[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you feel about people calling games "Souls-like&

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Untitled.png (48KB, 716x596px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
48KB, 716x596px
How do you feel about people calling games "Souls-like"?

https://mimidoshima.wordpress.com/2017/07/31/your-name-is-the-dark-souls-of-ghibli/
>>
>>385713871
I don't know. What's the genre of King's Field? Couldn't it just belong to that genre?

How much distance is there between KF and Dark Souls, besides the third person view and increased complexity?
>>
No different than when people starting labeling games "Metroidvanias" that were neither Metroid nor Castlevania.

The issue I have is "The Dark Souls of X" line.
>>
>linking directly to a blog
hello article "writer"
>>
>>385715042
The difference being that there was no accepted genre name for metroidvanias that separated them from other 2d sidescrollers. The souls series is made up entirely of action RPGs. Like just normal 3D action RPGs.
>>
>>385713871
>dark souls of ghibli
the author might be retarded
I don't like calling games "souls-like" because those games are not original in the first place. They are basically old games made in modern times. If those were released like, 15+ years ago they would be considered average difficulty.
>>
It's like the Dark Souls of feels.
>>
>>385715042
Metroid and Castlevania innovated with new gameplay mechanics and design level design principles, Dark Souls did not. Soulsborne is my favorite series but it innovated very little other than its cohesion. They really just pulled together a bunch of mechanics and ideas that have all already existed, combined them in interesting ways, and executed them brilliantly. Soulslike isn't the same as Roguelike or Metroidvania.
>>
>>385715042
>Metroidvanias
Dunno why but i fucking hate that term.
>>
>.wordpress.com
you're not even trying to hide the fact that you wrote this
>>
>>385715249
metroid and castlevania did the same thing souls did. just taking existing mechanics and putting them together. none of them created flat out new approaches to a video game.

closest would probably be souls' death system
>>
File: IMG_1109.jpg (20KB, 208x243px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1109.jpg
20KB, 208x243px
>Monty Python and the Holy Grail, a film teemed with "Soulsian imagery"

Reddit, not even once.
>>
>>385713871
I don't like it, but there's no good way to describe that style of games without it being a mouthful.
>>
>>385714950
>What's the genre of King's Field? Couldn't it just belong to that genre?
I'd argue KF/ST and Souls are not the same genre because of the way they handle death.
Dying in KF means reloading a save and losing all progress like you've traveled back in time.
Dying in Souls means you go back to the last checkpoint and not all progress is lost, some enemies don't respawn, you don't have to go down that optional side path again because the loot doesn't respawn, and your bloodstain placement is different every time.
In any case, calling it an "action RPG with some persistence through death" is better than "Souls-like".
Now that I think about it, Demon's Souls actually owes a lot to System Shock.
>>
>>385713871
I would be fine with it if they stick using it to actually describe games like Dark Souls, but no they just misuse the term into oblivion just like Roguelike.

Honestly I'll look down on such people, especially if they aren't complete normies, but ones who actually have no excuse for their ignorance.
>>
I guess it's fine in very, very specific contexts. For instance, "Nioh plays in similar way to Dark Souls" in some circunstances may be acceptable to say that "Nioh has a Souls-like gameplay", but mostly it's terrible.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.