[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into the old dungeon crawler type of game after

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (30KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
30KB, 640x400px
I want to get into the old dungeon crawler type of game after all the recent Grimoire memery.

Which Wizardry should i play? There's like eight of them, and are they as ridiculously hard as that one meme picture of the party encounter with stupendously strong monsters that all could 1-hit kill your party?

I'm accustomed to old, clunky games, so intuitiveness isn't a problem.
>>
Does anyone have a copy of the game Wizards & Warriors? Heard it's good and would like to play it, but I can't find it anywhere.
>>
>>385972568
>Which Wizardry should i play?

Anything but 4 basically. pic related.

>There's like eight of them

WAY more than that. Most are exclusive to Japan.

Here are basically the best ones:
>I-II-III (Japanese remake of the first 3 games on 1 cartridge for SNES, there's a translation patch)
>V (SNES version)
>VI (Japanese SNES version, there's a translation patch)
>7 (PC)
>8 (PC)

6, 7, and 8 (and to a lesser extent 5) are THE most infinitely replayable turn-based dungeon crawling WRPGs EVER. You can easily sink HUNDREDS of hours into them. 6 is probably the single most "beginner friendly" game in the series, while 8 is probably the "best".

>are they as ridiculously hard

Yes. None of them come even remotely close to 4 in terms of difficulty, but Wizardry singlehandedly proves that all the people who think "RPGs can never be hard" are objectively wrong.

Like I said, Wizardry is fair if you stick to the versions I recommended above (which also incidentally happen to be the best looking and most fun as well, in addition to the easiest [relatively speaking]), but they ARE hard. To a degree that you will NOT be used to from the RPG genre.
>>
bumping for OP
>>
Emulate 6
>>
File: wiz_6 rebecca.jpg (203KB, 1029x794px) Image search: [Google]
wiz_6 rebecca.jpg
203KB, 1029x794px
I think Wizardry 6 aged pretty well for a DOS RPG. It doesn't try to fuck with you with bullshit maze layouts and teleport traps either.
>>
>>385976130
fuck that, the snes version is superior
>>
>>385976358
The SNES (and NES) ports completely redrew the graphics and they look GORGEOUS. The SNES games legit have THE best monster designs I have EVER seen in a RPG.
>>
>>385972568
go pic 1,2,3,4,5 for ps1 and then 6,7(DOS) ,8 for PC
>>
>>385972568
What ended up happening with Grimeme? I had no internet for a while.

And to contribute >>385976358 is correct.
>>
>>385978000

Supposed to end up on Steam at 9pm EST last night, still not there, literally went from "This item will unlock in less than an hour" to "Coming Soon This item is currently not available".

So basically it's still stuck in limbo while Cleve goes on a McDonald's run.
>>
I'm thinking about starting with Lands of Lore for my first dungeon crawler. Good place to start?
>>
>>385972568
>>385977850
WHAT ABOUT THE PS1 COLLECTIONS OF WIZARDRY
>>
>>385972568
The old Wizardry games can be kinda balls if you're not familiar with the genre, but the ps2 one should ease you into things.
>>
>>385979412
never played them personally, but bump for this guy
>>
>>385973736
Huh, never knew you're supposed to play the patched Japanese version. Thanks.
>>
>>385976130
I remember getting stuck at the pyramid and not being able to progress
>>
Holy Christ, I remember this game from back during the usenet days. It's finally coming out?
>>
>start up a japanese wizardry game
get http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKMw2it8dQY
Why
>>
I bought a Wizardry game on PS3, biggest waste of money.
Only had two fucking dungeons.
>>
>>385973736
>VI (Japanese SNES version,
I know the original PC version is fuck ugly to both the eyes and ears, but you can't import your 6 save in 7 this way. I don't think it's a good suggestion.
>>
>>385982254
The first game only has ONE.
>>
>>385982672
Play both versions.
Not like you have to use the same parties.
>>
>>385972568
>Which Wizardry should I play
For the first few three I recommend playing the "Wizardry I-II-III: Story of Llylgamyn" romhack translation (Snes or PSX, I don't recall if the latter was utterly superior or just a bit better), since they contain all the good stuff and have some graphical and quality of life improvements.
Wizardry 4 is probably the hardest, and most bullshit (read: realtime pressure in a turn-based game), dungeon crawler ever made so that's only if you're in for a challenge. (and even then you're 100% going to need a walkthrough for the best secret ending)
Wizardry 5 has a SNES version that's pretty good.
Wizardry 6 and 7 are different engines, and arguably the best in the series depending on your taste. Wizardry 6 has a good SNES version (contains automapping etc) but the PC version can import your party for an easier start in Wiz 7 (there are otherwise savegame editors so YMMV).
Wiz 7 original is probably preferable to Wiz 7 Gold as it may look better but has issues with full keyboard support and lots of bugs and stuff.
Wiz 8 is pretty good, though there's a set of people who can't stand it (Cleve included), but the Wiz8Fast fix is absolutely mandatory to not go insane from the slowass animation speed.
>>
>>385981545
what?
>>
>>385982117
That one is interesting solely for being the only game in the series that doesn't use a medieval theme.
>>
>>385982254
The interesting japanese Wizardries that actually seem to bring forward the genre like "Busin 0: Wizardry Alternative Neo" haven't been translated unfortunately.
>>
>>385976358
But party importing to 7! I need that shit like oxygen so I need to play the PC version.
>>
>>385984408
>(read: realtime pressure in a turn-based game)
Trebor's Ghost isn't even the worst of it.
Wiz 4 has a game over limitation on how many keystrokes you get to make and that includes invalid keypresses.
>>
>>385985253
What the flying fuck?!
This is the first I've heard of this (mostly because I never looked up much of 4).
What the hell were they thinking?
>>
>>385986119
Fans complained Wizardry 1-3 were too easy. So the devs gave them a challenge.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.