[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the hate for this game a meme or what? Spent all day on fightcade

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_1682.png (41KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1682.png
41KB, 384x224px
Is the hate for this game a meme or what? Spent all day on fightcade and it's actually pretty good.
>>
People hate on Third Strike? It's the best SF
>>
>>385662774
Also, do you want to play? I'm not very good but still
>>
that depends what youre talking about.

ken and yun have good turtling.

parries fuck with fundamentals. doesn't necessarily make 3s a bad game, just that it's incredibly different from other fightan.

supers being the main way of doing good damage.

zoning getting completely nerfed.

unbalance coming from top tier, but that's nothing special.
>>
>>385662390
>Is the hate for this game a meme
Yes you idiot
>>
>>385662390
people just really don't like how unbalanced it is and some don't like parries, at least not as a mechanic that can be used at all times.

Besides that i really wish there was a 4th version of the game.
>>
>>385662390
only people that are obsessed with sf2 random ass mechanics and actually defend these say it's bad
or 09ers
people that actually played the game still foam their mouth over it to this day
Just hear gootecks or anyone talking about street fighter and how much fun they have compared to 4, let alone v
>>
It's very different. A lot of what many people like about SF just isn't present in the game.
>>
/v/'s insufferable affectation for contrarianism, which has drastically worsened in recent years, has put every classic in the crosshairs,
>>
>>385663137
the game is really not unbalanced, it's just that chun is really fucking good.
Without that the game is actually extremely well balanced except maybe yun and even then you don't see chun that often and is still extremely beatable
Last cooperation cup had more makotos and stuff and the last round was won by an alex
>>
>>385662390
Like you can judge the quality of a fighting game after a bunch of matches anon.

You need to pass a certain skillevel threshhold to be able to judge how the game plays out in a regular match.
>>
>>385663196
The only other sf games I've played are Alpha 2 and 3, IV and V. I understand what you mean by 3rd Strike not being like Alpha series, but I greatly prefer it to 4 and 5. Especially 4.
>>
>>385663374
That just sounds like elitism nigger
>>
>>385663474
alpha was a broken mess SPECIALLY alpha 3
>>
>>385662390
OP here. Also noticed howpeople said zoning was ineffective in this game but I'm doing a pretty good job with Remy. Not the best fighting game player, but I'm solid with him
>>
>>385663328
>the game is really not unbalanced

It actually is though.

Yun and chun are pretty much considered broken. The top 5 shit on the rest of the cast pretty easily and the difference between them is pretty huge. even if you consider parries there are moves much harder to predict or parry in general.

It is not a bad game but the balance is indeed kinda fucked, it is less apparent in high level play because pros are pretty much used to it.

Also, makoto does shitloads of stun so she is not a uncommon pick.
>>
>>385662390
It gets hated on by casuals and people who were too young to play it when it came out. Instead of playing the game and forming their own opinion, they hop on the bandwagon and parrot the same, tired, often wrong talking points about the game.

They're easy to spot. They're the ones who say things like, "It killed the Street Fighter series for a decade"
>>
There's always been talk about how people were put off by the new characters, balance, parrying etc. But I think a lot of why SF3 didn't take off as well as SF2 is the way the home release was handled. NG and 2I's console release was about two years after it they came out in arcades, and then 3S a year later after its arcade release, all on the Dreamcast at that (Not knocking the DC, but it just didn't have the user base that the PS2 did). 3S didn't come out on the PS2 until 2004, about five years after it's arcade release, and this was when arcades in the West were declining and not as hoppin' as they were back in the early 90's.
>>
>>385663806
>"It killed the Street Fighter series for a decade"
what exactly killed it for over a decade then?
>>
Q and Oro DESERVE another chance in a game. SFV DLC when?
>>
Not >>385663918
You could argue MvC2 took a big bite away from Street Fighter.

Also, CFJ, CFAS and possibly SFA3.
>>
>>385663328
top 5 are yun,chun,ken,makoto,dudley

shouldve mentioned the hugo in 1st team, and elena in 2nd team.

regardless. having one midtier when the rest of your team are high tiers isnt really an issue in a best of 1.

>>385663726
yell, that's his gameplan. him and twelve are lowtier for a reason. they fill the quota of a guile and dhalsim, but tickle you to do damage
>>
The game is extremely well liked and popular, I don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

But there is valid criticism. The game is unbalanced as all hell and, much like Melee, if you plan to compete at top level, not many characters are viable. Still, the game is usually liked by hype enthusiasts. I don't practice much at 3S and never participated in tourneys, but it's still my favorite entry of the series for the sheer "anything can happen" factor. someone at the brink of death can bring it back flawlessly thanks to the parry system and the extremely aggressive playstyle. So it's a game where you're always in each other's face and where mastering the mind game becomes crucial.
>>
>>385663918
The cast being composed of almost entirely new characters, no joking, it tremendously reduced the appeal. And the game released during the "3d hype" where every game needed to be 3d to be considered modern and cool and good, SF3 didn't have any of that, so it bombed
>>
>>385663918
>Over-saturation of 2D fighting games during the late 90's/early 00's
>Decline of the arcade scene, especially in America
>Increased popularity in crossovers
>Capcom transitioning into "New Capcom"

Any or all of these
>>
>>385663726
he is extremely easy to parry since most of his moves are 1 hit only.
>>
>>385664370
Agreed, but for the wrong reason.
>>
>>385664191
It seems on /v/ and at large in the fgc that this game is hated. Whenever SF is praised people usually hail Super Turbo, Alpha 2/3 or IV as the best game in the series. I've seen 3rd Strike dismissed as trash a countless number of times, not being hyperbolic
>>
>>385664191
There was a second wave of popularity when sf4 came out and 3s was rereleased where a lot of new playres started kinda overhyping calling it the best fighter ever etc even if it is not true but some of them just wanted to look "og" so they just repeated the 3s best fg ever even when lots of them didn't play it. They just know about daigo and the parries
>>
>>385664245
And yet SF3 is probably the most beautiful fightan of all time aside from GG Xrd
>>
>>385664702
The sprite work is definetly one of the most detailed and fluid there's ever been
>>
>>385663137
This. I played 3rd Strike online for like say the first year and a half it was out. Fantastic game but the top tiers in that game really do outshine 90% of the roster. And I'm a fucking Necro main.

Also like 2% of the entire game's community used parry. It's an interesting mechanic but it's fucking annoying to land it even on stick.
>>
>>385665002
>It's an interesting mechanic but it's fucking annoying to land it even on stick.
it is also quite annoying to dealwith some one who is good at parries, especially if you are playing a character like remmy.

>fighting some Ryu onj fightcade
>nigga parries literally every move and command move i trow being in the ground or air
>He parries the entire especial two times

he double perfected me multiple times, dude was just too good.
>>
>>385662390
The parry mechanic in SF3 essentially kills zoning and reduces the game to rushdown and guessing games. If your zoning is working then your opponent doesn't understand parrying. This meant the gameplay was very different from earlier Street Fighters.

The roster was missing most beloved classic Street Fighter characters. The soundtrack was good, but very different from previous games in the franchise.

All in all, it didn't feel like a sequel to Street Fighter at all. So people didn't like the game at all.

Meanwhile, the SF3 developers felt like they'd made the best fighting game of all time. The spritework was (and is) amazing, the sound design was great and they considered the parry mechanic the epitome of competitive play. They had no idea how to improve on the formula. So Capcom stopped investing in developing new fighting games, instead releasing a few crossover games with reused assets like MvC2, CvS2 and Capcom Fighting Jam and focusing on other genres of video games.

Eventually people started appreciating Third Strike for what it was. Evo Moment #37 did a lot to win people over. But by then it was too late. Capcom had pretty much stopped making fighting games and their competitors weren't stepping up to fill the void either. The fighting game genre was pretty much dead for ten years (unless you liked anime games like Guilty Gear).

So yeah. People hate Street Fighter 3 for a reason.
>>
>>385664546
>on /v/
Why are you using /v/ as any representative of the FGC?
>>
>>385665469
did cvs2 reuse sprites? never thought one or the other, but i read that the yun sprite from alpa3 double upper is from cvs2
>>
>>385665486
/vee/ isn't the only place I hear that tho
>>
>>385662390
I like the game, but that's only because I never got to play it competitively.
Because I definitely understand why this game would get shit, seeing what high level SF3 looks like
>>
>>385665827
Yeah. I think mainly on the Capcom side of things.

And of course lol Morrigan.
>>
>>385665827
They used the classic fucking Morrigan sprite, as well as a bunch of Street Fighter Alpha sprites for Sakura, Sagat, Vega, Blanka etc. They looked ridiculously out of place.
>>
>>385665436

Pretty much. It's funny you mention that. One night I was feeling ballsy and I decided to play Remy online. I won't lie and say I've done a lot of parries , I haven't. But this one particular night I landed one with him on a tough Ryu or Ken and it was one of the greatest things ever. Remy is fun as fuck to play but the concept of him being a glass cannon and being difficult to play is really baffling.

Yeah when someone is that good at parries it's fucking GG. Which is why only a small fraction of players can actually use it.
>>
>>385666035
Are you implying you'd even be able to play at a high level? Even playing on fightcade so many people miss parry opportunities like crazy
>>
>>385666226
>>385666212
i remember morrigan atleasst,she was fucking distracting.
>>
>>385666315
I'm not. And I definitely have 0 will to learn this game correctly. But that's simply because the parry mechanic is too present. Like, when you're a shitter, it doesn't feel bullshit because it takes SKILL to pull out, and it's usually not really game changing.
But when you come to a level where everything can just get blatantly parried, involving into some constant janken, I'm much less interested. Like sure, fighting games are indeed nothing else than a fast-paced constant janken. But most of fightans have nothing that is close to be as strong as parry.

This is also one reason of why I dislike the "if it's hard to pull, then its strength is justified".
>>
>>385666836
Parrying is obviously a problem but isn't everything you're saying conjecture considering it seems like you've never actually played this game with other people?
>>
>>385667052
It's mostly speculation and how I imagine the game to be played at high level. Because I really enjoy watching the game, and I'm having a blast each time there's a coop cup.
And I did play against some people, but they were mostly as trash as me. The only good guy I've ever played managed to parry 80% of what I did. It was that day I never went back into the game, and screamed FUCKING BULLSHIT.
>>
Yeah, there was a meme a few years back where everyone pretended to love it and it's the best game ever.

So the contrarian bandwagon meme of the past few years has been it's the worst fighting game ever and muh parries and muh balance, etc.

And before some retarded shitter thinks I'm saying balance isn't important because they can't read, that's not what I'm saying, I'm bringing up that people use it as an excuse to shit on this game (blowing it out of proportion) while promoting games that are just as bad or even worse.

Basically having opinions on 3S instead of just playing it is a meme in general at this point.
>>
>>385663137

it is funny how the game that plays the most unlike Street Fighter is the one people like. It did not get popular until Tokido vs Wong 4 years after the game came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6hZKF5CcNQ

Then of course the Daigo parry.

>>385663328

The game is not balanced at all. Look at all the tournament results and past team tournament line-ups.
>>
>>385669535
Except it's not the one they like the most considering Super Turgo and 4 are hailed as the best in the series by many
>>
File: 1501408505882.png (308KB, 473x466px) Image search: [Google]
1501408505882.png
308KB, 473x466px
>he picks boring shotos
>>
>>385662390
There is very little real "hate" for Third Strike. Its annoying online fanbase of underage Maximiliandood followers who have never played a second of sf3 IRL or online in their lives are what people genuinely hate. You have these 12 y/olds who have no idea what the game is about and only go on about " Le hype XDXD". Iv'e only seen real hate for the game from some old pro's who probably got sick of watching the same stagnate top-tiers duke it out when it was mainstage at evo.
>>
>>385662390
No one hates 3rd strike, it was just "controversial" when it first came out because it removed pretty much all of the fan favorites from 2
>>
>>385662774
3rd Strike wasn't very popular when it was released back in the day but there was no hate. The only SF game that people legitimately hate is SFV and for good reasons.
>>
Any other game with parry?
>>
>>385670283

>The only SF game that people legitimately hate is SFV and for good reasons.

You seem to forget the hate train for SF4. So many salt parades about focus absolutely ruining footsies, Ultras being a crutch for shitters, KenSagat4:TigerYuken Edition etc etc.
>>
>>385670283
People really hated sf4, but now people appreciate it. no one will care to come back to it though since it doesn't really do anything different, or does anything better
5 will probably be felt the same in the end
>>
Only nostalgiafags hate 3rd strike. The game blows away Alpha and Turbo in terms of gameplay.
>>
>>385670972

The gameplay is literally just Alpha made easy.
>>
>>385671184
Easier =/= Clunky
>>
>>385671184
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.
>>
File: angry15.png (47KB, 114x150px) Image search: [Google]
angry15.png
47KB, 114x150px
>>385671184
>the "I get my fighting game opinions from razorfist" post
Don't talk about things you don't know about
>>
>>385671750

It is. Alpha made you work for you parries and had far more depth. 3S is just "press towards to negate all damage and maybe down if attack is cr."

>>385672048

No idea who that fag is, I've been playing SF since 96.
>>
>>385662390
What the fgc loves third strike I think the series peak was sfa2 gold but whatever fags love parrying.
>>
>>385672138
Wow, you really are retarded.
>>
>>385662774
like clockwork.
>>
3S is broken as shit, Chun-Li and Yun are basically the only viable characters
>>
File: 1.jpg (37KB, 680x267px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
37KB, 680x267px
>>385663328
You're literally retarded there are 6 characters worth playing and of those 6 there are a definitive top 2
>>
>>385672403
I love retards like you, that's like saying Adon and Ken were the only viable characters in SFIV.
>>
>>385663012
this post is complete bullshit
>>
>>385670665
mainly garou. but look up the parry page on the sf wiki
>>
>>385672581
Adon and Ken were the only viable characters in SFIV though.
>>
>you can't play anyone but the top few in 3S or it's impossible to win
>please ignore any time everyone who wasn't these 2 or Twelve or Sean was in a tournament, those don't count
>>
File: 1434033114453.jpg (158KB, 840x737px) Image search: [Google]
1434033114453.jpg
158KB, 840x737px
i only enter these threads to get mad as fuck can someone please end my suffering already.
>>
>>385672616
how?
>inb4 reddit spacing

>>385672712
format matters.weaker chara get carried in team tournaments. Then theres people getting gimmicked out in a best of 1. I even argue that the format is design to encourage character variety, either with the aboove or in chara specific teams.

some exceptions breaking the rule doesn't mean the rule isn't there, especially when parries make insane comebacks easier to pull of(fuck my diction. replace easier with a better fitting word, pls)
>>
>it's a /v/ talks about fighting episode
despite what you faggots that never played 3s in your lives say 3s was never popular. Nobody liked it when it came out and it almost killed the fucking genre. There are only two characters worth playing. Chun Li and Ken. Yun can go suck a dick
>>
>>385664702
That's because it had such a huge budget that it never turned a profit.
>>
>>385673415
Hope you like dicks
>>
>>385671184
>no actual alpha hd
>>
>>385673415
>Chun-Li and Ken
Wow I guess you never played the game either, Yun and Chun are the top two
>>
>>385673415
>le episode /v/ meme
>here comes the true everybody i love dicks

its ok anon, homosexuality is ok.
>>
>>385670898
>5 will probably be felt the same in the end
God I hope not. SFV screwed the SF formula up.

4 made a lot of mistakes, but 5 made everyone appreciate the things it did right. The only way people could look back at 5 with rose tinted glasses is if SF6 is even worse.

>>385665469
That's a good summary.
>>
>>385673415
Damn did you hear that from your vet friend?
>>
File: 1496436366374.jpg (47KB, 475x530px) Image search: [Google]
1496436366374.jpg
47KB, 475x530px
it's fucking HARD. I still don't understand some of the mechanics

>character is reset but you can still juggle
>hit confirms are non-existent, yet people still do it
>>
>>385663012
>ken and yun have good turtling.
They have great rush down
>parries fuck with fundamentals. doesn't necessarily make 3s a bad game, just that it's incredibly different from other fightan.
They don't. If anything they strengthen ones fundamentals and then some.
>supers being the main way of doing good damage.
>main way
Wrong. Combos, pokes, getting in, etc. These are the main ways of doing good damage, not to mention Combo into super = reduced dmg than a pure super art to the face which can be blocked, parried, etc.
>zoning getting completely nerfed.
Wrong again. Tons of ways to zoe in this game
>unbalance coming from top tier, but that's nothing special.
Probably the only true-ish statements. Ken/Yun/Chun as we all know are top, with Chun being the most notable, and everyone else fights for 2nd and 3rd place.
>>
>>385673190
see
>>385673849
>>
File: capcomfighting.png (335KB, 584x566px) Image search: [Google]
capcomfighting.png
335KB, 584x566px
What about the hate for these games?
>>
>>385673190
>format matters
There is a Japanese Hugo who is known for blowing up Japanese Yuns pretty consistently. Yun is usually considered only under Chun in tiers while Hugo is usually placed as near bottom as he can be without being Sean and Twelve. Practically everyone in the cast has advantage over him except Sean.

I'm not talking about team carries or best to one.
>>
>>385673849
>Wrong. Combos, pokes, getting in, etc. These are the main ways of doing good damage, not to mention Combo into super = reduced dmg than a pure super art to the face which can be blocked, parried, etc.
Not him but come on main way of doing damage was fishing for Cr. medium into super
>>
>>385674001
All dead and never ever forever returning outside of cameos or crossovers. Press F.
>>
>>385673684
>yun
>top two
Maybe in 2005 faggot

>>385673837
no faggot I used to actually go to tournaments back in 2006. I used to wipe shitters like you with Denjin Ryu.

>>385674081
nobody plays this shit anymore. Boss, KSK, Ino they were all good at the crap players but were never good enough to be at the top. This is the same thing that happened to ST. You have players like Mao who are the best now because no one can be bothered to play a dead game except on special occasions.
>>
>>385670283
Street fighter 3 wasnt popular. Third strike is what made players pick it up. Even then it was still maybe only 2-4k people playing at its peak
>>
>>385674237
maybe if youre chun
>>
>>385674350
>nobody plays this shit anymore. Boss, KSK, Ino they were all good at the crap players but were never good enough to be at the top
Oh, so you have LITERALLY no idea what you're talking about, that's cool. I'll keep enjoying co-op cup while you keep being a retard on the internet.
>>
>>385663159
I'm tired of trying to remind shitters why SF3 sucks, so lets let a former world champion do it for me:
http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/951190#Comment_951190

Parry is the only defining mechanic in SF3. For years people could say "Yeah, but dashing and EX moves in an SF game bruh", but both SFIV and SFV have that at this point. SFIV literally took what worked in SF3, and got rid of what didn't.

You wanna know why some people hate SF3? It's because SF3 fanboys are the worst. There are only three types of SF3 fan, and no more.
>Type 1
Has been playing since late 90s/early 00s. Thinks fighting games are all about memorization, and loses every time they fight anyone who knows as much as they do. Plays 3S because whenever they play something else they lose to people who have a better understanding of game psychology. Always blames the game instead of their lack of skill.
>Type 2
Fuckers who tried the game after they saw the Daigo parry video. They saw the good animation and the flashy shit and thought "Wow that game is awesome". Then they tried it and realized they sucked. They think "Well, this game must be deep as hell, it's amazing!", when really they're just easily amused by shiny things and are shit at fighting games.
>Type 3
These are people without a cock who see how loud Type 1 and 2 are and think "Oh, they must be right" and say SF3 is the best fighting game of all time EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T EVEN PLAY IT.

>>385670070
Maximiliandood and his horde love SF3, what the fuck are you talking about?

>>385672581
Not even close. Adon and Ken were only top tier in one game together: SSF4 Arcade Edition (Pre-2012), but in that game, Yun is WAY BETTER than anyone else. In SF3, Chun-Li is the best character by a country mile, no debate. Even ST has a little bit of room at the top (Some people would argue that Vega or Dhalsim are better than O. Sagat). Alpha 2 has this problem as well with Rose.
>>
>>385674598
And ken, and ryu and dudley and yun and yang and necro and Q and remy and ... have i forgotten someone
>>
>>385675076
oh boy
>>
>>385675018
>http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/951190#Comment_951190

>the viscant post

KEK

shits already been blown the fuck out by multiple players. Its funny how everyone says there are no footsies in 3s yet everyone also says all you do is fish for pokes into super. Then you watch top plays and theres tons of spacing and footsies
>>
>>385675018
>this game is bad because some guy on the internet said so 17 years ago
lol
>>
>>385675018
>the Viscant post where he outs himself as a retard on the level of a /v/ poster who doesn't play a game but shit talks it
Woah.

In seriousness though, that post has always been a joke, the fact people parrot it or link it as an argument is the best part.

It's like when people source the Onion as news.
>>
>>385675076
but ryu is great
>>
It would be goat if it had Zangief.
>>
>>385670898
4 had like a decade to get better
SFA3 is still the most fun SF
>>
>>385663328
>the game is not unbalanced except for all these things that make it unbalanced
>>
>>385676803
>every fighting game that isn't Skullgirls is broken and unplayable
Fascinating.
>>
>>385677682
Literally nobody said that but you
>>
>>385678952
I was doing what you did to the other guy.
>>
>>385672403
>3S is broken as shit, Chun-Li and Yun are basically the only viable characters
Ken, Urien, Dudley, and Makoto are all viable.
>>
>>385679091
Except you pulled bullshit that wasn't mentioned at all while that other guy literally said the game is really not unbalanced, then listed a bunch of shit that makes it unbalanced
>>
>>385664132

>Wanting Q without parries

No. He's a punish character so he needs a means to get in.
>>
>>385679201
He's talking about how it isn't unbalanced in the way liars make it out to be, which it isn't, you being a retard and greentexting what he said and putting it in a different context so you can pretend it's self-contradictory is equivalent to just making shit up as a quote.
>>
>>385679381
Give him a parry V skill duh
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.