[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>People say X jap made game has great writing >Check it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

File: 1490328894488.jpg (53KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1490328894488.jpg
53KB, 480x480px
>People say X jap made game has great writing
>Check it out
>It's barely better than your typical anime
>Characters constantly spout and quote philosophies like they're pretentious high school students (after writing that I realize that's actually the case in some)

Every. Single. Time.
>>
What's the game you're referring to? No video-game has a great writing, with some exceptions like The Last of Us, but even that one can't compare to the best films or books.
>>
File: 1485197226658.jpg (65KB, 357x399px) Image search: [Google]
1485197226658.jpg
65KB, 357x399px
>>386029509
Nier Automata
>>
>>386028312
Japs give too much exposition and in the worst spots, like all of persona 5s dialogue was just spouting exposition. No mystery, no actually figuring anything about these kids out
>>
>falling for gook games are good meme
Stop listening to deranged weebs
>>
>>386028312
>jap made game has great writing
Impossible
>>
File: 9362356b.jpg (49KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
9362356b.jpg
49KB, 1024x768px
>>386028312
>Every. Single. Time.

Looks like someone hasn't been playing his well respected old-ass rpgs.

Like Suikoden 2, which sports heroes like Luca here, who is a well written philosopher general with an eternal desire to bring diplomacy and peace to the masses.
>>
>>386028312

And yet, that's still preferable to the godawful writing in western games. Either it's constant memes and crude humor, or it's faux olde english and tolkien/game of thrones ripoff fantasy bullshit. "My lord, there are dark tidings from Northrim, where an ancient evil stirs..." Jesus dick shut the fuck up I've heard a million near-identical variations of literally everything anyone says in those shit games. Swap orcs and elves for zombies or space marines, it's all the same shit.

Japanese games at least tend to be distinct, even when the translations are shoddy.
>>
Western game writing isn't any better, because they are writing for video games. Is where you write if you couldn't hack it in film.
>>
>>386030460
Well, there is Silent Hill 2. And if we extend writing to general narrative direction/plot, there are also games like Shadow Of Colossus and Ico, which are pretty impressive as far as storytelling goes.

That said, a lot of what weebs praise as good writing usually isn't good writing. I understand the appeal of their approach (I was a weeb once too), but most of it is very deeply entrenched in the standards of Japanese pop-culture storytelling, which usually throws away any semblance of subtlety and usually psychology too.

>>386030919
Dude... no. At the ABSOLUTE best you can argue that neither is particularly better than the other, but pretending that Japs have more variety than west is a joke.
>>
>>386029603
This is 100% accurate. Fuck that game. I wanted to love it but god damn.
>>
File: 1474800920009.jpg (111KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
1474800920009.jpg
111KB, 960x544px
>>386028312
But Seiko was killed
>>
File: Adam.png (455KB, 428x1188px) Image search: [Google]
Adam.png
455KB, 428x1188px
>>386028312
>>386029603
The only characters in Nier to actually spout and quote philosophies is Adam, who is intentionally supposed to be a parody of pretentious chuuni JRPG villains, and Jean-Paul, who is literally a fedora-tipping machine.
>>
>>386031502
There aren't. I don't understand this meme.
>>
>>386031502
Size, mostly. Probably format, too.
It is easier to edit together a 1 hour TV serial or 2 hour movie than an 80 hour game, especially if you want to include side content and optional objectives and audiologs and everything else.
It's also a hassle that game development buys into 'rockstars'. It's plain to see how Metal Gear's writing began deteriorating the more important keeping Hideo Kojima in the spotlight became.
>>
>>386031502
>How come there are so few well written games?
A) it's a young medium that has still not been particularly explored, and has virtually no academic expectation pressure on it yet
B) writing is not inherently important or vital to commercial or critical success, resulting in lower pressure on this particular aspect
C) we live in an era where dissolution of traditional value systems and general relativism makes quality-expectations difficult to maintain to begin with across all media. This is a medium that is almost entirely maintained by young people who are raised in radically post-modern mindset, or people who deliberately embrace self-indulgence: neither of those two are particularly conductive to raising the standards.

There are some well written games out there already, proving that the problem is not inherent to the medium, but more of a growing pain/symptom of an unfortunate era thing.
>>
>caring about writing in vidya
Read a book, niggers.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.