[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this port any good for someone who has never played the original?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 6

Is this port any good for someone who has never played the original? Is there a restoration patch that makes it similar to the original?
>>
It's ass when compared to the original, but it's still a fun game when taken by itself.
>>
Visually and audibly it's a downgrade, but there's more content and it's really easy to put aside the GBA being inferior hardware in general since the game is still solid
>>
>>385779000
It has six new levels added once you beat the Final Boss.
>>
>>385779000
Yes and yes. It has extra levels too.
>>
>>385779000
Emulate the original.
>>
>>385779000
It fucked over the climax of the original with a vastly inferior final boss.
>>
>>385780761
What's different about it?
>>
Have fun finding the red coins
>>
File: 1500833523190.png (54KB, 360x289px) Image search: [Google]
1500833523190.png
54KB, 360x289px
>>385780761
>>385781025
I honestly don't remember any differences between the two. The only major differences include
> the GBA version getting downgraded music (but not nearly to the extent of the butchering of SMW)
> the GBA version getting sound samples from Yoshi's Story
> the GBA version getting extra levels
> the GBA version having a slightly different control scheme with heavy use of the R button

I actually played the GBA version first, and I didn't walk away with a bad impression, so it wasn't all bad. Yoshi's Island DS is where quality took a real nosedive in several ways.
>>
>>385782212
I don't rember island ds being bad. Maybe a bit samey but still. What's so bad about it?
>>
File: Johnnyface.png (228KB, 482x482px) Image search: [Google]
Johnnyface.png
228KB, 482x482px
>>385779000
All of the GBA Marios are ass compared to the originals. If you are going to emulate, get the SNES version.

>MFW hearing those annoying ass voiceclips in super mario 2 over and over.
>>
it's playable but the gutted soundtrack really sours it for me
>>
>>385779000
Just play the original on a SNES emulator
>>
>>385782212
Artoon/Arzest are responsible for the DS Yoshi's Island games. They're basically B-Team shit. DS isn't as bad now that we have New Island to rank as the absolute worst Yoshi Game

>>385782373
Probably the multiple babies gimmick bogging the game down. It would've been better if it were just Mario, Bowser and Peach maybe. Wario and DK didn't need to be there
>>
It's terrible, but the original version was terrible too, so playing the GBA version isn't much of loss.
>>
>>385782212
>> the GBA version getting downgraded music (but not nearly to the extent of the butchering of SMW)
How is the music in the GBA version any different when compared to the SNES version?
>> the GBA version getting sound samples from Yoshi's Story
Now you're just nitpicking. Yoshi's post N64 voice is universally better than the SNES SFX
>>
>>385782416
But advance 4 has all the neat e reader levels
>>
File: 1494021087370s.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1494021087370s.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
>>385782373
As a sequel it was pretty lame. The music was pretty forgettable, the levels were overly large and the collectathon problem got worse, inconsistent art style, the stupid "multiple babies" gimmick, no upgrade cards (like watermelons or its derivatives), etc. Just never really liked it all that much. Never played YNI.
>>
>>385782652
>GBA version any different when compared to the SNES version?
Do you even realize how high pitched the GBA's soundchip was?
>Yoshi's post N64 voice is universally better than the SNES SFX
I don't mind the Story voice clips, but what kind of thinking is this?
>>
>>385779000
The new "Extra levels are either amazing or pure evil...maybe both.
>>
>>385782520
>>385782734
At least the multiple babies added something new to both the gameplay and story whereas YNI just rehashed the first game all over again.
>>
File: 1501464088100.png (39KB, 370x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501464088100.png
39KB, 370x320px
>>385782212
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HN5MjZPfbI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZowbwsDmQIY

I like how the athletic theme sounds in the GBA version more
>>
>>385782652
its different. Same tunes with different pitches. I do believe the only real difference was the six bonus levels

SNES tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKJ2EZnnZRE

GBA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkPYec-_9Aw
>>
>>385783035
DK and Wario didn't really add shit. At least Peach is a major character of the series and Luigi was kidnapped. The main problem was you needed to reach Stork stops just to swap babies. That's a drag

Yoshi's New Island isn't even a game
>>
>>385783045
>>385783070
wew
>>
>>385783070
Sound like the exact same pitch to me. But the instruments have certainly been changed.
>>
File: 1484946779687.jpg (505KB, 1280x1909px) Image search: [Google]
1484946779687.jpg
505KB, 1280x1909px
>>385779000
How would you rank the advance games in terms of remake quality?
>>
>>385783778
Advance 1: 2/5 remake. Extra content but nothing substantial
Advance 2: 1/5 remake. Literally the same game but with an extra Luigi mode and downgraded visuals/music
Advance 3: 3/5. I like the new levels but it's a downgrade nearly everywhere else
Advance 4: 3/5. E-Reader levels are cool, but they fucked up the HUD

All-in-all GBA ports/remakes had a habit of not going above and beyond, just adding a bit of content that's a shame to not play, but the originals are fine on their own and sometimes preferable
>>
>>385783296
Baby DK has the most versatile abilities out of all the babies.
>>
GBA is the superior version. Yes, the sound is not AS good as the SNES original, but it is more than serviceable, you get superior controls thanks to shoulder buttons, you get more content, and it fixes some glitches.

Don’t listen to purists on this one. If it is your first run playing, then sound is a non issue. In this case, the truth of the matter truly is that ignorance is bliss.
>>
>>385783778
4: Weirdly enough all the useless shit they usually add actually make the game for fun for a change (Like shells can collect coins and you can bring shells into pipes, you have no idea how much this changes how you play the game http://www.themushroomkingdom.net/smb3_snes2sma_p2.shtml ) e-reader levels turn it from a 6/10 to a 10/10

3: Graphics took a MAJOR hit but the new Extra levels make up for it

2: Lots of extra stuff but SMB2 just isn;t a very long game so it feels pointless

2: Unless you LOOOVE Luigi then irredeemable garbage. It's literally just the original game with an added coin counter that gives you nothing when you complete it.
>>
>>385784410
...Have you never seen an SNES controller? The controls are exactly the same.

Anyway, the GBA version has a smaller screen, grating Yoshi's Story voice samples and worse music/SFX overall. There's not really a reason to play it over the original apart from some minor bonus content.
>>
>>385779000
it is still a great game

i fucking teared up the first time i played that port -- it might be an inferior version but the sheer creative force still shines through
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.