[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's wrong with the boost games? Rush and its sequels

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: Boost_Formula.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Boost_Formula.png
1MB, 1280x720px
What's wrong with the boost games?
Rush and its sequels were good, so why hate the 3D renditions of them?
>>
>>385660390
Because the sonic games turned into a race track.
Which the series was never about
>hur hold right to win.
Same could be said about Mario. But you would defend that shit to the grave.
I didn't much care for the later two advance sonic games. where you move far to fast to see the enemy coming at you.
I liked the Adventure games and heroes because it wasn't boost shit. It had plenty of platforming and other gameplay styles to mix it up.
These new games are 100% boost all the time. They had to make Wide springs so you can't miss them while boosting forward.
>>
File: 1500079395266.jpg (71KB, 478x524px)
1500079395266.jpg
71KB, 478x524px
>>385660694
>Because the sonic games turned into a race track
The thing is, I think this is a natural progression of what Adventure 2's Sonic levels are. The levels are pretty much a race to the finish, while enjoying the more cinematic aspects.

I'd argue that Generations got the boost formula right, except that Sonic (although controlling better than he ever did in Unleashed and Colors), feels hard to navigate through platforming sections and whatnot.

Wouldn't the best compromise be to have Adventure-like controls with a boost and spindash option? That way Sonic still can be controlled while moving at high speeds.
>>
>>385661137
Half the fucking fun of the adventure series was learning how to get a shorter time in the stages through working the levels platforming.
With Rush and every game after you just hold forward and boost until you clear the finish-line and hope you don't splat head first into a enemy you couldn't see coming.
Rush is the natural progression of Sonic R.
>>
It neutered any sense of level design. You're just zipping along without any semblance of playing a level.
>>
>>385661501
>With Rush and every game after you just hold forward and boost until you clear the finish-line and hope you don't splat head first into a enemy you couldn't see coming.
But that just means you got skilled at the Adventure games? The boost formula is exactly that too. Trial and error.

Even the classics were very trial and error too. Sonic 2 comes into mind with some pretty obnoxious spikes, but nobody brings that up for whatever reason.
>>
>>385661696
Sonic was never trial and error.
The boost games are shit because of this.
You didn't move far to fast to react to oncoming enemies in sonic 1-adventure 2. You could clearly see them coming and there was multiple paths to the end of the level.
Boost shit is one path littered with multiple enemies you can and never will see coming unless you practice that stage.
The enemy's in the old games weren't obstacles. Most of the time they were additional platforms to other paths to finish the stage.
In boost shit they are walls made just to blind side you.
there is a reason why the best levels in Generations are the classic sonic levels and that everyone was happy that Sonic Mania was being developed and laughed at forces.
>>
>>385662190
>there is a reason why the best levels in Generations are the classic sonic levels
He played nothing like Classic Sonic. He would actually LOSE SPEED by rolling down a slope. Boost at least did what it did well.
>>
>>385662498
He played nothing like classic sonic. True.
But it played nothing like Boost shit so it was the only acceptable stages to play.
>>
>>385661501
Half the fucking fun of the Adventure series was getting the fucking thing to work and not sperg out on some wall thanks to shit controls and camera or clip through the fucking ground.

>>385662190
>Sonic was never trial and error.
Yes, it was.
>The boost games are shit because of this.
The boost games are some of the few where you can actually see things coming.
>You didn't move far to fast to react to oncoming enemies in sonic 1
Yes, you did. Or rather, you couldn't see shit because the field of view was too small and the camera positioning didn't compensate for you going fast.
>Boost shit is one path littered with multiple enemies you can and never will see coming unless you practice that stage.
Are you a cyclops or...?
>The enemy's in the old games weren't obstacles.
Oh fuck off with that bait.
>>
>>385660390

With Mania coming out soon, history revisionists have decided that boost was never good.
>>
File: sabnic.gif (199KB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
sabnic.gif
199KB, 250x188px
>>385662663
>>385662190
Are you kidding? Even in Sonic 1, if you wanted to get to the end of the level relatively quickly, as it was advertised like in the 90s, you had to know levels in-and-out.

Even Green Hill Zone, has random springs that send you careening backwards if you don't know it's there, which could potentially send you to the lower pathways.

As for Boostgames, have you tried not boosting to your death all the time? Especially in Generations where keeping your boost up is basically a reward for playing well.

Most of the hidden stuff like Red Rings are located in alternate pathways. Sky Sanctuary and Seaside Hill come to mind, with loads of platforming.

Sure, Boost's flaws are that it doesn't have much momentum physics, but 3D Sonic games don't even use Momentum Physics in their level design which is a shame.
>>
File: photo.jpg (56KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
56KB, 900x900px
>>385660390
WE DON'T NEED ANOTHER BOOST TO WIN TITLE YOU FRICK!
>>
I'm glad when people push back against the boost gameplay. I feel like not enough of that is going on and people just take it up the ass.
>>
I hope that Forces bombs and gets reamed for being stale so that Sonic Team is forced to go back to making Adventure-like gameplay, with more exploration and variety.
>>
>>385663005
I have no doubts that Mania will be amazing, but I'm genuinely surprised at the backlash boost has been getting as of late.

The arguments for Unleashed and Colors can me made for sure, but I'm surprised even Generations gets flack, even though it has sweet level design .
>>
>>385663483
Should have bought Lost World, Adventard. It's never coming back.
>>
>>385663759
I do think adventure like controls could be beneficial for boost games when heavy platforming is involved. iunno
>>
>>385663138
Yes. You did.
But it wasn't trial and error.
You could barely "error" in that game. Dying didn't happen too easily. enemies were easily dispatched and noticed. Most people got to the end of the stages long before the timer. besides Sonic & Knuckles Sandopolis.
Easily the worst stage in any 2d Sonic game.

The only remotely hard and trial and error anything was the end game bosses.
Random springs and such didn't send you into death traps or unnoticable enemies. Most hidden springs were hidden in trees and off the beaten path. All used to get you to a different path to the goal.
While All springs in Boost shit a Speed strips to make sure you don't miss the jump or run into a wall.
>>385662840
>Yes, it was.
Unless you were brain dead retarded. No it wasn't.
>The boost games are some of the few where you can actually see things coming.
Every Rush and Advance game would beg to differ.
>Yes, you did.
You and I have a completely different idea what Sonic 1 was don't we?
>Oh fuck off with that bait.
Not bait. they were placed most of the time to get you to higher places are to clear a further distance. Rarely if ever placed as a clear road block.
>>
>>385663483
That would make me sad because if Forces is unfun then I'm never coming back to the series.
>>
>>385663513
Last half of Generations was a fucking travesty. Every stage after City Escape was a fucking mess.
Hell Classic Sonic in City Escape sucked too.
>>
>>385663759
Lost world was in no way adventure-like and was a really mediocre game.
>>
>>385663223
Didn't Sammie grow up and become normal?
>>
>>385665109
>in no way adventure-like
>really mediocre game
Pick one.

>>385665790
He just learned how to hide his power level.
>>
File: 1500141126463.gif (951KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
1500141126463.gif
951KB, 625x625px
>>385664828
>While All springs in Boost shit a Speed strips to make sure you don't miss the jump or run into a wall.
See, now this is a criticism I can get by with the boost games. It's like Sega's afraid of people sucking, which would cause lower review scores or something.
On the flipside, Adventure games also have that automation here and there, but it's not as blatant to help people move forward.

>trial and error
Yeah, I was also about to talk about Sandopolis, but see? Sonic games always had that type of non-sense to them, which is why knowing the level is pretty much the fun of it all.

Let me give you another example, Spring Yard Zone in Sonic 1, where Acts 1 and 2 have pits that Sonic uses to gain slope momentum in order to go upwards and into alternate paths.

Act 3, has a bottomless pit or two where one would think there'd be a slope to use to gain height, which really flies in the face of what one expects in Act 1 and 2. You wouldn't know to avoid those pits unless you had played the level prior.

>>385665001
>Every stage after City Escape was a fucking mess
I actually hate Classic Sonic in Generations, since the "hold X to win" argument holds a lot of weight with how overpowered the Spin Dash feels, in order for the levels to feel "similar" to a Classic Sonic game.

As for the levels though, you weren't a fan of Seaside Hill, or Rooftop Run? Planet Wisp's last half sucks ass though, and I actually enjoy Modern Sonic's 2D gameplay, but no matter how much skill one has, a lot of it is just unfun.

Colors is similar in this regard, so it didn't have a good base to work off of though.
>>
File: 1461713043801.gif (3MB, 700x636px) Image search: [Google]
1461713043801.gif
3MB, 700x636px
>>385662190
>Sonic was never trial and error.
Is this nigga serious?
>>
The anon in this thread screaming "Boostshit boostshit boostshit!" makes me glad that this board isn't the main voice of the Sonic fanbase.
>>
>>385666119
Sandopolis isn't trial and error.
I have been playing that shit for years. Act 2 of Sandopolis is just a shitty level.
>>
Sonic Rush actually does boostshit even worse than the 3D games.
How anyone can see either Rush game as anything above a 4/10 game is beyond me
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.