bosses. I don't agree with either of those statements.

Zelda was open world long before BotW.
>>
>>386100452

I wish Nintendo delved deeper into those link as test subject undertones.
>>
>>386101271
Durability is good at the beginning, bad at the end of the game, there isn't a point in fighting enemies because they have worse weapons than I do so why should I waste my durability on them, it defeats the purpose of combat.
>>
>>386107596
>ganon 1 was fine

>loses half his health immediately if you played the game to any reasonable extent
>90% of this fight ends up with you fishing for arguably the worst mechanic in the game because having 2-3 frame time windows for firing arrows on the pii u sucks massive donkey dicks
>boss visually looks like a complete joke, like a fucking spider from "insert generic COMBAT CONTINENT WEBTOON" merged with ganondorf
I'm saying that the master sword is not as strong as they make it out to be in context of the lore ingame, I mean literally every fucking cutscene someone mentions the master sword and goes "oh shit it's the legendary weapon bla bla bla" and then you beat on moblins for 30 seconds and the fucking thing breaks
It trivializing bosses is also just awful implementation since as I previously mentioned it doesn't actually improve the already lacking bossfights but rather just takes away from the fights since they are way too easy

There's no reason for you to get the master sword before the final boss because A, you don't actually need it at all and B, it hasn't a single positive aspect other than being a semi-decent mid game weapon outside of completely gamebreaking in potentially challenging boss fights
>>
Wait people actually hated the durability mechanic? On the master sword I can understand but on normal weapons? I thought it was a neat way to make sure that people don't constantly use the same weapon changing up their gameplay experience. Also it allowed for actual strategy because it's not just
>get OP weapon
>Destroy every monster with OP weapon
>>
>>386104598
>weapon system encourages you to keep switching your play style with new weapons.
The game only has three weapon types. How does that make you switch your play style when they're all identical?
>>
The game was missing more dungeons like Hyrule castle.
More enemy variety.
Music, I understand what they were trying to achieve, but for me every past zelda had a tune that got stuck in my head, this one has none.
Underground exploring, I mean entering the Forgotten Temple was a great Idea if it had a dungeon at the end instead of a shrine, many places were like this.
And framedrop/freeze issues (although they fixed most of them)
>>
>>386108242
>people disliking tedium because developers can't be fucked to make a more elaborate weapon system and balance the game around that

Durability is shit and your changing up the gameplay babble is utter nonsense
It forces people to use weapons they potentially don't enjoy using because they may not have anything else on hand
On the other hand, people who wish for diversity in combat can always switch their weapons up on the fly

Simply speaking it's a terrible solution to a simple problem that just requires some extra work to fix

>>386108454
>more dungeons like hyrule castle
Can you explain this meme to me?

You can walk straight to the boss, it's not a dungeon in any stretch of the imagination
>>
>>386099506

Rain hinders your climbing but allows you to shield surf on any surface at high speeds. It increases plants mushroom and fruit appearance rates.

It also boosts electric attacks, prevents enemy TNT from wrecking you, and I think boosts ice attacks as well.
>>
>>386108214
The lore where Link had the Master Sword and lost?

You're nitpicking and also making things up. The Master Sword is already one of the most durable weapons in the game and it's pretty good since it's one-handed and does 30 damage. It also shreds guardians and bosses, so it has a specific use as a tool.

Also complaining that the game is easy after you've prepared for hours by finding shrines and getting the Master Sword is stupid. It's all optional. If you didn't need the crutch, you can fight the bosses whenever you want.

Personally I wanted the bosses to be harder, but that's a minor nitpick and up to personal preference so that doesn't reflect poorly on the game to me.
>>
>>386108574
Clearly you didn't understand a single thing I was trying to convey

As I said, all the HARD WORK spent literally farming SHRINES to get the MASTER SWORD crumbles to pieces after getting to use it on the BOSSES because it TRIVIALIZES them to the point of the BOSSFIGHTS being WORSE
This feels like you're being PUNISHED for your HARD WORK getting the MASTER SWORD in the first place, since it would feel like a waste not to use it when it's readily available

I hope I made my point a bit easier to understand for lesser minds such as yourself
Please try to think a bit before responding
>>
>>386108918
No, your point is retarded and backwards. The game is rewarding your choice to do extracurricular activities to get stronger by making you stronger. That's what you're complaining about, the completely clear and natural progression of the game.

What's the alternative? The Master Sword sucks against bosses? You clearly didn't put any thought into this. You're whining because of your own bizarre neurosis instead of making a reasoned argument about game design.
>>
>>386109274
How is it not reasonable to still expect a good challenge from bossfights even if you've geared up with the legendary weapon you can get from ""only 40 shrines ""?

Why not make the master sword weaker against bosses in particular? Why not give the bosses a power up or an extra phase if you're using the master sword?
Because Nintendo are lazy cunts who didn't plan for the majority of players to realistically get the master sword before their second to last divine beast, thusly not balancing it at all

How could I have known I would completely steamroll the bosses after getting the master sword simply because I chose to do this first?
Why am I being punished with boring boss battles because I was eager to explore the world first?

It's LAZY GAME DESIGN and inexcusable
>>
>>386109696
Because then fags like you would complain that it sucked against bosses. In your own retarded lore argument, it's a sword for banishing evil, so that's what it does, it banishes evil.

You willfully and consciously chose to ignore the main objectives of the game so you could do out of the way sidequests that powered you up for hours and hours and you're complaining that they powered you up.

You're being rewarded for powering up by being powered up, so really you're being punished by your own brain because it doesn't work right.

You could also not use the sword.

It's not like the bosses are even hard without the sword. The cool parts of the bosses make them invulnerable for a while anyway, and you can't do enough damage to skip phases.
>>
>>386110042
Thank you anon for putting into words the exact same opinion I have in regards to similar complaints people spout against BOTW.
>>
>>386110042
>You could also not use the sword.

Great argument, really makes sense that I need to restrict myself by not using certain items in order to have an enjoyable gameplay experience

>It's not like the bosses are even hard without the sword
Is that supposed to make the situation better in some way?
If anything you just admitted yourself that the bosses are poorly balanced and my complaint with the master sword is just the cherry on top of the shit cake

>it's a sword for banishing evil, so that's what it does, it banishes evil
Why doesn't it banish evil when I'm out in the field then?
It's completely inconsistent and again goes to show the oversights that developers make when doing open world games

>You willfully and consciously chose to ignore the main objectives of the game so you could do out of the way sidequests that powered you up for hours and hours and you're complaining that they powered you up.

By that logic any game that allows you to do sidequests that "power you up" to the point of completely trivializing endgame content before tackling the main quest is somehow justifiable

How so, how is that fun?

Yet again I have to ask, why is it my fault that the bosses are terribly balanced around one of the CORE ITEMS?
>>
>>386110771
>responding to his last point first as if that'll discredit him towards an audience
You're not arguing to an audience, you're arguing to prove you're right on an anonymous imageboard. Stop being a faggot
>>
>>386108214
>>90% of this fight ends up with you fishing for arguably the worst mechanic in the game because having 2-3 frame time windows for firing arrows on the pii u sucks massive donkey dicks
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>386110961
What's so wrong with that? U mad?
>>
i just Wanted Ganon to be more than a Force of Nature. Ganon as a stupid beast was such a Let down.
>>
>>386103036
>sidequests had awful rewards if any at all
Christ, this. I don't know how many times I was met with just a simple "Thanks!" or a handful of rupees. I wish there was more interesting loot, more armor, more weapons, rather than just the handful of sets we got. Some variety like that would've made the quests more interesting and have more incentive to complete.
>>
>>386110771
I don't really care what you define as an enjoyable gameplay experience because it sounds incredibly stupid. Luckily for me, the development team didn't care either.

The bosses not being hard to begin with completely invalidates your whining about the Master Sword, because however quickly you can kill them doesn't change the parts that have impact.

The Master Sword does banish evil out in the field. It works on consistent rules.

Any game that puts artificial restrictions on side content so that you can't power up is stupid. Almost every RPG and tons of other games work like this. Obivously more people enjoy being able to power up to make progression easier, otherwise the entire RPG genre wouldn't be massively popular.

The Master Sword is an optional power up that you've already described in all caps like a mongoloid as requiring "hard work." So it's not a core item and it's not necessary. It's a power up.
>>
>>386111087
>>386111087
I was saying that I find the flurry rush or whatever it's called to be completely awful and basing what amounts to over half of the final boss fight around that combat mechanic is completely retarded.

You have the option to hit him with arrows mostly at the moment exact he attacks you or shoots at you but that is incredibly hard since I keep getting fucking frame issues and input delay
>>
>>386111295
What the hell would you use this loot on? There are dozens of armor sets in the game, how many did you want? 100 sets of armor?
>>
>>386111380
You can literally flurry rush, parry, or otherwise return any of his attacks. Practise more. You don't need to hit him with arrows. How is it awful? You don't even need to bait anything. Just parry his attacks. Every single one of them has a parry window except for possibly the magnesis-lightning one, which you can turn against him by lifting up one of the pillars with magnesis and holding it against him so he strikes himself with lightning. Jesus christ you don't know how to play the goddamn game.
>>
Was a fucking amazing game. Doesn't deserve all the shitposting at all.
>>
File: 1501135991032.jpg (63KB, 750x540px) Image search: [Google]
1501135991032.jpg
63KB, 750x540px
desu I felt kind of sad I won't get to see what happens after the ending, but maybe I should get a life
>>
>>386111571
It really doesn't. It's so depressingly predictable.
>>
>>386111571
and it actually feels unfinished
>>
>also you should note that if you removed the triforce emblems and other "zelda-y" things this game would have nothing in common with an actual zelda game which is really sad in my opinion

except the fact its the closest thing to one of the 2d games translated to 3d with modern mechanics taken into account

zelda has been far too easy since OOT
>>
>>386111361
There are no things in the game that have """""impact""""". The bosses are ass and any high points the game might've had are dulled by the fact that combat sucks, that enemies are terribly designed and 90% reskins of the stuff you fight in the first 20 minutes and exploration is a complete waste of time since there's literally no point after getting the master sword

Coming from literally every other Zelda game of course I grab the fucking master sword the instant I hear about it because I'd expect it to be an asset, not a fucking crutch

It wasn't hard work to get it either, 40 shrines can be done in the span of a couple hours which in a game this size amounts to literally nothing

As you said, people enjoy powering up with sidequests to make the game easier, not trivialize it.
There's a huge distinction

And I don't understand why you keep jerking off over the fact that the bosses are easy
>>
>>386111520
>literally defending a boss built around a thinly veiled QTE

pathetic
>>
File: latest[1].png (308KB, 394x553px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
308KB, 394x553px
>>386112059
>enemies are terribly designed and 90% reskins of the stuff you fight in the first 20 minutes

I GOT HERE AS SOON AS YOU SAID MY NAME, BOSS
>>
>>386112201
SS was trash, that doesn't make BotW better
>>
>>386112294
BOTW is pretty good though the combat is closer to the 2D zeldas and that is a great thing its all about position and well done maneuvering rather than z targeting and spamming sword swings like an autist

my only complaints about it are the dungeons could use more enemy variety and the rain needs to have some way to mitigate it
>>
>>386112059
You're whining about your own choices playing the game and that the game doesn't accomodate your terrible preferences. If anything, that's the game's merit.

If your point is that you're determined to make the game unenjoyable for yourself by any means necessary, then congratulations, you've won the argument, you're stupid.

Also 40 shrines in a couple of hours? You must be the all shrines speed run world record holder. Very impressive on your first run.
>>
>>386111713
All of the zelda games except zelda 2 and breath of the wild (maybe zelda 1 as well) are similar in their progression, the way they handle dungeons and items and puzzles and story, breath of the wild has hardly anything from what has made the zelda series the zelda series.
>>
File: really wakes my winds.png (51KB, 225x268px) Image search: [Google]
really wakes my winds.png
51KB, 225x268px
>>386112163
>flurry rushes and parrying
>a thinly veiled QTE
Are you fucking kidding me right now? Just pop on Daruk's protection and let it do the boss for you if you're not good enough to parry, anon.
>>
>>386111501
To dress up and look cool? What the fuck else, fag?
>>
>>386112553
well except the puzzles in BOTW are like the old puzzles and the combat feel so much like the 2d games its uncanny it feels tense and demands you attention not that sleep z target and lazily swing from every other 3d zelda game that gets really predicable around 5 minutes in
>>
File: 1500992646217.jpg (10KB, 269x269px) Image search: [Google]
1500992646217.jpg
10KB, 269x269px
BotW is one of the best games ever made - a new milestone in gaming which will be constantly referenced for the next decade.

I love reading how mad it makes the clueless kiddies on here. I don't think I'll ever stop laughing at how /v/ got BTFO by Nintendo.
>>
>>386112658
You're literally asking for useless items.
>>
>>386112531
My point is that the game led me to make it unenjoyable for what I perceive as a fun game by completely trivializing the boss fights which in my opinion should always be the highlight

But it seems you are intent on simply disagreeing with me because

Also I am in fact the wr holder for 40 shrines on my first run, how did you know?
>>
>>386112819
>tfw open world meme becomes more prevalent than ever
>people think this is good development

LOOK WHAT YOU'VE DONE TODD
>>
>ancient beast quests

You mean divine beasts? Why do you guys keep getting thos wrong? The quest literally says "Divine beasts" on title
>>
>>386112934
>I am in fact the wr holder for 40 shrines on my first run
Assuming that's true, that's an utterly retarded way to play the game - running like a maniac from shrine to shrine. BotW is best appreciated at a leisurely pace. You're a fucking idiot boy.
>>
>>386099506
>Solid game
>Open world
Pick one, you can't have both.
>>
>>386112997
the original zelda games where open world you idiot

and someone explain to me how just cause 2 and 3 are not "open air" games
>>
>>386112883
Jokes aside, I think if even just the existing armor sets got some sort of cosmetic difference as they upgrade I would've been satisfied. The fact that there's no cloaked armor in this game is a sin. A lot of the armour was boring visually and I stuck with a mix of the Hylian tunic and knight's bottoms for most of the game since everything else was situational and boring.
>>
>>386113082
speedrunning amirite, hah these idiots
>>
>>386113076

Because he's a shitposter regurgitating shit he's heard about the game. Obviously he wouldn't know anything about it.
>>
>>386112997
There's nothing wrong with the concept of open world games. BotW has some of the same issues which plague all open world games - enemy variety and difficulty balancing for example. But BotW ultimately elevates the entire genre. It's a step in right direction.
>>
>>386113271
whats wrong with BOTW's difficulty balancing?
>>
>>386113271
BotW does !!!!almost!!!! nothing Dragon's Dogma didn't do ten times better

Obviously the interactivity present in BotW is fantastic but that's about it
>>
>>386113135
Personal tastes and opinions are fine, but I get tired of people making objective statements when citing things that are purely subjective, like boring armor and some such. I agree, upgrading armour and their looks would have been cool, but BOTW let's you customize your armor palette a lot already.
>>
>>386113432
I love Dragon's Dogma but that's a load of bullshit.
>>
>>386113432
It does exploration and puzzles infinitely better than DD. Are you joking? DD didn't even have real dungeons FFS
>>
>>386113349
The starts off pretty difficult but the more empowered you become the easier the game gets. I get thats the whole point of player empowerment but once you've played about 200 hours and maxed out certain armor sets the game offers little challenge.

The guardians are terrifying early game, late game the acutally seem cute because they're so easy.

Things like enemy variety and difficultly balancing will always be difficult to do well in open world games - it's an almost inevitable draw back of the genre. But these are just minor niggles. They don't overshadow the fact that BotW is an absolute masterclass in game design.
>>
>>386113432
Gliding, shield surfing, horses, an actually expansive world with interesting stuff in it.

Combat is better in Dragon's Dogma though.
>>
>>386113580
Also interactivity. Scale. Aesthetics. Side activities. Having more than two towns. Being able to swim.

Slight correction, DD:DA had one real dungeon at least. Even if it was one half a dungeon mirrored.
>>
>>386113654
that has always been a thing of zelda games starting out really weakl and being near god status by the time you go to the final dungeon of course in most game the final dungeon is fdar and away the most difficult what im honestly hoping for in the next is world building and exploration like BOTW but with a more traditional dungeon system i think it could work oh and put the hookshot back its one of the few glaring omissions in BOTW
>>
>>386113758
Most of those are subcategories under exploration, but yes, you're correct.
>>
>>386113931
Okay, well, how about just basic controls and movement? That's something that really stood out to me when I tried to play DD again afterwards. BotW feels so good and gives you so many movement options.
>>
>>386114098
That should fall under interaction, I think. Like I said, you're correct and I agree, but many important details that are great about BOTW are what come together to make exploration overall feel good.
>>
>>386114098
>BotW feels so good and gives you so many movement options.
This is a point which doesn't get discussed enough. It's actually mind boggling just how developers lack this simple understanding of making a game *feel* good to play.
>>
>>386103509
>WW temples were bad
Take that back you wrong bitch.
>>
File: wind waker.jpg (198KB, 960x458px) Image search: [Google]
wind waker.jpg
198KB, 960x458px
>>386114484
>>
>>386114457
There's a reason action games are considered fun as fuck
>>
>>386114484
They're fucking terrible.

>>386114547
That block thing is more complicated than the block puzzles in the Wind Waker.
>>
>>386102324
>I love it

your personality type is retardation
>>
>>386099506

>if you removed the triforce emblems and other "zelda-y" things this game would have nothing in common with an actual zelda game which is really sad in my opinion

Oh hey it's this meme
>>
>>386099506

>REMOVE ZELDA NAME AND IT'S

NOPE

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/features/archive/2017/07/04/opinion-separating-a-game-from-its-name.aspx
>>
>played it for 200+ hours
>this game fucking sucks I'm not playing a LoZ title ever again!!
what did they mean by this
>>
>>386099506

That's a nice fair opinion you have, i don't agree with a 3 quarters of your shit but ill give it to you

However, the name argument is trash, please don't be a faggot, the game design is following original NES Zelda and does things to the normal Zelda formula differently, you can't be using this shit excuse
>>
You guys are aware the entire fucking game is about finding different ways to do things right?

Your supposed to do something else when it fucking rains, not the same shit
>>
>>386100532
This
Everything you said would drastically improve this game the only thing that I would add is that the sidequests give you something worth more than opals
>>
>>386111657
>>386111706

>I'm 12 and I think I know how video games work
>>
File: 1499917646449.png (2MB, 1280x1388px) Image search: [Google]
1499917646449.png
2MB, 1280x1388px
>>386105574
>Playing game for first time
>Going to the giant tree near the central Hyrule tower that spawns a great flameblade
>See shooting star
>Want the extra 300 rupees
>Leg it
>Everything's going fine not a single guardian in sight
>Right when when I get close to the star fragment there's a fucking red target on me
>Random guardian just came out of fucking nowhere because it was hiding behind a hill to ambush me
>MFW I only survived because of Mipha's grace
>>
Got bored after doing 3 out of 4 of the Divine Beasts due to the shit scaling that makes everything a cakewalk.
>>
>>386101271
>it's ok when Nintendo
Durability is a lazy as fuck design made in the last minute to force "strategic thinking".
If they really cared what would they do is make every weapon worth trying out and let players experiment with them.
>>
>>386100452
Game of the fucking year.
>>
>the future of Zelda is now shitty skyrim rehashes
Wow...
>>
I have some small gripes with it but think the game is pretty great overall, especially for your first 50 hours or so.

More specifically:

>You can't punch, and there are no fist weapons
>All weapons of a type are identical except for being made of wood or metal.(Some bows also shoot extra arrows, and some weapons have an elemental effect but that's it)
>Enemies are too weak offensively, and silver/gold enemies just have too much hp
>There's actually no way to deal with rain, you can't stick arrows into walls to rest or get gloves with spikes or anything except wait it out
>Not enough enemy variety
>Not enough music(What is there is good, just needs more tracks, it's really jarring hearing the cold weather music for 2 hours nonstop and guardian music every single time there's a piss weak guardian)
>Not enough permanent or unique loot for hard places or quest rewards, it's almost always a shitty weapon or just rupies or a gem. This is particularly shit when you do a long or fun trial like the island one, then get a full 100 rupies as a reward and nothing else.
>Not enough attack varity, all you can do is charge attack, jump attack or do a regular combo.
>Some shrines are poorly made or too short. Combat shrines in particular needed more unique fights and arenas.

There should be alternative combos or something, so every second hit of a big weapon doesn't have to knock an enemy away. Would make combat a lot more fun and less dodge/parry and hit back.

There should have been 4-8ish "mega shrines" that basically mash together ~7-15 shrines with a theme in common(like a power or element), where the later sections of it require you to mix what the earlier sections taught you. Each of these should have their own visual theme with a modified ancient from the combat trial at the end, with extra attacks and weaknesses of the shrines theme.

Thoughts on my ideas?
>>
>>386117565
Keep crying faggot.
>>
>>386117384
>Durability is a lazy as fuck design made in the last minute to force "strategic thinking".
No you're just a fucking idiot who understands NOTHING about game design.

In a game where there no boundaries and you can go anywhere, durability was an inevitable design choice to prevent players from breaking the game. If you chose to, you can get some high-end weapons right at the start of the game (the colosseum is right next to the start area) but those weapons won't last.

Playing a 200 hour adventure with one weapons would also get boring as fuck.

Also, there are high end champion weapons which can be repaired once you earn them.

Complaining about durability is weak. It might no suit everybody but stop trying to pretend it's fundamentally broken. It's not. It works just fine.
>>
>>386119860
I agree that durability is good and helps the game.

But
>Also, there are high end champion weapons which can be repaired once you earn them.

Is bullshit.

They're mid tier at absolute best, and the repairs are literally not worth it for any of them, and it can only be done at one place on the map.

It's more like once you get to late game you just naturally always have full lionel gear except for 1-2 slots.
>>
>>386117384
The entire game and combat system is literally built around it.

>I can't identify, accept, and learn to work with the core combat mechanic of the game so it's the company's fault.

Why do you people play a game where the combat is all about breaking weapons and picking up new weapons constantly and then complain about breaking weapons?
I mean, christ, you don't play an FPS and complain that it's in first person instead of third person and there's too much shooting. You don't go and play a game that is obviously full of fanservice like Nier Automata or Bayonetta and then complain about the fanservice. And if you do this shit, then it's not the game that's the problem buddy.
>>
>>386100532
>>Remove weapon durabi-
stopped reading there
>>
Question to people who dislike the durability system: How do you feel about survival horror games where ammo is sometimes scarce and you have to make do with the tools and weapons you find along the way?
>>
>>386104646
Hahahahaha. Any retard that says it's not a Zelda game is obviously baiting you idiot
>>
>>386120948
I don't get why people dislike the system, it's only a problem during the first hours of the game.

At least i found myself having to get rid of a lot of good weapons just so i could have a shitload of elemental weapons with meh damage.
>>
File: 93845939454.jpg (26KB, 150x188px) Image search: [Google]
93845939454.jpg
26KB, 150x188px
Though i have to say, i only truly HATED 2 things about this game.

>All that loading screen.
>NO FUCKING OPTION TO MAKE YOUR HELMET INVISIBLE

Link's hairstyle is so cool in this game, but you can't fucking see it.
Thread posts: 156
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.