[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How are the story and characters in bravely default? Im really

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 6

File: 51ZOppNjvtL.jpg (56KB, 500x457px) Image search: [Google]
51ZOppNjvtL.jpg
56KB, 500x457px
How are the story and characters in bravely default? Im really desperate for a rpg with a nice story for once instead of autistic number crunching with a boilerplate plot.

It's either this or i replay chrono trigger.
>>
Terrible
>>
>>385862159

It's pretty good gameplay-wise, fun jobs too.

Too bad it has one of the most interesting yet lazy and poorly executed ideas in the genre when it comes down to story progression halfway trough the game.
>>
>>385862326
Why is this every jrpg now? Shitty non-characters and nothing plots but overly complicated and gimmicked battle systems

Nobody wants to play a game for 80 hours if the characters are shit,
>>
very fun, the jobs are cool and combining them and the abilities you get from them is great but like >>385862326 said, the story breaks down a little. if you play it you'll see what's going on there. that part of the game is interesting enough but also tedious
>>
>>385862889
how many hours should i give it before i decide to drop it or not?

Also whats up with the sequel?
>>
Bump I was thinking about picking up a 2DS for this and FE after work today.
>>
>>385862984
i feel like i got into the game within the first couple hours. i'd say anywhere from 4-10 hours should be enough time to get into the way brave/default works and how quick you can end a fight or set up some big damage with some defaults. as for the sequel, i'm still playing through it myself now, i think it's great. the only gripes i really have are the music and the way job abilities work. in the sequel, the max level for a job is 10 instead of 14, so right there 4 abilities are gone from every job, but on the upside it's less tedious to get to level 10 and they cut down some of the chaff by reducing it to 10 levels for jobs
>>
>>385862159
I hope your pirating this anon
>>
_airy _lies
>>
>>385862616

The characters aren't the problem, it's the narrative structure they're stuck in
>>
>>385862159
Censored. Don't bother.
>>
>>385863896
Muh weeb censorship
>>
>>385864041
Yep. Lick boot, shill.
>>
>>385863707
Well I tried but Citra says I need to dump Mii files, whatever the fuck that is.
>>
>>385864105
Muh lolis in bikinis
>>
>>385864232
Things you're not gonna get if you pay for it.
>>
>>385862984

Thing is, you will normally progress trough the game and explore all of the map, I forgot but could be like 20-25 hours or so.

But if you've played something like FF3 or 6, you will get to a part where you discover another map or where something happens that changes the over world layout for you to explore again with new and different things.

Something similar happens in BD, but in a very interesting and also boring and cheap way to make the game go for another 20 hours or so more if you want to watch the good ending, and that's too bad since the final segment of the game is very good IMO.

With the sequel, something similar happens but it's not mandatory, like, you can skip a good chunk of it unless you decide to get all the jobs and extras and can be done fast as shit, but I guess the party chemistry and characters aren't as good as in the first game, namely because Ringabell is not in the party anymore and you get two characters that feel like the Main Character trope and they don't work that good together since it lacks some sort of variety, OST is still good but the endgame isn't as good as in BD even though it's still pretty nice.
>>
There are a lot of neat characters, OP.
The story is fantastic.
If you like puns, there's a ton of them.

One of the major elements of the plot structure doesn't get introduced until about halfway into the game, and it's the most polarizing thing about the game. However, due to this structure, lots of characters that you only got a small glimpse of end up becoming far more fleshed out. People who didn't like the change in structure tend to avoid 100%'ing the game, and, ergo, miss a lot of the scenes that make the game as enjoyable as it is.

I'd recommend it, regardless.
>>
The characters are pretty stereotypical but your main four all get good development through the story, also dont read any spoiler tags or you'll ruin everything the game builds up to
>>
Okay well ill give it a shot. I'm downloading the uncensored undub too.
>>
Pretty much EVERY character seems like a stereotypical archetype upon the first time you meet them.

That's the entire point of the game. It's bravely DEFAULT. The 'Default' part of the title can refer to how the game presents a lot of tropes and cliches of the genre.

However, the game does plenty of interesting and unique things with the setting, characters, plot, and themes. I suppose that's the 'bravely' part, because it fully embraces this unique presentation even at the cost of alienating fans of the genre.

All in all, it's something to stick with. I think it's worth it, but like several anons have said in this thread, it can be repetitive at parts (especially if you're an idiot and insist on spending the most of your playthrough on the repetitive parts).
>>
>>385864476
is pretty accurate, though a little biased. the constant loops were tedious and some combination of enemies proves to be more annoying then interesting.

second game goes more anime, which is a personal preference, but otherwise makes improvements on the flaws of the first game. The exception being the story, which brings many questions, but not that many answers.

If you like BD, you'll like BS. I'm biased towards any game which has akihiko yoshida's art in it.
>>
>>385862159
>story
A great idea and a surprisingly neat setting that also gets a massive amount of development in a second game. Everything that is related to Great Plague and Crystal Orthodoxy is genuinely interesting and there's a few cool twists here and there.
The problem of a first game is that it blows all its steam in first half and forces you into endless eight shit in the second, but those bits also contain a lot of character development for all secondary characters.
The problem of a second game is a fairly weak antagonist and worst written love story i've seen in quite a while though it still managed to be quite thematic and add a lot to the setting.
>characters
Probably the best thing about the dilogy after its combat system. The only weak character is Tiz, rest of the main party is solid, Ringabel/Edea are fantastic and cast of secondary characters is very solid too, and game gives a lot of time to them to show themselves via side quests.
>>
>>385865025
Oh, it can definitely be tedious, especially right when you begin hitting the repetitive content. The real trick is to figure out the quickest way through that content rather than dragging through it. The game stops being as repetitive after awhile, but for awhile it is very samey.
>>
>>385862159
I loved it. One of the moreasons recent ish jrpgs I loved and told others to play.
Cute artstyle.

If you don't like the visuals, maybe skip it. Everything else is wonderful though.

If anything else, listen to the ost, it's one of the better ones.

Oh and you can turn random battles off completely and speed up fight by like 16x.
>>
>>385863896
how can i get past the censorship? I have a homebrewed 3ds
>>
>>385865342
This.
One of the greatest things about the game is that there are sliders for
Frequency of Encounters (0 to 200%)
Difficulty (Easy to Hard, iirc)
and Battle Speed (2x, 4x, 8x, etc.)
>>
>>385865572
https://gbatemp.net/threads/released-bravely-default-second-uncensored.391715/
>>
File: agGyoJZ.jpg (115KB, 800x480px) Image search: [Google]
agGyoJZ.jpg
115KB, 800x480px
>>385865572
The censorship is so minor that people who complain about it look like absolute chumps once you understand the small scope of the 'issue'.
>>
No mrgrgr no edea Ass

Bravely default threads suck now
>>
>>385865820
censorship is always a bad thing, it deters from the original product. all issues start small, and slowly barrel out of control.
>>
File: 1439216827226.jpg (158KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
1439216827226.jpg
158KB, 1500x997px
>>385862616
Enjoy your XV then.
All the characterization with zero gameplay value.
>>
>>385865820
Who cares. You can get rid of it.

Keep in mind, the second game was censored. People accepted it the first time, and look what happened.

Fool me once.
>>
>>385866228
No one in XV is a character, they are all stock characters. OOHH THE STUFFY FUJOSHIT BUTLER OOOH THE BIG BURLY MAN OOH THE SHY TWINK PHOTOGRAPHER
>>
File: 1422148436091.gif (868KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1422148436091.gif
868KB, 500x500px
>>385865820
They went further in Bravely Second.
Removing cleavages and adding "crotch shadow" to every female costume was really an overkill considering how low quality those models are.
Also that preemptive Mohawk bullshit out of nowhere.
>>
>>385866407
Saying they are one dimensional tropes is really an overstatement.
On contrary, they are characterized quite a lot through hours of pointless banter.
It doesn't make them any more likeable and most certainly doesn't contribute much to the game either.
Is Ebony really all that good?
>>
The characters are pretty good. The plot is either awful or fantastic depending on how you take the climax.

Fun combat, nice jobs. Good game.
>>
>>385866754
>hours of banter
>absolutely no ambient dialog whatsoever throughout the thousands of hours you will spend NOT driving the car.

They only have a few specific plot related instances when they even bother to say anything. Other than that its the same 3 one-liners in combats I WANT TO RIDE MY CHOCOBO ALL DAY.

It's really disgraceful how much time they spent on that game and how much emphasis they put on the roadtrip aspect when really its just you sitting in a car doing literally nothing while everyone reads a book or pantomimes talking without saying anything.
>>
>>385866459
Bruh >>385866458
>>
>that party banter in which Agnes complains about bows being inefficient weapons only to reveal that she didn't know what arrows are and instead used it as a close combat weapon
And people are surprised they got fooled by Airy.
>>
>>385867132
But why?
>>
>>385867334
The Bogs work in mysterious ways.
>>
Story and characters are good. Only bad thing is the time loop.
>>
>>385867058
>how much time they spent on that game
It's literally the Duke Nukem Forever of jrpg.
God knows how many time they scrapped everything and started over. The development time in those cases is meaningless.
>>
BD is a retro FF throwback game.

It excells at adapting the gameplay of 4-6 along with the 5 job system. It's all so excellent.

The plot and characters are 1-3 tier honestly.
>>
>>385867491
>hate the loop
>still do the asterisk side quests even though the only rewards for them is their character development
Don't be that person. If you don't get side tracked the entire loop is roughly one hour long.
>>
>>385865025
>I'm biased towards any game which has akihiko yoshida's art in it

i know how that feels, probably my favorite character designer, second to maybe kaneko.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.