[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Long Dark

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

File: 2945629-0067986406-image.jpg (233KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2945629-0067986406-image.jpg
233KB, 1920x1080px
Anyone get a chance to play this yet? I did early release and have done sandbox and a few of the challenges, but haven't had a chance for story mode yet (it just went live today).
>>
I only played this once before I got stuck on another game. I survived for about four hours and it was exactly the kind of game I was hoping to play. I remember limping into a cabin at about 1% life and managing to find something to sustain my character with my vision basically gone and continued living for another few hours before a few wolves knocked me through some thin ice. Fun stuff.
>>
File: 900px-Wolfattack.jpg (60KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
900px-Wolfattack.jpg
60KB, 900x506px
>>385879802
You should come back to it. I died several games before I started getting the hang of it. I was so happy when I got through the first 24 hours, then 3 days and so on. In my main game, I just passed 30 days. Also, fuck wolves!
>>
>>385879495
Story mode is interesting as I am already versed in the game / setting, but boy does it feel slow.

Also, I would expect a brand new player to be totally lost - some of the shit like the new way to make rosehip tea isn't intuitive at all.
>>
I thought you were supposed to be able to refund games when they came out of early access.
>>
>>385881441
>the new way to make rosehip tea isn't intuitive at all

I haven't checked the forums yet for fear of spoilers, but care to elaborate on this part?
>>
>>385881716
Once you've collected at least 24 (as usual), now you need to "prepare" them via the crafting menu before it appears as an option for making tea in the cooking menu.

Basically, if I was a new player, I wouldn't necessarily know that you need (1) at least 24 rose hips, (2) that they need to be prepared, (3) how to prepare them, and (4) that I need a supply of potable water already available.
>>
>>385882542
Got it. The mushrooms still the same or did they change too?
>>
>>385879495
>Anyone get a chance to play this yet? I did early release and have done sandbox and a few of the challenges, but haven't had a chance for story mode yet (it just went live today).
>80dollydoos
Yah nah
>>
>>385883108
It's currently 10% off for release week. Is that for Australian rates? If so, I feel for ya. You guys get fucked because of shipping, which shouldn't apply to a rucking digital release, but what do I know. Still sucks for you.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZNbUITN-mA
This is one of the prettiest things I've ever seen that's vidya related.
>>
>>385879495
_ ____ __ ____ ___ _____!

Played a bit of story mode. Story mode seems pretty bad so far. I guess it's basically a tutorial for sandbox, but since I've already played 55 hours of sandbox my eyes keep glazing over in story. Doesn't help I don't give a shit about any of the characters yet either. Unfortunately as far as I've heard (And I haven't read much) they haven't added anything particularly to sandbox mode with 1.0.
Another unfortunate thing, I hadn't played for a patch or two so I'm seeing the new interface shit for the first time which seems really fucking bad. Like you can't apply treatment on the medical screen as far as I could tell, at least in story mode. You look at the medical screen, see yes indeed you're bleeding from your leg, then flip to the inventory tab and then the medicine tab and then click the bandage and click apply instead of just clicking FIX IT on the medical screen.
>>
>>385883697
It's 45 dollary doos, full price not 80.
That said the game is not worth 45 bucks
>>
I've been thinking about buying this for a long time, but i'm not that much of a fan of survival games. Does it have monsters or some scary shit or just animals?
>>
>>385884118
Just animals. Usually the environment is what kills you as a new player, animals typically aren't all that bad although they're apparently a bit rougher now that they added a stank system.
>>
>>385884074
80 dollydoos across the ditch. Still wouldn't pay more then a 20 for it.
>>
>>385884118
It's not survival like Left 4 Dead or anything. It's just man vs nature. No monsters or the like, just rabbits, deer, wolves, and bears.
>>
>>385884383
>>385884245
Sounds interesting.
>>
>>385884250
Yeah, their $35 ticket is pretty rough and I even like the game. I'm really content with the $10 or whatever the fuck I bought it for during a sale a year or two ago but it kinda feels like they're over valuing their videogame. Then again what do I know, they're apparently making a movie or some shit.
>>
>>385884250
My condolences kiwibro.
You poor fucks get it even worse than we do.
>>385884484
Perhaps I didn't pay enough attention during development but it really doesn't feel like they did 15 USD worth of improvements during the 3 years it was in EA.
>>
>>385884439
Have you seen the show Survivor Man?
This is basically Survivor Man Extreme: The Game
>>
>>385884626
Nope, I've only watched bear grylls lul. I'm gonna give it a go and if it's good I'll buy it as I usually do.
>>
File: 1499823340305m.jpg (83KB, 708x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1499823340305m.jpg
83KB, 708x1024px
>>385879495
Since 2012 I felt like this game had major missed opportunities. For instance a decent sanity system, being the last man alive and having your needs met the slow killer is boredom and isolation. Also maybe some spooky supernatural shit like Windego's in the northern leaf woodlands or maybe some imagination ghosts from going crazy.
>>
>>385880267

I plan on it. I've just been playing other games.I really liked my one attempt at surviving and the story mode interests me too.
>>
>>385884484
Yeah, I remember getting it for less than 20USD for early release. I can understand the 35USD price tag, but I probably would probably still pay that. For the hours I've put into it and enjoyed, I'd say I've gotten my money's worth. I certainly don't feel cheated and there's still more content to come.
>>
>>385884617
Not particularly. They did add some good shit and a fair few more zones to the sandbox but that felt more like getting the game in line with the price they were selling it at at the time.

>>385884749
I would recommend playing on stalker difficulty. Easier than that and it'll be too much of a cakewalk, and interloper is the maximum autism powergamer difficulty. Stalker makes the animals deadlier which is mildly annoying but more importantly it gives you less to scavenge than the easier difficulties while still making shit plentiful enough that you can still find good shit occasionally, unlike interloper.
>>
>>385884752
On the one hand I agree that would be great, but on the other I do sort of appreciate that the Long Dark doesn't veer off into the supernatural. Just going on runs to collect food and firewood so you can weather a blizzard is kind of nice instead of constantly being worried about hellbeasts sneaking into your house and raping you in your sleep.
>>
Had no idea the story mode was out - I played for a few hours during the second or third update soon after EA launch and never came back, so I'll have to jump in again.
>>
>>385884749
The character you play in sandbox mutters phases occasionally and actually makes references to Bear Grylls, not by name directly of course. If you like that kind of stuff, this game might be worth checking out.
>>
File: 9qo1_1280.gif (272KB, 636x863px) Image search: [Google]
9qo1_1280.gif
272KB, 636x863px
>>385884752
Me too. They should have made it really rare, like add a few monsters but there's only one of each in the whole map. So even though you're probably never going to run into one, the thought of it being somewhere out there looms in the back of your mind
>>
>>385884752
They've added cabin fever. If you spend too many days indoors you're forced to spend one night out side.
>>
>>385879495
I've been pretty regularly playing the early access
Its not for everyone, but it really is a SURVIVAL survival game
No crafting a bases, or settling down to grow some crops or raiding humans or some shit, at best, you'll leave a little stockpile of something in a house somewhere to pick up later.

The sandboxes are good to learn how it works, and there is a lot to explore, but it is pretty slow paced compared to many other games. One really has to plan ahead if they are going to spend the day exploring, or hunting, gathering supplies

Once you get past the hobo-phase of freezing to death all the time and get a handle on your weight limit, its becomes nice, atmospheric ice age apocalypse exploration game
>>
>>385885213
Maybe this Halloween. Last year they had a weekend of all night. The sun goes down and didn't come back until the event was over.
>>
>>385885213
They should add some sort of stalking monster that spawns once certain criteria's are met in the game. It starts appearing slowly, some tree claw marks, a midnight howl that can be heard from inside your house, footprints. Then starts to slowly become dangerous leaving ravaged and headless animal carcasses where crow's don't even circle around it. Next it leaves bloody, bone and flesh totems around your dwelling, finally it begins to actively stalk you by showing itself from nearby treelines or up top hills.
>>
>>385885213
>>385886124
Post it to their forums. See what the devs think!
>>
>>385886246
I got a refund already lol. I'd kind of regret it if they actually added some spooky stuff to the game
>>
>>385886591
How?
I've only got 1h 30mins and I can't get a refund since I've owned the game too long
>>
>>385886797
I got it in EA
>>
>>385886797
Steam refunds are hit or miss once you pass the playing time/purchase deadline
>>
I refunded this trash.
>>
>>385889137
WE
>>
>>385890397
ARE
>>
>>385890784
KEKISTANIS N SHEIT
>>
>>385884052
Snapping that rabbit's neck for the first time took me back a bit, I won't lie, even though I knew I was going to do it.
>>
>>385891251
How far are you in the story? I only wandered up to the church and then decided to take a break since I don't feel like wrestling with a doggo just yet.
>>
File: call to arms.jpg (143KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
call to arms.jpg
143KB, 460x215px
Are there any games you're looking forward to leave early release just so you could get a refund? I was a fan of the Men at War series so i picked this up. It tried to keep fresh by having a first person mode, but it's just a gimmick. I think MaW: AS 2 has a better modding community.

It eventually went free to play, which I assume was to set up the item shop. I don't know if I'll get my money back after these turn of events, but I don't want it on my steam list.
>>
>>385891879
Completely new player; I got up to the bridge on the road after the plane crash and searched a car. Upon exiting a fucking wolf came out of nowhere and mauled me. I only barely fought it off and ran to a car to heal myself, where I bandaged myself and then died in my sleep from the cold.
>>
>>385892131
Wonder if that wolf is scripted, because I had the exact same thing happen. I avoided the wolf immediately after the cave, but once I was searching the cars one showed up. Still had a tiny but of torch left and fortunately the wolf ran when I hucked the torch at it, so I went sprinting the other direction before it calmed down and came for me again.

Were you carrying any meat? Pretty sure I had 2 stink-bars at the time which was why I thought the wolf came for me, but since we both had a wolf in the same spot now I'm not so sure. Enjoying the game by the way?
>>
>>385892415
I was carrying meat. At least two stink bars, but the wolf seems to come out of nowhere once you enter a car unless it was somehow hiding behind a tree before I arrived.

To an extent I'm enjoying it, but it's a bit obtuse at times. If it's supposed to be a tutorial for the survival then it's a damn bad one. It took me forever to figure out how I was supposed to make that tea. Not being able to look behind you while inside a car is kind of stupid, considering I can see myself frequently jumping into a car to avoid a predator, and the story hasn't grabbed me so far. Other than that, it's a very well made game and definitely one of the better survival games I've played
>>
>>385892826
Yeah, even with 50-odd hours played of sandbox mode before the game launched the rejiggered rose hip tea threw me for a loop. And not being able to completely look around (And change seats) in cars is pretty irritating.

If the story continues being a letdown you may want to just dive in to sandbox then. Having absolutely no goal is a mild shame but at least you can fully appreciate the survival aspects that way. Plus if you start to get too stir-crazy homesteading in one location you can always load up and travel somewhere else. During my longest plays I usually make a comfortable base somewhere and then set some stupid quest for myself so I go on a long journey just to mix things up.

If you're so inclined you can drop me a line on Steam if you want. Not really a Long Dark pro but I could probably answer questions fairly easily. http://steamcommunity.com/id/squeemk2/
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.