[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite mystery solving gmaes? I don't think there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 13

File: 1474431518485.jpg (121KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
1474431518485.jpg
121KB, 460x215px
Favorite mystery solving gmaes?

I don't think there's a game out there that does it better than the recent Sherlock games. Crimes and Punishment and The Devil's Daughter are the epitome of this genre for me.

You gather evidence, clues, solve puzzles, interrogate witnesses, catch onto tells when they're lying and then there's a system where you have to go a list of connections and possibility to come to you conclusions. I love how you can go through the investigation, miss one cruical clue, and wind up with a completely different outcome, arresting the wrong person and all.

Any other games like these ones?
>>
>>385939474
LA noir of course, and pic related

there arent as many good detective games as there should be
>>
>>385940169
I hear bad things about MSS and picked it up on steam for a dollar, but my computers a piece of shit so I got it on PS4 (ironically enough the next week) for $3. It's interesting but I'm not a fan of the paranormal aspect of it; being a ghost, dodging demons, reading minds, etc.

Is it worth a full playthoguh for the investigative aspects alone?

I also love LA noire, despite its flaws, I had a lot of fin trying to sync up clues to testamomnies and interviewing people.

I like AA games but they're basically visual novels (though I've been told the Miles Edgeworth games are different, haven't checked them out yet)

Should mention Im currently playing dangonranpa and loving it.
>>
>>385939474
>Any other games like these ones?
An anon recommended me the blade runner adventure game.
>>
File: 1489036391544.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1489036391544.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>385940559
Neat, someone recommended that to me too a long ass time ago but I forgot all about it.

By the way, if anyone's into these games try the Police Quest games. If you can't get past 80s sierra type DOS games they remade the first one in 90s point and click stye, and i think 3 onward were in that style anyway. They're awesome.
>>
>>385940476
>Is it worth a full playthoguh for the investigative aspects alone?
no
its alirght at best but it really teases what could have been its full potnetial. Its very linear and the coolest aspects of the game (going around, helping other ghosts move on to the afterlife) you can always do and some you cant help at all. Im a history nerd so seeing old salem MA was cool, but again there are these bullshit rules where you can and cant go becuase "lol ghost law dictates it" so you feel very trapped. The combat sucks, you fight one kind of demon over and over and to do so you have to hide and then teleport behind them so it gets more annoying then scary. The story itself is pretty good but any detective work consists of "peace together this puzzle and you have your answer"
overall 6.5/10, again im a history buff so I enjoyed it more then others. Also the bad guy twist ending is one part lame and another part very depressing. I did not feel good for doing what Ii had to do by the end of it
>>
File: 6888-1-shadow-of-destiny-a-k.jpg (81KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
6888-1-shadow-of-destiny-a-k.jpg
81KB, 800x600px
>Shadow of Destiny/Shadow of Memories
You try and solve who keeps murdering you as you travel through time.

>The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
>Gemini Rue
>Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure
>>
>>385941237
I think I can probably gusess the ending based on that then. Oh well. Wasnt invested int it, and got it for cheap, so it can sit there until I have a weekend with nothing better to play.
>>
>>385941353
>>The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
isnt this an empty walking simulator like everybody's come to the rapture where you just walk around and observe things
>>
File: SWAT_4_Coverart.png (154KB, 256x362px) Image search: [Google]
SWAT_4_Coverart.png
154KB, 256x362px
>tfw no serial killer house stand alone game

its all I want really. Play as a detective in a somewhat open world game (doesnt have to be GTA size but id like to explore), work a crime scene, get a list of suspects, then raid a house of a serial killer/kidnapper/rapist/human trafficking ring ect. Make it dark and gritty without being too edgy. It could be linear, like youre tracking one killer but keep finding other cases until you get to him, or just have a new case every week
it seems like such a simple concept that nobody has picked up on. everyone I talk to says the law school lyncher was the GOAT swat 4 level
>>
File: 75274_front[1].jpg (197KB, 1522x1370px) Image search: [Google]
75274_front[1].jpg
197KB, 1522x1370px
The game worked on a retarded sense of logic and the cast were insane.

Why will we never get the third game?!?!
>>
>>385941483
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsHppcIcpfM
>>
This is the Police has a few arcs where you need to investigate major crimes and a serial killer but its not deep by any means
>>
File: 1439149710940.jpg (113KB, 640x848px) Image search: [Google]
1439149710940.jpg
113KB, 640x848px
>>385941439
I can spoil it for you and save you the trouble

YOU ARE THE KILLER[SPOILER]

no really

You and some others get possessed by a ghost girl that was killed during the salem witch trials and have been killing mediums in town, it ends with the case never officially being solved on the outside but you know the truth and you send an 11 year old girl who was murdered hundreds of years ago to hell. I felt like shit after I did that
>>
i should really get a hold on crimes and punishment. Played testament and loved the hell out of it. I got the devils daughter through humble bundle, is it safe to play it before c&p or will i ruin c&p?
>>
>>385941569
Check out Sherlock Holmes vs Jack the ripper. You track him down and investigate, the other two games in the OP don't quite deal with serial killers (all the time) but they're in the same vein of being open world investigation with a list of suspects and evidence
>>
>>385941569
Condemned: Criminal Origins is at least a little bit like that.
>>
>>385941823
oh that's even gayer then i was thinkging
i guess it'll be a REALLY boring day when i play that shit
>>
>>385941897
>i should really get a hold on crimes and punishment. Played testament and loved the hell out of it. I got the devils daughter through humble bundle, is it safe to play it before c&p or will i ruin c&p?

C&P is the better game, the story is pretty seperate.
>>
>>385941353
>Shadow of Destiny/Shadow of Memories
(not OP) I wanted to like it but the very first puzzle was so stupid that I quite immediately, IIRC:
>this dude will kill you search, search a safe place.
>go inside a library filled with people.
>he still kills you.
>try other safe looking places, he still kills you.
>solution: go in the middle of the fucking square near people who are just watching a fucking juggler and suddenly he can't kill you, because that's obviously safer than staying inside a building filled with people.
I was really worried about how nonsensical it could get later.
>>
>>385941897
yeah they're separate games, C&H is one universe, and DD is another. they're both the same gameplay wise though, but they recast sherlock and watson. I don't think there's a whole lot of reference to old games other than an easter egg or too. Its fine to play by your own.
>>
>>385941483
Yes, with a couple of puzzles on top. Not even close to C&P.
>>
>>385941962
had it, loved it. Played the sequel, cant imagine a game went that bad
>>
The Devils Daughter was such a let down. The cases were boring and short, and way too many stupid action sequences.
>>
Pheonix Wright series is really good.
>>
>>385942707
The action sequences were a fucking pain, but I didn't hate it. It gave me more of what I wanted which is C&P.

i wish they'de make a super game now that just got rid of those fucking temple puzzles.
>>
>>385939474
SH the Awakened was better
>>
>>385943371
Is that the chtulu one? I'm weary of detective games that step outside of reality and go into the realm of magic and monsters and what not. Is this more of a sherlock crossover with lovecraft or is it explainable in-univers (without spoiling too much please)
>>
>>385939474
Ace Attorney does it better. Though the focus is to cross examine witnesses and prove they are lying, not investigation per se, but you do investigate in every case.
>>
File: AAI2.jpg (115KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
AAI2.jpg
115KB, 800x450px
>>385943649
this

Pic related specifically is the best in the series. But you need to go through like 4 titles before playing it.

OP, play them in this order:

Ace Attorney: Phoenix Wright
Ace Attorney: Justice for All
Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations
Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations
Ace Attorney: Miles Edgeworth Investigations 2 (it's pic related, Gyakuten Kenji 2, you'll need the fan patch which is superb)
Ace Attorney: Apollo Justice
Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies
Ace Attorney: Spirits of Justice

Play at any moment you want after playing T&T:

Phoenix Wright vs Professor Layton
Dai Gyakuten Saiban (need to know nip)
>>
File: AAI2 2.png (74KB, 256x385px) Image search: [Google]
AAI2 2.png
74KB, 256x385px
>>385944062
>Gyakuten Kenji 2 fan patch
Man that was the best fan translation I've ever seen. They translated literally everything, including images like pic related, and also dubbed the japanese voice clips.
>>
>>385943649
Disagree. Ace Attorney is just a VN. If there's a twist, it's told to you.

With SH games you have to find the clues and literally put together possibilities based on those clues, then you can work with them or eliminate them as others sprout up.

AA is better for story than investigation imo by a lot.

Danganronpa is the same thing.Each "case" has a twist and you always see it coming from a mile a way but I wish I could just make the connection myself rather than waiting for it to be revealed and having everyone act surprised.

>>385944062
I've played the first one and one other (which i can't remember) as well as half of layton vs Phoenix (3ds died while i was playing, never felt like continuing the witch trial)

I'll check out some more of the series but I don't think based on the first games I've played it's exactly what I'm looking for. It scratches the itch but the way Sherlock lets you come to your own conclusions even if they're wrong is awesome.
>>
>>385941823
>you send an 11 year old girl who was murdered hundreds of years ago to hell.
As a loli apologist, this angers me.
>>
>>385944601
The Miles Edgeworth Investigations games are exactly what you want. They focus on investigation as you collect evidence and logic pieces. Then you can connect the logic pieces you want to make abstractions. With that said, it's impossible to fail or arrest the wrong person like most Ace Attorney games.

The last case of T&T has no hand holding at the end and it's fully possible to arrest the wrong person, it's actually very likely you'll do that.
>>
>>385944969
Sounds great, I'll probably check it out after I'm done with Danganronpoa (which just just like AA as well)
>>
>>385943601
It's a Sherlock Holmes case where the subject matter is crazy murderous cultists that happen to worship Cthulhu instead of Satan. I played it a long time ago, but I don't think there's even anything out of the ordinary that happens in it (was going to say supernatural, but Cthulhu is not supernatural in the first place).
>>
File: 1189036391544.jpg (101KB, 796x615px) Image search: [Google]
1189036391544.jpg
101KB, 796x615px
>>385944969
>>385944062
CAPCOM really spoils their fans with the amazing promotional art. 100% fanservice
>>
>>385939474
I liked it, was the sequel good?

>>385940169
>ghost detective
Didn't play it, as I have no idea why they went this route. Looks super bland too.

>LA Noire
>GTA map design
Destroyed that game for me. Plus the super long interrogations sometimes.
>>
>>385945214
Oh, right on. If it's just a lovecraftian cult that sounds awesome then. Thanks! If it weren't for this thread I probably would have just let it sit unplayed on my backlogue for months.
>>
>>385944969
>The last case of T&T has no hand holding at the end and it's fully possible to arrest the wrong person, it's actually very likely you'll do that.

I dont remember this, desu. I recall most other games having some sort of bad ending, but nothing comes to mind on T&T. Would you mind refreshing my memory?
>>
File: [email protected] (49KB, 940x620px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-trick-7-470x310@2x.jpg
49KB, 940x620px
>>385939474
Surprised at how no one mentioned pic related. It is one of /v/' favorite games, not even once have I seen anyone criticize it negatively.

It's also by CAPCOM. More specifically the same director of Ace Attorney. And it's probably his best and most brilliant work.
>>
>>385945713
You're right, I was thinking of JFA and manipulating Shelly into breaking his contract with Matt
>>
Btw Im not a book nerd and I dont follow any sherlock media other than the games, was the daughter just something for the game? Or did she appear in books/movies/shows previously?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JzevLn-N0M

thank me later
>>
>>385945720
Hows this one work? VN gameplay like AA?
>>
>>385945945
I flicked through some in Waterstones, but they looked like a really dull read. It's a shame really, I'd like to try them. I'm often put off by language though. Irvine Welsh is the worst culprit.
>>
>>385945976
>Ah, the teeeeeenion of a crime scene! Nothin' like it, baby!
>It's a little too early for you to be so stiff and cold, don't you think?
Takumi is the king of punchlines.

>>385946001
It has actual gameplay in the form of puzzles, it's considered mostly an adventure game.
>>
>>385945720

It is more of a puzzle game rather than direct investigation, which is why i didnt mention it.
Still one of the best games for the DS though.
>>
File: Hotel_Dusk.jpg (24KB, 333x299px) Image search: [Google]
Hotel_Dusk.jpg
24KB, 333x299px
Hotel Dusk is pretty good, and features several early game overs and top notch dialogue. Never got to play the sequel, unfortunately.
>>
>>385946352
Despite not having investigations it's one of my favorite mystery solving games, the plot twists are done masterfully. And I say this as a long-time lover of the mystery genre, not only in vidya but also in books
>>
without someone spoiling danganronpa for me can someone say if it has branching stories/whether your decisions matter?
because i just exposed kyoko's secret key and she was found guilty and monokuma executed her anyway

would someone else have died if i didnt mention they key or would it be a game over
>>
>>385945720
It's great, possibly the best thing Shu Takumi has ever made even, but it's more like a well-plotted puzzle game than a mystery solving game.

Would still like a AA/GT crossover some day.
>>
>>385946557
nevermind the scutscene clears that up
>>
>>385946557
Basically, Junko is the mastermind and still alive

It's a genius touch and worth replaying for this alone
>>
>>385946557
There's no branching paths in any of the DR games. That was the closest thing you get, with the exception of getting the escape button in the Monokuma capsule machine, but I think you can only do that after the first playthrough anyway.
>>
You guys should check out the Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective board game(s)

https://youtu.be/u-63xEB31dA
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.