[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not even joking, have Star Citizen backers become an actual,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 11

File: rz-UUqQX.jpg (84KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
rz-UUqQX.jpg
84KB, 800x800px
Not even joking, have Star Citizen backers become an actual, honest-to-God cult?
>"The fastest way for CIG to get 3.0 out in the quality we all desire is for them to continue to set these very aggressive goals, and then adjust as they don't hit them. 3.0 would take longer to deliver if they set more conservative goals. The only reason for setting conservative estimates is to placate the community. I would argue strongly against that. They are giving regular updates to their progress and showing what they think is best case. This is desirable to them obfuscating and trying to 'under sell/over deliver' the community with padded dates."

From the leddit page:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/6qhfap/if_you_think_cig_should_plan_more_realistically
This is fucking insane.
>>
>>385656181
Bro, it has been a cult since it's inception
>>
I look forward to 3.0
>>
>>385656181
this guy sounds like a fucking retard. so basically any goals a business sets itself are completely fucking pointless? are cash flow forecasts like unicorns now?

these people are absolutely fucking deluded. consistently NOT hitting deadlines is a sign of a deeply troubled production. and not only that, it shows signs that whoever is leading the development is a complete fucking trainwreck.
>>
>>385656181
did they ever released a public/backer alpha or some shit?
>>
I love thinking about redditors that spent thousands of dollars on this game only to see the dev be liquidated and the "game" sold off to a bank.
>>
File: 45656688ijn453.png (52KB, 972x176px) Image search: [Google]
45656688ijn453.png
52KB, 972x176px
>>385656441
>it shows signs that whoever is leading the development is a complete fucking trainwreck.

yes
>>
File: redcucks.png (14KB, 769x82px) Image search: [Google]
redcucks.png
14KB, 769x82px
OH NO NO NO
>>
the stupid thing (ok, one of many) is that when the full game eventually does come out, even if it's in 10 years and it sucks, these people will be so entrenched they'll all loudly insist it was a success anyway and that they're proud to be involved
>>
>>385657070
Good old nepotism, the perfect choice when you're given a lot of money that you don't have to be accountable for.
>>
>>385657337
They're literally going to rob RSI when the end comes. All the remaining cash on hand is going to end up in a company in Ireland or Delaware after passing through panama or something. Then Amazon might step in and put the remaining Crysis devs they hired in charge to shit out some sort of space game. Maybe just finish Squadron 42.
>>
Real talk: was this game's funding and subsequent support through ridiculously priced virtual goods a massive money laundering scheme?
>>
I remember reading the news about the developer being broke because he made the programmers do the same thing a shitload of times and wasting a huge amount of money.
>>
>>385656568
It's been out for years.

All the current drama is because the next update got delayed by a week, it's a big nothingburger.

If that new update is good, SC is redeemed. If it's bad, it's the next TORtanic.
>>
>>385657915
You underestimate nostalgiafags. Plenty of people who liked Freelancer/Wing Commander with a shit ton of disposable income to throw around.
>>
>>385656345
>since it's inception
>since it is inception
what?
>>
File: 34264556756756.png (1MB, 1138x1120px) Image search: [Google]
34264556756756.png
1MB, 1138x1120px
>>385657915
Answer should be obvious by now. At this point they must have had near on $300M. Even if they do come out with some kind of shell of a game so they can say. Look, there it is'. It in no way is going to reflect the vast amounts of money they got. Most of which by now seems to have vanished into the either.
>>
File: ygth456778645435.png (435KB, 869x891px) Image search: [Google]
ygth456778645435.png
435KB, 869x891px
>>385658195
>redeemed
>>
>>385658310
Sure, I get that. But there has to be a limit, right? The pace at which they're selling off ships (ships that don't even fucking exist, mind you) worth thousands of dollars would suggest that their entire fanbase consists of nothing but whales.
>>
>>385658195
It's still in deep shit. They announced a little while ago that the game will have 10% of the promised content on release.
>>
File: MFW.jpg (204KB, 816x816px) Image search: [Google]
MFW.jpg
204KB, 816x816px
>>385657915
my non gamer friend asked me about star citizen once and he only knew how it was funded to a stupid amount of money.
I told him the entire rundown of star citizen.
>MFW litteraly 2 seconds after I finished telling him about all the bulllshit he comes to the same conclusion.
>>
this game is so weird. there are loads of fucking commercials for ships? tons of trailers even though not much of the stuff is actually in the game? developer 'shows' where they show of concept art and talk about the game (even though there's little else to talk about other than 'we delayed shit again')??
>>
>>385658380
please be bait please be bait please be bait please be bait please be bait please be bait
>>
I feel that people who are still supportive of RSI are missing the point. It's not that the project has been delayed or that RSI may have possibly misled the public. Delays are frequent in software projects, and people may not like to hear that the project can take years before there's anything playable. It's that every sign points to this being another Daikatana. They add a lot of expensive fluff(AAA voice actors, adding ships after ships for sale, adding 3 more games alongside the main game, fancy office and coffee machines, etc.) but have shown close to nothing that they have tackled any of the core problems(AI, networking, physics). It'd be one thing if Star Citizen took a long time but continue to make progress on the unsexy stuff. It's another thing if they continue selling cosmetics and concepts and ignore the elephant in the room, and it feels more like the latter every passing day.
>>
>>385658980
You better keep watching those shows faggot, they're the most expensive shows ever put on screen.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170730-225639.png (246KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170730-225639.png
246KB, 1080x1920px
>>385658596
That's been known for years anon. The largest current technical issue is culling related, and that'll go a long way towards higher player counts.

As it stands, I believe there's zero culling based on distance. The game renders that guy on the other side of the planet falling out of his spaceship at the moment. God bless Cryengine.

>>385658658
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/could-we-please-get-an-official-cig-confirmation-a/350872

That was back in the days where planets were cutscenes down to a single landing zone, iirc. I imagine scope creep with procedural planets threw a wrench in that.

Or they decided to go for much more detailed systems instead of Freelancer/Elite density. Who knows.

>>385658637
There's over a million people with money in the hole. There's definitely plenty of whales, but there's thousands of people who threw $30 at it years ago as well.

>>385658980
The weekly dev shit shows off plenty of inengine stuff. Around the Verse is the main one, just skip any part with Roberts on-screen because 90% of the devs in those videos have neat stuff to say.

And the ship commercials are old as hell worldbuilding. Pretty much everything in trailers has been shown off at other points, it just isn't in the alpha build.
>>
>>385658596
>should allow
>should
Oh boy, can't wait for that shitstorm.
>>
>>385659074
please learn english please learn english please learn english please learn english please learn english please learn english please learn english
>>
Kickstarter has been a great casestudy on why Publishers exist for a fucking reason. Someone has to be the wet blanket on deadlines and realistic goals.
>>
I'm still fucking surprised people trust Roberts after freelancer and the wing commander movie. Starlancer came out half decent becuase apparently his brother was the one actually in charge via warthog games that did the majority of the work on the game.
>>
>>385659613
Eh, there's good shit on KS. Free market in action, if you backed a failure you should have looked harder.

t. guy who backed four good games and one pile of shit

>>385659662
http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/freelancer

Freelancer was great though.

>Roberts admitted that his team required large sums of money, which only a huge company could provide, to continue developing Freelancer with its "wildly ambitious" features and unpredictable schedule; the project had overshot its original development projection of three years by 18 months.

That's one of the reasons SC got funded in the first place, people bitter about Freelancer getting pushed out.

Kinda like MGSV, in that the developer was overspending hilariously but would have still made another great game if they'd kept the money chute going.
>>
File: 1498245420904.jpg (21KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1498245420904.jpg
21KB, 400x400px
>>385657925
Ummmm, sweetie, a developer is most efficient when they're consistently missing every single deadline they set and deceptively marketing their game by promising childishly-lofty features they know they won't be able to implement. Everyone knows that lmao. Sure, they couldn't even deliver this relatively simple, basic thing they promised, but that's okay because now they're going to deliver an even BIGGER, BETTER, and MUCH MORE COMPLICATED thing instead! You just wait and see. So what if the game is three years late and has scaled back the initial scope by 95% while simultaneously failing to release an iteration of an alpha build for over a year and completely ignoring entire huge gameplay modules altogether? You can't rush perfection, sugarplum.
>>
File: CsfhYVyWgAAaVZi.jpg (107KB, 844x960px) Image search: [Google]
CsfhYVyWgAAaVZi.jpg
107KB, 844x960px
I work in the manchester studio for SC. I don't really care how the game ends up as long as I get paid. At least the office is nice and the other people are cool. Not a whole lot of crunch time either compared to shitholes like EA.

The biggest problems are 1) we're using fucking cryengine, and 2) roberts is clueless
>>
File: 1495560857540.png (60KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
1495560857540.png
60KB, 520x390px
>>385660231
what's your field?
>>
>>385659952
Freelancer was a shit show during development and was only saved by microsoft for commercial release and saved by modding for actual fun. The base game was broken and vanilla gameplay was a disgrace to the genre.

The whole thing shows that Roberts is shit with money management and setting realistic goals. A fucking shame that Microsoft actually bought digital anvil as well, since they canned lose cannon to focus just on fixing freelancer. The game actually sounded interesting at the time.
>>
>>385660386
tools

so nobody will actually see anything I make except other devs, or if I ever talk about it in an AtV
>>
>>385656181
They don't seem to know how to manage projects. First, you set the aggressive goals but you can't keep pushing them back all the fucking time. That's not project mangement. That's lying to your paying customers. Just sue Chris Roberts already. Pushing back deadlines are as good as no fucking deadline at all. Fucking amateurs.
>>
>>385660459
that's a shame, proper tools are probably the most important thing in game development. wherever you are buddy, i appreciate your work
>>
>>385659952
What you're saying in regards to Freelancer doesn't make a lot of sense, though. Surely the answer to overblown scope and limited funding is to reduce the scope, not increase the funding. Both from a business and creative point of view.
If you're going to give a developer the ability to expand the scope without any limits - the game will literally never be released and will instead get pushed back ad infinitum, regardless of how much money is involved.
SC is a great example of what happens when a developer is let loose with huge piles of money in it's pockets and has nobody to answer to.
>>
>>385660231
Yeah, it's not the people who actually make the game but it's this lying sociopath Chris Roberts and closest people surrounding him. As soon as they miss even one salary payment leave immediately. Or preferably leave before that, lol.
>>
>>385660637
Oh no definitely, every growing studio always forgets about tools until it's too late, so when an actual tools programmer gets there they have to build off of piles of shit that, like, graphics programmers threw together. I enjoy doing it because it's a relatively easy field to get a game dev job in, I'm basically unaffected by crunch time, and I work on projects by myself instead of having to tiptoe around other devs all the time. I'd like to talk about them on AtV at some point but most people just like looking at particle effects and art stuff.

Thanks for letting me know someone else appreciates tools!
>>
>>385660884
I don't think we'll be hitting that point any time soon, fortunately. I don't understand it, but somehow we're still raking in 1mil/month, and I'm sure we'll get a surge when 3.0 hits.
>>
>>385659952
What were the good games and what was the piece of shit ?
It was MN9, wasn't it ?
>>
File: Capture.png (166KB, 585x358px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
166KB, 585x358px
>>385661078
>1mil/month
make that closer to 2.5mil/month
>>
>>385661245
>>385661078
That's incredible because Chris is only selling .jpgs of the ships at this point. There has to be some kind of bigger money scam involved, the money is directed to somewhere else.
>>
>>385661395
My guess is: somebody is laundering money though them and giving them a cut to spend on "development".
>>
>>385660885

there was a tool guy on atv already, gave the regular joe like me some insight into the framework that dev's need to do their jobs and whatever. keep improving everyone's workflow bro
>>
>>385659594
his grammar was correct
>>
>>385661714
that was my boss :3
>>
>>385661141
Distance, Spintires, FTL, Shovel Knight, Godus

I learnt my lesson.
>>
>>385657326
Prepare to hear a lot of "I got my money back!".
>>
>>385661758
>since it is inception
>>
How was this Chris Roberts' ban from Hollywood? Lawsuit with Costner? Is there a pastebin for everything.
>>
As a bystander, I just want to play the game whenever it comes out. Even though its delay this after delay we're still closer to this "holy grail" of an update called Alpha 3.0 the backers keep talking about than we've ever been before. Looking at the development the game I say it isn't a scam and if it is, it's the most overly, unnecessarily complicated and expensive scam ever. I guess it all really comes down to the end result of the game which would be a pretty hilarious regardless of the outcome
>>
What's the point of the dates when there is no accountability? CIG misses dates literally all the time. And the sinister part is how these delays are revealed only after a big sale. The 21st saw a new sale and "everything is on track, internal review was good (what that was I would like to know), and now as the sale wrapped up dates slipped from any day now to 2 weeks.
>>
>>385657915
Money laundering would imply they didn't actually raise $300M. This is embezzlement.
>>
>>385663473
Money laundering means they raised that much because of dirty money purchases, particularly of $15k backing packages. Its now money earned through a "legitimate" fundraising scheme.
>>
>>385663473
That's exactly what I'm saying, I'm contending that they didn't actually raise anywhere close to that, not since K$ ended, at least.
Also: I wouldn't be surprised if they were embezzling money from the portion that they did raise.
>>
>>385661758
No. It should be "since its inception".

Fucking underage retards.
>>
>>385663779
I don't think you understand how money laundering works.
>>
>>385664405
>company has $1M in illicit money
>company reports 10000 fake sales of a $100 package
>company now has $1M laundered money that they can spend without raising alarms
>>
>>385662047

>not enjoying distance

at this point the only thing release will bring me is an official version of the soundtrack
>>
>>385657326
Editor of a pop-culture magazine in my country personally harassed me when I commented on the NMS fiasco, she was so deep in denial.
>>
>>385656181
hey man, they said it would come out in 2016 its only setback 16months you need to relax bruh, check out this new ship and armor they launched

I just had to buy it man it looks soo good i cant wait for this game to come out bruh, all ya haters just hatin cus the game is soo cool and good looking.

Ima go back playing it now, i cant wait for them to fix the game and give me 60+ fps instead of the 15-20 fps the current state of the game gives me. Its amazing how far this gfame has come in 4 years
>>
>replying to this thread
https://boards.fireden.net/v/search/image/Wq7TIF4Cw_dIyNXEdNApxw/
this thread is filled with clowns
honk
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.