[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

starting to see why people don't like BOTW. once you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 14

File: riceballs.jpg (527KB, 1000x420px) Image search: [Google]
riceballs.jpg
527KB, 1000x420px
starting to see why people don't like BOTW. once you're done with the divine beasts and get the master sword there's nothing to except fetch old people some apples.
>>
>>385944141
I have that problem with every single open world game.

No matter how much I like the game it always ends up feeling empty by the end.
>>
>>385944141
>>385944685
Difference with BOTW is you can beat the game as soon as you get bored. It's not expected of you to do anything.
>>
>>385944141
>once you're done with the divine beasts and get the master sword
which in my case was well over 120h into the game. Thus I really don't see the issue.
Heck, I'm still finding new stuff even now, ~220h into it. Like I only couple weeks ago finally found the Shield.
>>
I sold it after about 10 hours played. I hated absolutely everything about it, and for me it wasn't even remotely Zelda.
>>
File: CeKBCIbUUAAD5fO.jpg (62KB, 541x601px) Image search: [Google]
CeKBCIbUUAAD5fO.jpg
62KB, 541x601px
>>385945852
>and for me it wasn't even remotely Zelda
too bad?
>>
>>385945852
at that point, few have even left the Plateau for good. Such a shame.

Not to mention in many ways, it's practically the most "Zelda" game of them all, bearing resembles with THE LoZ.
>>
>>385946689
LoZ had item progression. BotW gives you all the items you need in the first hour
>>
>>385944141
>once you put 20-30 hours into this game, there's nothing to do that I feel like doing
lol
>>
>>385944141
I'm just happy people are waking up to the fact that nintendo remains shit and has always been shit. People just like the zelda games due to blind nostalgia, they are actually all trash and anyone who says otherwise needs to get off Reggie's dick
>>
>>385946689
OoT takes the best approach. You can clear the dungeons in any order after the timeskip.
>>
>>385947184
sorry i just feel like if i haven't finished the game I should enjoy completing the rest of it instead of feeling like it's a bunch of fetch quests.
>>
>>385947184
It's all downhill after the great plateau, with a few brief peaks at kakariko and zora's domain. I didn't even like the west side of the map. Everything there was shit
>>
>>385944141
joke's on you. i did all that first.
>>
Same with every open world game. Difference is that you can put at least 3 times more hours into this game than any other Zelda.
>>
>>385948454
>It's all downhill after the great plateau
That is such a blatant lie. GP is basically the training wheels section of the game.
>>
>>385947391
>BotW is breaking more franchise staples than any other Zelda
>nostalgia
Just make up your mind you retards. Either it's too different to be Zelda or it's always the same, either it's nostalgia or not nostalgic enough. I get that /v/ isn't all the same person but people complaining about games tend to spout the most non-sensical polar opposites with as many buzzwords as they possibly can.
>>
Isn't the same shit applicable to Majora's Mask? If you've already cleared the Beasts you should have basically beat the game already.

The main thing BotW does right is there's no vast expanses of nothing. It's like an amusement park. Every area has a purpose.
>>
>when you finish the game, there's nothing left to do! 0/10!

do some of you faggots ever try to hear the shit you're saying?
>>
>>385944141
>finish the game
>WOOOOW THERE'S NOTHING TO DO!!
>>
>>385944141
Damn, once you've finished the game and there is only optional random shit left, it isn't as fun anymore?

HOLY SHIT, no way.
>>
>>385946961
>LoZ had item progression
so does BotW. Even more so than LoZ in fact.
While it's possible in theory to beat Ganon with them wooden sticks and shit, it is veeery unwise and super challenging. Just like it's possible to beat LoZ without a sword.

BotW actually has a dynamic enemy AND gear "level up" system going on, with stronger gear and foes starting to appear more and more commonly the longer you've played the game. In my 200h save, it's hard to find anything weaker than Royal gear.
>>
When you start to get sick of the game just beat it and stop trying to milk 600 hours off of the game. I had the same issue trying to farm those stupid fucking meteorite star shits to fully upgrade a few armor pieces and by the time I finally decided to beat the game I was just doing it to get it over with and it kinda left a sour taste. I didn't even buy or plan to buy the DLCs because I put too much time into it already.
>>
>>385949618
that's definitely the game's strongest point. i can just wander aimlessly in the game, not following waypoints on my compass and usually find cool stuff. i've never played another open world game that does that so well.
>>
>>385948937
stop. sucking. nintendos. dick.

Is that too hard to understand?
>>
>>385944141
>a game finishes when it is over

never change /v/
>>
File: D.jpg (24KB, 640x368px) Image search: [Google]
D.jpg
24KB, 640x368px
>this thread
>>
>>385951121
>Stop. Liking. What. I. Don't
Has it ever occurred to you that people can enjoy something without being a blind fanboy
>>
>once you're ready to beat the game there's nothing to do but beat the game
woah
>>
>>385951121
>stop liking what I don't like
Oh wow can you be a more immature fucknugget?
>>
Are people really complaining that a game being just about done after 120+ hours is bad?
l m f a o
>>
File: 1496885849217.gif (493KB, 496x279px) Image search: [Google]
1496885849217.gif
493KB, 496x279px
>>385944685
stalker does not have this problem.

why did stalker have to die
>>
File: 1501635409692.png (54KB, 200x211px) Image search: [Google]
1501635409692.png
54KB, 200x211px
>>385951642
Man I can't wait for the sequel with a more "full" world.
And MORE references to past titles!
>>
File: S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Winter.jpg (765KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - Winter.jpg
765KB, 1920x1080px
>>385953097
http://vip.aersia.net/mu/stalkercop-outro.m4a
>>
>>385944141
I think every game would be better if they just cut away the shitty side quests.
At least in BotW there aren't that many of them
>>
>>385952342
>>385952873
Hi Reggie!
>>
>>385953585
Hi cumguzzling, buttmad faggot.
>>
>>385944141
maybe one day we'll get a zelda game with more story elements in it once miyamoto retires/croaks
>>
>>385953814
>calls me a faggot
>keeps shilling
This is why I love this place
>>
>>385944685
I had that with other 3d zeldas too though, especially MM. In fact, with every good game that isn't completely linear to some extent.
>>
What makes it good is that you can do that shit whenever you want in any order you want. This also means it's probably less replayable than other games (the ones with actually good pacing), though.
>>
>>385954004
>still a cumguzzling, buttmad faggot
>>
>>385950017
Some people hate enemy scaling.
>>
>>385954475
based
>>
File: 1486441414644.png (191KB, 419x398px) Image search: [Google]
1486441414644.png
191KB, 419x398px
>>385944141
>I finished the game and now there's nothing to do! This game sucks, man.

I bet your next post will be, "I was pretending to be retarded."
>>
>>385947427
This isn't exactly true, you need to do forest before water and spirit, and you need to do forest, fire, and water before shadow.
>>
File: m.gif (2MB, 460x359px) Image search: [Google]
m.gif
2MB, 460x359px
>>385946689
>most Zelda game of them all
this a problem for me, I know Nintendo likes to stay true to their series but they should have diverged a bit more. the game really is Zelda I but on a 3d plain.
>>
>>385954256
>What makes it good is that you can do that shit whenever you want in any order you want
I am generally always appalled when people say this about this being a good trait in video games. What you don't realize is that this freedom doesn't make a game good. It doesn't even make it a game. You're literally playing in a sandbox and is no longer considered a game. It's considered playtime, you know the same thing kids do on the playground. The very audience this game was made for.

So tell, guy who is a minimum age of 18...are you younger than 18? If not, why are you playing botw? Are you perhaps autistic?
>>
>>385953932
>game with more story elements

Go play some a jrpg or Sony game if you want that.
>>
File: tweeten-1499656231213.jpg (18KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
tweeten-1499656231213.jpg
18KB, 500x322px
>>385955114
>>
>>385947427

OoT's approach is pretty good, because you can do a lot of things before even going into the Forest Temple. I just wish Shadow wasn't cutscene-locked behind Fire and Water, something item-related like Spirit would have been smoother.
>>
>>385955204
t. miyamoto

retire already
>>
>>385953932

Play SS if you want a diarrhea-tier story.
>>
>>385951448
but the game isnt over? zelda's always had good sidequests and they couldn't bother to put any good ones into this shit.

zooming through four "dungeons" and a final boss is fun right????? right??
>>
@385955114
(You)
>>
>>385955254
That was fine as it was. You don't need a reason to do everything nor do you have to have all temples available right away. That cutscene helped set the tone for going into the shadow temple, which was necessary.
>>
>>385950017
That's not really item progression since there are only essentially 3 different weapons with modifiers and different numbers on them, and only a few with slight variations. Excluding a very small number of armor upgrades, items are never necessary to access a new area or be able to get through old ones more efficiently, which is kinda the point of item progression in the first place.
>>
>>385944141
the Master Sword wasn't even good to begin with, it was weak as fuck comparing to better equipment you find a later in literally any corner (Royal stuff) and it still breaks like any other piece of equipment

Divine Beasts were disappointing attempts to inject some dungeons in the rushed final months before release. They're all basically a single room with a (sometimes) easy puzzle to get to the boss. The boss is the same basic form with recolors/slight design changes and different patterns. It's like fighting OoT's Phantom Ganon four times in a row and that's it, no more boss variety.

Rushed as fuck game overall, it feels like they spent half a decade fine-tuning the physics, map size and lighting. Small puzzles x120 can't save it either.
>>
>>385950017
Botw is not item progression. It has no progression at all because you guys believe higher numbers means progression. True progression would be slowly having challenges tested linearly against Link's growth. Barring whether this game would have been open or linear, you NEED the world to change and open to the player in order to test against said challenge. It not only serves narratively, but also to the player themselves to see their progress.

All open world games suck at this. They way to fix it is to actually make a game that adapts to what you do, which is the major flaw of most open world games. None of the devs, including Nintendo, never change the game world as the player progresses. Enemy scaling is the laziest way to do this. No one tries to adjust the remaining challenges or locations as the player grows because they would require effort. And since no modern game company likes effort, they were better off just making a more linear game if they didn't want to put in the work.
>>
>>385954256
>What makes it good is that you can do that shit whenever you want in any order you want
While it does give BotW a great sense of freedom, this creates problems by limiting the design space. There can be no difficulty progression, and puzzles can never build on concepts introduced earlier in the game since there is no "earlier in the game" to introduce concepts. As I'm typing this, I realized the Plateau exists, but for as good as it is, the puzzles are simplistic. I guess my point is that every focused section of BotW (shrines, beasts) falls apart because they can't be complex.
>>
>>385955114

Have you played the post-Miyamoto 3D Zeldas? This is how they operated:

>Help/talk to these people
>Unlock dungeon
>Do dungeon
>Enter next area
>repeat until final dungeon
>game over

BotW still has the first three points, but adjusts it so that you can do them in the order you want, as areas aren't locked behind dungeons. There's no companion that forces you do the Big Dick Dragon Dungeon before going to Sheep Land. This is a much smoother way of doing the Zelda formula, as it gives the player some choice while not smothering them.
>>
File: 1493123390506.png (173KB, 308x326px) Image search: [Google]
1493123390506.png
173KB, 308x326px
WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

WHY CANT DEVELOPERS JUST MAKE GAMES THAT HAVE 500 hours of fresh constantly fun content.

Its totally not unreasonable to expect such things.

I know this because playing a ton of games makes me an expert on theoretical game development and limitations.
>>
>>385955978
A good game hides a formula well. A bad game does not. A bad 3d zelda was the latter. The former was Ocarina of Time. Botw's formula is very simple and obvious:

>get shrines for increased hearts
>get korok seeds for increased inventory space
>eventually defeat Ganon
>>
>>385955978
The problem is that the dungeons have to all be pretty easy, since the game doesn't have a chance to introduce you to concepts and therefore can never test them.
>>
I think my biggest problem with BOTW was how the shrines never matched with the game world. instead of having more cool things to find and discover in the open world with lots of cool side stories and meaningful sidequests, everything just leads to a shrine. To me, the joy of exploring was cut because I knew that every time I would go out, the only things I was meant to find were shrines, and not some cool NPC side quest, a secret dungeon with possibly a cool item inside, or a cool unique boss fight, but just a shrine with a simple puzzle within it.
>>
>>385956113
Pretty much this.

And the final clash against Ganon won't even feel like you accomplished anything. It left me wondering if they had enough time to design the final areas and bosses. Even Hinoxes are better designed than the stupid final Ganon.

The game just acts like
>Hey, he defeated the first form of the final boss, what should we do now?
>Let's throw him on a grass field and place a test, unfinished model with barely any attack patterns and difficulty curve to make this game last a bit longer
>Also throw a horse so people might pretend they're dodging his attacks effectively
>>
>>385956002
Ocarina of Time might be the best 40 hours you'll ever spend with a Zelda, and the world was just big enough back in the day. Hyrule Field was a tech demo of how far the N64 could render a play field.

Even so, even being empty as fuck, it didn't ruin the experience because everything else was so well designed to be remembered and discussed by decades.

You can't say the same about Breath of the Wild.
>>
It's an overrated game.
>>
I hear a lot that people spent over one hundred of hours playing Botw, but they never realize you likely only spend 20 of them actually doing something.
>>
i knew it was overrated before everyone else here was born honk
>>
>>385952342
well that's what he is so probably not
>>
>>385944141
>once you're done with the divine beasts and get the master sword there's nothing to do
Except finish the game and stop playing instead of forcing yourself to sink in hours into something you stop enjoying in a game that lets you stop playing without dropping it.

>WOAH, THANKS NINTENDO. I SURE WANTED 120 SHRINES AND 900 KOROK SEEDS. I AM UNABLE TO IGNORE ANYTHING AND HAVE TO FINISH THE ENTIRE GAME 100% OR ELSE
>>
>>385945578
You might have autism
http://www.childautism.org.uk/for-families/autism-helpline/
>>
File: 1501640678234.jpg (17KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1501640678234.jpg
17KB, 500x375px
>When you beat a game there's nothing else to do
Golly Gee I never knew what's next when you beat Cortex in Crash Bandicoot 3 you have nothing else to do so the game was boring?
>>
>>385957439
>Except finish the game and stop playing instead of forcing yourself to sink in hours into something you stop enjoying in a game that lets you stop playing without dropping it.
I always wonder why gamers these days don't realize they can just stop playing a game when they're done with it. It almost feels like they are obligated to keep playing it as if it's the only thing they live for.
>>
>>385958202
And it's not even that. It's like people complaining about graffities in San Andreas or relics in FarCry 3.
>>
>>385957490
>If you enjoy something I don't like, you might have autism.
>>
File: IMG_20170802_133712_228.jpg (26KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170802_133712_228.jpg
26KB, 320x400px
>>
>>385956113
OoT's formulaic design is borderline nauseating though.
>>
>once I've beaten the game there's not much to do
>>
>>385959130
Said no one ever

>still the top game of all time on almost every game site
>>
>>385959441
why are gamers entitled to think that a game cannot be over once done? Open world has ruined everything
>>
Shrines and Korok seeds didn't justify the world's scope. Empty and boring.
>>
>>385955390
I liked SS...
Why do people always shit on it? I incorporated some very unique elements.
Shit on TP, that game was just an edgy OoT with an empty Hyrule Field
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.