[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>favorite dev leaves the company to strike it out on their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: 1501749408747[1].png (974KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
1501749408747[1].png
974KB, 1080x720px
>favorite dev leaves the company to strike it out on their own
>fails
>forced to work on mobile games forever
>>
Your previous attempt at this worthless thread didn't get enough replies, huh?
>>
>>386032639
such is life
>>
>be high-ranking official in huge company
>have an absolute disaster of a conference which leads to the worst PR the company has probably ever had to deal with
>get fired
>only work on facebook games
>>
>>386032639
>your favorite dev is an egositic asshole who thinks he's better than the rest of his team which helped him make all those games and fails spectacularly without them
>>
>>386032639
Name three games that do this
>>
File: 220px-Smilebit.png (30KB, 220x267px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Smilebit.png
30KB, 220x267px
>Favorite dev just dissapears without any statements

Smilebit, you were the best Sega dev team to ever exist
>>
>>386033229
matrix?
>>
>>386033314
OP's probably referencing them self. The AAA game market has been worse then decimated over the past 15 years. Lots of game devs are forced to work on mobile games they hate.
>>
>>386033813
>The AAA game market has been worse then decimated over the past 15 years.

Because the budgets increased, but the sales stayed the same. They need to make more realistic budgets.
>>
>Favorite company disappears and transforms into something horrible
Fucking Blizzard North, I will never miss those motherfuckers.
>>
>>386033934
>"I'll never not miss(...)"
right?
>>
>>386033930
I wonder where could those budgets be going? Wages have stayed the same or gone down. Art teams have gotten smaller because of tools and you'd think they'd have a strong programming foundation to work off of by now.
>>
>>386033930
Not really. Companies are making massive profits.
What really went wrong is that games became super shallow. If you press a button, your character must do a cool animation. This is the new doctrine.
In the golden days you had a spellbook full of various spells, from damage, buff, debuff, utility.

Now you have this
. . . . . . . .(/\) Fireball
([]) Bigger Fireball (O) Apocalypse
. . . . . . . .(X) Ice bolt
>>
>>386034192

The AAA games have like 300 employees and huge VA list. VA alone costs millions. They're big, bloated projects. All that polish and "cinematic experience" costs a lot. But it means that their profit margins are razor thin. Which is why they nickle and dime you for bullshit now.

Budgets got bigger, but sales stayed pretty consistent through the PS1-PS2-PS3-PS4 era. Something's gotta give.

I'd suggest simply scaling down projects, trimming the bullshit. Dragon's Quest XI has no VA, which is great. They probably saved millions, and allowed their game to have complex dialogue and options.
>>
File: Dangerous_Dave_Romero.jpg (35KB, 620x459px) Image search: [Google]
Dangerous_Dave_Romero.jpg
35KB, 620x459px
>>386032639
mobile gaming was a mistake
>>
>>386034192
Most of it is going into marketing so they can make the gullible idiots buy the $80 digital deluxe edition with the $60 season pass of the same rehashed game every year.
>>
>>386034507
Fuck voice acting
>>
>>386032639
>guy who works a normal job leaves to starty a business and goes all in
He should have made tiny babby mobile games to begin with until he grew into it. I don't get why everyone goes all in when it comes to game devs. Like these companies have a shit ton of money so they can afford to fail because they have warchest cushion money.

This shit is real life iron mode my man stop being so greedy.
>>
>>386034507
That's a mistake, though. Voice Acting adds so much.
Baldur's Gate characters wouldn't be half as memorable without those few lines that are stuck in your head.
>>
>>386034729
>That's a mistake, though. Voice Acting adds so much.

It only doesn't negatively affect the game if it's a low dialogue amount game. Say, the Silent Hill games that only have a few cutscenes. The more cutscenes and dialogue you add, the more VA costs, and the more you have to simplify the dialogue. Reduce the amount of words, reduce the choices, simplify. VA has had a huge negative impact on games like Fallout and other rpg types.
>>
>>386034708
Not how it works my man. Don't get me wrong, you're right that saving money is one of the best ways to start a buisness however you are not going to make enough in a reasonable amount of time. Unless you come from money or are like a really successful lawyer, doctor, etc you will need a small buisness loan or a loan from friends/family. The amount of money to make a game it huge or the time investment is huge. Usually both. Things like video games and movies endlessly suck in money once you start. You always need more.
>>
>big name dev/director leaves the company
>both him and the former company end up for the worse producing mediocre games
>>
>>386032639
MS should get Mistwalker to make another game for them. Give them a huge budget too please
>>
>>386034393
>le good old days
You know you'd hate half of the games you like if they were released today, faggot.
Most of /v/ is like this

You people know that if games like most of the ones you enjoy came out today as new IPs, you'd be hypercritical of them.
>Deus Ex is tinfoil hat wearing bullshit for alt-right nutjobs
>Diablo is a retarded Christfag brainwashing game in disguise. Can't fool me, Blizzard, I know this game is all appeal to emotion.
>Mario is a randumb faggy platformer. Talking mushrooms and evil turtles? They definitely want the Twitch audience for wacky streaming.
>Legend of Zelda? Why do I want to play a game about some gay weeaboo anime swordsman?
>Metal Gear Solid? This is just a meme game. They even mention memes! Why am I just running around in cover while these non-sequitur bad guys attack me in this stupid popamole cinematic """"shooter""""?
>Mortal Kombat? This is just some edgy, attention whoring weeaboo game that wants to try so hard to look Japanese, it's pathetic.
>Sonic? This is just literal furry pandering. There is no reason for a character like Cream to exist outside of loli furry pandering, Tails is for the shotafags, and Knuckles is only there for forced nigger diversity, 0/10
>>
>>386033934
Blizzard north got closed down. They didn't abandon you or turn into what current Blizzard is now.
>>
>>386032639
It turns out being able to draw or write really well does not in fact make you a good business man. Who would have guessed?
>>
>>386035297
I never liked most of those games in the first place.
I'm mainly talking about games actually being slow paced because it wasn't designed for people who had a 5 minute attention span.
And there used to be real RPGs, instead of every. single. rpg. being a version of action-RPG with dodging/parrying mechanics instead of numbers.
There also used to be more than 5-10 spells in the game. I don't remember the last time I saw a satisfying spell system in a modern RPG.
>>
File: disgusted cat.jpg (8KB, 269x211px) Image search: [Google]
disgusted cat.jpg
8KB, 269x211px
holy fuck, just found out Tim Cain is a fucking homo

figured he'd work at Obsidian
>>
>>386033462
xbox
>>
>>386035503
Yeah, I just started DQ4 DS version the other day since I saw it cheap at a used game store. Can't remember the last time an RPG wanted me to grind this much even though its just for gear. I'm not even very far into the game. Just starting chapter 2 and want to get decent armor for the whole team takes forever.
>>
>>386035265
>Mistwalker 360 exculsive

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck that. Only dudebros play Xbone.

Steam/PS4 is how it should be.
>>
>>386034507
>just downgrade all your shit
>gamers arent the most entitled little cunts
yea lets see how that works out for their sales
>>
File: IMG_2262.png (2KB, 32x22px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2262.png
2KB, 32x22px
That guy behind FInal Fantasy Tactics. Matsuno or something?
>>
>>386035061
>The amount of money to make a game it huge or the time investment is huge.
People are cranking out perfectly functional prototypes in game jams.
>>
File: schafer_2.png (447KB, 1438x809px) Image search: [Google]
schafer_2.png
447KB, 1438x809px
>>386032639
Making mobile games is a SHITLOAD harder than making normal games.

On a technical level, they present far less challenges, but on a creative level?
On an audience immersion level?
On a mechanical and feedback level?
Mobile has a fuckton more challenges than AAA ever will. There's no captive audience. No console fanboy to prop your shit up before it even launches, no genre zealot eagerly anticipating your game.

You have to sell them on it from day one, and in a window of about 2 minutes using only their thumbs and a VERY short attention span.

That is FUCKING HARD compared to the retard who just plopped $60 on his ME:A preorder and does mental gymnastics to justify it while watching the intro cinematic designed using Hollywood models to skullfuck every square inch of their senses into complacency.

Also mobile generally pays more because there's far more money both in salary and expected payout for a success title than console ever has. Revenue from AAA goes right back into the fuckhuge marketing budget. Revenue from mobile pays apple off for ads and then the rest goes to the studio.

It's just that for the lucrative potential, making mobile games is both harder to pull off a success from, far less stimulating to work on, and a pain in the ass in general.

But that's the state of the industry. PC/Console has become so shit to work in without Unions and more open office wagecuck bullshit to cut corners, that mobile has become the goal of every dev just for staying afloat.

t. Game Dev
>>
>caring more about the developer than the game itself
Nu-/v/ is braap
>>
>>386032639
It's all about marketing. If you don't put enough money into it, you almost always fail.
>>
>>386036093
And? That's not a full game. You're just proving my point that you know nothing of funding a project like a game.
>>
>>386036094
>mobile games are hard
Just make 10 angry bird reskins, viral them and hope one of them gets picked up. It's mostly down to luck.
>>
>>386036094

I sincerely do not understand why AAA doesn't scale down.

They can't keep introducing new monetary incentives to keep the industry running.

Its going to culminate at some point.
>>
File: bonfire-studios.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
bonfire-studios.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>386032639
>everyone who has left blizzard
>>
>>386036168

Do you know what kind of work environment game development entails?
>>
>>386036442

We're never gonna have a "crash", but I do expect many AAA series to crash and only a few remain. Then A to AA being the max for most series.
>>
>>386036218
If you can get that much done in just 72 hours, the rest is not going to take years.
>>
>>386036728
>You're just proving my point that you know nothing of funding a project like a game.
>>
>>386034959
Voice acting was a main factor in the sinking of the TORtanic.
>>
>>386036609
Anet is doing fine
Too bad guild wars 2 sucks ass, I was a big fan of the first one
>>
>>386036658
I don't fucking care, i only care about kino games
>>
>>386034959
But there are also people who believe EVERY game needs to be fully voiced. A friend came by back when Twilight Princess HD came out and saw me playing it, his complaint was that there was no voice acting.
He still complains that EVERY OUNCE OF DIALOGUE in Breath of the Wild should be voiced, not just the big cutscenes.
These people exist and they buy games as well.
>>
>>386037274
>A friend

And you didn't explain to him why that's retarded? he's asking for millions to be added to the budget meaning, and even more since it'd be both English and japanese dub. All that wonderful dialogue he'd love would be cut in half, with fewer characters, fewer scenes. Explain to him that VA is not free and that it comes with various costs and impact on the game.
>>
>>386036609
>"Inspired by Hearthstone success" Studio
Oh boy can't wait
>>
>>386036817
>here's another non-argument
>>
>>386037453
I tried. He said in modern games they need to have it. He basically went "THE CURRENT YEAR" on me. Normies are all idiots and just want cinematic experiences.
>>
>>386035603

You played through Masquerade Bloodlines and never pieced that together?
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.