[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Guys, big problem here. I got hired by a game studio to work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

Guys, big problem here. I got hired by a game studio to work on some game, but this team is making me fed up with it all.

>game is a full 3d arena fighter
>setting is a semi modern semi futuristic I dunno wtf city
>arenas have hazards, destructible things, and varied terrain like slopes, stuff to climb on, etc
>theme is generally mafia and crime organization stuff

I thought this would be cool when it was all told to me, but then I saw the game that was being developed so far before I got there, and... I don't know how else to put it, it looks fucking gay as shit. The artstyle looks like a mix of that Tera online mmo and Jojo or some shit, it's not even like photorealistic or anything. The character designs are weird over the top shit with weird over the top powers and abilities and fighting styles(one of the characters is a guy with a gigantic pistol on his back, another is a woman that fights using razor sharp playing cards and dice and shit). The game is a fucking mess.

Now, I told them my ideas to fix it, and they shot them all down. I suggested making the setting more realistic and much more dark and gritty, like fucked up like real mafia shit, changing the art style to a more photorealism thing and not that weeb anime shit, and making the character designs and their gameplay realistic and more down to earth, like actual mobsters and stuff fighting. All gets shot down, get told it's too "edgy" and not what they want.

Wtf do I do? This game is destined for failure, no one is going to be interested in this shit, it looks too fucking weird and anime, like jojo and one piece and some Korean mmo had sex and this was the kid. It's fucking stupid looking. Any way I can force these guys to see this shit won't work, or am I stuck?
>>
>>385586416
You sound like a faggot desu, I'm glad they're not listening to you.
>>
>>385586569
I sound like a faggot? I'm sorry but when you're doing goofy shit like this, you ARE the faggot. This guy here is how that woman I mentioned fights, tell me this doesn't look fucking silly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_8MVkAHaPA

It's dumb and ruins the cool aspect of the whole mafia theme to have characters doing shit like this.
>>
>>385586569
fpbp

OP should gtfo to reddit or /b/ or whatever shithole he came from.
>>
That game sounds fun op, your idea doesn't
>>
>>385587010
How does my idea not sound fun? Because it isn't full of gay looking shit like people fighting with stupid weapons and powers?
>>
>>385586759
why would you use king of fighters as an example?

king of fighters is a GOAT series so it won't look silly to me, sorry but it sounds like you are just nitpicky. If you don't like the art style that much either leave or don't complain. they obviously aren't gonna change it.
>>
File: 1496720625337.jpg (71KB, 784x412px) Image search: [Google]
1496720625337.jpg
71KB, 784x412px
>>385586569
Great reply, dicksmoker
>>385586416
OP, if I were you, I would try to show them examples of other games that get it right.
That means do not show them any anime fighters like blaz blue and don't show them stuff like dark souls.

Maybe tekken might be a good idea, or something that you personally can pull examples from. Whatever you do, make sure you do it fast because it sounds like those people will lose interest.
Or if that doesn't work, see what minor things you can bring up since they refuse to change what they have. Music can make or break games, same with terrible writing.
>>
>>385587367
>Tekken

You're joking right? The game full of people in wacky clothes using magic and fighting demons and shit? No no no no no. What I have in mind for the game is none of that weird Japanese junk. I'm thinking more western, more grounded, more realistic. I showed them def jam fight for new York ad suggested something like that but more realistic and none of the over the top moves and stuff. Got shot down. These people seem determined to cling to their pathetic anime shit, it's sad.
>>
Another issue I have is the game isn't violent enough. The game surprisingly has violence and even bloodshed, which I am impressed a weeb thing would even have that sort of thing. But the way it's done, all the over the top characters and fighting ruins it. Let em give an example, their game and a concept I had to show the difference and my vision:

>one of the characters has a move where he rapidly punches someone nonstop, his arms moving so fast they're like a blur, as the opponent coughs up blood

Now my idea to change it
>the character punches them once in the stomach very hard, then in the throat to incapacitate them. He then knocks them down, gets on top, and starts to put his thumbs into their eyes, pressing hard to gogue them out. After gouging the eyes out the opponent screams as blood sprays all over, and the the character proceeds to set them up for a gruesome curb stomp maneuver. Cue the fatality type thing with cop sirens blaring in the background when the kill is confirmed.
>>
>>385586416
That sounds like some baller shit.
you sound like a faggot and your idea sounds boring as shit.
You ever consider meeting them halfway? Keep the stupid powers and designs, but give it a more distinct style than 'anime'.
The characters sound unique and stylish, the fact you want to abandon them for grim realism is lame as fuck. Especially for an arena fighter. '

Fighters need to be stupid as shit, because punching people gets pretty boring. Thats why street fighter has fireballs and shit.
>>
>>385588414
>this whole post

Okay this has to be bait or you are a tremendous autist.

Are you even on the creative end of this game? Sounds like you were hired to be a code monkey.
Fuck you talking about "your vision" like you this game is yours in any way.
>>
This is some solid viral marketing. Way better than that Strafe asshole that was here a couple weeks ago.
>>
>>385588608
>Fighters need to be stupid as shit, because punching people gets pretty boring. Thats why street fighter has fireballs and shit.

Yeah and that mentality is how we ended up with shit like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfZSmOKgHw0

You don't need wacky powers and design for good fun fighting. It's worse here because the theme could make for a very mature, thought provoking game, something very dark. Organized crime, what it means for society, how these people got into it, etc. Not some wacky fight fest with weird people fighting just because. I know one of the characters is a female crime boss, who in their weeb plot got their by scheming and killing people off til she got the throne. Which is silly and unrealistic, a woman would not get that far though that alone. I suggested her plot be more dark, like her working as a prostitute in her early years, and some experiences with being brutally raped caused her to want to try and rise up, and she does so via scheming but also sex appeal, luring in men with sex then killing them, or trading her body for deals to get ahead. Their plot is too whimsical and anime, mine is more real, raw, gritty.

>>385588823
I was hired as a creative consultant and I work on music as well. The problem is their theme makes MY job hard to do well because of how dumb it is.
>>
stale pasta
>>
>>385588608
Also to their credit, the style is distinct visually, makes me think of jojo a little bit and something else. Problem is anime itself is a simple minded form of art, and just not capable of evoking true emotion or depicting a more mature and dark setting. Like trying to recreate the battle of Gettysburg with lego pieces.
>>
>>385589379
>>385589226
As said, meet them halfway.

Take a look at No More Heroes. Its got dumb anime shit, but its pretty fucking brutal and gets real edgy more often than not.
Also look at Hotline Miami, the game is pretty much the same level of gore, brutality and realism that you want, yet ultimately its a gaudy over the top game with guy that gets powers from animal masks.

My point is, restriction and compromise can create something unique and interesting.
>>
>>385586416
this bait is really really not subtle enough
>>
>>385590518
>implying anime is ever subtle
>>
>>385588414
the game sounds like a normal fighting game

what you are putting out sounds like a boring wrestling game

i can see the art style changing of course, but fighting games are made to be ridiculous with the moves not realistic one shots.
>>
>>385590706
>normal fighting game

You just pointed out exactly why it's bad. Fighting games suck, have shitty character designs, and poor storytelling.
>>
>>385586416
Is that a Sephiroth reference?
>>
>>385591089
>implying jojo would ever copy final fantasy and not the other way around
>>
File: notgohan.jpg (286KB, 773x835px) Image search: [Google]
notgohan.jpg
286KB, 773x835px
>>385591219
It copied plenty of other things so I don't see why not.
>>
Goddammit op you better stop them, JoJo is the gayest looking anime ever made
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.