[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what was the point of this area? From a gameplay perspective,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 15

So what was the point of this area? From a gameplay perspective, why does it exist?

I can't jump, I am just holding forwards. If this was an Assassin's Creed game, I'd have to hold down a shoulder button while pressing forwards in order to jump. In an Uncharted game, my jumps would be on rails still just like this, but I'd still have to press a jump button.

So why have this? From a gameplay perspective it's literally no different from running on grass. You hold forward and Link auto jumps. Why have it at all, why not have a ramp. Is it purely for looks and graphics? Why not just add a fucking jump button if they are gonna go to the trouble of making a jumping animation and putting in what is clearly a platforming section.

How does Zelda get away with this AssCreed tier shit?
>>
>>385902487
Why is he flipping like that? I don't ever remember him doing that
>>
File: e9d.jpg (18KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
e9d.jpg
18KB, 600x600px
That some shit bait anon.
>>
>>385902487
If you hadn't played ocarina, this was an effective way to teach the player about autojumping and movement in general, the first knowledge required to enjoy the game.

Why are you so upset?
>>
>>385902558

No idea I just started the game right then and this is the second area, and then Link just auto jumps his way over an obvious platforming section and it played literally no different to when I was walking on the ground.

>>385902612

How is it bait, it's a legit question. I am fairly new to this series.
>>
>>385902612

Not him but are you fucking serious?

Platforming without a jump button is like a racing game without an accelerate or brake button. What's the fucking point?
>>
>>385902650

>it's needed to teach the player abotu autojumping
>teach the player
>about autojumping
>teach
>autojumping

There's nothing to learn aside from "oh this game plays itself".

I'm not upset. I am legit curious as to why this area exists, and why Nintendo went to the effort to put this in, but not a dedicated jump button. It makes no sense to me. I don't care about previous games or whatever I am talking about this one. If you don't want a jump button fine, then why make you level design need to have jumping in it, why not have ramps, staircases and no gaps between objects. There are plenty of games without a jump mechanic, where the level design is made around not needing to jump. This just seems so fucking weird to me why someone would do this.

Also you are the one who seems upset.
>>
>>385902674
Okay then it just felt like you were doing the "This game that people like is dumb" thing.
>>
>>385902650
>>385902674
I also should have mentioned that this game is the companion game to the game that invented z targeting, auto jumping, and even the concept of an action button. This was probably a lot of people first 3d game. Comparing this to Assassin's Creed is ridiculous. A simple navigation of space is exactly what the first area should have been.
>>
>>385902813
A lot of the puzzles in Zelda games would be ruined if there was a jump button
>>
>>385902674
>>385902813
The first room is to give you a safe area to learn how to move around. The second room is a safe area to teach you that if you want to jump you simply run off of a ledge. It's not a platforming challenge, it's a brief tutorial so you're not confused about how to jump later on.

Lots of games use areas with set pieces that work themselves so you learn the mechanics without having to actually do anything but hold forward, the Megaman games did this a lot, and I've seen examples as recently as Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze.

>>385902813
Imagine that the only game you've ever played is Crash Bandicoot back in the 90's. Your friend tells you "WHOA DUDE ZELDA IS SO AWESOME!" So you find the means to play a Zelda game and pick Majora's Mask. When you come to this point your natural instinct is to use a jump button to cross the gaps, but there is no jump button in this game, so this is used to teach you. It's not supposed to be a challenge.
>>
>>385902912
I don't see how any of that excuses, or even explains why the act of jumping is featured in this game, when it's not a gameplay mechanic.

The fact that it's the very second room from the starting area is also very glaring, gives me an initial very bad impression of this game.
>>
>>385903062
so stop playing the game? Or do you want to discuss how you hate the experience more?
>>
>>385903062
How is jumping not a gameplay mechanic? Because it works differently than how you're used to? Well it's a good thing they had that first room tutorial.

It seems like you're trying really hard to dislike this game.
>>
>>385902487
The whole thing before exiting at the clock tower is basically just a tutorial. Not everyone played Ocarina of Time to know you don't need to press a button to jump.
Of course, it's something that players would find out for themselves sooner or later, but it doesn't hurt being there.
>>
>>385902813

It's funny you mention AC, considering it included segments in the first game that demonstrated how Altair needed only two inputs to cross areas littered with platforms.

You know, in the game that was supposed to be about parkour.
>>
>>385902772
Zelda isn't a platforming game.

>>385903062
Autism.
>>
>>385903046

Okay I understand that completely. What I don't understand is why feature jumping at all, if it's all automated and not a mechanic?

Like, why not have the entire game, and at no point in the entire game does Link ever need to jump. There are no gaps to jump over ever. Why did Nintendo think to add gaps and a jumping animation, if there was no jumping mechanic. And then they needed to add this literal tuturial to essentually say "yeah there are gaps but you don't need to jump they are for show".

It feels like a cocktease you know. I just start a game, I see a nice intro platforming section and then I get autojumped. Feels like a massive cocktease every time Link jumps without me pressing something and I don't like it. It just puts me off you understand. I would literally rather no jumping than this cocktease autojumping. Jumping is probably my favorite mechanic in any game ever. Like imagine in FPS game where there is no shoot button, your gun just auto shoots whenever an enemy runs through the crosshair. This is how retarded this autojump mechanic and the inclusion of jumping in a non jumping game concept is to me.
>>
File: 1486303924357.png (3MB, 1246x1296px) Image search: [Google]
1486303924357.png
3MB, 1246x1296px
>>385902487
>pj64
>stretched widescreen
You have bigger things to complain about than a 5 second area at the beginning of a game
>>
Was it autism?
>>
>>385902487
why doesn't Link do cool flips like that in game after that section?
>>
>>385903232

I understand, but why have areas later in the game where link needs to jump then? Why not remove those areas too. What is the purpose of the other areas later in the game, where link needs to jump, if there is no mechanic.

Like what is that adding to the game aside from a graphical animation? It's all mechanically flat ground anyways and failure is impossible.

>>385903309

Yeah I know AC's mechanics are shit, but everone knows they are shit. Then I play this much appraised game and find out it's literally even more casualized than AC.
>>
>>385903232
Yeah, this. Kids would be like:
>WHY ISN'T HE JUMPING WHEN I PRESS BUTTON?????????
>IS GEAM BROKEN???????
>oh he autojumps
>I will now continue playing the game
>>
>>385903367

What do you suggest I use other than PJ64 then, what is the best N64 emulator?

Also it's on Widescreen because I was playing Goldeneye and that has a 16:9 mode in the options.
>>
>>385903367
it looks fine you autist
>>
>>385903338

I found the answer for you. Autujump exists because a) Mario is the platformer, not Zelda, and b) fancy animations.

>Iwata: You're able to sense a certain atmosphere. Something that I said in "Asking Mr. Miyamoto Right Before Release"—one of our sessions of "Iwata Asks" about the Nintendo 3DS system—was how this was the first video game that could make you feel weak in the knees when looking down from a high place, like when you jump into the waterfall.
>Miyamoto: That effect was born once we incorporated autojump. You go in headfirst like you're diving in the Caribbean, so it feels like you're swiftly plummeting, but if you raised your arms high and jumped feet first…
>Iwata: You're just a falling person. (laughs)
>Miyamoto: Right. (laughs) I thought of autojump on one of my days off. I couldn't wait to get to work on Monday!
>Iwata: You couldn't wait to tell everyone. (laughs)
>Miyamoto: Right! (laughs) I gathered everyone on Monday morning and said, "We're gonna do something called autojump!" Everyone's response was, "Say what?!" The team that had made Mario games was going to give up the jump button.
>Iwata: Then you were able to automatically jump over a hole in the road without even pressing a button.
>Miyamoto: Right. An added benefit was that we could program the pose Link would assume after jumping.
>Iwata: Ah, I see.
>Miyamoto: We could look at the landform ahead and determine how Link would jump.
>Iwata: That way we could show Link diving headfirst in front of a high waterfall. A Caribbean diving position! (laughs)
>Miyamoto: Right. I thought, "If we use autojump, then we can do all kinds of things." Thinking of so many new things after that was fun.
>>
File: 1485840179847.png (162KB, 525x453px) Image search: [Google]
1485840179847.png
162KB, 525x453px
>>385903338
Have you ever played Oot or MM. I can think of multiple instances where the so called "auto jump" is used in game play.
>>
File: 1473311780990.gif (487KB, 500x381px) Image search: [Google]
1473311780990.gif
487KB, 500x381px
>>385903338
Just because you don't press a button to jump doesn't mean jumping isn't a mechanic. There will be platforming challenges later in the game which you can fail if you're not being careful.

Platform size, slippery surfaces, hazards in the air, hazards under the platforms, enemies nearby attacking you, Deku Link flower flying which you will come to in a few minutes if you continue, high speed platforming as Goron Link, and even platforms that aren't safe them self. Trust me, just because there wasn't anything to it that time doesn't mean there won't be any changes later, if they weren't planning to build on it they wouldn't have introduced it in the first place.

If you really do care to see why there's auto-jumping at all then keep playing and you'll see. Don't judge the whole concept from a 20 second tutorial.
>>
>>385903489
>Of course, it's something that players would find out for themselves sooner or later, but it doesn't hurt being there.
Nice reading comprehension.
>>
>>385903478

Casualized is a strange statement considering no reduction in complexity occurred between games. OOT being the first 3d zelda codified the controls. From that point onward, jumping has for the most part been relegated to auto-jump. It exists the same way the ladder did in LOZ: It permits the level to be designed with segmentation that can be traversed by the player without changing the level structure.

Considering the game includes lite platforming segments, I'd say the exact opposite occurred.
>>
>>385902487
To organically introduce new players to the jump mechanic. It's a small, simple area with an obvious destination and it's only a matter of time until a player figures out that you autojump by walking off an edge. And a hell of a lot better a way to teach a new player the mechanics then some irritating popup menu or forcing an experienced player to have to sit through a tutorial section.
>>
>>385903478
>It's all mechanically flat ground anyways and failure is impossible
Are you retarded? In several points in the game 'lining' your jump incorrectly can make you have to backtrack a lot.
>>
>>385903338
m8 I think you might be mildly autistic and have some fixation on the fact that you "need" to press a button to jump. Jumping features in a lot of the areas and dungeons in the game. They put those platforms in the beginning of the game to let you know that running off of a platform means you jump.
>why feature jumping at all, if it's all automated and not a mechanic?
You choose the direction to jump, and can control your direction in the air somewhat, and can fuck it up if you do it improperly. It doesn't wrest control away from you as soon as you need to jump to something. The only difference is that you have to move to a ledge to jump.
>>
>>385902487
its the retard tutorial area before games started spelling everything out.
also don't forget to roll jump
>>
>>385902487
it's a tutorial area teaching you to get the feel of the jumping mechanic in the game, and gauge the distance that it works at

other jumps in the game will be slightly longer, requiring either waiting for your moving platform to go to a different position, or things like the bunny hood to extend your jump's length
>>
>>385903561

Jesus christ it's literally just muh graphics. That senile old fuck Miyamoto took out game mechanics for muh animation quality muh realism. I thought Nintendo was supposed to be about gameplay.

Also plenty of non platformer games have jumping, and even in depth jumping mechanics. Like Quake with Bunyhopping and Rocket Jumping, or Half Life with Crouch Jumping. Having a jump button and mechanics doesn't automatically make a game a platformer.

Fucking hell Miyamoto is a goddamn retard. I wanted to like this game but this autojump cocktease has put me off it so bad just in the second area already, and all for some animation of Link doing a fucking flip. This game would be objectively better and more fun to play if jumping was manual.

There is no game in existence that would not be improved with the addition of a jumping mechanic.
>>
>>385903965
cool agenda
>>
>>385902487
Imagine being this autistic.
>>
File: FB95IMG9514998417848751.jpg (117KB, 676x960px) Image search: [Google]
FB95IMG9514998417848751.jpg
117KB, 676x960px
>>385903338
If this isn't bait, then it's the purest form of autism I've ever fucking seen. This niggers going in on a game that's nearly twenty years old for having auto jump. First off, it's not a fucking platformer. Why add a jump button when the focus is combat? And second, that area is there to fucking show you how the character jumps in their own so you don't sit there and wonder what the fucks going to happen when you get to the edge. This isn't some seventh gen game where 3d shit has been around for two decades, it was released on the same console as the very first 3d Mario. Fucking consider that. It's an older game, on an older console, with old mechanics that were newer for its time.
>>
>>385903965
read >>385903598
why would it need to be manual if you can present a large number of failable and sometimes difficult platforming challenges without it being manual? You're just wasting a button for functionality that is already tied to another button.
>>
>>385903791
>>385904037

Yeah I guess I am autistic for wanting a game to not play itself. Sorry but autojumping is just bad game design.

>>385903905

All of that would be better if jumping was manual and could be done anywhere.

Remember when that new Thief game removed manual jumping and instead had you auto jump at context sensitive ledges? And /v/ raged at how fucking shit it was, how is that different to this. Thief's jumping was great and everyone agreed that auto jumping was bad. So I am surprised to see it in this, and to see it being defended.

>>385903701

I know it's not chronologically correct, but the game is more casual than Ass Creed, even if it came out before it.
>>
>>385903965
a jump button would have made oot harder and super casuals would have enjoyed it less.
if you think about it, a lot of oot is streamlined with a wide audience in mind.
>z-targeting
>jump slash to make other attacks redundant
>rarely do you need to aim your shield
>>
>>385904284

This, and Nintendo writing themselves into a corner designing the controller completely around Mario 64. Dudes had two face buttons to work with, assuming the C-buttons controlled the camera like intended.
>>
>>385904107
>First off, it's not a fucking platformer. Why add a jump button when the focus is combat?

Why add a jump button to Quake when it's about combat and just a Doom clone, a game that had no jump. Why add a jump button to Half Life, it's just a shooter game? Why add a jump button to Thief, it's just a stealth game, jumping is noisy.

I tell you what, have you ever played Mecenaries: Playground of Destruction? In no part of that games level design, do you ever need to jump or do any platforming or anything like that at all. Yet for some reason the game has a jump button. It's like the opposite of Zelda. Zelda has platforming and jumping everywhere, but no jump button. Mercs has literally no platforming or need for jumping as it's an open world GTA like shooter game, yet you can fucking jump.

Also I play old games all the time, Majora's Mask is probably one of the newest games I've played in the last 2 years.
>>
>>385904271
you can jump anywhere, hold Z
>>
>>385904271
Many games introduce mechanics by having "challenges" without having them be a threat and just letting you hold forward to complete that "challenge". Then when that mechanic is brought up later on it will actually have depth to it and the game won't be playing itself. If you play more of the game you'll see. Tutorials are piss easy anon, more news at 11. Literally 3 rooms later you'll have to do manual jumping as Deku Link so why are you complaining about it now? Your precious mechanic isn't gone.
>>
>>385904271
The ledges aren't contextual, it's all ledges at whatever angle you approached them from, it doesn't automatically make you land where you are supposed to. This isn't even a discussion anymore, it's throwing letters at a brick wall. You should just delete the thread
>>
>>385902487

>not playing the superior 3DS remake
>>
>>385903965
There is no reason why you would ever need to jump in OoT or MM. They are not designed with it. If you want to jump over a gap, you run across it. If you want to climb up a wall, you walk up to it. Zelda is not a platformer and having a dedicated jump button would not improve anything.

I have literally never seen anyone complain about this before. There are plenty of problems a kid like you could have when deciding to play older games like this for the first time, but the fact that you focus on jumping off all things in a game that's not even a platformer makes me think you're probably fucking autistic. Seek help.
>>
>>385904624

Why so Deku Link has a jump button and I can jump whenever and wherever I want too?
>>
>>385904773
Learn to form a proper sentence, you third world nigger. Go be autistic somewhere else.
>>
>>385904773
Deku Link has a flying power so that you can go over larger obstacles and reach higher places. Keep playing.
>>
>>385904773
Fucking ESL get out
>>
>>385904649

>kid
>older games for the first time

See >>385904535

>>385904845

Wow sorry for making a typo. Stop getting asshurt over a question.
>>
>>385904930
>one typo
You've been typical like a third world retard in this entire thread. Fuck off
>>
>>385903338
retard
>>
>>385902813
>teach the player
>about autojumping
You're literally fucking retarded. This was one of the first 3D games ever made.
>>
For the story beats, Skull Kid steals your Ocarina, you chase after him, and then fall down a pit that leads you to Termina. While they could have done all three of these things in a cutscene, they chose to do two of them in a cutscene and make one of them a small gameplay segment. I'm not sure why this is so confusing to you.

Also, yes, you would need to teach an autojump. Just because it happens automatically doesn't mean the player knows it happens automatically, so giving them a small area where they would need to autojump to proceed makes sense, so that you can guarantee that they understand how it works.

Finally, since as many people have pointed out the animations look flashy compared to the regular autojumps, theres a chance that these animations were made, but then it was later decided to not include them in regular gameplay. Rather than have that work go to waste, they chose to use it in a brief intro/tutorial segment.
>>
It's to teach the player that you autojump in this game, you fucking dipshit.
>>
So, what was the point of EH REH EH REH?
>>
>>385905131

>Jumping Flash
>1995
>Quake
>1996
>Crash Bandicoot
>1996
>Mario 64
>1996
>Build Engine trilogy of Duke, Shadow Warrior and Blood
>1996-1997
>Quake 2
>1997
>Star Wars Jedi Knight
>1997
>Turok
>1997
>Goldeneye
>1997
>Crash Bandicoot 2
>1997
>Star Wars Mysteries of the Sith
>1997
>Heretic 2
>1998
>Crash Bandicoot 3
>1998
>Spyro the Dragon
>1998
>Half Life
>1998
>Unreal
>1998
>Thief
>1998

Damn, guess players don't know how to jump yet.
>>
>>385902487
i always figured it was a way to show off link's new jump animations in mm compared to oot.
>>
why do you press enter so much, you're pressing it after every quote link
>>
>>385902487
This is precisely to show the player that link don't need button to jump. Also, it's cool.
>>
Because the flips look awesome!
And you can fail here if you don't understand how to move about in a 3d space. You'd be surprised how many people Bob and weave around like a drunken sailor in games like this.
>>
>>385902558
Pretty sure he flips if he's jumping upward.
>>
>>385902813
>"oh this game plays itself".
No, it doesn't.

>If you don't want a jump button fine, then why make you level design need to have jumping in it,
There is no reason not to.
>>
>>385902487
-auto jumping still requires some precision and thought to pull off.
-loz is not a platformer, so making the character autojump while still requiring precision to pull off is a great way to shake up gameplay and distance itself from a platformer.
-satisfying to pull off and see link preform cool moves
-would prefer this over running on a linear pathway
-this is an early 3d game, so even if ur not convinced, give it a break u fucking retard.
>>
>>385905475
In only 3 years in an era where most game were still platformer, no indeed.
>>
>>385903062
You're a legit idiot.
>>
>>385903338
>What I don't understand is why feature jumping at all, if it's all automated and not a mechanic?
I don't see why they shouldn't.
>>
>tfw you encounter genuine autism on /v/
This guy was so pissed off about this tiny section in a game that he made this thread and is now arguing with people over it.
>>
File: 0.gif (911KB, 500x297px) Image search: [Google]
0.gif
911KB, 500x297px
Okay, is it me, or is OP the guy wo keep complaining about the Parry move in Samus Returns because, when used against bosses, it can cause special aniamtion and he hate it because he isn't in full control of Samus when doing so?

I think he has started to spill on other games, guys.
>>
>>385902487
The area serves as a nice starting point to the game, showing that he's just coming out of the forest or whatever.
>>
>>385903062
>I don't see how any of that excuses, or even explains why the act of jumping is featured in this game, when it's not a gameplay mechanic.
Auto-action ARE part of a gameplay mechanic. Also, being automated doesn't forbid it either. No reason to.

>The fact that it's the very second room from the starting area is also very glaring, gives me an initial very bad impression of this game.
It shows you how auto-jump work.
>>
>>385906035

OP here, I've never played Samus Returns and likely never will, it looks shit.

>>385905865

Nice projection. You fags are the ones pissed off. I am just confused as to why Nintendo even bothered with this shit.
>>
Its the obligatory tutorial level.

Except back in the 90s they were simple and easy, but let you understand how the fuck to play the game before properly starting it.

Unlike today where they're 20-30 minute long retard checks
>>
>>385906153
>I am just confused as to why Nintendo even bothered with this shit.
That's because you are a complete moron. Its that simple. People have already explained it to you.
>>
Boy I really hate MGS3 cause when I eat food Snake just does it automatically. Stupid game playing itself I want to move his jaw to chew myself. Every game would benefit from a chewing button. Even assassins creed had better chewing mechanics and /v/ hates eating in that game.
>>
It's the tutorial area.
>>
File: 1498431524817s.jpg (3KB, 103x125px) Image search: [Google]
1498431524817s.jpg
3KB, 103x125px
>>385902487

Are you fucking retarded, mate?
>>
>>385906418

And I've already exlained that I know it's a tutorial section, I knew that before I started the thread.

I am asking why does Link jump in this game. I am asking, why is there gaps there, if there is no jump button. Why is there no jump button. Why go with stupid auto jump shit. And then this anon >>385903561 gave me my answer and it turns out that Miyamoto is just a senile old idiot as usual. This reminds me of Star Fox Zero interview where he said he made the game because he wanted to fly under an arch or something, or when they were making BotW and he just stayed in the starting area climbing trees for hours. What the fuck is wrong with that guy. He's more overrated than Kojima.

He's literally a style over substance graphics whore.
>>
>>385906626
>Why is there no jump button
Not necessary in the game, to show the player how its unnecessary they put those jumps there. You are legit too stupid and autistic to comprehend such a simple concept.
>>
>>385902558
The new jump animations are the very first things you notice when playing this game after Ocarina of Time and this moment was very memorable for me.
>>
>>385906153
>. I am just confused as to why Nintendo even bothered with this shit.
Because it's not shit. auto-action aren't defacto shit. That there are jumping area make more sense than having a game look like it was prepped for a guy in a wheelchair.

Ramp is not a good idea.
>>
>>385906626
>and it turns out that Miyamoto is just a senile old idiot as usual
That's not the answer it provided to you.

Especially as the auto-jumping in zelda is part of the fun of the gameplay.
>>
>>385906924

Auto jumping isn't fun at all, not even in the slightest.

>>385906856

Automating game mechanics is not a good idea.

This is no different from an RPG where there is a fucking quest marker on screen telling you where to go the whole time instead of exploring and finding it yourself.
>>
File: OoT Water Temple without Bow.webm (3MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OoT Water Temple without Bow.webm
3MB, 640x480px
>>385906992
Zelda games are not platformers, the fact you can only jump of ledges doesn't not make them inherently automated. You autistic spaz.
>>
File: 1482142132356.gif (190KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1482142132356.gif
190KB, 360x360px
>>385907087
>mfw I found out you jump farther if you roll just before jumping
>>
>>385906992
>Auto jumping isn't fun at all, not even in the slightest.
it is.
>Automating game mechanics is not a good idea.
There isn't a single game that doesn't rely to automatic actions.
Jumpjng isn't part of the Zelda gameplay, but the devs didn't want a flat world either.

You have been saying that if the character's jump can be controlled, it would be a better game if there was no jump at all. I disagree. That would result in a flat world with stupid looking ramps everywhere. Whereas the game as it is designed is much more fun to explore.

Zelda isn't a plat forming game, it's doesn't mean it shouldn't have interesting to look at and explore.
>>
>OP shitposts for an hour
Sad.
>>
>>385906992
>Automating game mechanics is not a good idea.
It is when it is a mechanic that doesn't integrate well with the rest of the gameplay, yet still allow for interesting design and fun general gameplay when automated.
>>
>>385907202

If you want a game world that isn't flat and filled with staircases and ramps. Put a fucking jump button in your game.

Half Life is an FPS game, it had not only a jump button, but complex jumping mechanics like crouch jumping and bunnyhopping among others. A manual jumping mechanic does not make your game a platformer.
>>
>>385902487
Autojump was a terrible mechanic that basically only existed as a crutch to prevent the player from ruining the level design via manual jumping. I'm amazed it managed to become a staple of 3D Zeldas for so long.
>>
>>385907241
A lot of Metroid thread are like that, where there is a guy coming back and complaining how parry and special move ruin the game and automated action is defacto the spawwn of Satan.

The guy has very similar complains, here.
>>
>>385907336
Half Life is also in a completely different genre and is way more linear and corridor based.
>>
>>385907336
>If you want a game world that isn't flat and filled with staircases and ramps. Put a fucking jump button in your game.
Or, you can input an autojump s that the game still look cool yet still doesn't focus on platforming.

>Half Life is an FPS game
Did you know gaming? Zelda isn't an FPS.
Jumping is part of the FPS gameplay, it's less part of the Zelda gameplay.
>>
>>385907445

Okay.

GTA 3, VC and SA all have jumping.
>>
File: bait works.jpg (38KB, 622x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait works.jpg
38KB, 622x626px
>this thread
>>
>>385907454
>Jumping is part of the FPS gameplay

Not all FPS games have jumping. Doom doesn't (by default, source ports have since added it and it breaks levels). Red Orchestra and Rising Storm don't have it.

Jumping isn't a genre limited thing.
>>
>>385907540
The jumping in the first 3 3D GTA games (3 and VC especially) is legit more automated than OoT or MM since the destination is predetermined at the time of the button press.
>>
File: 1500680452361.jpg (69KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1500680452361.jpg
69KB, 625x626px
>>385907607
Stop triggering me with that image.
>>
>>385907625
>Jumping isn't a genre limited thing.
But it's less frequent in certain genre.
>>
>>385907643

And if you don't press jump, you wont jump.
>>
>>385907703
Obviously, whats your point?
>>
>>385907773

That you position yourself properly before pressing jump so you land where you want to be. It's manual and much better than the way Zelda does it.
>>
>>385907825
You position yourself properly in OoT or MM before pressing off the ledge at an adequate speed both for him to jump in the first place as walking off a ledge causes him to climb onto it and to reach your destination. You don't get it do you? The fact its not done by a button press doesn't make it an automated (in other words scripted) event.
>>
>>385905865
It's such a small section too. I have a hard time believing this guy is serious.
>>
>>385907703
There is a jump button. It's the analog stick. If you don't move it, you won't jump. Also, there is a jump button while Z-targeting.
>>
>>385907336
Holy shit you are spastic.
>>
>>385902487
>How does Zelda get away with this AssCreed tier shit?
Because nintenbros are willing to eat any kind of putrid wet shit and hail it as the best thing since sliced bread as long as it has "Nintendo" slapped on it
>>
>>385902487
It was to teach you about the auto-jump ailly
>>
Why are we all blatantly ignoring that you can modify the speed and direction of your jumps? At that point, it might as well just be a proper jump button.
>>
>>385909553
*at that point, it's practically a proper jump button
>>
>>385907825
It's manual in Zelda as well, dummy. Your jump distance is tied to the speed and angle you're moving at. You can jump at any point off a ledge and have different landing spots, and you have a degree of control in the air as well which can be modified in a number of ways (rolling, running at less than full speed, wearing the bunny hood, changing your form to deku/zora/goron, holding a chicken, attacking, etc.) There's no button press to initiate a jump without Z-Targeting, but if you're on ice and slide off a ledge without holding the stick in a direction off a ledge you just slide off and grab the ledge instead of jump. Jumping still requires player input to initiate and factors your inputs as you're in the air. Additionally, you have to hold forward to initiate a roll from high up, which is the only way to mitigate fall damage without exploiting bombs or landing in special terrain (spider webs, water, etc.). Would the game be improved by a manual jump button? Maybe. Do you have one? No. Shut up and deal with it or stop playing. You already got your point across, and at this point you're posting just to bait for replies.
>>
>>385902772
Kirby's Air Ride and Sonic Riders would like a word
>>
>>385903040
So essentially its asituation nintendo gimos the player to make shitty "puzzles"
>>
>>385902558
Drugs
>>
>>385902612

Not an argument.
>>
>read thread
>it's one person constantly asking why Link jumps after given explanations but responds with 10482993 year paragraphs for some reason
Good thread.
>>
Why are you playing Majora's Mask before Ocarina of Time? Literally every single 3D zelda game except BOTW has an auto jump.
>>
>>385910143
OP your thread is a waste
>>
File: 1496573232378.jpg (196KB, 640x619px) Image search: [Google]
1496573232378.jpg
196KB, 640x619px
>>385902487
>that aspect ratio
>>
>>385902487
Are you retarded? It's literally thef irst area in the game. The point is so players get used to the controls. You don't just have to tilt the stick forward, you actually have to walk in the right direction and take care not to miss the jumps.

It's piss easy, of course. But it's basically just a mini tutorial for the basic controls and walking and jumping animations which are different from other games.

Many games have something like this.
>>
File: 1490355929616.jpg (76KB, 740x531px) Image search: [Google]
1490355929616.jpg
76KB, 740x531px
>>385903965
>That senile old fuck Miyamoto took out game mechanics for muh animation quality muh realism. I thought Nintendo was supposed to be about gameplay.

I don't know why people keep giving you shit, OP. Miyamoto is literally the George Lucas of video games.

From the lead director of Goldeneye:

>“For a while we had some gore, it was just a flip book of about 40 textures, beautifully rendered gore that would explode out. When I saw it the first time, I thought it was awesome, it was a fountain of blood.”

>However, when the game was reaching completion, the team received a fax from Mario creator, Shigeru Miyamoto.

>Mr Hollis said the fax detailed a series of suggestions that would make the game more commercially viable.

>“One point was that there was too much close-up killing — he found it a bit too horrible,” he said.

>“The second point was he felt the game was too tragic with all the killing. He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital.”
>>
>>385912020
>He suggested that it might be nice if, at the end of the game, you got to shake hands with all your enemies in the hospital.”

With the way I was shooting I doubt any of those guys made it to hospital
>>
>>385912020
>I don't know why people keep giving you shit, OP.
Because pressing a button is functionally no different than aiming an analog stick if you can control the speed and direction of your jumps.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.