[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What game series have been able to be successfully upgraded from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: gamers aguri.jpg (108KB, 628x1086px) Image search: [Google]
gamers aguri.jpg
108KB, 628x1086px
What game series have been able to be successfully upgraded from their original concept?

All I can think of is Mega Man to X.
>>
>>385774251
Metal Gear to Metal Gear Solid
Persona to Nu-Persona
Metroid to Metroid Prime
Fallout 2 to Fallout 3 or at least New Vegas
Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time
2D Mario to Mario 64
>>
>>385774251
>Mega Man to X
Only for the very first game, it's all downhill from there.
>>
Dungeon Keeper to mobile
>>
>>385774251
Nah, Mega Man classic is notably better than the X series.
>>
>>385774986
>Metroid to Metroid Prime
>Fallout 2 to Fallout 3 or at least New Vegas
>Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time
>2D Mario to Mario 64
Am I being baited?
>>
>>385775463
I don't know. I prefer the classic series overall, but the first Mega Man X is the best 2D Mega Man game in my opinion.
>>
File: frustatedbuu.jpg (35KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
frustatedbuu.jpg
35KB, 960x720px
>>385774986
>Link to the Past to Ocarina of Time
>2D Mario to Mario 64
>comparing the 2d genre to the 3d genre

stop
>>
>>385775463
I never understood how people could still want regular megaman after megaman x. It was an improvement in gameplay, bosses, graphics, everything.
Sure it turns to shit on later entries, but it's not like megaman 8 is great either.
>>
>>385774986

Mario Galaxy is much, much closer to "2D Mario but in 3D" than 64 ever was.
>>
3d Zelda games largely built from Ocarina.
2d Zelda games built on the original a lot and had a number of improved ideas, even if they became much more linear.

Midway is 2d and 3d Mario. Newer ideas were explored, but physics weren't always better, and movesets changed quite a bit over time in a way that swapped more than it added.

Largely unsuccessful is 2d Sonic games. So far newer games all lack in physics and level design compared to the original genesis games, which is awfully embarrassing given that a 16-bit console really shouldn't have better momentum implementation. Mania will likely change this.
>>
>>385775959
Don't you mean 3d Mario Land/World? It pretty much was 3d 2d mario.
>>385775843
It goes at a different pace, there is less space on screen because of the larger sprites, overdependance on buster charging, more shit to collect that doesn't really do as much, expecting you to collect all that shit so you can facetank absurdly sized hitboxes and refill with your built in tanks.
>>
File: 1498357826299.gif (170KB, 872x632px) Image search: [Google]
1498357826299.gif
170KB, 872x632px
>>385775632
>>385775959
The question is which series successfully changed their core concept, not which series faithfully adapted from 2D to 3D.
>>
Castlevania is the ultimate example of this imo

Originally a rudimentary action side scroller
Became a connected-world exploratory pseudo rpg
>>
What's this anime? wait isn't giving me results.
>>
>>385778058
I would also like to know sauce on this. Google is giving me one useless result and wait is giving me nothing. It looks familiar but I can't put my finger on it.
>>
>>385778058
>>385778591
filename newshits
>>
SMB to SMB 3
SMB 3 to SMW

if you count those that is
>>
>>385777894

and considering they fuck it up in their first try on the second game, one can be surprised that they tried again.
>>
File: fallout3.png (114KB, 912x670px) Image search: [Google]
fallout3.png
114KB, 912x670px
>>385774986
>Fallout 2 to Fallout 3
>>
>>385779095
Yeah, the story was never good, but the game itself was insane at the time
>>
>>385774251
Several of them.
>>
Keeping with Megaman there's BattleNetwork to Starforce
>>
>>385779285
>the game itself was insane at the time
Maybe if you were underageb& at the time.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.