[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The protagonist of Max Brooks’ new fantasy novel doesn’t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: Mine.png (538KB, 720x995px) Image search: [Google]
Mine.png
538KB, 720x995px
>The protagonist of Max Brooks’ new fantasy novel doesn’t have a name, a gender or even normal human appendages. Instead of hands, the narrator has clumsy, flesh-toned cubes, just one more weird feature of the strange and unsettling world where the story unfolds, where everything — the sun, clouds, cows, mushrooms, watermelons — is composed of squares.
>“Minecraft: The Island,” which was released this month by the science fiction and fantasy publisher Del Rey, represents an unusual experiment in multiplatform brand extension. It marks the first officially sanctioned novel commissioned by Mojang, the Swedish game studio behind “Minecraft.”
>As product spinoffs go, a series of novels seems like a natural step for Mojang, which already has a wildly successful publishing line of gaming manuals. (A feature film is also in the works, at Warner Bros.) Since 2013, the children’s publisher Scholastic has published 10 “Minecraft” titles, which have 25 million copies in print.
>But commissioning a brand-approved “Minecraft” novel posed unique creative and commercial challenges. How do you create a story with a beginning, a middle and an end out of an open-ended game? And would gamers bother to pick up a nearly 300-page novel about “Minecraft,” when they could be spending their free time playing it?
>Brooks — a cheerful, enthusiastic paranoiac who is obsessed with survival strategies, zombies, apocalyptic scenarios and plagues — wrote the story as a first-person, Robinson Crusoe-esque narrative, featuring an initially hapless character who is stranded on a strange island and has to build shelter, find food, and fight off zombies and giant spiders, all features that exist in the game.

What game would make for a good book series?
>>
>>385560583

What the fuck happened to vidya?
>>
>>385560583
any game with an interesting world and rich lore to expand upon.
>>
>>385560759
Video games got novels before. Even Megaman 2 got one.
>>
>When Mojang asked if he would be interested in writing a “Minecraft” novel, Brooks was so enthusiastic that he wrote a full draft before his contract was even completed. For the most part, Mojang gave him freedom to write the story however he wanted. The company’s only instructions had to do with the protagonist’s physical appearance.
>“They were very hands off when it came to the story, but very hands on when it came to inclusiveness,” he said.
>Mojang wanted to make sure that any “Minecraft” player could pick up the novel and imagine himself or herself in it. The company even commissioned two different versions of the audiobook, one by a female narrator, Samira Wiley, and another by a man, actor Jack Black, so that listeners can choose a narrator of either gender.
>Keeping the character’s identity ambiguous wasn’t too hard: Because the hero is stranded alone on an island, with only animals and other ghoulish creatures to talk to, Brooks was able to avoid using gendered pronouns.

Based Mojang
>>
>>385560583
Ez pz
Dark Souls.
>>
>>385561057
>another by a man, actor Jack Black
I wonder what it sounds like.
>>
File: d.jpg (7KB, 712x267px) Image search: [Google]
d.jpg
7KB, 712x267px
>>385561057
Keeping their priorities straight.
>>
>>385561039
wrong

note the special mention of the main character not having a gender. this is blatent sjw shilling
>>
>>385561735
Not having a gender and not mentioning gender are two different things and isn't a SJW concept.

Some of the best games of all time have ambiguous protagonists.
>>
>>385563042
B-but muh SJW boogeyman
>>
>>385560583
>from World War Z to a video game tie-in
My, My, how the might have pollen
>>
>>385563582
World War Z was schlock
This is schlock

No surprises
>>
File: avgn 1490056911518.jpg (42KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
avgn 1490056911518.jpg
42KB, 500x333px
>>385561039
>Video games got novels before. Even Megaman 2 got one.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6_XJHcHg7I
>>
>>385561657
>wanting to listen to jack black over a woman
what r u? a homo?
>>
File: colbert mad uber 1493928580002.jpg (318KB, 929x595px) Image search: [Google]
colbert mad uber 1493928580002.jpg
318KB, 929x595px
>>385561057
>only two genders
>>
>>385560583
>What game would make for a good book series?

literally any one of them in the hands of a good writter
even fucking tetris
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.