[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making a MoHun game. What are the key things I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 3

File: monsterhunter.jpg (843KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
monsterhunter.jpg
843KB, 1920x1080px
I'm making a MoHun game.

What are the key things I need to not fuck up?
>>
Make it less like MH and more like Dark Souls.
>>
>>385630087

In what way?

Combat, world structure, multiplayer, stat progression?
>>
You cannot make a hunter game deep enough, and with enough content to be enjoyable alone.
Just give up now.
>>
>>385630548
Just the combat. Everything else is fine. Combat needs to be more fluid; less animations that take 10 seconds. More responsive controls.
>>
flat maps
no anime shit, like zinogre
>>
>>385630548
It's a meme don't take it seriously

Also do you have a large team or are you doing this solo? If you are solo, I recommend having a team of at least 3-4 people before even attempting this. Making a monhun clone is an ambitious project.
>>
>>385630745
He's making it in RPGMakerVX.
>>
>>385630642

>alone

I'm not doing it alone, we've a core team of four people who are already full time in studio, that'll expand to roughly 12 by the years end.
>>
>>385630548
Don't listen to that anon, DaS combat is clunky as fuck compared to Monster Hunter.
>>
don't make it intolerable for single player.

inb4 people scream "le git gud" it's fucking boring chipping away at a huge health bar for 15 minutes

Also get rid of those shitty weak animals that serve no purpose other than to get in your way while you're fighting the boss
>>
>>385630980
You've never played a MH game.
>>
>>385631029
More than you've played that's for sure.
>>
>>385631174
You've actually never played either any Monster Hunter game or any Dark Souls game if you think Dark Souls has clunkier combat controls. You're 100% full of shit. MH has some of the tankiest movement and irredeemably long animations of any third person action game series.
>>
>>385630050
Don't make the top tiered weapons look like absolute dog shit, or make the players be able to have vanity slots.
>>
>>385630548
Don't listen to that faggot, if I want Dark Souls I'll play Dark Souls. What drew me into monster hunter was how it felt like an actual hunt.

You have to track the monster, understand its behavior (Cephadrome stays in desert areas with lots of sand dunes, so it's faster to search in those instead of rocky areas, for example), how they get tired, or start limping when weak, or lose abilities when you break their body parts. You have to prepare yourself for both the monster and the enviroment before jumping in, and that's before you even get to the actual combat.
>>
>>385631329
>You've actually never played either any Monster Hunter game or any Dark Souls game if you think Dark Souls has clunkier combat controls.
Started with FU and the only Souls games I haven't played are DaS1 and Bloodborne.
MH hasn't been Souls tier clunky since FU sounds like you just need to acquire proficiency.
>>
Put it on a Sony system so it's actually next generation.
>>
>>385631495
I don't know who you think you're fooling but it sure as shit isn't me.
>>
>>385631605
Of course I can't fool you, you've never played an MH game to compare.
>>
chopable/breakable monster parts.
The monster stagger if he's hit by a powerful attack
>>
I don't have a lot to say, but please don't listen to >>385630087
If you're even seriously considering that suggestion then you have no hope, since it's a vague meme suggestion.
You need at least one Greatsword/Hammer type weapon where the goal is to position yourself before the monster reaches you so can unleash a big move.
Make sure nothing moves absurdly quickly or turns on a dime. If you want to make a multiplayer Ys game instead, do that, but know that players will want a nice balance between fast monsters and somewhat predictable monsters.
Having never made a game, I can't even tell you if these are the right things to tell you, but you can't fuck up the graphics. I know it sounds dumb and that graphics don't matter at the end of the day, but if you want people to be interested in your game, graphics and art design will make the first impression.
>>
If you have those punishing animations that MH has, have them actually make sense, not posing after every potion or patting your belly after eating

Make the monsters interesting, not just all dragons or covered in spikes or stuff
>>
Focus on the essentials and try to get a working prototype as soon as possible

Don't try to make a Monster Hunter game the size of monster hunter all on your own. You are going to fail.
>>
File: 1360380449950.jpg (21KB, 225x320px) Image search: [Google]
1360380449950.jpg
21KB, 225x320px
>>385631727
Irrational. Nobody who's played games from both series would ever make such a ridiculous claim. The very fact that I have to explicitly state that the game needs to stop being SO BAD at a certain aspect of the gameplay with an example on the other end of the spectrum should raise a red flag in your mind.

How about this. You give me an example of a single instance of clunky, unresponsive controls or animations in a Dark Souls game, and I'll give you a single instance of clunky, unresponsive controls or animations in a Monster Hunter game and we'll see who runs out of fucking examples first. You clown.
>>
File: 1400299085411.png (143KB, 399x352px) Image search: [Google]
1400299085411.png
143KB, 399x352px
make it open world survival with crafting
>>
>>385630050
>>385630904
I'd say a fully fledged Monhun game is a bit ambitious for about 12 people so maybe start off with more of an arena mode the work on the usual areas after.
>>
>>385630050
- Big ass Dinos
- Lots of grinding
- Silly running animation, the sillier the better
- Make hits feel powerful and not anime bullshit
>>
>>385630087
Don't listen to this fag, make it less like MH and more like Dragon's Dogma in terms of fighting big enemies.
>>
>>385630050
Take a look at Monster Hunter 3u. That's the best game in the franchise by far, albeit in the end it becomes too easy. Just follow that and you can't go wrong. Don't listen to people who want Dark Souls like combat, that's not Monster Hunter...and besides they will get it when Monster Hunter World releases anyway and then the franchise is dead.
>>
Don't make it too much like monster hunter. If I want to play monster hunter, I'll do that. Think of something unique. I didn't play a lot of God Eater, but I did play as much of it as I did because it was different enough from monster hunter to be worth playing for a while.
>>
Just make sure that each of the large monsters has an interesting or unique gimmick related to its evolutionary adaptation.

Some of my favorite monsters are the ones that make the most sense. Arzuros has big armored paws and thick fur because he goes after active hives full of honey. Barroth has a huge armored head because his nostrils are located at the top, allowing him to stay submerged in mud to avoid the desert heat, and so on.

But, I really doubt you're making a monster hunter -type game. You're probably just "considering" it or "imagining" it, which means that you'll quit in a week.
>>
you're not making shit

you're going to get maybe 10% there and give up
>>
>>385632074
Button press ques
>>
You better have fucking gauntlets because I'm tired of games these fucking games not letting me punch monster in the face. Make sure the hits are nice and punchy, I don't care how weak my weapon is, I want to feel like I'm fucking up this guy's day.
>>
>>385632074
>The very fact that I have to explicitly state that the game needs to stop being SO BAD at a certain aspect of the gameplay with an example on the other end of the spectrum should raise a red flag in your mind.
That red flag being that you haven't played a monster hunter game in your life.

>You give me an example of a single instance of clunky, unresponsive controls or animations in a Dark Souls game
General combat as well as the way the lock on functions hell half the time it's far more beneficial for the player to not lock on to enemies as well as the fact that that it prioritizes more slow, defensive play more than anything else.
>>
>>385630676

>flat maps

Care to elaborate? And no anime shit is already a given.

>>385631007

>don't make it intolerable for single player.

Done.

>>385631402

Don't make the top tiered weapons look like absolute dog shit, or make the players be able to have vanity slots.

Vanity slots are still a point of contention within the team, but I can agree that I absolutely hate getting stuck with high level gear that looks like shit. Do you think it's better to have a vanity slot system, or just allow people to upgrade any gear to top tiers?

>>385631419

We're pretty keen to really push the legitimate hunting aspects as well as an in depth bestiary....but without slipping too far into open world survival gaem territory.

>>385631776

Dismemberment for monsters, as well as players is currently planned. As for staggering it's probably going to be more like the breaking/severing of joints to slow/stagger really large enemies, rather than a full body reel from a powerful hit, smaller enemies however will get absolutely fucked up from big hammer/sword hits.
>>
>>385633076
>Do you think it's better to have a vanity slot system, or just allow people to upgrade any gear to top tiers?
If you're going to use a skill system tied to gear then vanity slots are a bad idea, since you can't tell what playstyle the other players will have (like looking at a lance main's armor to tell if he's going to guard or evade lance).
>>
>>385633076
basically don't make maps like the ones in 4U.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.