[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come all games require an obscene amount of data these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 4

File: ROM.jpg (14KB, 331x341px) Image search: [Google]
ROM.jpg
14KB, 331x341px
How come all games require an obscene amount of data these days? They certainly don't really NEED to use all that data. If a current gen had a port of an old game, it would probably require 1 million times as much data for the same game. Is it just bad compression and programming? Remember when developers tried their very best to make a game smaller in terms of memory?
>>
>>385718721
Where do you think they put all those hi-resolution textures and 7.1 uncompressed audio?
>>
>look at a game's data usage
>99% of memory is in ultra-HD video cutscenes
>rest of the game is a walking simulator
>graphics take up a huge portion of memory
>the graphics still suck ass anyways
>>
>>385718721
It's just laziness mixed with ridiculous time pressure mainly.
>>
lazy dogs
>>
File: Untitled.gif (101KB, 652x482px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.gif
101KB, 652x482px
>>
>>385719148
I mean it's not all that suprising anyway. The only way the games code would take the majority would be if it had really simple graphics and horrible spaghetti code like dwarf fortress
>>
>>385719446
>283 KB stated in image
>101 KB filesize
>>
>>385719875
That's the joke anon. The original image was 283 but no one has it anymore so they just upload different versions of it. The filetype makes a big difference in the file size.

The point is that this image alone takes up 2x as much data is the entire super mario bros game
>>
>>385719961
That was fucking dumb of me, my apologies
>>
>we have to fit the entire game on less than a floppy disc - I bet we can save room by using flat color scenery instead of making images
>cartridges have come a long way, we can actually -record and play- music instead of generating it on the spot. We'll have to compress it a bit, but it sounds really snazzy now!
>Dvd's are hot shit, now we have enough room to put entire movies on the disc without filling the whole thing up - what if we made separate, even nicer looking models and used THOSE for important cutscenes! It'll look great!
>christ they made them bigger AGAIN? Fans will laugh if our PC release is 2 GB so, uh, record the music at the highest bitrate you can to fill space.
>>
>>385718721
Aside from some games using high quality videos and uncompressed audio, which is stupid, textures take a lot of space.

In an early 2000s game most textures would be 512x512, and each model would only need two textures (diffuse and bump/normal map).
Now, textures are a mix of 2048x2048 and 4096x4096 (16-64 times more pixels than before) and games need diffuse, roughness, glossy/metalness, AO and/or cavity, and normal maps, plus whatever extra features the devs put in it (sss maps and other effects for example).

Some of this is remedied by putting some of those maps in the same image (roughness, metalness and AO one in each channel of an image for example), but that's still at least 3 images per model.

So, even accounting for advancements in image compression, that's still a lot more space needed.
>>
>>385720297
We need to get this game out quick so put the German, French, Italian, Swedish, Latvian, and Turkish localization on the disk. Also, the on-disc DLC, and the preorder bonuses.

Oh and make sure the pre rendered video is as high quality as possible so the PC version has half the file size from videos.
>>
t. harddrive-lets
Just buy some more space, you cheap faggots. it's cheap as fuck nowadays. Personally, I have 5 tb.
>>
>>385721061
what is optimization
>>
>>385721169
Good question, can you say what optimization is?
>>
>>385718721
Unoptimised memory leak sludges like PUBG are indeed a waste of all types of hardware resources.
Otherwise, most RAM is reserved for physics, scripts, and above all object data like NPCs and shit.
>>
>>385721308
can anyone?
>>
>>385719446
>>
>>385721443
So that image of 8-2 is actually more memory than the full level 8-2, along with the song and additional coding?
>>
>>385721421
Using the available resources to their fullest extent.
Better graphics have nothing to do with optimization because they're aimed at people with decent computers, if you can't run a game because your hardware is shit it's not an optimization problem, you're just poor.
>>
>>385721421
Sure, optimisation creates an object or concept invariant which uses less memory or processing power.
Example:
Scene culling - GPU does not render what's behind the wall you're looking at, yet the displayed frame is exactly the same.
>>
>>385721751
That's not optimization, it's building a flimsier lemonade stand.
By that logic a console port is better because it's "optimized" by having shittier graphics.
>>
>>385721943
optimised is using switch-case lol
>>
If current-day devs decided to make lower resolution assets to limit the size of their games, then /v/ would be complaining that they are lazy fucks who can't even beat Crysis 1. There's simply no way to win here.
>>
>>385721901
>That's not optimization, it's building a flimsier lemonade stand.

Unless you waste less wood and build faster, which is exactly the concept being discussed here, making it a perfect analogy
>>
>>385722106
It's not a perfect analogy because we're discussing textures.
Using shittier textures is not optimizing.
>>
>>385721443
This image is actually 224k because it's compressed. So not only is it compressed but you also have the overhead of uncompressing it before you can do anything with it further increasing memory requirements beyond the original.
>>
>>385720538
>PC version has half the file size from videos
This. What in the fuck.

>make pc port of game
>videos are in a lower res and bitrate than the one on consoles
>>
>>385718721
textures video and audio all make some of it, but imo the biggest culprit of mess and bugs in memory is by far the fact no one has used ASM to program the majority of a game since the 90s. epic code wizardry has been lost to fags who think the compiler is "good enough" for millisecond timing.
>>
>>385724234
It's impossible to program a modern game in ASM. The compute-critical parts like graphics are mostly written in ASM in directX and vulkan/mantle have a more direct control over the GPU than DX.
Compilers nowadays automatically apply code optimisation, which works very well, and in most cases - better than the programmer can.
ASM is an endless labyrinth for game dev. Even a roguelike would be hell to code and would run like shit, if at all.
>>
>>385724234
>make a modern game in ASM
sure, I guess, if you want it to cost the company x100 more? Like, ASM is shit to debug and develop in and it takes ten thousand times more effort to get working.
>>
>>385725169
>its impossible
thats what they said back then. it would be challenging with the GPU links cause it was designed to work with higher level code. but impossible isn't a word programmers believe in.

>>385725240
I couldn't give a single fuck about cost when EA are pumping out the next shit and everyone will eat it anyway.
>>
>>385725638
Put your dignity where your mouth is and go rewrite any roguelike in ASM. Then look at the source code and compare.
Modern CPUs are good enough 95% of the time if the programmers are competent. The language isn't the problem by a long shot.
>>
>>385719065
>7.1
Adding more channels doesn't necessarily make the size that much larger
>>
>>385725885
there's that phrase again, guess all those bugs are fine and im just imagining things.

as for code comparison they already proved ASM is faster in both respects when they had a speedcoding challenge and ASM won (wrote working text editor faster than C.)
>>
>>385726305
Bugs and speed, especially on asm and C level, are entirely dependant on the programmer. ASM is not faster than C and it cannot be. The implementation of algos is what matters.
Not only that but C++ is much more flexible than C and an order of magnitude more than ASM. I'd love to see an implementation of OOP on ASM.
Don't take my word for it, professional graphical software typically uses up to 100% GPU and CPU resources without crashing, bugs or artifacts. That is solely thanks to professional proframmers, not interns like 70% of the vidya insustry.
>>
>>385726747
>>385726305
>>385725885

Where do I even begin so that I can understand what the fuck you two are talking about?
>>
>>385726826
The takeaway is, c++ is the best programming language ever and thankfully what most performance-oriented software is written in.
>>
>>385726826
Search assembly or machine code on youtube
>>
File: 1472930510190.jpg (21KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1472930510190.jpg
21KB, 250x250px
>NieR:A had lossless 900p videos occupying tens of GB
Sometimes devs just go full retard.
>>
>>385726295
but adding 20 differnt languages does.
>>
>>385728547
>lossless
Probably not that but it did have insane bitrates and wasn't even 1080p so it'd still look bad upscaled.
>>
>>385718721
because they're too lazy to use midis and bmps anymore
just wasteful uncompressed textures and audio
>>
What pisses me off is the push to 4k. All that power could be used to make more interesting things, but next gen is going to be another half jump because faggots want 4k so bad. It's not worth it at the console level. It's only worth it at the PC level because you're a foot and a half away from your monitor.
>>
>>385718721
Laziness brought on by how insanely cheap storage is now, so nobody really cares about games taking a lot
>>
>>385729713
TV screens are bigger as well. I don't know how close most people sit to their monitor/TV, but it may not really matter much.
>>
>text-based game
>same size as an entire library in ebook format
Wow I guess video game is power.
>>
>>385728547
they still look like a turd though, same as DEHR, they may take a lot of space, but look worse than the ingame graphics.

Special prize goes to titanfall 1 with a whopping 35gb out of 48gb being only FLAC audio in a mutiplayer only game.
and the end of its lifetime, with season pass released, when I went to reinstall it it had a dedicated unpacker that extracted 50gb of audio files
>>
>>385731037

Most people have 50 inch and under TVs that I've seen. Hell, most of them don't even use the 4K element of their TVs. They literally don't care.

It just seems like a waste of resources at this point.
>>
>>385727049
>c++ is best ever

ahahahahah, the kids these days

C++ has a reputation professionally for being the WORST programming language. it's the WORST abomination of C and OOP you can possibly get.

People saying "games should be written in ASM" or "bugs are dependent on the developer!!11" have no idea what they're talking about.

First of all, all software has bugs. Full stop. Noobody is perfect. Coding is hard. Doesn't matter who's doing it.
Second of all, how you do QA & builds determines the quality of your code. If you are writing unit tests, if you are doing constant integration, if you have a good QA team with good QA practices, bugs will get stomped out. You can build a game in ASM or in Java and if you have a shit QA team or a shit build process or a shit checkin process, you will get a shit game out of it. Doesn't matter.

Finally, we live in an age where Java/C# can get 95% the speed of C/C++, believe it or not. The language doesn't really matter for speed these days. Fuck, you can make games in python now that compete with C.

You can't blame the programmer for bad code. It comes from the top. If you have bad directors and management, you'll get a bad game.
>>
>>385731929
>Special prize goes to titanfall 1 with a whopping 35gb out of 48gb being only FLAC audio in a mutiplayer only game.
Xbox 360 couldn't handle decoding compressed audio
>>
>>385732464
tl;dr please
>>
>>385732808
compilers are p efficient nowadays and there are cpu cycles to spare
>>
>>385721421
Computer engineer here, optimization is the process of transforming a piece of code into another version of itself that achieves the same results while utilizing less of a specific resource or set of resources.
>>
>>385732808
your a idiot
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.